Worst place for a sailor in the USA

kent_island_sailor

I am going to start with various artificial lakes. They tend to be flooded valleys, so they frequently are tucked into the trees and have highly variable and light winds at best. Being artificial, they have no maritime traditions or port cities and maybe not even a beach, just water up to the treeline and a bunch of houses. You also usually are trapped, no canal or way out to the wider world. Last but not least they tend to be infested with rednecks in power boats who have never heard of colregs.

I am constantly amazed at the large sailboats in Lake Norman when I visit, you can only sail about 90 minutes or so before turning around if you actually do get enough wind to sail. WTF?

14 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

In the 60s we had to get typhoid vaccinations to sail our Lightning on the Potomac in DC .... hundreds of condoms in the tide line along with God knows what else 

And now that river has a thriving fishing scene and dolphins :D In the mid 70s I think that water was thick enough with sewage that you could probably just drive on it :o

Having also traveled thru the Kiel and French canal systems, it is also a depressing highway that shows what's wrong with infrastructure and public investment mentalities in the American south.

Also some of the most depressing encounters with ppl who have the  "I'm going to fix up this absurdly heavy old boat because that is sea worthy but I'm going in the ICW" 

21 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
35 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

In the 60s we had to get typhoid vaccinations to sail our Lightning on the Potomac in DC .... hundreds of condoms in the tide line along with God knows what else 

And now that river has a thriving fishing scene and dolphins :D In the mid 70s I think that water was thick enough with sewage that you could probably just drive on it :o

Yep, good thing we got rid of all those intrusive gov't over-regulation that polluted it so bad.......

23 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

...    ...    ...

I am constantly amazed at the large sailboats in Lake Norman when I visit, you can only sail about 90 4 minutes or so before turning around if you actually do get enough wind to sail. WTF?

People buy those boats to show they've got more class than the people who buy those mobile-home-on-a-raft houseboats. And are hoping that some day, they'll get to actually sail.

Some southeastern lakes are better than others. The best of them feature flukey wind, though

FB- Doug

17 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

They do sail on Salt Lake... I’ve seen them but can’t imagine the appeal 

It's actually a pretty awesome place to sail.  Very challenging not being able to see shifts on the water.  They get 15 boats out racing on Wednesday nights (www.gslyc.org).  There are also active sailing clubs near Salt Lake City at Jordanelle Reservoir (www.sailpc.com) , Utah Lake (www.ulyc.org, www.lindonmarina.com), Bear Lake (www.blyc.net) and a bunch of cat sailors call Rockport Reservoir home.  

37 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I am going to start with various artificial lakes. They tend to be flooded valleys, so they frequently are tucked into the trees and have highly variable and light winds at best. Being artificial, they have no maritime traditions or port cities and maybe not even a beach, just water up to the treeline and a bunch of houses. You also usually are trapped, no canal or way out to the wider world. Last but not least they tend to be infested with rednecks in power boats who have never heard of colregs.

I am constantly amazed at the large sailboats in Lake Norman when I visit, you can only sail about 90 minutes or so before turning around if you actually do get enough wind to sail. WTF?

Maryland has no natural lakes.

http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/maryland_lakes_and_reservoirs.html

15 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:
39 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

It's actually a pretty awesome place to sail.  Very challenging not being able to see shifts on the water.  They get 15 boats out racing on Wednesday nights (www.gslyc.org).  There are also active sailing clubs near Salt Lake City at Jordanelle Reservoir (www.sailpc.com) , Utah Lake (www.ulyc.org, www.lindonmarina.com), Bear Lake (www.blyc.net) and a bunch of cat sailors call Rockport Reservoir home.  

I've sailed there, it's cool. The boats float noticeably higher, so do you when swimming. Some have said it's yucky but I didn't think it was bad.

The worst place to sail is coastal North Carolina. It's got all the flaws noted above, the ICW, heat, no wind in the summer, etc etc plus mosquitoes that will drain your body like a vampire, bad food, ugly women, and bubonic plague.

Do NOT even think about moving here.

FB- Doug

West Point, NY at the USMA, the Army academy... 

image.thumb.png.ed6279403b5af4eb24d8e68da8d111aa.png

We had a MAISA Freshman regatta there in March or April 1975.

Watertemp 31 F (yes below 32F, due to molal freezing point depression from pollution) 

Airtemp ~25F. 

