Jump to content

New Hugo Boss Spotted


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, spare me the "f off newbie"...been here before but had to re-register. I was lucky enough to get up close to the boat, and I can honestly say any pictures out there so far simply do not even

Even gets the keel modification correct.

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, james3232 said:

Not as groundbreaking, or as sexy, as the last one, IMO

67806797_2273775149355068_2472882722670903296_n.jpg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F07%2Fyysw207478.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fthe-imocas-around-the-world-with-a-crew-in-2021%2F&tbnid=FNlrJ15AwFTg6M&vet=1&docid=l2Wyw45Et9wdPM&w=800&h=534&itg=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Is it less ground breaking?

Gone a step further in the sheer line reversing, dropped mast step, gone back to a more rounded hull shape... To my eye it looks like a real step away from the comanche style hard chine and flat bottom.

So either faster light air hull mode or max foiling mode. Are we going to see a rediculous set of foils coming?

Link to post
Share on other sites

That chine forward hardly qualifies as a sheerline when taken to that extreme. Where do you see a 'dropped mast step'? Hard chine aft at transom does indeed look to have gone away. Went to your link but didn't see anything of the new boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

That chine forward hardly qualifies as a sheerline when taken to that extreme. Where do you see a 'dropped mast step'? Hard chine aft at transom does indeed look to have gone away. Went to your link but didn't see anything of the new boat.

Link for comparison of hull underside, really just the whole deck to underside height looks lower than the old boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, darth reapius said:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F07%2Fyysw207478.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marineindustrynews.co.uk%2Fthe-imocas-around-the-world-with-a-crew-in-2021%2F&tbnid=FNlrJ15AwFTg6M&vet=1&docid=l2Wyw45Et9wdPM&w=800&h=534&itg=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Is it less ground breaking?

Gone a step further in the sheer line reversing, dropped mast step, gone back to a more rounded hull shape... To my eye it looks like a real step away from the comanche style hard chine and flat bottom.

So either faster light air hull mode or max foiling mode. Are we going to see a rediculous set of foils coming?

Darth,

 

The new boat May look plan compared to the old boat and the under water sections could be a total different thinking coming into play.

 

When you start to think about it the place were these foiling boats suffer is in the light non foiling conditions when they are still in displacement mode. Once the boat starts to foil the hull is leaving the water so the shape isn’t as critical so the light weather performance could be a major advantage. 

 

It will be interesting to see what other new Open 60’s are doing as well. 

 

Pulpit

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pretty impressive based on one picture, are there more hiding somewhere else? 

To my eye, there’s quite a few tweaks going on and we haven’t seen the foils, rig or deck plan yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

 like looks like an evolution of it's predecessor, a reaching monster. are the foil exits on the hull unusually low?

I am trying to see the foil slots...  I am thinking it is in front of the gap in the rear hull support

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Judging by the height of the lifelines, she's got minimal  freeboard for a 60'er (hardly surprising).

Are the "lifelines" extended, looks to be tall silver ones with shorter black ones down lower

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rushman said:

Are the "lifelines" extended, looks to be tall silver ones with shorter black ones down lower

 

Health and safety for those on deck finishing things at yard. Normal practice is to meet scaffolding requirements, not sailing requirements. So they are much taller than normal lifelines 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Health and safety for those on deck finishing things at yard. Normal practice is to meet scaffolding requirements, not sailing requirements. So they are much taller than normal lifelines 

Thanks for confirming what I had guessed

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

I think you are seeing the D0 terminations for the deck spreader cables. The slots for the foils are further forwards and appear to have cassettes on deck where they exit there just visible.

Ah, that makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, really low "cockpit roof" ! 

And also holding the mainsai rail (mainsail track ? not sure of English for it)

And a very serious solar array.

Show us the foils now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Yl75,

i suspect they are inside on the floor. All that will exit the roof will be ropes. Will be interesting to see the interior. Remember that the cockpit and interior are now one.

Yes I think so as well, time for a full boat tour now, come on Alex !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I frankly admit that I have no idea what I am looking at.

But looks like a great job by Alex and Jason, and their respective teams!

Pretty long build time though, they started over a year age.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bosshawg said:

A bit of a different perspective of the deck profile from his Youtube page.

Looks like the mast has been stepped, spreaders look quite beefy.

 

hb.jpg

A bit bigger pic (from twitter profile page ) :

1500x500

This one shows the foil opening it seems, looks like they will have a quite short chord if the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NZK said:

This time he really won't see the land coming....

Windows in the front, and probably a bit of a raised front in the interior for the "inside cockpit", looks great and probably a great idea

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yl75 said:

Windows in the front, and probably a bit of a raised front in the interior for the "inside cockpit", looks great and probably a great idea

except for your back bending over endlessly. i wonder how this will go in practice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NZK said:

This time he really won't see the land coming....

