New Hugo Boss Spotted

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, spare me the "f off newbie"...been here before but had to re-register. I was lucky enough to get up close to the boat, and I can honestly say any pictures out there so far simply do not even

Even gets the keel modification correct.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

My thoughts exactly.  Not going to run around barefoot anyway.

They have used a new type of pigmentation in the paint I read somewhere so that it won't be hot at all. Apparently there was much thought given to this. I don't have the article handy but someone will at Anarchy you can count on it...........!

On 8/5/2019 at 12:27 PM, jack_sparrow said:

I agree it is one bridge too far. Redundancy arrangements is what wins RTW races and ironically those things that go to shit are predominantly electrical.

Arkea Paprec found out the hard way in the Fastnet

How about this for a theory...

The Nokia/Bell Labs involvement actually means full camera and sensor coverage on deck/rigs to allow Alex to wear a VR headset down below to effectively 'remove' the cabin roof from his field of view and give fighter pilot style HUD for all wind and speed data etc...

As crazy as this theory sounded when it was first suggested, the more I think about the less surprised I'd be were it true....

10 hours ago, Tito said:

So, did I miss it or... where is the vang

Not sure if the track is long enough to be able to contol the leech tension by mainsheet tension alone but I would guess it would be with the apparent wind angles this boat will be achieving. Even if the rules allowed a vang attached to the mast / mast step the boom is to close to the base of the mst to make one sufficiently effective. It would be possible to have a hard point on the side deck  attached mid-boom to created a vang for use deep downwind as I have on my Pogo.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, 3to1 said:

while all that time spent in an enclosure playing with a joystick offends my sailing sensibilities, I think they're definitely on to something with the man/machine interface with this mind blowing starship in a solo, non-stop race around the world. I wonder if all the other teams feel a little out gunned?

like the last boat, I'll bet this'll be the overall fastest in the race. it's amazing what man can create.

They may be out gunned - if Alex manages to keep her in one piece, 321.

Actually, 'her' is probably redundant. It looks more like it's needing some politically correct androgynous pronoun!  :-0

1 hour ago, NZK said:

How about this for a theory...

The Nokia/Bell Labs involvement actually means full camera and sensor coverage on deck/rigs to allow Alex to wear a VR headset down below to effectively 'remove' the cabin roof from his field of view and give fighter pilot style HUD for all wind and speed data etc...

This will never work. Try to remind the picture quality of VOR stationary cameras. The only use for those were to show how wet are conditions onboard. No way you can use cameras for trimming or driving.

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

They have used a new type of pigmentation in the paint I read somewhere so that it won't be hot at all. Apparently there was much thought given to this. I don't have the article handy but someone will at Anarchy you can count on it...........!

Try Rasp's post #139 on page 2, of this thread. :)

23 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Try Rasp's post #139 on page 2, of this thread. :)

Yeah I saw that later. The important thing was I new I had read it and was responding to the Black is Too Hot questions above. And could you imagine Alex and his team making design mistakes like that? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pilot said:

This will never work. Try to remind the picture quality of VOR stationary cameras. The only use for those were to show how wet are conditions onboard. No way you can use cameras for trimming or driving.

Driving will be 99.9% autopilot and AC teams have been trimming based on camera/ computer driven feedback for years.

2 hours ago, pilot said:

Surely that footage was low quality because of the satellite link? The latest go-pros etc are insanely high quality and would only need a localised on-board WiFi signal to relay to a headset.

Are there class rules about the amount of computer/AI feedback allowed for sail and foil trim?

2 minutes ago, NZK said:

Surely that footage was low quality because of the satellite link? The latest go-pros etc are insanely high quality and would only need a localised on-board WiFi signal to relay to a headset.

Are there class rules about the amount of computer/AI feedback allowed for sail and foil trim?

Could be a case of the rules trying to catch up with technology?

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Driving will be 99.9% autopilot and AC teams have been trimming based on camera/ computer driven feedback for years.

You just described 40 years of trimming outside AC ..except the camera bit..which is probably why they don't race AC at night.

1 hour ago, NZK said:

No! The satellite connection was not the weakest link in the chain. Nor was the camera quality. But lenses were constantly wet that made the picture foggy.