Just about everything that a regatta run by the Army post Vietnam era would feature.

• Crash boat with unreliable outboard
  • Wildly divergent winds (Storm King Mountain just to the NW)
    • Beat to run on the same leg
  • Cadets assisting with NO idea of what they were doing
  • Ice chunks going down river
  • Jib sheets that froze due to spray

We actually won our fleet by NOT capsizing, and thus finishing every race

There was the later regatta at Cornell where a snowman was on the dock with a note, advising a phone number... As we were the only team to show up, we split the qualification with Cornell and went on to wreck the car loaned by a fraternity brother... 

14 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

There was the later regatta at Cornell where a snowman was on the dock with a note, advising a phone number... As we were the only team to show up, we split the qualification with Cornell and went on to wreck the car loaned by a fraternity brother... 

Two worst places during college career: 

Lake Cayuga in the winter time sailing at Cornell...where they ran powerboats around the race course to break up the sheet ice into smaller pieces.  Where I once had spray freeze on the mainsail so that I had to slap it to break off the ice after jibing so the sail would invert.  Where after a capsize, your foul weather gear legs and arms would freeze into tubes with elbow and knee joints broken free.

NYC East River where they handed out participation hats that said "I sailed in sludge" .   They warned us to keep out mouths closed if we went into the water and hosed everybody down when they got off the boats .    

1 hour ago, BravoBravo said:

The boats are lighter.

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

It's an island, how bad can it be :P

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water."

28 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Two worst places during college career: 

Lake Cayuga in the winter time sailing at Cornell...where they ran powerboats around the race course to break up the sheet ice into smaller pieces.  Where I once had spray freeze on the mainsail so that I had to slap it to break off the ice after jibing so the sail would invert.  Where after a capsize, your foul weather gear legs and arms would freeze into tubes with elbow and knee joints broken free.

NYC East River where they handed out participation hats that said "I sailed in sludge" .   They warned us to keep out mouths closed if we went into the water and hosed everybody down when they got off the boats .    

But a lovely view of the T-neck Bridge from the wallowing interclub dinghies... 

The ICW in south Texas is actually pretty nice - south of Port OConner you go through the Aransas Wildlife Refuge and in the late fall/winter months see the Whooping Cranes. As to artificial lakes that describes all but one in Texas.  Just some thread drift. All but one Texas lakes are man made - some of very nice and fun to sail on.

3 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

. As to artificial lakes that describes all but one in Texas.  Just some thread drift. All but one Texas lakes are man made - some of very nice and fun to sail on

When my former employer was acquired by a Texas firm, they tried to persuade me to move to Dallas. I made the point that I really enjoyed sailing... They countered with essentially this: 

...All but one Texas lakes are man made - some of very nice and fun to sail on.

as 'we have some really big lakes' meaning that they might have to motor for an hour to get to the end? 

My response was I have a small ocean... the look on the plant manger's face when that first Atlantic roller lifted us gently 5 feet as we went past Whaleback was precious. He had a 40' cabin cruiser on one of those 'big lakes"... 

3 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

When my former employer was acquired by a Texas firm, they tried to persuade me to move to Dallas. I made the point that I really enjoyed sailing... They countered with essentially this: 

as 'we have some really big lakes' meaning that they might have to motor for an hour to get to the end? 

My response was I have a small ocean... the look on the plant manger's face when that first Atlantic roller lifted us gently 5 feet as we went past Whaleback was precious. He had a 40' cabin cruiser on one of those 'big lakes"... 

Almost all of my sailing has been Galveston Bay - it's not pretty but good sailing, next is Gulf of Mexico, also good. Have to agree about the Atlantic - awesome but some of us have to sail what we got.  Travis and Eagle Mountain are both challenging with a ton of great competition. Fort Worth Boat Club has turned out a bunch of awesome sailors. 

25 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Minor quibble, but I always thought that Throgs Neck Bridge is as ugly as its name.  The Whitestone Bridge is the pretty one.  

Sailing a small boat under either one is, however, NOT fun.

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:
  29 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Minor quibble, but I always thought that Throgs Neck Bridge is as ugly as its name.  The Whitestone Bridge is the pretty one.  

Sailing a small boat under either one is, however, NOT fun.

