Cops vs Dogs

Fakenews

It’s well known that cops are terrified by dogs and will them shoot on sight with the least provocation.  In this chapter the unarmed canine happily emerged unscathed. His owner was not so lucky.  I expect the cop will get a stern talking to for missing the dog.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/02/texas-police-officer-killed-woman-arlington-while-shooting-dog/1898825001/

I like dogs and almost all like me or at least not aggressive, a lot of dogs go nuts over anyone in a uniform and they can sense what you feel and likely that dog was doing it's job to protect the woman (seem to be moreso when the owner is a woman) and since we didn't really get much detail i can't condemn the cop if he is protecting himself.

Maybe the cop is an asshole and had a choice, certainly not a very good shot but then again I know a number of LE people and none that I know have ever fired their weapon on duty. It's just not the same as shooting on a range. We weren't there and being attacked is somewhat unsettling.   Sad. Like the OP who is still butthurt.  So, yep he is free to post whatever he wants and I am free to criticize him - a gator just never changes it's spots. 

The OP aside................the question of cops and dogs on incidents is a thorny one. In my 37 years on the job, I have been threatened by numerous frightened agitated dogs of all sizes, bitten once by a little rat dog (which is a pretty humorous story of itself), and taken care of various city/governmental/postal/contractors who ran afoul of a dog and were bitten. In fact I was very nearly hurt very badly rescuing a mauled child from a rottweiler to the extent that while sprinting to the rig with the child in my arms and the rottie in hot pursuit.....which given the distances involved, was a race was worried I was destined to lose BTW.....I was saved by a couple cops running toward the rottie and as I passed them they stopped, leveled their shotguns and I heard them take care of my problem. So I have what I think is considerable experience with this issue.

When emergency workers are at a scene it is always stressful. To complicate matters unlike us in the FD, in the case of cops, they are often stressed as well worrying about getting dead in addition to whatever the owner/family bystanders are stressed about. Dogs sense this easily and react as dogs do, often confronting the perceived threat pushed by their own fear instincts. Since I was not there, I reserve judgement (except in the marksmanship) on this specific case. I do wonder, was the dog eventually shot....did it charge....did the charge result in contact......but that's all hindsight curiosity. There is some concern in many communities about cops shooting dogs, so much so that a growing number of police departments are giving their officers training in how to deal with agitated dogs in other ways. We all know that often a charge is a display meant to warn or discourage the perceived threat. But sometimes, the charge is not a warning...........and its pretty darn hard to tell the difference in just a second or two. If the dog is some distance away and you have a few seconds you can better estimate the likelihood of attack versus bravado but even then....you could be wrong.

I do think sometimes they go to the deadly force too quickly and those events are pretty obvious as we have all seen a few captured on video, but most of the time its really hard to judge. We rarely if ever see the times a dog was threatening and it does not result in the use of deadly force. Those don't make good viral videos to stoke the flames of outrage. In the cases where there is time to judge and act with some restraint I often wonder why pepper spray is not employed. I think that may be part of the new emphasis on training in dealing with these situations.

As an additional point, I don't know many police officers who enjoy shooting a dog. Most of the ones I have known over the years have dogs as pets as well. In the end we all hate to see it..........I mean I like dogs more than 99% of the people on the planet but I can see and have experienced the complexity of the situations.

Besides........things can go very wrong, very quickly.

Good stories rarely get reported which is why it pisses me off when assholes like the OP never miss the chance to post anything negative. Thanks for the writeup PB, you as usual say it better than I ever could.

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

The OP aside................the question of cops and dogs on incidents is a thorny one. In my 37 years on the job, I have been threatened by numerous frightened agitated dogs of all sizes, bitten once by a little rat dog (which is a pretty humorous story of itself), and taken care of various city/governmental/postal/contractors who ran afoul of a dog and were bitten. In fact I was very nearly hurt very badly rescuing a mauled child from a rottweiler to the extent that while sprinting to the rig with the child in my arms and the rottie in hot pursuit.....which given the distances involved, was a race was worried I was destined to lose BTW.....I was saved by a couple cops running toward the rottie and as I passed them they stopped, leveled their shotguns and I heard them take care of my problem. So I have what I think is considerable experience with this issue.