In good weather you can stick you head out of the hatches and you don’t need any cameras. And no camera on deck level can help you steer or trim while you need to keep hatches closed. Even if you attach cameras on top of the mast it does not guarantee usable picture quality over 3 months.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:59 AM, Rasputin22 said:

You can hardly keep breaking ground at the pace of the last one or you would just end up with dust... I just miss the hex paint job. Keel and rudders look fast. (Orange...)

Pink is the new orange

LookOut my friends of Charal's Bulls and new foiling geeks, look and note my brand new revolutionary weapon...

CrocHBpink.thumb.jpg.7bd92f9f3a34e3a079e6b05bc5b04877.jpg

I will finally win the VG... after all these years of hard crazy work and suffering... but with tha BossStyle

Anyone just want them to hurry up and put the foils in?!

I see their top bearings are mounted conpletely differently to every other IMOCA.

Top bearings out on deck near where the old vertical boards were.

Big kinky S shaped boards with tips like Apivia?

Screenshot_2019-08-08-00-11-13.png

37 minutes ago, darth reapius said:

Anyone just want them to hurry up and put the foils in?!

I see their top bearings are mounted conpletely differently to every other IMOCA.

Top bearings out on deck near where the old vertical boards were.

Big kinky S shaped boards with tips like Apivia?

Screenshot_2019-08-08-00-11-13.png

As I said a few days ago, look at the Quant 23. That is what I expect is see 

• Like 1

According to below article, the foils should indeed have something quite new :

Thomson says the idea for his foils was fleshed out while sitting in a car with Pete Hobson, his design manager at Alex Thomson Racing, and Andy Claughton, who used to design for the America’s Cup. “We were waiting for the ferry, and I’m trying to explain to Andy what I mean and he’s drawing the foil in the condensation of the car windscreen,” Thomson recalls. “We then went home, Pete drew it up and we sent it over to [French architects] VPLP.”

The stakes are high. If they have got it right, it could be the key to the team’s success. Conversely, if they have got it wrong he admits “it’s going to be hard to recover at this stage”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2019/08/04/alex-thomson-hoping-experience-bold-design-55m-superboat-pays/

• Like 2

You are right... It is their game. Little reveal parties. Probably good for sponsors. Still, I like the Apivia reveal. Here you go, foils and all, speculate as you wish. Shows confidence, like saying "bring it".

4 minutes ago, Varan said:

You are right... It is their game. Little reveal parties. Probably good for sponsors. Still, I like the Apivia reveal. Here you go, foils and all, speculate as you wish. Shows confidence, like saying "bring it".

AT runs a really good show for the sponser, it’s good marketing.  Also, why show and tell before you have to? He never has before, or trains alongside the others at the last race build up. 

Well I personally have given ATR/HB feedback that maybe it is not such 'good marketing' and that some of us just find it very irritating. Not saying I am right, just letting then know.

7 minutes ago, Essex said:

Well I personally have given ATR/HB feedback that maybe it is not such 'good marketing' and that some of us just find it very irritating. Not saying I am right, just letting then know.

Fair enough, but it’s their toy and they can do as they want, just think back to the skirts over keels during the AC. They’re not going to give it away just because you find it irritating. 

Please share the response you get back from them. 

The only people who are irritated are a few desperate IMOCA fans. The rest can live with the wait. 

I think AT racing and Hugo Boss might know a thing or two about marketing and getting their product advertised even to people with little or no interest in sailing...

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

I hope AT has a plan for a new marketing stunt....

Entering into a new profession, Alex begins learning magic, and will now saw himself in half using the foils, and re-join the two halfs using the rudders of the new boat.

His best stunt by far would be winning the bloody Vendée Globe.

Retired x 2, 3rd, 2nd, FIRST !

At 46 next year he might not fancy another try at 50. He deserves a 1st now, and that silly title Sir Alex, and more time with his family as well.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, hoppy said:

I hope AT has a plan for a new marketing stunt....

Well  after all those promos showing outrageous departures from the Boat, I reckon it is time we saw a film of the boat sailing along and instead he will somehow get onboard.

You read it here first...........

