Newport: on a rainy afternoon

Balboa Saloon or maybe The Cannery.

Ooops, wrong Newport.

43 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

hey... they got darts, how can you go wrong?

easy , add karaoke

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mid said:

easy , add karaoke

Ya.... and it is advertised as a karaoke bar, but ive only seen that happen on a Saturday. Anyway.... Newport is too... touristy, and too expensive.  Theres some nice places up the road in Portsmouth and Bristol and Warren. 

15 hours ago, hobot said:

Surely you would want more then a Bud light when it comes to drinking beer!

Good point!!

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Try the yacht club. They have top quality stinky

Do they have darts and karaoke?

14 hours ago, woodpecker said:

IYAC

I did, walked right in and had a Guinness. Met a few of the locals.

14 hours ago, basketcase said:

They are all good, but over priced. Theres a little Irish place right by the shipyard that i liked.

Sounds good. Went into O'brians the other night and was "befriended" by local gal with a big lab. Apparently she was annoying others and was asked to leave... from an Irish pub? I thought that was impossible. 

The warf pub had a decent draft wall. At home in VA Bch my favorite pub has rotating 35 taps.

1 hour ago, some dude said:

Cassidy's 

Gawd, is that place still there?

9 minutes ago, Point Break said:

The only difference is there's no haze of blue smoke in there. Used to be you'd get cancer just walking by there. Glad  it's still there, so much else has changed.

We were in town for a few days last fall reliving the past. Stopped in to the Balboa Saloon for a few and they still have a couple  pinball machines there. The young blonde kid that started as a barback back in the late 70s is still there tending bar. Man did he age badly! Also stopped in at Turk's in Sunset Beach. Still a hard drinking oldster's bar. They gave up on the aquarium under the bar though.

Even got offered a job driving the Balboa Island Ferry one day a week. Would have considered doing it for the winter if we could find an apt. for under $4k/ mo.

4 minutes ago, Willin' said:

The only difference is there's no haze of blue smoke in there. Used to be you'd get cancer just walking by there. Glad  it's still there, so much else has changed.

We were in town for a few days last fall reliving the past. Stopped in to the Balboa Saloon for a few and they still have a couple  pinball machines there. The young blonde kid that started as a barback back in the late 70s is still there tending bar. Man did he age badly! Also stopped in at Turk's in Sunset Beach. Still a hard drinking oldster's bar. They gave up on the aquarium under the bar though.

Even got offered a job driving the Balboa Island Ferry one day a week. Would have considered doing it for the winter if we could find an apt. for under $4k/ mo.

Its been a while since I've been to Turk's (its about a 5 minute drive for me). It's kinda filled with sad old barflies. Besides, I have several good Irish bars when I'm in the mood on Main Street in Seal and they are all within stumbling distance........no driving required!

2 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Sounds good. Went into O'brians the other night and was "befriended" by local gal with a big lab. Apparently she was annoying others and was asked to leave... from an Irish pub? I thought that was impossible. 

Please say that she had a dog.  My mind is racing...

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Please say that she had a dog.  My mind is racing...

You must be from CA. 

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Its been a while since I've been to Turk's (its about a 5 minute drive for me). It's kinda filled with sad old barflies. Besides, I have several good Irish bars when I'm in the mood on Main Street in Seal and they are all within stumbling distance........no driving required!

I was only in high school in Newport Bch so I only had the teen experience, which did not suck. 

• Like 1

Or "really?"

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Dude is Californian for "ya'll" :lol:

Or "really?!"

I remember the first day I said y'all and podunk. It wasn't a proud day.

49 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Good God Y'all!

That would correctly be “All ya’ll”......or at least according to several of my southern friends who schooled me in the intricacies of that use of that expression,

Tell it to Edwin Starr...

Apologies to K8 but this is my favorite kind of thread Drift.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Back I the day Snug Harbor 

I hear the whole Cannery Village, including Delaney's + Snug Harbor got converted to residential a while back. One hot Santa Ana Sunday back in 1976 I didn't go down to Trestles for the day with my buddy and wound up just hangin' on the beach  in Balboa. Somehow I found the Cannery and stopped in for a beer just as a handful of waitresses just off shift from the Marriott in Fashion Island came in and begin drinking noisily. 

One thing led to another and by Christmas I'd abandoned searching for commercial diving work and settled into a garage apartment in Corona Del Mar with that drunk waitress. It was a great couple of years till she started hearing wedding bells and I didn't.  Luckily, I made a clean getaway.

I've always had a soft spot for the Cannery.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, IStream said:

Yup, all y'all. It's southern for "you lot". 

Also known as "you mob"

On 6/26/2019 at 9:58 PM, basketcase said:

how long are you in town for? theres some fun stuff going on up the road.

Sadly, I got dragged home but not before I found the craft brewery. :)

I got kidnapped by some local charmer who took me on a pub crawl which ended with us getting thrown out of Celtica for yelling out the answers on triva night.

I'll be back, great town.

3 hours ago, sailingk8 said:

Also known as "you mob"

Sadly, I got dragged home but not before I found the craft brewery. :)

I got kidnapped by some local charmer who took me on a pub crawl which ended with us getting thrown out of Celtica for yelling out the answers on triva night.

I'll be back, great town.

Glad you made it to celtica. Nice little place. 

8 hours ago, basketcase said:

Glad you made it to celtica. Nice little place. 

I have to admit going by the boat yard and seeing the ginormous spars laying by the fence made my mouth fall open in awe. 

1 hour ago, sailingk8 said:

I have to admit going by the boat yard and seeing the ginormous spars laying by the fence made my mouth fall open in awe. 

Should have ventured further north.