Grinder

Chicago/Mackinac Race 2019

Right now on the west shore of Lake Michigan, south of MKE, the wind is 12 or so from the SSE.  Out at NOAA weather buoy 45007 is is about 10 knots from the South.  Tomorrow does not look as favorable.

35 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Or go left. I’ll have cold beer available. 

That's outside assistance!

6 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

That's outside assistance!

If I happen to drop twelve packs in foam coolers in front of boats unsolicited, I think that’s actually legal. The key is a lack of communication!  :D

It's blowing great over here in Ann Arbor from the West.  Maybe hold this race in BloKarts.

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

If I happen to drop twelve packs in foam coolers in front of boats unsolicited, I think that’s actually legal. The key is a lack of communication!  :D

Well, in that case they're just keeping the Lake clean. So, go left!

21 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

I have beer, too.  Go right!

Good beer too.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:46 PM, dyslexic dog said:

aaahhhh. I'm returning the C&C from the Island on the 23rd. I'll look for him on the way. If he is back to work by then. This year is the year of the fly. If you don't have and electric tennis racket you will be sorry.

He might still be out there that week. I’ll tell him to keep an eye out for you. AIS transponder on Eliminator?

Tuesdays forecast looks interesting on sailflow. Gusts up to 42 kts out of SSW.

Sail safe.

Edited by More Cowbell2
Spelling

The Class 1 boats and Multis are making their way N pretty well.

2 hours ago, Geff said:

The Class 1 boats and Multis are making their way N pretty well.

So Todd and Ryan must feel pretty good about going 5-6kts for the past few hours and it looks like they're going to park again in a few hours.  I'd hide any sharp objects from Ryan and up the Xanax in his coffee!  :D

• Like 1

At 9:45 CDT Section 1 boats are off Ludington with Heartbreaker and Stripes near the rhumb line doing 2.5 kts and 4.3 kts.  The other boats in sec 1 are grouped to the west and doing 5.0 to 6.5 kts.  

Up with those boats is Earth Voyager doing 6 kts.  The remaining multis are grouped together 15NM south and doing 4.0 kts.

Yep, screaming along.

Good news is that VMG is 100%

• Like 1

Whitehawk is making the turn into the Straits (or has already made it), in the lead.  The new owner, Peter Thronton, thought the race demons were going to leave him in their wake.  Looks like Thornton got the perfect weather for a classic 105' ketch.

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

Whitehawk is making the turn into the Straits (or has already made it), in the lead.  The new owner, Peter Thronton, thought the race demons were going to leave him in their wake.  Looks like Thornton got the perfect weather for a classic 105' ketch.

The first 24hrs were great, the last 20 have been a struggle.  They still have a long way to go to the finish but great effort so far.  

• Like 1

Wind at White Shoal Light is 9.0 kts from WSW (240 degrees) - nice angle for a broad reach home.

Meanwhile NOAA weather buoy 45002 (North Lake MI) shows wind at 3.9 kts at 210.  Notice the fly on the camera lens

2019 CYC Sunday 45002.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

So Todd and Ryan must feel pretty good about going 5-6kts for the past few hours and it looks like they're going to park again in a few hours.  I'd hide any sharp objects from Ryan and up the Xanax in his coffee!  :D

That's hilarious!  And you are so right on!  Before upping the Xanax in his coffee though, maybe the crew should grind up a big portion of it and have him inhale it.  Then the remainder goes in his coffee :D

• Like 1

Little wind along the shore from Ludington to Glen Arbor is starting to take its toll.  Appears 9 live IV (Cruising 2) is motoring on a very straight course at 7.0 kts while boats nearby at doing 2.0 kts.  Watch how they pass Joint Venture, an identical Hunter Legend 37 off their port side.

For those that don't fully appreciate the variability of Lake Michigan, watch how it plays out.  Boats on the Grays to Bridge run are flying, boats 20nm are doing circles.  