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

its revealed that he was comfortable on the sofa at home steering on the VR rig over sat com, explaining why the boat needed so little headroom

so what you're saying is he actually ran aground in his last race because the pizza guy came to the door but couldn't break a fifty?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

His best stunt by far would be winning the bloody Vendée Globe.

Retired x 2, 3rd, 2nd, FIRST !

At 46 next year he might not fancy another try at 50. He deserves a 1st now, and that silly title Sir Alex, and more time with his family as well.

LOL

On 8/6/2019 at 12:04 PM, Chimp too said:

The windows in the roof might be small, but I bet they have been smartly placed. For a VG optimised boat you have to keep electronics simple and low power.

True, as long as the power stays on...

Then what?

I get it but it's a really big leap and I can't wait to watch it unfold...

A lot of people are assuming that just because they've said they'll try and go around the world without using any fossil fuels, that diesel generation won't be available in the event of an issue with the solar panels.

1 minute ago, SCARECROW said:

A lot of people are assuming that just because they've said they'll try and go around the world without using any fossil fuels, that diesel generation won't be available in the event of an issue with the solar panels.

How much diesel actually gets used on average for this race? I bet its less than filling up the crew car for the same duration.

1 hour ago, mad said:

How much diesel actually gets used on average for this race? I bet its less than filling up the crew car for the same duration.

I used one gallon in the RdR, and only because I wanted a little heat in the cabin the first two nights. I carried the absolute minimum allowed under the rules. 

Between solar, hydro and fuel cells, the diesel generated options are far less critical at this point. 

Although one issue I see with the boat is that I have no idea where on the stern they can even mount a hydro generator.  Given the level of thought that has gone into this I have no doubt it's a calculated decision. 

Alex looks damn fit it those pictures.  Looks like more than just the boat has been receiving attention. 

• Like 4

Just saw a surprising announcement on facebook

We are proud to announce Raymarine as an Official Supplier to Team ATR.

“Today, technology is more important than ever before in our sport. The technology onboard the new HUGO BOSS boat will be cutting edge, in every area”.

Could this mean that RM will soon be announcing some new gear that will be geared towards racers? ATM it feels like they are more interested in cruisers and fishing boats

• Like 1

Most likely supplying FLIR thermal cameras or other IP cameras.

Latest version of Lighthouse 3 does have some performance oriented functions, start line, time to burn etc. Extensive library of polars for production boats, but still not at the level of B&G.

20 minutes ago, hoppy said:

When they first moved to the AXIOM processors, Lighthouse 3 lost the race functionality that LH2 had. 

They are back in the latest LH3, and look better than what LH2 provided. 

1 hour ago, Rail Meat said:

I used one gallon in the RdR, and only because I wanted a little heat in the cabin the first two nights. I carried the absolute minimum allowed under the rules. 

Between solar, hydro and fuel cells, the diesel generated options are far less critical at this point. 

Although one issue I see with the boat is that I have no idea where on the stern they can even mount a hydro generator.  Given the level of thought that has gone into this I have no doubt it's a calculated decision. 

Alex looks damn fit it those pictures.  Looks like more than just the boat has been receiving attention. 

BP had a turbine duct. But I'd imagine a duct can induce turbulence/flow separation from the hull. 

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Could this mean that RM will soon be announcing some new gear that will be geared towards racers? ATM it feels like they are more interested in cruisers and fishing boats

Now we know how Hugo Boss will lose the VG. The autopilot will the give up before he even turns port for the southern ocean. I kid. 

Maybe they have serious investment. Or just keep using H5000 and remove the badge or something. 

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

That could be (like others have meanwhile said) among other things, some forward (and upward) looking cameras from FLIR, Raymarine's parent company.

And next would be a new generation autopilot, again possibly with camera's involved. And then maybe some new high end racing stuff too.

Good move from both, Hugo Boss and Raymarine Flir, I would think.

Here they are trying to sell you their top model camera for your superyacht. 

And here a much smaller system for your self driving car or your Imoca 60.

No, they are gone make sure Alex can sleep peacefully, and not run into islands and so. ;)

4 hours ago, Rail Meat said:

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

BP had a turbine duct. But I'd imagine a duct can induce turbulence/flow separation from the hull

My understanding hydro power from his hybrid motor like Colman's but next generation setup??? 