Looks seriously restricted for looking at sail trim as well at the moment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lat 18 said:

wonder if he's planning on a drooping boom low on deck for end plate effect like Sobedo.

He could possibly add a decksweeper (like on A Class foilers and some of the 32/23 class) under the boom. Lowering the boom with a standardized mast would not likely work as its not designed for it.  Not sure if a decksweeper would count as another sail against the quota either.  Limiting factor here will be the mast anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

woooow,        It was worth the wait.....what cant we see ?........

view ,maybe cameras and screens with head up display;   sitting, soften the shock loads in a hydraulic suspended recaro seat with gimbals  and folding out leg and reclining head rest ...to stop the driver from losing heat in the cold, with fully heated seat surfaces,...nighttime infrared driving lights work because of the cameras.... show the sets of waves coming through....All about conserving energy to stop from oversleeping...   the rudder rear deck ,so after the fuses activate you can assess the rudder then reinstall back into the water.....what else is possible...but you can be sure the noise and shock loads will be energy draining.....Sam Davies was saying soon as slightly rough she cant even boil a kettle, but have been hearing of ern style kettle [pressure vented] fully enclosed with a hose with grip beer tap that locks into thermos lid with package foodstuffs already added . ...that stays warm for 6 hours.    Who knows what will come from the aeronautical , car and truck and the shipping sectors, to help the sailors navigate these machine's as these thing skip and trip across the waves........this is Paris Dakar stuff but 24/7

   how bloody amazing is this going to get

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way where is the tiller/wheel ? inside as well ? None at all (except emergency), and just AP all the time ?

(I'm doubtful steering from inside almost not seeing anything would provide real gains over the AP)

But Alex is clearly the best positioned/most VG experienced today to know what is useful

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspected we’d see fully enclosed cockpits but not like this. Seems the focus for this generation of IMOCA is low cg and massive foils to make the one’s on the AC75 look tiny. AFAIK there’s no rule limiting the size of the foils. All it’s missing is heat seeking missiles or a terminator robot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to be a glutton for punishment to be cooped up inside a boat like that when going south and north the Atlantic - imagine the heat near the equator and the dripping humidity after two weeks in the southern ocean. 

Tip of the hat to ATR - definitely committed and all the way. As for folks taking a piss on AT grounding - he made a mistake, he acknowledged it honesty and made no excuses and accepted the penalty with grace. 

If we could all fail in such a manner.

 

Edit: looking at what's visible. The foils might be steel/titanium core encased with composite structure.  The exit points in the hull are extremely small. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lat 18 said:

wonder if he's planning on a drooping boom low on deck for end plate effect like Sobedo.

Well it would make sense as half the requirements are in place. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eastcoastlow said:

Loving the look of this boat and can’t wait to see it sailing. Well done to VPLP and Hugo Boss team  

Where are the winches? Isn’t there a rule that states winches have to be operated on deck?

Here’s my 50 pence. It’s on the deck. But since everything is enclosed we can’t see it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, darth reapius said:

Would hate to suffer from sea sickness... Hahahaha

To save weight lets just get rid of everything, store Alex in a tube inside the boat while AI sails it round the world?

Screenshot_2019-08-04-16-25-37.png

I wonder if we see Alex grinding like bicyclists on the AC NZ catamaran. These two hatches in the middle look well suited for that. These look like they are meant to be opened over a long period. Otherwise these would be constructed flat on deck like sail locker hatch. And what is under these boxes? Are they covering slots for foils?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Here’s my 50 pence. It’s on the deck. But since everything is enclosed we can’t see it. 

From this pic there appears to be a "door" at cutout. Must be another in there somewhere for the cockpit to still be counted at being part of the deck and the winches being on deck

 

pont.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

AFAIK there’s no rule limiting the size of the foils.

I have actually been thinking about this. Would it be feasible to have a Y shape foil to have as much separation between both branch as to make the boat fully foiling. That wouldn't be as stable as foils on the rudder but could be better than the flying/splashing shown by Charal. Surely that could provide some sustainable (unstable flight). Not sure there is material strong enough for that though and the cord length of the openings on HB don't look very big.

I also vote for low boom and possibly a cycling station under deck for grinding with all ropes centralized under deck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, eastcoastlow said:

Loving the look of this boat and can’t wait to see it sailing. Well done to VPLP and Hugo Boss team  

Where are the winches? Isn’t there a rule that states winches have to be operated on deck?

No, the rule is that they have to be human energy operated, but nothing states they have to be on deck (in fact the section ruling sails trimming does not even mentions winches)

I would like to see where is the rudder/wheel ! I bet he doesn't plan to use it much at all

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve heard they’re putting as much as possible inside the boat, basically no cockpit, trying to lower COE. Interested to see what they ended up doing. 