I've only done 26 or so, and always think of the race in four sections:

1.  Start to Betsie

2.  Betsie to Grays

3.  Grays to the Bridge

4.  Bridge to the Finish

You're not done until you hear the cannon.  I have been on boats that won and lost the race on each segment.  Earth Voyager might not see the Tous until after dark!  The low-rated boats are going to love this as CYC (rightfully) goes with a ToT system and if the weather kicks in, they will finish flying vs drifting.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a T10 win it.  A few boats have done awesome so far (Talisman and the Dobroth 43) and will probably get screwed.  

Good luck to all!

• Like 1

As excited as I am to see EV doing 11knts, that'l the equivalent to taking your dog for a walk.  20+ gets their attention.

• Like 1

What is up with FANTOME  (Morgan 36T) in section 9 off Arcadia?  They just did a 180 and heading south.  Hope not MOB.

[EDIT]  What ever that was is seems like they are back on course.

2019 CYC fantome 2.JPG

Looks like EV did a turn n burn.  Drop card off at tent, and head down to PH.  Good on 'em...wasting no time on the Island.

Looks like friends on 36.7 Soulshine enjoyed the smell of brats and cheese on the way up. Wisconsin shore paid off big. 17miles in front of their OD class with 33mi to go. Nice first race for the owners young son.

• Like 2

front 3 J111s are within a mile of each other

Rowdy and Warlock have been close together for a long while

Go Rowdy :).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ropetrick said:

Talisman had an expired flare at inspection.

Will that kick them off the podium?

Yes

Just now, Shorthanded said:

Yes

I take that back. Not excesarily. Depends on the penalty. In the past, they would bump you one spot down for an inspection infraction. 

3 hours ago, Geff said:

Looks like EV did a turn n burn.  Drop card off at tent, and head down to PH.  Good on 'em...wasting no time on the Island.

Really happy if Dave holds on to win.  Nice comeback from being upside down!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

I take that back. Not excesarily. Depends on the penalty. In the past, they would bump you one spot down for an inspection infraction. 

My favorite was about 20yrs ago, a boat from your club was penalized for not having a first aid manual.  The two owners were a surgeon and anesthesiologist and the crew included an OR nurse.  It didn't cost them a place but it was funny as hell.  

• Like 2

Talisman was given a 10 minute scoring penalty

Check out the Eagle vs Manitou battle.  Both Syd38s and .1nm between them with 11nm to go!

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Talisman was given a 10 minute scoring penalty

That is fine.

You never know what will come out of The Room, especially at CYC.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Really happy if Dave holds on to win.  Nice comeback from being upside down!

Right on!  Dave and his crew so deserve it, earned it, and all that goes along with it!  And last I checked, EV appears to be tied up at our favorite Roger's City.

• Like 1

Chico 2 (Mod 1D35) Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. The owner Jim Weyand is one of the nicest  guys you will ever meet!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Geff said:

Right on!  Dave and his crew so deserve it, earned it, and all that goes along with it!  And last I checked, EV appears to be tied up at our favorite Roger's City.

Hopefully, Ryan can get the help there that he probably needs at this point!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FINS said:

Chico 2 (Mod 1D35) Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. The owner Jim Weyand is one of the nicest  guys you will ever meet!

I will second the Jim Weyand endorsement. Great customer too.

This year is an aberration.  Nothing makes sense!  Thanks to Lake Michigan that nothing is predictable!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

This year is an aberration.  Nothing makes sense!  Thanks to Lake Michigan that nothing is predictable!

I disagree. I freaking nailed it. (I am a great guy, just ask me)  Many thanks to all of the WxRouting customers. Bringing home the hardware!

While this year's race was more challenging, it was a question of doing a lot of continuity runs and then throwing out the garbage.

Bring on the haters.

32 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

I disagree. I freaking nailed it. (I am a great guy, just ask me)  Many thanks to all of the WxRouting customers. Bringing home the hardware!

While this year's race was more challenging, it was a question of doing a lot of continuity runs and then throwing out the garbage.

Bring on the haters.

List your customers!

My comment was based on the fact that some really well sailed boats ended up in the weeds.  My brother is on a boat with many winners and are sucking hind tit.  

Mark, 

I've done 28 including 2 solo, check yourself.  

Hindsight is 10:10.