5 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Someone correct me but don't race rules say you need an emergency diesel auxillary generator if you rely solely on an electric drive motor???

25 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Someone correct me but don't race rules say you need an emergency diesel auxillary generator if you rely solely on an electric drive motor???

What did Conrad Coleman do last time? Seem to remember that he went round with no diesel use. 

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not that I can see. Rule C6 says either Electric or diesel and then goes on about power and duration but not mention that there has to be diesel if main is electric

3 minutes ago, mad said:

What did Conrad Coleman do last time? Seem to remember that he went round with no diesel use. 

Didn't he get a late rule change to allow him to use the prop turning to generate power using that electric motor or something similar before the last VG?  The 2021 rule says Diesel or Electric which would pose a problem for any fuel cell entry (Phil Sharp, been discussed before).

I think HB's approach is high risk for an effort that hopes to win.  Conrad was exceptional but wasn't in the win targeting group..

What Beyou, Dalin and Simon are doing seems smarter to me although probably less headline grabbing for some.

Still fairly early days but I see those 3 as the front runners for the win at this point with Beyou clearly the current leader.  Three different designers too.

Roll on the TJV. Remember the TJV before that last VG. New boat carnage.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Didn't he get a late rule change to allow him to use the prop turning to generate power using that electric motor or something similar before the last VG?  The 2021 rule says Diesel or Electric which would pose a problem for any fuel cell entry (Phil Sharp, been discussed before).

I think HB's approach is high risk for an effort that hopes to win.  Conrad was exceptional but wasn't in the win targeting group..

What Beyou, Dalin and Simon are doing seems smarter to me although probably less headline grabbing for some.

Still fairly early days but I see those 3 as the front runners for the win at this point with Beyou clearly the current leader.  Three different designers too.

Roll on the TJV. Remember the TJV before that last VG. New boat carnage.

Conrad had to get his system verified with a data logger because his prop was open to regen & they needed to make sure it wasn't generating propulsion. 

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Not cynical..pound for pound comparison renewable to diesel a bees dick difference...might even favour diesel.

Someone can probably carefully do a analysis... but if you use a diesel, it must be at least 35hp - let's say a Nanni, that's 140 kilos. Then exhaust, cooling, fuel system, fuel tank, day fuel tank. Then there's a mandatory 20 liters reserve stored in jerry cans that can't be stacked & must be fixed in place. Then consider spare impellers, clamps, oil, seals and other items you might carry to service the diesel...

The requirement is...
- a traction load of 280 daN at a fixed point for at least 15 minutes
- a speed of 5,0 knots in any direction with an endurance of at least 5 hours

So ostensibly if you have sufficient regeneration capability, good enough batteries & a really light high performance motor + drive system (say 40-50 kilos for 35hp equivalent... might be able to pull thread the needle & get an actual performance gain in reducing weight, better weight distribution (batteries can be located are more extreme locations than a diesel or fuel).

Say you pick a particularly sunny day in Nice... remove all your sails, motor around at 5 knots while you have kilowatts of solar power deployed & sufficient lithium batteries as buffer... 

But really an all or nothing approach.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spyderpig said:

Not that I can see. Rule C6 says either Electric or diesel and then goes on about power and duration but not mention that there has to be diesel if main is electric

Sitting in my head is the propulsion engine's min power/boat speed/duration spec for emergencies meant a small diesel generator is required for anyone going electric propulsion?? Maybe I dreamed that up.

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

I would have to think so. It’d be a PR joke if he was Raymarine sponsored running B&G or NKE, etc. If it was a FLIR setup only, it would’ve been FLIR as the sponsor. I’ve had a few FLIR toys and think they’re awesome. I’ve also had some Raymarine toys and I’ll just go with no comment. 

• Like 1

The calculus on energy source vhf is a fascinating one. 

Diesel is really energy dense, but in addition to the weight consideration mentioned above you also news to add a spare alternator and regulator. And factor in that the weight penalty diminishes over time. 

Solar has a weight cost that is persistent, but its biggest issue is reliability of the sun. For reference, we had 4 hours of sun in the first 10 days of last year's RdR. I would have been fucked if relying on solar. 

Hydro has persistent weight, and drag. But its hugely reliable. Just need a couple light weight spare props. 

