My son got his hands on a free yacht, a foxhound 24. She had been waiting for two years on the wharf when he got her. The water stood 20 cm in her hull. But he saw her fine lines and decided to restore her (a bit). It is a no-budget boat, he is a student. But he can use all the boat related stuff I collected in 40 years.

I filmed it and what started as a funny videoclip ended a bit melancholic, seeing him sailing away (ish).

It is a long clip, 9 min. But you can blame Johann Strauss for that, he composed the Blue Danube and made it 9 minutes.  

Enjoy:

• Like 15

Totally cool - a good boat saved and a young guy learning a bunch and gaining an asset for nothing but some hard work.

What's not to like?

Congrats on raising such a fine, hard working and enterprising young man; I'm sure you are rightfully quite proud!  Nice film too!!  Not too long at all...

8 minutes ago, 12345 said:

way cooler than a car... and it has a down below

ABSOLUTELY!!  The quality of young women that a young boat owner can attract, are typically way cooler, than guys that just have a car!!! 

• Like 7
26 minutes ago, 12345 said:

way cooler than a car... and it has a down below

This.

(I never really got the car thing.)

Funny enough, I have a free boat in my yard, a Cal 20, certainly in much better shape than this boat...but I just can’t seem to part with it...I had/have a “buyer”, but I haven’t been very motivated to follow up.  Go figure...the romance dies hard, even for a two boat-owner :-). And this, despite the fact that the woman who wants it has sailed tall ships, restored a 27’er (Ericsson?), sailed quite a bit and really knows sailboats, so my old Cal 20 would go to a great owner, but still I’m not ready... :-)

• Like 1

Nice..  My only question is why didn't he/you hit her hard with the power washer and get some wax on her before splashing.  Tons easier to do while on the hard.  Otherwise, good show!!!

• Like 1

Very enjoyable - of course the music for those of my generation will be forever tied to 2001, hopefully not the # of hours it took to bring her back.

From the dikes and windmills this is the Netherlands?  Thanks for posting.

Very nice. I hope the sails were not stored in the boat! Looking forward to actual sailing.

I too acquired a "free" boat, a 1978 Tanzer 22, several years ago. I was looking for a fixed keel boat to replace my centerboard O'Day 23. It was looking forlorn on the hard in our marina, and had been padlocked for several years of unpaid storage fees. The marina offered to waive the unpaid fees if I took it over and moved it. When I eventually tracked down the owner he offered it for free, plus he had five sails in their bags in his dry storage. I gave him $500 for the sails even though he did not ask it, plus spent another $500 to add a mainsail cover, swim ladder, storm jib, and a few little fixes. It need some cleanup as the companionway hatch had opened up and raccoons had taken up residence. I later redid the bottom paint myself, another $250 and countless hours of effort, never again! I initially borrowed a friend's old gas outboard, but eventually added an electric trolling motor, battery, and solar panel for another $500, just to get in and out of our small marina. The real cost is the slip rent at $1100 a year. Sadly my central Illinois sailing lake is far less attractive than your countryside, but we do have a sailing club, and a little restaurant as a destination for late afternoon and evening sailing.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, crankcall said:

That  engine firing up made my day.

Yeah that was a happy moment, amazing it was. Sloppy belts, rusty starter motor, rusty alternator, but I guess the motor just runs out of habit after all these years. 

But now I want to get the engine valves good, I guess that isn't done in years. Oh wait... he has to get the valves good, not me. I will film it instead.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peter Bosman said:

It took about one hour, but that was because we had some ropes in the wrong place. 

If you don't do this on a regular basis, it is easy to get a tad confused.  I was a pro rigger back in the day but now, having to do the Etchells rigs up and down infrequently, it sometimes take a while to get it right.....

22 hours ago, Peter Bosman said:

Oh wait... he has to get the valves good, not me. I will film it instead.

Peter, spoken like a father who knows what he's doing. Bravo!

On 6/22/2019 at 6:27 AM, Peter Bosman said:

I filmed it and what started as a funny videoclip ended a bit melancholic, seeing him sailing away (ish).

Absolutely totally brilliant parenting. Well done.

He's now well on his way to a life of poverty, skipping work for sailing and ditching girl friends for regattas. Only to meet other girls, drink to excess and come home tired with a silly $2.00 flag that costs thousands to win. 

Lucky Bastard

• Like 2

Excellent video. You've taught some good values to your son. Also, that's a handsome boat. Would be nice to see some more videos of the progress. And it's an Ufa Fox design as well.

On 6/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, TheDragon said:

Very nice. I hope the sails were not stored in the boat! Looking forward to actual sailing.

I too acquired a "free" boat, a 1978 Tanzer 22, several years ago. I was looking for a fixed keel boat to replace my centerboard O'Day 23. It was looking forlorn on the hard in our marina, and had been padlocked for several years of unpaid storage fees. The marina offered to waive the unpaid fees if I took it over and moved it. When I eventually tracked down the owner he offered it for free, plus he had five sails in their bags in his dry storage. I gave him $500 for the sails even though he did not ask it, plus spent another $500 to add a mainsail cover, swim ladder, storm jib, and a few little fixes. It need some cleanup as the companionway hatch had opened up and raccoons had taken up residence. I later redid the bottom paint myself, another $250 and countless hours of effort, never again! I initially borrowed a friend's old gas outboard, but eventually added an electric trolling motor, battery, and solar panel for another $500, just to get in and out of our small marina. The real cost is the slip rent at $1100 a year. Sadly my central Illinois sailing lake is far less attractive than your countryside, but we do have a sailing club, and a little restaurant as a destination for late afternoon and evening sailing.

Sails were stored on the boat. But only mainsail is dirty.

Well and the rent he pays at his sailing club is 300 euro per year. It is one of the cheaper clubs, at a small lake, one hour sailing from sea and freshwater lakes.

On 5/14/2019 at 3:43 PM, Peter Bosman said:

Mariage, executions and a head on a spike: a story with a bit anarchy.

This is a short video I made, 5 min.  I stumbled upon it while did the research for my Sailing Guide for the Netherlands.

cruel story about an old chart