Sign in to follow this  
Dead air

NZ Shorthanded Series

The SSANZ triple series kicks off tomorrow, with a 60 mile dash around the hauraki gulf. https://www.ssanz.co.nz/

147 boats are entered, from trailer sailers to 52's, and a keen multihull fleet  - entry list here https://www.ssanz.co.nz/lewmar-triple-series-entries/

There is a live tracker for the fleet https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/race/SSANZ with 15+ kts forecast from the south it should be a good scoot around the islands

• Like 1

well put together Video . ...great to check it all out

On again this weekend.

100 miler

Could be a bit of breeze at times too....

My homies on the Fineline are trying to work out what threshold to use to pull the pin. There is a massive low predicted to smash the fleet, but being Auckland it might be a glass off. 

Yesterdays race had over 40knots at times. Did my first Chinese....

Race video from Live Sail Die

• Like 1

Doing this race on Fineline. Hoping to give the other 35s a tune up, but short handed distance races are not really my specialty. Amazing amount of entries though, and a raft up planned for after. 

And one of them is Harmony.   Assuming it is the same boat (does anybody here know?),  I owned it 47 years ago!  Had more fun on it than almost any boat since.    

• Downvote 1

A Piedy Pissup?   Stand well clear.........

So on Saturday Team Freedom competed in the last 2 handed race of the SSANZ series.

70 miles long we raced from Auckland to Coromandel and back, it was windy!!

There were 178 boats overall in the race in around 8 different divisions.

We had 9 multihulls (trimarans and catamarans) in our division.

Coen and I worked really hard and managed to get a first equal with White Knight for the series.

This is no mean feat as our boat at 41 years old ( somewhat modified) is one of the oldest in the fleet, but she can still hack it.

The pic attached is us (Freedom) doing around 18 knots down Tamaki passage while Attitude destroys their kite in the background.

Freedom got a great start at the pin along with String Theory and Exodus. Went well all the way down to browns island with Attitude catching fast. 

String theory dropped their kite after Browns Island with us and Attitude fully sending it towards Rocky Bay right in front of Suellen's (Live Sail Die) camera boat. Suellen had just started filming us when the Attitude boys tried to steal our thunder by destroying their kite. 

We carried our kite right down to Rocky bay, then dropped and 2 sailed to Passage islands where we hoisted again a little too early. 

The discussion went - Holy crap we're not laying !! Ok lets try and hang on.........shit shit gust, send, send , not laying, wind eases off suddenly we're laying again. Crap what do we do?????

This is where we discovered that if you duck under big leaners like Titanium etc you can go really high in their wind shadow and then pop out in front and send off until you find the next one, then go really high again. 

Using this technique we manage to lay into Ruth passage. Just !!

Attiude had peeled to their fractional and held it right across to Cow and Calf islands where we went masthead zero then masthead kite, then back to masthead zero.

Lots of position changes here between us, String theory and Exodus with Whio and Lucifer catching fast.

Tacking up Waiheke was a case of trying to find the flattest water we could find and then into Motuihi channel where we swapped tacks with Mr Kite.

With the wind hitting 25 plus knots,  wind against tide and us still holding full main and number 1 it was getting pretty exciting as we blasted through Motuihi channel fully flying a hull at 12 knots upwind. 

We finished off with a bear away and a HUGE send to the finish on a large gust where Coen was yelling " I CANT LET THE MAIN GO ANY MORE" 

A seriously exciting race, which gave us a 1st equal with White knight for the series. I was ruined afterwards.

Thanks SSANZ for an awesome series.