Not sure about winch rule, I imagine it would be difficult to define what the cockpit is on this boat. 

1 hour ago, eastcoastlow said:

Loving the look of this boat and can’t wait to see it sailing. Well done to VPLP and Hugo Boss team  

Where are the winches? Isn’t there a rule that states winches have to be operated on deck?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, yl75 said:

No, the rule is that they have to be human energy operated, but nothing states they have to be on deck (in fact the section ruling sails trimming does not even mentions winches)

 

Yup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

I have actually been thinking about this. Would it be feasible to have a Y shape foil to have as much separation between both branch as to make the boat fully foiling. That wouldn't be as stable as foils on the rudder but could be better than the flying/splashing shown by Charal. Surely that could provide some sustainable (unstable flight). Not sure there is material strong enough for that though and the cord length of the openings on HB don't look very big.

I also vote for low boom and possibly a cycling station under deck for grinding with all ropes centralized under deck.

Im not sure thats allowed but it might be considering jeremie beyou’s foils had winglets last VG. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Hull to keel assembly does not look like it has rotation.

Screenshot_20190804-173853_Chrome.jpg

It looks like there’s a bulge behind the keel that’s part of its canting system. Maybe Alex saw the infomercials and bought a can of Flexseal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Hull to keel assembly does not look like it has rotation.

Screenshot_20190804-173853_Chrome.jpg

Appears the entire red (pink?) section might be part of the canting structure. Looks like a seam at the aft end

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

Appears the entire red (pink?) section might be part of the canting structure. Looks like a seam at the aft end

 

I guess there could be a rubber gator around the keel root. If so it has been very neatly fitted and faired

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought was that cockpit will be freaking hot at the equator. Then I figured he should be able to run a few fans with that amount of solar panels. Now I’m wondering if all those solar panels will be used for some sort of climate control inside the cabin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have just accepted that these damn things are so wet, just turn it into a semi-submersible!  I'm guessing he puts up the snorkel when he gets into the Southern Ocean......Alternatively, this is essentially a Reaper drone boat, with Alex controlling things from his Lazy Boy at home......

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, A.M.S. said:

They have just accepted that these damn things are so wet, just turn it into a semi-submersible!  I'm guessing he puts up the snorkel when he gets into the Southern Ocean......Alternatively, this is essentially a Reaper drone boat, with Alex controlling things from his Lazy Boy at home......

Except for the extremely demanding sail changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, r.finn said:

Except for the extremely demanding sail changes.

The fore deck seems extremely flat and without the traditional cockpit to deck transition it looks it could be a good layout. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Miffy said:

Have to be a glutton for punishment to be cooped up inside a boat like that when going south and north the Atlantic - imagine the heat near the equator and the dripping humidity after two weeks in the southern ocean

And add heat from a deck that is nearly 100% solar array...good way to loose weight in that sauna.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hucking sails In/out that small center companionway will be a lot of work, but presumably not done that often. Other deck hatches only good in very light wind/seas. This thing is built to take waves over the bow and keep going... 

Modern Video is good enough to allow an enclosed cockpit with winch pedestals and view screens, whether arm or leg powered

Enough solar area to run all the electronics plus some creature comforts, why not a DC kettle to heat food and forced ventilation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The next few weeks are going to be great entertainment as all the latest boats start to ramp up and the pictures come out.  

Its making anything Volvo, TOR look really pedestrian and dull. Also showing how a crossover boat is getting ever further away. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a risky proposition if sailing the boat, motoring, eating food is all dependent on electric generation. 

If it all works it'll be brilliant. If you run into electrical Gremlins and failure it'll quickly escalate. 

Here's a potential mode of failure. Say Alex is hauling out a roller furling sail to go to the foredeck - hits a wave and swings the rope a little and a shackle at the end of a stiff anti-twist rope hits the deck. It happens all the time. Only. It is on a solar panel. Not knowing how the diodes are setup, assuming the there's damage to one cell, if can quickly take out a few hundred watts. In the southern ocean, plus shading, it can quickly start hurting his energy budget. 

Or a bad battery. A short from condensation. Etc. 

You don't want to be in a situation where if you're having a bad day you're not only unable to trim your sails because the camera got wacked, yore running on a lower energy state and have to ration your water, worry about electric motor range if you need to bail, while also running AP on reduced sensitivity. 

Honestly ATR has done such an amazing job pushing the limits, I'm almost hoping they kept an air cooled diesel generator to warm the cabin in the southern ocean and keep his batteries charged. It'll be a shame to lose a VG because the no fossil fuel message forces you to abandon. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites