Jump to content

Weekending with 6 on a 30fter


freewheelin

Recommended Posts

Tomorrow, we have a fun race to a bay a few miles away, then a rendezvous/raft up after. Lots of swimming, inflatable rafts and cocktail mix-off. Should be a blast. All our friends want to stay out on the boat, making 6 of us on a 30fter. Crew is mostly girls, and we are all on the smaller side. So we will make the space fit and have fun with it. When a lot of you helped us find our boat, this was the kind of fun I had hoped for.

The problem is tomorrow is going to be HOT in the NY area. Like really hot. And not expected to cool off much at night. Any tips on keeping the boat cool. I will bring some battery powered fans to help with airflow. I was also thinking about anchoring or hooking up to a mooring ball stern-to, to push the airflow down the companionway. Would that help? Any other tips?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Davis Windscoop Ventilating Sail

Absolute must-have.  Even then, you are going to be hot!  Can 2 sleep in the cockpit?  That's where I would be...

(And 6 of you drinking...that's a big load on a head.  Going overboard before nightfall might be a plan.)

Remember:  You can always nap the next day.  Enjoy!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

free pump out luckily where we are staying. Will be used for sure. Also, thinking we will go to shore for dinner, which will help. I am kicking myself for not ordering a wind scoop. I will see if i can pick one up.

Two can definitely sleep in the cockpit (and i am certain will). Thanks for the tips!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freewheelin said:

Tomorrow, we have a fun race to a bay a few miles away, then a rendezvous/raft up after. Lots of swimming, inflatable rafts and cocktail mix-off. Should be a blast. All our friends want to stay out on the boat, making 6 of us on a 30fter. Crew is mostly girls, and we are all on the smaller side. So we will make the space fit and have fun with it. When a lot of you helped us find our boat, this was the kind of fun I had hoped for.

The problem is tomorrow is going to be HOT in the NY area. Like really hot. And not expected to cool off much at night. Any tips on keeping the boat cool. I will bring some battery powered fans to help with airflow. I was also thinking about anchoring or hooking up to a mooring ball stern-to, to push the airflow down the companionway. Would that help? Any other tips?

Leave the sharp metal knives at home and bring plastic? It could be fun...but it could get testy!

Windscoops work pretty well, but you need to get some that fit before tomorrow. You may be able to improvise something.

Battery powered fans or 12V fans if you have the juice on board. If you have a cigarette lighter socket you can find fans at a truck stop or car parts store easily enough.

Bugs can turn this into a hellish night if you don't have any screens and there's no breeze to keep them off.

Anchoring will keep you bow-to, which in theory you're boat's airflow is set up for. But you need wind for any of that to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Anchoring will keep you bow-to, which in theory you're boat's airflow is set up for. But you need wind for any of that to work.

should have a little wind 7-8kts is the projections. I only have one hatch. I'll have access to a mooring, so I was considering spinning her around, to allow for air flow from the much bigger companionway. and sliding top hatch. Though, I am not sure if the air will naturally flow in  now that you mention it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, freewheelin said:

should have a little wind 7-8kts is the projections. I only have one hatch. I'll have access to a mooring, so I was considering spinning her around, to allow for air flow from the much bigger companionway. and sliding top hatch. Though, I am not sure if the air will naturally flow in  now that you mention it.

Spinning around?  Why does this help?

To cool the house I was taught to open more Windows on the leeward side of the house so the wind "sucks" the warm air out

On a boat lift the front hatch to direct the air flow down into the boat (halyard tied to hatch can help) and open the complain way hatch fully.  If you have fans point them to the stern

Enjoy

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Highs Sat in WLIS were 100 f or a bit more. Low last night 80 or a bit more. 

There may not be anyone from that trip still living. 

Checked the weather at my mother's town in Upstate NY last night, and it was 77°F at midnight. Yowzer!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a 2 week trip that included a week of weather a bit worse than what we have now. It was really miserable at night with 100% humidity and 90 to high 80s still at midnight. I cannot even imagine doing that with 6 people. We only had two on a bigger boat and we couldn't even share a bunk. I think I would have outright fallen over dead without our big awnings and numerous fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I did a 2 week trip that included a week of weather a bit worse than what we have now. It was really miserable at night with 100% humidity and 90 to high 80s still at midnight. I cannot even imagine doing that with 6 people. We only had two on a bigger boat and we couldn't even share a bunk. I think I would have outright fallen over dead without our big awnings and numerous fans.

This is why I don't see the appeal of cruising south of NC between May and October

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Just A Skosh said:

This is why I don't see the appeal of cruising south of NC between May and October

Thread creep - my wife and I argue a lot about moving north or south. She has a point that while Maryland mostly loses December-March as good sailing months, farther south probably loses June to September. Also a hot day in Maine is a very different thing, 90 degrees floating in 50 degree water is very different than 95 degrees floating in 85 degree water.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Thread creep - my wife and I argue a lot about moving north or south. She has a point that while Maryland mostly loses December-March as good sailing months, farther south probably loses June to September. Also a hot day in Maine is a very different thing, 90 degrees floating in 50 degree water is very different than 95 degrees floating in 85 degree water.

