can;t say no to projects

so, I just became the owner of another boat.......1978 S&S Yankee Dolphin 24....it will be a yearlong restoration of a very pretty boat

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I love it when other people restore boats. Quoting Sgt Hulka from Stripes - "I'm getting too old for this shit".  Looking forward to the progress.

When you're too old for messing about in boats then you're just waiting to die.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, dacapo said:

so, I just became the owner of another boat.......1978 S&S Yankee Dolphin 24....it will be a yearlong restoration of a very pretty boat

Great choice. Start a thread with pics, please. Please, Please, Please, Please.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

When you're too old for messing about in boats then you're just waiting to die.

Keeping a boat up and running is enough "messing" for me.  

I'd rather go sailing.

9 hours ago, IStream said:

Just in time for sailing season! You must be a masochist.

besides my "real" job, i fix boats..this spring I just completed : 1 complete deck repair on a C&C 29, 1 keel fair on a catalina 30, re gelcoat of starboard side of a Pearson 27,  various bottom jobs, waxed 5 boats, painted 6 bottoms, gelcoat repair on a menger catboat,  new bulkhead in a catalina 25 and just started a bulkhead repair on a cal 29 (removal of 2 rotton bulkheads and replacement)....

• Like 1
15 hours ago, dacapo said:

Did you buy Robin Lee in Marina Del Rey?

27 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Did you buy Robin Lee in Marina Del Rey?

No this is east coast. It was given to me free. But we know free isn’t all free 

54B8F6F1-CD19-43F5-AA57-CFC798CC8151.thumb.jpeg.978c8a3022e22eb7707e2d12b156f642.jpeg

just power washed years of grime and dirt off the topsides. The teK is in great shape except for a toe rail needs rebedding. 

Bottom take down barrier coat paint 

center board had a ton of barnacles that need to be removed 

new front hatchboards 

interior needs work

Harlem furler in good shape. Ice main and genny in fine shape 

raymarine electronics st60’s

johnson 9hp In outboard well

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I've heard about that new sailing gear company called HARLEM. Good to see inner city kids getting into the marine hardware business.

It could of had a perferl B)

“One cannot buy a biggish boat as if buying a piece of soap.  The act is almost as irrevocable as marriage and should be given as much thought.  Even if the boat is bought merely to look at, as some are, it has to lie somewhere.  Expenses begin at once and if the boat is an old one they will rise in arithmetical progression until either something happens to it or the owner finds himself in Carey street.” 

-H. W. Tilman, Ice with Everything

34 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

The free boat wasn't in Sag Harbor by chance? 

No at my yacht club I didn’t even have to move it anywhere 

• Like 1

Interesting, as a 1978 build date would put your Dolphin right at the end of production, does it still have the ID plate with the hull # on the bulkhead?

5 hours ago, Out West said:

Interesting, as a 1978 build date would put your Dolphin right at the end of production, does it still have the ID plate with the hull # on the bulkhead?

it does

I havent looked at it to get the info off of it yet...

On 6/15/2019 at 6:07 AM, dacapo said:

besides my "real" job, i fix boats..this spring I just completed : 1 complete deck repair on a C&C 29, 1 keel fair on a catalina 30, re gelcoat of starboard side of a Pearson 27,  various bottom jobs, waxed 5 boats, painted 6 bottoms, gelcoat repair on a menger catboat,  new bulkhead in a catalina 25 and just started a bulkhead repair on a cal 29 (removal of 2 rotton bulkheads and replacement)....

Do you make enough on these to at least cover your costs?   I ask, because it's starting to sound like you might need a reference to a support group for folks w/a savior complex. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Do you make enough on these to at least cover your costs?   I ask, because it's starting to sound like you might need a reference to a support group for folks w/a savior complex. 

the boat work this spring paid for :  new sheets, new halyards, all new B&G electronics including  Zeus 9 plotter,  and my vacation to Honduras in August..........and enough to pay taxes on the income as well ;-) 

I charge 1/2 of what the closest boat yard charges and I get the work done sooner........

3 minutes ago, dacapo said:

the boat work this spring paid for :  new sheets, new halyards, all new B&G electronics including  Zeus 9 plotter,  and my vacation to Honduras in August..........and enough to pay taxes on the income as well ;-) 

I charge 1/2 of what the closest boat yard charges and I get the work done sooner........

Good for you - I tend to spend time and money I'll never get back on my resto projects, just because "it COULD be made good again". 

19 hours ago, dacapo said:

??   why the grumpy face....those are the pre pics

Not grumpy, simply a play on before / tomorrow....... as in I will do it earlier tomorrow....

• Like 1
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:59 AM, Rasputin22 said:

I've heard about that new sailing gear company called HARLEM. Good to see inner city kids getting into the marine hardware business.

They're the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers, I'll have you know...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Let's get an update and some pics of the progress on the Dolphin, just 2 months down on a 12 month plan.     (I am 12 months into a 1 month project redoing toe rails because all the other other projects that started...)

On 8/24/2019 at 6:25 PM, blurocketsmate said:

Just saw this thread -- congrats!  Looking forward to getting mine back in the water.  I owe Ron an update, even if it's a no-update update.

good to see another Dolphin owner. My boat hasn;t had much love recently.  Junior sailing through July took all my energy andf I just got back 3 days ago from a 3 week vacation to Honduras.  Got to tyhe boat today to make a punch list of things I want to work on this fall before it gets too cold.

