Rudder bearing replacement reco in So Cal (LA area)

Existing rudder bearings are shot.  While on the hard recently (different reason), I attempted to drop the rudder to measure the shaft for a new bearing & sleeve with a plan to replace in the fall.  With a good bit of force, the rudder would not drop.  It turns freely, but would not budge vertically. The bearings are Harken… Yes, I’ve read through the other threads on Harken bearing/binding issues.  I expect the lower bearing aluminum housing has corroded, swelling and binding to the rudder shaft. 

The shaft and rudder are both carbon fiber.  Removal without damaging the shaft looks to be a challenge.  I don’t have the time or resources to deal with it.  I'm looking for recommendations for a yard/individual in So Cal (LA area) with experience to do this work.

• 3 weeks later...

I have more or less the same problem. my boat is a Whitbread 60, i think the bearing is a Harken as well.
the rudder shaft is 200mm inner bearing diameter 250 mm. boat was built by cookson but they are no longer in business.

do you know where to source spares / replacement bearings? I have a replacement bearing but it is not complete.

Bring the job to San Diego & I'll do it. Yes, I have replaced 10 -15 seized on?failed  rudder bearing, from 3" dia up to 10". Know how to get them off the shaft, & have excellent relations with PYI for a replacement (all plastic if possible) Jefa bearing. Can do the job in LA or MdrR but you'll have to pay some of the transit costs.

The entire bearing assembly should drop out of the hull along with the rudder. Did you examine the interior of the post for any mechanical fasteners?

Thanks Longy.  Yes, was planning for a Jefa bearing from PYI.  There's just a solid glass tube from the hull to the deck.  No additional fasteners. 

Looks like the lower bearing is slightly recessed (~1/4" or less) into the hull with the gap faired.  Should be easy to chip out the fairing and go at it again to drop the entire bearing assembly with the rudder.  I'll hold off till late fall to tackle it and keep sailing through the summer.  I need to haul for bottom paint this fall anyways.  She handles fine with a bit of weather helm.  When the helm is neutral, the play is annoying.  I'll follow-up with a PM to you.