I think the money solution is to own a small place on the hard down South and to head north for the summer.  Got a friend who is up in Nova Scotia right now - temps seem idea.  Start heading south in Mid-August.  Buzzards in early September, the Chesapeake from mid-September through mid October, then head south from there...  Thanksgiving through the Superbowl in Florida or SC, then head north again starting in early April...  Considering this as a retirement option...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Just A Skosh said:

This is why I don't see the appeal of cruising south of NC between May and October

I think the window is narrower than that. May and June are usually beautiful. I'd make it "between July and September."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in NC the window for oppressive heat is mainly just July and August. Even then, you can pick your days or weekends based on the weather.

Yesterday was extreme heat for here - the thermometer said 97.7 in the shade. But there was a steady 10-12 blowing from the west, and I talked the wife into a lively sunfish sail. A warm but thoroughly enjoyable excursion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, Bull City said:

@freewheelin So how was it?

It was a blast. We were having too much fun, and didn't sail home until the sun was setting last night. Beautiful night sail.

14 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

There may not be anyone from that trip still living. 

All survived I am happy to say.

It was really hot on Saturday. We were all flagging by the end of the light wind "race". I made the call for water only until we anchored. As soon as we were able to swim, everything got better. We spent the whole afternoon/evening going between swimming and shade. We brought a ton of inflatables. Went to shore for dinner once the sun set, for a break from the boat and some AC. By then the wind had kicked up some, and with a few fans I picked up, the boat was cool enough to sleep. 

Woke up Sunday, and were in the water swimming again by 10am. spent the day floating on rafts and drinking beers and water. Inflatables rafts and shade cover took the experience from rough to very enjoyable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome.  Not many crews overnight on the race boat anymore.

I got that experience exactly once-  9 or 10 of us on a C&C 35MkIII. Guys and gals alike. One guy and his girlfiend slept under someone's Hobie on the beach. The rest of us slept on the boat. I figured I'd sleep on the bow or a side deck... then the rain came so we were all jammed in belowdecks.  I ended up sleeping on the cabin sole, which was fine. I just asked everyone not to step on me on the way to the pisser.  Much giggling ensued and a lot of "Good night so-and-so" followed by "SHUT UP and go to sleep!"

It's one of my fondest learning-to-sail memories. Great boat, great crew, the owner took great care of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Awesome.  Not many crews overnight on the race boat anymore.

I got that experience exactly once-  9 or 10 of us on a C&C 35MkIII. Guys and gals alike. One guy and his girlfiend slept under someone's Hobie on the beach. The rest of us slept on the boat. I figured I'd sleep on the bow or a side deck... then the rain came so we were all jammed in belowdecks.  I ended up sleeping on the cabin sole, which was fine. I just asked everyone not to step on me on the way to the pisser.  Much giggling ensued and a lot of "Good night so-and-so" followed by "SHUT UP and go to sleep!"

It's one of my fondest learning-to-sail memories. Great boat, great crew, the owner took great care of us.

I remember that. A fond memory for me as well.  I got a bunk though. Had to share it, but still... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

I remember that. A fond memory for me as well.  I got a bunk though. Had to share it, but still... 

Heh-heh...  you were the little spoon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the 70s, we had an Alberg Typhoon on Biscayne Bay. Our first weekend cruise to the Keys, we figured we'd sleep in the cockpit. It was fine until the mosquitos found us. We were forced below and had to put in the companionway boards because the skipper hadn't made a screen. A miserable night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bull City said:

In the 70s, we had an Alberg Typhoon on Biscayne Bay. Our first weekend cruise to the Keys, we figured we'd sleep in the cockpit. It was fine until the mosquitos found us. We were forced below and had to put in the companionway boards because the skipper hadn't made a screen. A miserable night.

Hope you fired that skipper dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bull City said:

He continues to be severely punished.

As he should. Gotta keep those skippers in line or they get up to no good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ajax said:

Awesome.  Not many crews overnight on the race boat anymore.

I got that experience exactly once-  9 or 10 of us on a C&C 35MkIII. Guys and gals alike. One guy and his girlfiend slept under someone's Hobie on the beach. The rest of us slept on the boat. I figured I'd sleep on the bow or a side deck... then the rain came so we were all jammed in belowdecks.  I ended up sleeping on the cabin sole, which was fine. I just asked everyone not to step on me on the way to the pisser.  Much giggling ensued and a lot of "Good night so-and-so" followed by "SHUT UP and go to sleep!"

It's one of my fondest learning-to-sail memories. Great boat, great crew, the owner took great care of us.

I remember when pretty much everyone did and it made racing 100 times more fun. One hot night in Saint Mary's we used the spinnaker pole and the #3 genoa to make a gigantic windscoop. We had a good breeze in the cabin when the air seemed still at deck level B) That is until a front approached and we had so much wind in the cabin it was like a wind tunnel blowing loose shit out of the companionway  :o

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...