1.  get the topsides prepped for repainting in the spring (sanding, fairing...)

2. removes all the teak and over the winter, clean and varnish

3. rebed all the ports perhaps that will get started Tomorrow.

4. remove the remaining crap from the previous owner out of the Lazerett

5. get the Yamaha 8hp outboard out of the well and  get it running and winterize it

6. If I have time, the hull will be sanded, faired and ready for barrier coating and new bottom paint in the spring

I'll have more pics this week as the Insurance com. wants more as well

BTW....Hull #176  current name is "Breezin", but will be renamed "Heaven Sent"

• Like 1
On 6/17/2019 at 6:09 AM, dacapo said:

it does

I havent looked at it to get the info off of it yet...

so, after straightening things out, its not a 78.  That was on the original Bill of Sale to me, but the Reg said 71 but the  hull number tells me 70 so I had to get previous owner to resend me a new bill of sale ....Hull Number #176

FBC3CEEE-0F18-4D7F-9A46-E065CF4EF11A.thumb.jpeg.9bd0f49b57ebbbc7a2e79a9754d32043.jpeg

That brass plaque is a treasure.

BTW, how do you handle the OB in a well? Is it continuously submerged? I was wondering from the standpoint of anti-fouling, electrolysis, etc.

Every time I've seen one of these in a marina, my first reaction is always, "Oooh, that looks nice, what is it?" One of the few small boats that looks like a proper yacht. 

This is a worthy cause. 

• Like 2
On 8/27/2019 at 9:25 AM, Bull City said:

That brass plaque is a treasure.

BTW, how do you handle the OB in a well? Is it continuously submerged? I was wondering from the standpoint of anti-fouling, electrolysis, etc.

Mine came with a 6hp Tohatsu SailPro -- ideal for motoring, but pretty big to be taking in/out of the well.  I would do it, but it's a pain.  Besides weighing 55#, it's really long/tall.  A smaller motor, just enough for daysailing, could be lifted up and laid sideways in the lazarette, where the motor well is. 

My motor was left in the water for a year.  It got a bunch of barnacles on it, and some hard growth in the cooling passages.  A good flushing with some acid takes care of it.  But I would never leave it in the water again, antifouling or no.  And I'd probably remove it from the boat, to keep it from getting stolen.

BTW I just sent Ron an update, for the Dolphin site.  Boat is Two Moons, #250 (built by Pacific).

For Bull (a painter) and the Dolphin owners. During that period I took the shot posted above of the Dolphin on the public landing, I noticed a plein aire painter had set up on the hill above and behind us as we worked on our boats for a few hours. 

Just a couple weeks ago, I stumbled on this painting in a local galley, and recognized it immediately. The painter is a young guy who I'm sure is going places. It's good. 

931507323_Publiclandingimpression.thumb.jpg.744b67148476bc4da069cfee7589706c.jpg

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

All right, this thread may only be of interest to 3 Dolphin owners and a few enthusiasts but let's revive it.  I just learned I am now supposed to work and home school my kids for another 5 weeks. I expect there's a lot of screen time coming for all of us.   While dacapo is the OP, I'll just throw in some of my efforts in putting a Dolphin back in shape.  I started with pulling her out of down east yard in Jonesport Maine where she was laid up for about 3 years.  

savili port bow.jpg

• Like 3
On 6/14/2019 at 7:51 PM, dacapo said:

I wase hoppeng youde helpe me builde a yukalleley.  Haive anny free time fiorre me?                                           :)

On 9/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, Kris Cringle said:

For Bull (a painter) and the Dolphin owners. During that period I took the shot posted above of the Dolphin on the public landing, I noticed a plein aire painter had set up on the hill above and behind us as we worked on our boats for a few hours. 

Just a couple weeks ago, I stumbled on this painting in a local galley, and recognized it immediately. The painter is a young guy who I'm sure is going places. It's good. 

931507323_Publiclandingimpression.thumb.jpg.744b67148476bc4da069cfee7589706c.jpg

Didde you buye it?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Didde you buye it?

Ha! No. I don't even remember the price but it was beyond what I would spend(maybe I should check to what the price is NOW, if they still have it). 

I liked this one better that I was unaware was painted many years ago from a photo. This was so carefully detailed I could date it by the carbon dripping out of the exhaust from the engine I replaced over 10 years ago. 

I never checked the price on this either. Hard to justify when you always have something to replace or upgrade on a boat. Hope someone is enjoying it, somewhere. 

1792040693_Christmaspainting.jpg.a7a1489bf19e053fa09bb0d1aa9b01f9.jpg

• 3 months later...

@dacapo There's now 4 of us Dolphin fixers (non-sailing status) here, how's the work going on #176?  My ongoing slog is posted in fix it anarchy....working on an engine swap, stuck in cleaning mode

12 hours ago, Out West said:

@dacapo There's now 4 of us Dolphin fixers (non-sailing status) here, how's the work going on #176?  My ongoing slog is posted in fix it anarchy....working on an engine swap, stuck in cleaning mode

Which thread? You should each start a separate thread for your project.