FiFY 

Just now, LionessRacing said:

FiFY 

Understood.  I  assumed you were purple fonting that.  But I've been stuck on top of and underneath that crappy bridge for way to many hours not to get my rant on.

1 hour ago, slap said:

True, but I was not restricting my comments to Maryland ;)

Deep Creek Lake is actually big enough to maybe get some decent wind and the cool fresh water is nice, but as per usual it is powerboat heaven.

Another place that looked kind of bad was Montreal. I think 99.5% of the sailboats owned by Montreal residents are on the north end of Lake Champlain. Montreal combined no wind and a swift current while we were there.

1 minute ago, LionessRacing said:

Perhaps generalize to any place that has the word "Point" in it's title... 

• West Point,
  • Kings Point
  • Grosse Point 
  • Point Conception 

Crappy points I've sailed around also include

Point Judith

Point Reyes

Point Arena

Point Loma

and my favorite:

Point No Point.  

19 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

• West Point,
  • Kings Point
  • Grosse Point 
  • Point Conception 

I have to give exception to including Kings Point in that list. I spent 4 years sailing there and never got stuck under the bridge and we had Tech dingy's not Interclubs. Now New York Maritime was located directly under the bridge(Trolls) so yes you could get stuck in the sludge.

27 minutes ago, Matt DI said:

I have to give exception to including Kings Point in that list. I spent 4 years sailing there and never got stuck under the bridge and we had Tech dingy's not Interclubs. Now New York Maritime was located directly under the bridge(Trolls) so yes you could get stuck in the sludge.

That's the place.  

The Merchant Marine Academy is quite nice, but the actual point at Kings Point is certainly not a sailor's delight.  Rocky, reefy and very lumpy from power boat wakes.  The property there doesn't even have a dock.

1 hour ago, LionessRacing said:

• West Point,
  • Kings Point
  • Grosse Point 
  • Point Conception 

What's wrong with Grosse Pointe? Grew up there. Lake Saint Claire isn't a bad lake for sailing.

10 minutes ago, woahboy said:

What's wrong with Grosse Pointe? Grew up there. Lake Saint Claire isn't a bad lake for sailing.

A different way of spelling "gross". Used only by a few superior scholars who would know this rare spelling.
3 hours ago, d'ranger said:

The ICW in south Texas is actually pretty nice - south of Port OConner you go through the Aransas Wildlife Refuge and in the late fall/winter months see the Whooping Cranes. As to artificial lakes that describes all but one in Texas.  Just some thread drift. All but one Texas lakes are man made - some of very nice and fun to sail on.

True that.

I sailed the Texas 200 from Port Mansfield to Magnolia Beach. Definitely different sailing, but in some pretty deserted areas with a lot of wildlife.

3 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

• West Point,
  • Kings Point
  • Grosse Point 
  • Point Conception 

once in about 100 tries did I ever sail past West Point successfully.... sailed downwind with kite from my YC to Tappan Zee...wind was around 15-20 kts... got squirrely  at World's End but once I was parallel to the  WP docks, I was golden the rest of the way... 

41 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Amazingly enough, when I was working in Hawaii I found it pretty unfriendly to sailing or boating in general :huh:

Yeah- I was going to mention this.  Surrounded by water, with warm trade winds and beautiful scenery.  The boat racing on the town side has dwindled (other than the Friday night reach to Diamond Head and back) and the Ala Wai....? You know what would be really nice?  Some place to get fuel.  They took that away about ten years ago with promises of a newer, grander facility.  Still waiting.  Lots of smaller boat action in Kaneohoe, though!

42 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Amazingly enough, when I was working in Hawaii I found it pretty unfriendly to sailing or boating in general :huh:

Very few marinas, few harbors, few charter boats, nasty lump between islands, huge wind shadows and hard lines between no breeze and too much breeze.

Last time on Maui, I couldn’t find a beach cat to rent.  They were all beat to shit.  

Daysailing back and forth in front of Waikiki is ok, but the Navy has the best harbor in the Pacific roped off.

Lake Minnetonka

If the powerboat wakes don't shake all the wind out of your sales

the millfoil will wrap itself around your foils 

and if you take a dip to escape the black flies, odds are you'll get an e-coli infection.

6 hours ago, shubrook said:

Charles River in Boston.

Dirty, Narrow, erratic wind just like all the other rivers in the thread.

Plus its in Boston.