Fuel cell is energy dense and mechanically simple. Its weight penalty diminishes over time. But uts essentially impossible to repair under weigh, so no redundancy. 

My current choice is fuel cell, with secondary backup of hydro. Then I carry minimal diesel and do not bring a spare alternator. 

Your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mad said:

Conrad's OceanVolt ED system allowed him to use his propeller as a 'freewheeling' generator - when the boat was doing more than 18 kts, IIRC. It generated about 8kW at that speed, so he said he always had about a weeks worth of his energy needs in his battery bank at any one time. Pretty impressive. I guess he could have been in the shit under jury rig for too long though, eh? :-)

5 hours ago, Rail Meat said:

For reference, we had 4 hours of sun in the first 10 days of last year's RdR.

That's a common misconception to think solar cells only produce under direct sun exposition. It will drop significantly if it's cloudy but still produce electricity (like 15-25%). 

Then where the requirement stands for the 5 hours propulsion at 5kn mentionned by Miffy above is another question. The logic would be to be similar to diesel and being able to perform this at any time but contrary to the diesel, the can regenerate the fuel. Should they keep enough juice in the battery to have 5h autonomy from the battery at all time and how to monitor that? 

It should be quite a big headache for rule makers as well as boat builders to go full electric. Do you go for mean solar outputs based on average sunlight for the regions you cross or for worst case scenario and carry a big weight penalty?

4 hours ago, Lakrass said:

That's a common misconception to think solar cells only produce under direct sun exposition. It will drop significantly if it's cloudy but still produce electricity (like 15-25%). 

Then where the requirement stands for the 5 hours propulsion at 5kn mentionned by Miffy above is another question. The logic would be to be similar to diesel and being able to perform this at any time but contrary to the diesel, the can regenerate the fuel. Should they keep enough juice in the battery to have 5h autonomy from the battery at all time and how to monitor that? 

It should be quite a big headache for rule makers as well as boat builders to go full electric. Do you go for mean solar outputs based on average sunlight for the regions you cross or for worst case scenario and carry a big weight penalty?

I did some research a few years ago and adding any griptex in clearcoat over the solar panels reduced their efficiency dramatically 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

I did some research a few years ago and adding any griptex in clearcoat over the solar panels reduced their efficiency dramatically 

Yes and I'm sure this has been allowed for. A bit like having a solar blanket inside your windscreen, it still works but drops efficiency. My concern isn't the solar nowadays it's reliable and predictable, it's the totality of the electrical system and major failures. Only so much you can do on-board will need to be de-bugged bigtime but sure they know this anyway

On 8/8/2019 at 7:26 AM, hoppy said:

Raymarine? They cannot be serious

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yes and I'm sure this has been allowed for. A bit like having a solar blanket inside your windscreen, it still works but drops efficiency. My concern isn't the solar nowadays it's reliable and predictable, it's the totality of the electrical system and major failures. Only so much you can do on-board will need to be de-bugged bigtime but sure they know this anyway

Solbian has been offering textured surface for deck mounting for years.

1 hour ago, jb5 said:

Raymarine? They cannot be serious

For enough dollars Raymarine can have their name on the boat, and some screens with the boat's logo prominently displayed to put into advertisements

What is really driving the Autopilot rams, and what is calculating the polars and targets may not be what is in the advertisements. 

Some type of routing software (Exp/Adrena) running on a PC talking to the instruments, and autopilot to set the waypoints is required even if the waypoints are hand entered.

No on deck displays, so the IP rating and NIT's are not as important. 

17 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

For enough dollars Raymarine can have their name on the boat, and some screens with the boat's logo prominently displayed to put into advertisements

What is really driving the Autopilot rams, and what is calculating the polars and targets may not be what is in the advertisements. 

Some type of routing software (Exp/Adrena) running on a PC talking to the instruments, and autopilot to set the waypoints is required even if the waypoints are hand entered.

No on deck displays, so the IP rating and NIT's are not as important. 

I do not want raymarine on my boat. Unproven on a VG boat? Must be paying them a lot 

On 8/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, hoppy said:

The only people who are irritated are a few desperate IMOCA fans. The rest can live with the wait. 