Sounds like a good job by mark, well done sir! Maybe your brothers boat should think about using him next time for wxrouting.

Who in Elementary School ever aspired to sell T-shirts?  You go Mark, you seem like a decent guy but you have clearly hit a nerve.  

Looking at the Bene 36.7 class for my buddy and see 7 boats heading due north at 0.0 kts.  Seems the wind machine turned off.

If they want to get in by dark, then they have to head east.

Mark, 

How (and I haven't seen it) did your forecast differ from Commander's. 

Put up?

And to show us your not a one trick pony, post up your 2018 prediction.  

Don't expect a reply but a t-shirt ad.  

9 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Mark, 

How (and I haven't seen it) did your forecast differ from Commander's. 

Put up?

And to show us your not a one trick pony, post up your 2018 prediction.  

Don't expect a reply but a t-shirt ad.  

I have not seen Commanders so I can't compare with theirs. The fundamentals of the forecast for this year's MAC race were to stay in the Western 1/3 of the lake and getting north was key. This was the first year that we recommended staying outside the Manitous as well.  There was a lot for detail but these are the key differences from years past.

Here is a snippet from the race forecast:

1030HRS CDT.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight.

Weather hazards expected:

Limited Thunderstorm Risk.

The storm complex moving rapidly to the East over Wisconsin may bring an increased chance of thunderstorms. NWS Chicago and NWS Milwaukee aren’t saying much about it but there is some cloud to ground lightning (Screen shot sent to you earlier).  Certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Good morning:

The forecast models have come into better agreement as of late last night. A lazy and less than impressive front is draped across the mid lake this morning.  A vigorous MCS system is moving SE @ 35 now. No hail being reported as of 1030CDT. The bulk of this system is about 170 miles to your west. A finger of energy is expanding to the East on the north side of this complex and likely is a result of frontal and increased energy interaction.  The air is going to be hot and humid over land and I can see the possibility of thunderstorms developing as the afternoon heats up the land and develops more lift.

The general strategy should remain the same unless we get a quantum change in the forecast. West 1/3 of the lake is good, north is good. Getting West early might not be so bad as the winds from just above Milwaukee are decidedly NW/NNW. East is bad. Simple…  Keep those foulies on hand. Looks like it could be wet after midnight  (afternoon showers are also likely in the vicinity of the front). On the bright side it should be downhill for a good deal of the race.

See, No tee shirt ad  ;-)

11 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

getting north was key.

I'm pretty sure that's key to every Mac race.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doghouse said:

And getting to the island as fast as possible is also key. 

• Like 1

Yeah, but usually via the east shore and inside the Manitous.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

And getting to the island as fast as possible is also key. 

That definitely helps.

That definitely helps.

You guys definitely are not wrong. LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doghouse said:

That definitely helps.

And no swimming most definitely helps...can't beat on Mark completely!

Edit, I'm delighted it is now something to laugh about.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Shorthanded said:

He might still be out there that week. I’ll tell him to keep an eye out for you. AIS transponder on Eliminator?

Yes. If we remember to turn it on. Last time your Bro said he couldn't see us. Duh.

We did not win. Spent a gorgeous evening reaching with an A3 around the Manitous under a nearly full moon, only to find out that the breeze turned on in the passage in the early AM. Had an embarrassing start when the bow team forgot to tie the spin sheets to the clew. Full flagpole on the start line. We did what seems like 100 sail changes. Definitely a record number, anyway.

Did anyone notice that the wind was almost exactly 90 degrees off the forecast all the way up the lake? The velocity and timing were fairly spot on. GFS had the pressure center and cold front just right. If anyone can explain, I'm all ears.

Anyone have stories of victory or epic fubars?

On 7/16/2019 at 5:14 AM, doghouse said:

And scoring more runs in baseball

1 hour ago, woahboy said:

And scoring more runs in baseball

and putting the biscuit in the basket

• Like 1

When there's warm weather and a cold lake, it gets pretty weird on LM. The atmosphere can sink or rise pretty fast, depending where you're at.
I trust that Lake in 15 minute increments.