The Charles is a great place for dinghy racing.  Shifty yes, but if you know what you’re doing, and by the sounds of it, you likely don’t, there is consistency in the shifts depending on the direction.  It’s a challenging place to sail, and always fun.  MIT boathouse is probably the best equipped dinghy club on the planet too.  

28 minutes ago, eliboat said:

The Charles is a great place for dinghy racing.  Shifty yes, but if you know what you’re doing, and by the sounds of it, you likely don’t, there is consistency in the shifts depending on the direction.  It’s a challenging place to sail, and always fun.  MIT boathouse is probably the best equipped dinghy club on the planet too.  

LOL this thread is full of people shitting on perfectly good places to sail.

Only one of them has the locals attacking people for it.

Charles river is fine. Its Boston that sucks.

Sincerely,

New York

33 minutes ago, eliboat said:

The Charles is a great place for dinghy racing.  Shifty yes, but if you know what you’re doing, and by the sounds of it, you likely don’t, there is consistency in the shifts depending on the direction....and the timing of the buses as they speed up to make the stop lights.  It’s a challenging place to sail, and always fun.  MIT boathouse is probably the best equipped dinghy club on the planet too.  

Based on my experience, anyway.

2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

Certainly not lighter... must be that metric education system 

Keep thinking about it - you might get it.

I'm not optimistic though.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Keep thinking about it - you might get it.

I'm not optimistic though.

What was that statement that someone made about some political bent having no sense of humour? I guess they were right correct.

20 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Lake Norman does have some rather large boats on it

4 hours ago, RImike said:

Shit, the local lake is only about 900 acres and there is a J30 and a S27.9 that come out.  I don't get it, but whatever floats your boat.  There is even a Shock 40 that comes out to Dillon once in a while.  To each their own..  

On 7/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, LionessRacing said:

West Point, NY at the USMA, the Army academy... 

image.thumb.png.ed6279403b5af4eb24d8e68da8d111aa.png

We had a MAISA Freshman regatta there in March or April 1975.

Watertemp 31 F (yes below 32F, due to molal freezing point depression from pollution) 

Airtemp ~25F. 

Just about everything that a regatta run by the Army post Vietnam era would feature.

• Crash boat with unreliable outboard
  • Wildly divergent winds (Storm King Mountain just to the NW)
    • Beat to run on the same leg
  • Cadets assisting with NO idea of what they were doing
  • Ice chunks going down river
  • Jib sheets that froze due to spray

We actually won our fleet by NOT capsizing, and thus finishing every race

Just about any place that once had a fort sucks. 

On 7/29/2019 at 2:15 PM, LionessRacing said:

Reminds me of a cat delivery I did from USVI to Key West, owners friend from St Louis telling me they had waves on the lake he sailed on. Well we had a beautiful 4-5 straight days of downwind 20kt breeze, seas eventually built up to nice long period 35' mountains to slide down on. "Now that's a wave my friend" :)

7 hours ago, RImike said:

Drove around Flathead lake a few years ago - saw many ocean sized boats on it - 45' not uncommon.

Ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

...until you’ve sailed on the Lakes in rough weather...

I’ve sailed on some waves, fresh water waves are unique..

Or a holiday weekend.....

I tried sailing on Lake Winnipesaukee a few years back during 4th of July weekend. What a nightmare, between the rouge wakes coming out of nowhere and getting buzzed by careless power boaters I don't know how my catamaran didn't become two monohulls....

Sailed a National regatta out of Brewster Academy in Lake Winnepasauki in the early 90’s. It was so serene you could watch paint dry and not care. 

My sister and another crew member were arrested anyway...

15 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

...until you’ve sailed on the Lakes in rough weather...

I’ve sailed on some waves, fresh water waves are unique..

Get on Erie or Ontario with a three day westerly, shallow enough that the waves are short and steep. 

4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Sailed a National regatta out of Brewster Academy in Lake Winnepasauki in the early 90’s. It was so serene you could watch paint dry and not care. 

My sister and another crew member were arrested anyway...

With Laconia and the Weirs, they don't tolerate too much rambunctiousness.. 

20 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Lake Minnetonka

If the powerboat wakes don't shake all the wind out of your sales

the millfoil will wrap itself around your foils 

and if you take a dip to escape the black flies, odds are you'll get an e-coli infection.