I think AT racing and Hugo Boss might know a thing or two about marketing and getting their product advertised even to people with little or no interest in sailing...

Every time I watch this I see calm waters and wonder how they got such a heel out of a wind that produced only a ripple of waves.

The other thing I've wondered is if this wasn't done in two takes.  After AT jumps off the top of the mast, his feet begin to go past perpendicular to the water and I'm expecting them to keep going over.  Then they cut the clip and show him diving head first into the water. 

12 hours ago, Jules said:

Every time I watch this I see calm waters and wonder how they got such a heel out of a wind that produced only a ripple of waves.

The other thing I've wondered is if this wasn't done in two takes.  After AT jumps off the top of the mast, his feet begin to go past perpendicular to the water and I'm expecting them to keep going over.  Then they cut the clip and show him diving head first into the water. 

Cant the keel I leeward. 

It was done in multiple takes, there is a 'making of' video somewhere. 

• Like 1

But before it is in the finally heeled position for the walk it is canted to leeward.  Look at the early shots. I guess they worked out that the keel needed to go back to windward to balance the rig being all the way to leeward.

Starting his mast walk.  I'm thinking a stiff offshore breeze.  Not enough distance to generate any kind of a wave and enough breeze to put the boat on its side without canting the keel leeward.

MastWalk_01.jpg.4da6df171df4e68e011d9ea16424e4ca.jpg

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Starting his mast walk.  I'm thinking a stiff offshore breeze.  Not enough distance to generate any kind of a wave and enough breeze to put the boat on its side without canting the keel leeward.

Plus fill the leward balast tanks and stack anything movable to leward.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, r.finn said:

Perhaps Raytheon is stepping back in.

Maybe, but then they should have painted the boat grey and Thomo should wear camo HB kit.

At least he'll have a selection of fish finders to use to get food in case he runs out of power and takes 6 months to get around..

Not many higher end sailboats or powerboats seem to use Raymarine anymore in my observation. Seems another strange choice for a supposed front running campaign.

7 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Maybe, but then they should have painted the boat grey and Thomo should wear camo HB kit.

At least he'll have a selection of fish finders to use to get food in case he runs out of power and takes 6 months to get around..

Not many higher end sailboats or powerboats seem to use Raymarine anymore in my observation. Seems another strange choice for a supposed front running campaign.

Correct, but what does someone like this, with direct communication to the company actually need from an instrument manufacturer? Remember, every calculation they can try to get done will be done by expedition, so only input/output. IE:
Wind wand
Log
Depth

and

RMs version of 20/20s

I have no doubt alex has a 50k fluxgate compass and gps, as long as the wind wand and log can acuratly measure BS, AWA and AWS what more do you need?

2 minutes ago, james3232 said:

Correct, but what does someone like this, with direct communication to the company actually need from an instrument manufacturer? Remember, every calculation they can try to get done will be done by expedition, so only input/output. IE:
Wind wand
Log
Depth

and

RMs version of 20/20s

I have no doubt alex has a 50k fluxgate compass and gps, as long as the wind wand and log can acuratly measure BS, AWA and AWS what more do you need?

as long as its not on my boat he can do whatever he wants.  i'd be very surprised to see any of the French boats go these routes.  personally, I just prefer something that works as I want it to and does it well.

Truth is, aggressive autopilot steering has never been more important than it is now, just to stay on foils as long as possible.  There is zero chance any new IMOCA is using an off the shelf Raymarine autopilot.  Bell Labs and NOKIA could also be involved.  Will be interesting to see what comes out of it for Raymarine.

48 minutes ago, r.finn said:

Truth is, aggressive autopilot steering has never been more important than it is now, just to stay on foils as long as possible.  There is zero chance any new IMOCA is using an off the shelf Raymarine autopilot.  Bell Labs and NOKIA could also be involved.  Will be interesting to see what comes out of it for Raymarine.

Will need a lot of consistently available power to drive those APs.....something to consider

Seems likely you're right and something new is in the works otherwise I really wonder what companies like Raymarine think they are getting out of something like this.  Its not like they have a great rep in sailboat racing so its hard to see them getting a whole lot of traction for their mainstream products.  Only sailors will have any clue what that Raymarine brand even is and have any potential to ever buy anything and even then...