Thanks Suellen and Live Sail Die for an awesome video which we pulled an amazing screenshot off

FB_IMG_1567364093364 (3).jpg

Great race. Totally fucked me, although I went in to it pre shattered. Got a great boat end start just above Josh and Damo, who kindly gave us room, then hoisted the A5 although the A2 would have been a better choice through to browns. Having the A5 though let us lay through to the bottom end, although at one point we hoisted the j2 and were about to blow the A5 but we just held on so we 3 sailed for a while which I don't think was particularly efficient. Did a couple of gybes to get through Ruthes passage then powered across to the cow and calf. The A5 proved to be the best single sail for the leg but we would have been faster had we gone A2-A5-j2-A2-A5, but as I mentioned we were pretty wrecked going into the race so laziness got the better of us. Motorboat was exiting around the cow as we were going into the calf so at that stage we were second and pretty happy, then we were less happy as we struggled to get going in very light pressure with the no1 genoa. About then we saw a lot of grey heading our way so peeled to the j2 again and got ready for a slog home, which we royally fucked up. We struggled to get the boat going, full main, one reef, two reefs, one reef, low traveller with lots of mainsheet, high traveller with less mainsheet, more jib sheet, less jib sheet, high and slow, pressed and fast, we just couldn't get it right. Got to the finish then promptly dumped the whole j2 into the tide. 

Rafted up with Motorboat and proceeded to tie one on. 

Lessons learned: we need to figure the best upwind technique in heavy air, need to be more rested going in, take less sails but be more ready to use them, the new Martin Breakers work amazingly well, the boat is fast and has great potential. 

• Like 1

Yup a great day out there. 178 boats which I believe is a record. My very first race in the new boat 'Rocky' and we won our division. It was generally quite light which suited us. Unfortunately one 8.5 trimaran didn't make it home after hitting the rocks off waiheke.

After party on Rocky was huge.... Disco ball looks right at home on this boat. It's done 25000nm sailing with me! 

FB_IMG_1593938058922.jpg

FB_IMG_1593943082587.jpg

20200705_001747.jpg

• Like 3

Looking like a tough day on the water tomorrow for the SSANZ 100. Smaller boats have already been put on the short course. 

Saturday: Northeast 25 knots gusting 35 knots but 30 knots gusting 40 knots about the Outer Gulf. Sea rough. Cloudy periods. Fair visibility in a few showers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BooBoo said:

Looking like a tough day on the water tomorrow for the SSANZ 100. Smaller boats have already been put on the short course. 

Saturday: Northeast 25 knots gusting 35 knots but 30 knots gusting 40 knots about the Outer Gulf. Sea rough. Cloudy periods. Fair visibility in a few showers

Well, we have a 57 boat double-handed race tomorrow.  Forecast is 2.5-3.5 knots gusting 3-4, so pick your poison.  Race Committee extended the time limit from 5 hours to 6 hours in hopes that some boats will finish.  

• Like 1

Did my first SSANZ for a couple of years on Saturday. Nothing like a 25 mile beat in gusting 30 kn and 2 metre chop to get you back in the game. The breeze was up and down with 15 kn then becoming 25 with the odd line squall of plenty too. I was on the long course of 102 miles on a NZ cruiser racer, a Young 13 with a lift keel and twin rudders. It was quickly obvious it wasn't going to be our day so we settled into keeping the boat and ourselves moving and comfortable. Had a great race with the Pogo Class 40 Krakatoa with us swapping positions several times and even a port and starboard in the middle of the Firth of Thames. Had  a #3 and 2 reefs in for the beat and 1 reef for most of the trip home. The run with 1 reef and the fro was good fun when a line squall came through with boat speed in the mid teens. Finished in 15 hours in the middle of the night.

While a few didn't start and a few retired, I haven't heard of much damage which is a good sign as to the quality of the fleet. We got a lot of water down below so its time for a new prod gasket.

A shout out to the crew of the Townson who had a blinder. The design is an upwind machine and for them to be in front of the Stewart 34s to the Cow and Calf is very impressive.

• Like 2

Another win for us on the Rocky taking the double line and handicap win.

It was an absolutely brutal day on the water with 2 reefs and #4jib all day.  10hrs bashing upwind in 25-35kts and big seas, then a very fun and fast ride home! 

Sad news, the disco ball didn't survive the day....

FB_IMG_1596293256059.jpg

FB_IMG_1596366096068.jpg

Screenshot_20200802-011648.png

FB_IMG_1596366128576.jpg

20200802_150843.jpg

• Like 3