Lucky for her, that ain't lake Minnetonka!

Objectively, we live in the worst place in the US for sailing: 1200 miles to big water in any direction; over 7000' elevation, with 9 months of winter and really squirrely mountain winds; smallish lakes whose water level can vary 40'. No sailing culture or facilities.

Subjectively ... we just got back from our local pond, where my 80 year old mom and I spent three hours reaching up and down the (over-filled) lake on mainsail only, 12-15kts wind. Didn't stick the mast in the water once. It was delightful! She's grinning like a kid.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, d'ranger said:

Almost all of my sailing has been Galveston Bay - it's not pretty but good sailing, next is Gulf of Mexico, also good. Have to agree about the Atlantic - awesome but some of us have to sail what we got.  Travis and Eagle Mountain are both challenging with a ton of great competition. Fort Worth Boat Club has turned out a bunch of awesome sailors. 

you might be interested in this article

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/07/29/rice-university-plan-texas-coast-barrier/

On 7/29/2019 at 2:29 PM, LionessRacing said:

• West Point,
  • Kings Point
  • Grosse Point 
  • Point Conception 

That's Grosse Pointe with an "e" to you :P

On 7/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, Steam Flyer said:

The worst place to sail is coastal North Carolina. It's got all the flaws noted above, the ICW, heat, no wind in the summer, etc etc plus mosquitoes that will drain your body like a vampire, bad food, ugly women, and bubonic plague.

FB- Doug

How true. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, LionessRacing said:
2 hours ago, glexpress said:

You validate my point

Well, the sailing there isn't great but the gin-n-tonics with Biff and Muffy afterward are pretty good.

- DSK

52 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, the sailing there isn't great but the gin-n-tonics with Biff and Muffy afterward are pretty good.

- DSK

Fucke yeahe, I coudentte bye a dricke.....          they loved us...............                  :)

3 hours ago, glexpress said:

That's the plushest neighbourhood in Detroit isn't it?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That's the plushest neighbourhood in Detroit isn't it?

Plushest, yeah.  But, technically not IN Detroit, rather a suburb east and adjacent to Detroit on Lake St. Clair.

All, or at least most, big cities are like that - the "name" city is usually a fairly small part of the metropolitan area that it gives its name to. L.A. is probably the most extreme example - how many municipalities make up what people regard as L.A.? 100? More?

"Vancouver" is made up of over 20 separate municipalities.

Steam Flyer said: The worst place to sail is coastal North Carolina. It's got all the flaws noted above, the ICW, heat, no wind in the summer, etc etc plus mosquitoes that will drain your body like a vampire, bad food, ugly women, and bubonic plague.

FB- Doug

Okay now Steam, you are either playing Brer Rabbit here, or you are just too close to the military mess of the Havelock area (ref. mosquitoes, ugly women and bad food).

I haven't killed the first mosquito while on the boat yet this season on the Pamlico (admittedly a heavy rain spell or a hurricane will change that), and even when it's hot there's been a great easterly sea breeze almost every afternoon.

What's missing most days are other sailboats!

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Steam Flyer said: The worst place to sail is coastal North Carolina. It's got all the flaws noted above, the ICW, heat, no wind in the summer, etc etc plus mosquitoes that will drain your body like a vampire, bad food, ugly women, and bubonic plague.

Okay now Steam, you are either playing Brer Rabbit here, or you are just too close to the military mess of the Havelock area (ref. mosquitoes, ugly women and bad food).

I haven't killed the first mosquito while on the boat yet this season on the Pamlico (admittedly a heavy rain spell or a hurricane will change that), and even when it's hot there's been a great easterly sea breeze almost every afternoon.

What's missing most days are other sailboats!

Pay no attention to him, folks. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Hey Izz, tell 'em about the shallow water, the yellow flies, the nearly complete lack of proper yachting facilities, and of course there's the lovely way hurricanes come along a couple times a year....... if you're lucky, the place your house floats to has been opened for homesteading though........

FB- Doug

On 7/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, woahboy said:

Clearing the grass from your rudder every 10 minutes is no fun. We need to get some zebra mussels in there pronto!

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Pay no attention to him, folks. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Hey Izz, tell 'em about the shallow water, the yellow flies, the nearly complete lack of proper yachting facilities, and of course there's the lovely way hurricanes come along a couple times a year....... if you're lucky, the place your house floats to has been opened for homesteading though........

FB- Doug

Er, uh, yeah okay Steam, and....well it IS after all where Blackbeard held court.  Some of those pirate kin are still living in the marshes around here.  They've all got criminal records as long as your arm and couldn't pass a piss test if their lives depended on it. So most of 'em get jobs in marinas...

Cleveland.

I don't know what the hell is in the water there but after two days your boat looks like it spent the summer sitting in a latrine pit.  At least is doesn't catch fire any more.

6 hours ago, Lucky Dog said:

It’s French you know - with the e on the end.  

Meaning simply big. 

Just like Detroit is bastardized from d'Etroit or The Straight or The Narrows.  

Providing "Regatta Liability" insurance longer than any other source in the U.S., you first learn that in order for people to live, there must be water.  Lakes, oceans, reservoirs, rivers, etc. Give people a body of water, they'll put sailboats on it.  With more than one sailboat on the water, it is now a race.

Never provided this insurance in the State of West Virginia.

Long ago I decided that West Virginia would be the worst place for a sailor in the U.S.

18 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Providing "Regatta Liability" insurance longer than any other source in the U.S., you first learn that in order for people to live, there must be water.  Lakes, oceans, reservoirs, rivers, etc. Give people a body of water, they'll put sailboats on it.  With more than one sailboat on the water, it is now a race.

Never provided this insurance in the State of West Virginia.

Long ago I decided that West Virginia would be the worst place for a sailor in the U.S.

And hilariously, this is where the USCG has their vessel documentation located. in Falling Waters, WV.  

though I received excellent service over the counter, the retired master chief who was running the front was efficient, pleasant and capable. 

On 7/29/2019 at 11:29 AM, LionessRacing said:

• West Point,
  • Kings Point
  • Grosse Point 
  • Point Conception 

whats wrong with point conception? Just cause the breeze comes on sometimes?

On 7/29/2019 at 2:21 PM, d'ranger said:

Almost all of my sailing has been Galveston Bay

Please accept my deepest sympathies.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:45 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

Another place that looked kind of bad was Montreal. I think 99.5% of the sailboats owned by Montreal residents are on the north end of Lake Champlain. Montreal combined no wind and a swift current while we were there.

The 1976 Summer Olympics, which ostensibly took place in Montreal, had the sailing in Kingston (almost 200 miles distant, in a completely different Canadian province) ... for good reason.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Now for something different instead of the twice a year "best" threads.

Where is the WORST place for a sailor that you have actually seen a sailboat?

San Diego. No wind mist of the time.

when it  does blow sailing out between the jetties Will kill you  

San Francisco Bay in front of St Francis Yacht Club the water would be frozen over 24/365 except it is too busy flowing at ten knots. 

Worst Laser  venue I ever suffered. 

12 hours ago, Svanen said:

The 1976 Summer Olympics, which ostensibly took place in Montreal, had the sailing in Kingston (almost 200 miles distant, in a completely different Canadian province) ... for good reason.

Montreal would have worked out fine as long as the finish line was in Quebec :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
12 hours ago, Svanen said:

Montreal would have worked out fine as long as the finish line was in Quebec :rolleyes:

Similar issues with the Atlanta Olympics, the sailing was in Savannah.... actually Ossabaw Sound which is basically a tidal swamp....

FB- Doug

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
13 hours ago, Svanen said:

How about the Atlanta Olympics? Sailing was in Savannah....... well actually in Ossabaw Sound which is a tidal swamp and a damn long way from any pavement or indoor plumbing........

FB- Doug

11 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

San Diego. No wind mist of the time.

when it  does blow sailing out between the jetties Will kill you  

hahahahahaha!

For dinner, we eat rocks.

14 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Isn't there a big lake near Atlanta? Lanier?

The test event for the Paralympics was on Lake Lanier. Worked out very well. The worry was that there would be no wind. Lucked out.

I was sent by St. Pete Yacht Club to check out the site near Savanna before the Olympics. Two warring camps at the Savanna YC couldn't seem to get it together. Since SPYC was supplying most of the RC, it was asked to stage the Olympics. Nope, no wind in August on Tampa Bay. How about Miami? Well, Savanna quickly came up with a plan. Barges anchored out. Quite  Third World compared to other countries' Olympic venues past and future.  Dave Ellis

Archived