Going back and looking at the tracker on a nice big screen...Now I get the frantic texts from people wondering what we were doing on Sat/Sun.  Had a plan and stuck to it.  21st trip, first time seeing Sheboygan as more than maybe a couple of lights off the stacks.  Hearing about all of the parking in our section, 36.7's...never stopped.  In fact, I don't think I recall seeing a speed below 3.5 at any time.  We had several tracks to run, and all of them were west, west, west....only one was even remotely close to the rhumb.  Nice to to see that the tracker did't know where the wind was coming from on Monday either...S@180 would have been awesome to run the straights in...instead we beat the whole way in shifty weird stuff.  Only opened up as we got about 1.5 and a half from the bridge.  That unfortunately is also where we realized that Goat Rodeo was our competition for the overall...might have played the lead into Gray's and the straights a little differently.  However I think they were watching that a little closer than we were, so I think they were more prepared for the fight at the end than we would have been.

Everyone on my boat knew the wi shore was the way to go, it’s amazing how most of the fleet just stuck with the normal and thus got left behind. 

So we were outside of Chico 2 (in our section) and Goat Rodeo Sat evening and watched them cross our stern and go inside. Talked briefly about covering, but ended up letting them go as we could sail faster at current angle. We are kicking ourselves now.

also fun fact, Chico 2 is set up for blast reaching and had 3 code zeros on board. So it was one of the best boats for the course this year. 

3 Code 0's...I guess I have becomes spoiled by the 36.7 limited inventories :P

We found the worlds' biggest parking lot over by Ludington (yes, the wrong side of the lake) and put all our change in the meter.... nonetheless, Ella was able to put together a little video here of our boat, Usual Suspects

https://vimeo.com/349332131?fbclid=IwAR0amJ0JiNeGZzxSggY5ZzGI1kO7Mp925PVuydQ-wWu-wC2RcoStO__X85Y

16 hours ago, 1sailor said:

We found the worlds' biggest parking lot over by Ludington (yes, the wrong side of the lake) and put all our change in the meter.... nonetheless, Ella was able to put together a little video here of our boat, Usual Suspects

https://vimeo.com/349332131?fbclid=IwAR0amJ0JiNeGZzxSggY5ZzGI1kO7Mp925PVuydQ-wWu-wC2RcoStO__X85Y

nice little video- good meeting the Suspects last week-

Sean Man 

MC>2

Thanks to everyone that came out to the Mustang for a little remembrance of Jon S.  

• Like 1

I’m confused.  The Mac claims it is the longest freshwater race at 333 miles.  The Trans-Superior makes the same claim with its 350 mile length.

Is there some qualifier that I’m missing, like oldest or annual or ???

Chicago-Mac is the longest annual. The longest is the GLSS Super Mac and Back.  Chicago to Port Huron and back (or you can go PH to Chicago and back). This is a solo race held every 3 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gangbusters said:

Chicago-Mac is the longest annual. The longest is the GLSS Super Mac and Back.  Chicago to Port Huron and back (or you can go PH to Chicago and back). This is a solo race held every 3 years.

Knew about super Mac and back to back.  Thanks on the annual qualifier

2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

I’m confused.  The Mac claims it is the longest freshwater race at 333 miles.  The Trans-Superior makes the same claim with its 350 mile length.

Is there some qualifier that I’m missing, like oldest or annual or ???

Mac race wants the length to be "longer", so they always use 333 statute miles, (289 nautical)  the Trans is 326 nautical miles (375 statute miles).

The Trans Stupid is run every other year, as it is tough to keep folks enthusiastic about freezing your ass off on an annual basis. 

Hands down, the Trans is the harder race. That said, the Super Mac / SuperMac and Back would qualify as the longest distance race.

Where as BYC has the claim as the longest consecutively ran fresh water distance race, or something like that.

You can put a spin on anything.  

Anything to attract participants and sponsorship dollars.

We have a new crew member that wants to collect something from every MAC race and she has done 2.  She "wanted" to collect those brass medallions that are a pic of the lake and round island light house on it with the year. 

She missed the crew meeting to clean the boat after the race...which I don't recommend especially if your father owns the boat and everyone else show's.  