When emergency workers are at a scene it is always stressful. To complicate matters unlike us in the FD, in the case of cops, they are often stressed as well worrying about getting dead in addition to whatever the owner/family bystanders are stressed about. Dogs sense this easily and react as dogs do, often confronting the perceived threat pushed by their own fear instincts. Since I was not there, I reserve judgement (except in the marksmanship) on this specific case. I do wonder, was the dog eventually shot....did it charge....did the charge result in contact......but that's all hindsight curiosity. There is some concern in many communities about cops shooting dogs, so much so that a growing number of police departments are giving their officers training in how to deal with agitated dogs in other ways. We all know that often a charge is a display meant to warn or discourage the perceived threat. But sometimes, the charge is not a warning...........and its pretty darn hard to tell the difference in just a second or two. If the dog is some distance away and you have a few seconds you can better estimate the likelihood of attack versus bravado but even then....you could be wrong.

I do think sometimes they go to the deadly force too quickly and those events are pretty obvious as we have all seen a few captured on video, but most of the time its really hard to judge. We rarely if ever see the times a dog was threatening and it does not result in the use of deadly force. Those don't make good viral videos to stoke the flames of outrage. In the cases where there is time to judge and act with some restraint I often wonder why pepper spray is not employed. I think that may be part of the new emphasis on training in dealing with these situations.

As an additional point, I don't know many police officers who enjoy shooting a dog. Most of the ones I have known over the years have dogs as pets as well. In the end we all hate to see it..........I mean I like dogs more than 99% of the people on the planet but I can see and have experienced the complexity of the situations.

Besides........things can go very wrong, very quickly.

First off, that looks like an incredibly naive animal control officer. Second, the woman clearly said she was letting the dog out, and the ACO better leave. Once again this is more a case of human negligence than animal misbehavior. Stupid fat aggressive owner, uncontrollable dog, perhaps an intentionally set up ACO and amazingly enough the neighbor was right there with a pipe? And who called the videographer...... There's a whole lot about that video that just doesn't seem right.

17 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

First off, that looks like an incredibly naive animal control officer. Second, the woman clearly said she was letting the dog out, and the ACO better leave. Once again this is more a case of human negligence than animal misbehavior. Stupid fat aggressive owner, uncontrollable dog, perhaps an intentionally set up ACO and amazingly enough the neighbor was right there with a pipe? And who called the videographer...... There's a whole lot about that video that just doesn't seem right.

Ya, if I am investigating a known dangerous animal that loves to tear up people and a lady says she is letting the animal out and I better leave----- I am going to get the fuck out.

I don't disagree there was a moment of judgement that passed but the point of the video (at least my point) isn't whether she should run off when the owner threatened her, but rather how quickly things can escalate. It was > 3 seconds from the time the door opened, the dog covered 15 or so yards and was on her arm. No posturing ahead, no false charge, no barking. Straight in and if you were a cop standing there you'd have 3 seconds to decide whether the charge was legit and whether to kill the dog (or in the last case, the presumed owner).

From the ACO perspective, I don't know who was taking the video...she looked to that person as if for direction at the very beginning....but as I said.....the point isn't whether she/they made mistakes in staying in the yard, but instead how quickly the thing went south and how difficult it would be in that time frame to make a judgement whether the dog means business or not and to then intervene with deadly force.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

I don't disagree there was a moment of judgement that passed but the point of the video (at least my point) isn't whether she should run off when the owner threatened her, but rather how quickly things can escalate. It was > 3 seconds from the time the door opened, the dog covered 15 or so yards and was on her arm. No posturing ahead, no false charge, no barking. Straight in and if you were a cop standing there you'd have 3 seconds to decide whether the charge was legit and whether to kill the dog (or in the last case, the presumed owner).

