Where to watch the 2019 Rolex maxi cup in Sardinia?

Hi

ill be transport crew for one of the yachts that sail the 2019 Rolex maxi cup in September. I’ll hang around after to watch the first days of the race. Does anybody have some tips on where to watch the races? I plan to bring a vhf handheld along to listen to which course they take, and will have a car, but I’ve never been to the island and want to see some spectacles. 

Also looking for tips on how to get up close to the boats or any events worth seeing. 

Thanks, Balazs

I'd suggest as soon as you arrive, start making friends and contacts on other boats there.  There will be several RIBs going out each day, with photographers and other observers, so you should volunteer to help out.  Perhaps serve drinks or something.  Since you're a delivery crew you're almost part of the family, so it's not like you're a tourist.  If you speak some Italian, even better.  Volunteer to help mark-laying.  

• Like 1

thank you P_Wop. I hope to get to know some of the guys on the way. This is my first time as delivery, so I dont know anybody.

Does it worth trying to watch from the shore, or its too far away?

1 hour ago, rbhun said:

thank you P_Wop. I hope to get to know some of the guys on the way. This is my first time as delivery, so I dont know anybody.

Does it worth trying to watch from the shore, or its too far away?

Most of the racing happens a bit offshore, and especially around the islands.  It's not too easy to see from shore, even if you could get to the shore, as most of it belongs to private villas.  RIB is your best bet.  Or if you could spend some of your delivery dollars to go out on a spectator boat.  Again, make friends, and keep asking.

You certainly wont be able to see anything from Porto Cervo itself, and as already mentioned, the racing is not just 'out in front' of the marina.  Your best bet is certainly to try and get on a RIB/Support boat to try and go and see it.  Just remember to take a wet weather jacket if the mistral is blowing.

I'm sure if you hang out in the clipper bar or Lord Nelson after racing any day, you can meet enough contacts to get you something.

Sardinia is a great place.., with more interesting things to do than watching a sailboat race.

I would say if you have a few days, rent a car and travel around

Porto Cervo isn't even one of the nicer places on Sardinia.

• 2 weeks later...

If/when the 72s and Wallys are doing their W-L racing, you actually do get quite a nice view from the Colonna Resort pool (it is also next to where the camera heli lands between shooting stuff). It's on the tip near the lighthouse on Capo Fero.

And 90% of the time you get the big boats go back and forth to Maddalena & bomb-alley.

That said, far more fun to be had on the island.