I am kindly looking for a replacement because our's was given to someone else.   Different story.

Anyone?  I would appreciate it...

46 minutes ago, proOC said:

We have a new crew member that wants to collect something from every MAC race and she has done 2.  She "wanted" to collect those brass medallions that are a pic of the lake and round island light house on it with the year. 

She missed the crew meeting to clean the boat after the race...which I don't recommend especially if your father owns the boat and everyone else show's.  

I am kindly looking for a replacement because our's was given to someone else.   Different story.

Anyone?  I would appreciate it...

Oh dude it sounds like you have left out a TON of juicy info on this one

If Daddy / RO knows she wants the medallion AND she missed the clean up part AND daddy still wants her to have the trinket...... you need to find another boat

Tell us how you really feel.

Just trying to see how generous my friends are.

15 minutes ago, RATM said:

Oh dude it sounds like you have left out a TON of juicy info on this one

If Daddy / RO knows she wants the medallion AND she missed the clean up part AND daddy still wants her to have the trinket...... you need to find another boat

Tell us how you really feel.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, Gangbusters said:

Lake Ontario 300 is 300 nautical miles, run every year since 1990. So longer and annual.

Those medallions are supposed to stay with the boat, the patches are for the crew. 

15 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

Those medallions are supposed to stay with the boat, the patches are for the crew. 

First boat I did any serious sailing was an old IOR boat named Legend out of Cleveland Ohio. Turns out this boat the boat was originally Yeoman XXIII. There was a participation plaque from an edition of Sydney-Hobart screwed (no glued) onto a bulkhead. Even as a newbie, I knew enough to know this was a big deal not to mention that Cleveland is a long way from Australia.

Managed to go out on her a few years after she changed hands and you guessed it......gone. That's bad Karma if you ask me

It’s a tradition.

which it’s followed and cool until the tradition gets in the way.

I bet the seller debadged the boat to sell it. Having proof you boat in Cleveland years ago did the Sydney Hobart it’s a selling feature, it’s a keep away sign for most buyers, unless the boat is old enough to be historic.

1 hour ago, Lightfoot said:

It’s a tradition.

which it’s followed and cool until the tradition gets in the way.

I bet the seller debadged the boat to sell it. Having proof you boat in Cleveland years ago did the Sydney Hobart it’s a selling feature, it’s a keep away sign for most buyers, unless the boat is old enough to be historic.

e2d278c546432c8b0a30ce8982752deb56d0249a

On 7/29/2019 at 9:39 AM, Tax Man said:

Lake Ontario 300 is 300 nautical miles, run every year since 1990. So longer and annual.

to be fair the LO300 is more of a drift than race.... :ph34r:

At 333 statute miles or 289.4 nautical miles, the Race to Mackinac is the oldest annual freshwater distance race in the world.

• Like 1

I’m sad this race is fading away. It was a pleasant race.  Yes, we did exceptionally well and all, but the weather was so comfortable.  I do so love the j111 class.  It was fun racing up there with lots of boats within eyesight, as well as a slow motion match race with Warlock down the straights.   Great times on the island as well.  Everyone please pack a flask in your shore bag for the rum party next year. Those drinks require a floater.  

Looking forward to j111 Worlds coming up in a few weeks.  

16 minutes ago, Grinder said:

I’m sad this race is fading away. It was a pleasant race.  Yes, we did exceptionally well and all, but the weather was so comfortable.  I do so love the j111 class.  It was fun racing up there with lots of boats within eyesight, as well as a slow motion match race with Warlock down the straights.   Great times on the island as well.  Everyone please pack a flask in your shore bag for the rum party next year. Those drinks require a floater.  

Looking forward to j111 Worlds coming up in a few weeks.  

Fading away might be a bit strong wording.

Yes, the number of boats this year was down 9% over two years ago (only safe to compare when this race is first or second compared to Bayview).  However, when you consider what utterly crappy conditions the past two years provided, it should be no surprise that some sit on the sidelines.

With decent weather this year, and more coming in future years, some of those will come back and join.

Lord knows I had Saturday plans this year if the weather set in like the past two years.  Never had backup plans before in my 43 years of this race.