From the ACO perspective, I don't know who was taking the video...she looked to that person as if for direction at the very beginning....but as I said.....the point isn't whether she/they made mistakes in staying in the yard, but instead how quickly the thing went south and how difficult it would be in that time frame to make a judgement whether the dog means business or not and to then intervene with deadly force.

The ACO did not look like she was trained. She had a loop stick, but clearly did not know how to use it. She had no pepper spray, or baton. I'm not even sure she was actually an ACO or just an actor hired for the video.

First thought on reading the thread title: I'd rather have a dog. Feeding, housing and exercising a cop would be too hard. Besides, they're fucking dangerous.

26 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

The ACO did not look like she was trained. She had a loop stick, but clearly did not know how to use it. She had no pepper spray, or baton. I'm not even sure she was actually an ACO or just an actor hired for the video.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-07-28-me-254-story.html

10 minutes ago, Happy said:

First thought on reading the thread title: I'd rather have a dog. Feeding, housing and exercising a cop would be too hard. Besides, they're fucking dangerous.

Not if they're properly trained  :lol: :lol:<_<

- DSK

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Not if they're properly trained  :lol: :lol:<_<

- DSK

Ever try to train a cop to shit outside, or lie down and stop barking when people come to the door?.....

On 8/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

some of us don't care and he can post what he wants... i do.. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Jesus, that photo raises all kinds of questions:

Do they both pay social security on that teacher gig?

If you knock em up, whose name is the mother on the birth certificate?

For mother's day or their birthday, do you have to buy them each a gift?

Do they both bitch at you about your driving?

If you get divorced, do they take half your shit or 2/3rds?

Do they count as 1 personal exemption or 2 on income taxes?

Man, I need a drink.  A STRONG one..

I’m not even sure what to think about that..........I got ZERO stories for that one. Zero

I do have one with a gay dwarf and a parrot though.........he was a famous movie dwarf though so I probably shouldn’t tell it.

Two heads though........I got nothing.......

Ahhh... the joys of the Internet and our sensationalist media.

Think of the thousands of dog interactions between LEO daily across the US.

Think of a job where you walk into any of the 50 calls you make in a day that have a very real chance of you getting injured or killed (not by your own inattention or carelessness)

Think of a wacky world where you can find/steal/create some video content and whammo, youtube cash in your pocket.

Follow the money.   

I'm still waiting for PB's book.  FFS, you could simply troll through the last decade of SA posts for a good chunk of inspiration!  Get to work man!  You are retired.  No dogs are after you.

Except us.

47 minutes ago, Windward said:

Ahhh... the joys of the Internet and our sensationalist media.

Think of the thousands of dog interactions between LEO daily across the US.

Think of a job where you walk into any of the 50 calls you make in a day that have a very real chance of you getting injured or killed (not by your own inattention or carelessness)

Think of a wacky world where you can find/steal/create some video content and whammo, youtube cash in your pocket.

Follow the money.   

I'm still waiting for PB's book.  FFS, you could simply troll through the last decade of SA posts for a good chunk of inspiration!  Get to work man!  You are retired.  No dogs are after you.

Except us.

:lol:

I got......stuff........to do. I have no idea how I ever found time to work.........

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I got......stuff........to do. I have no idea how I ever found time to work.........

Damn, I must be doing this retirement thing wrong.  I don't do shit all day and I love it.

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:
2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Damn, I must be doing this retirement thing wrong.  I don't do shit all day and I love it.

Everybody navigates their time on the planet their own way. So long as it makes you happy, stick with it. Me..........I gotta be moving, doing, making and recreation. There is still lots more stuff on the list than I will get to but its gonna be a hell of a race. :lol:

Archived