Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Those floats are either foiling wands or they are some kind of safety sheet release triggers. Or I have no idea. Or maybe they are some kind of sonar pods for finding ship wrecks and treasure. That's probably it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mystery solved. 

 

"MYSTERY SOLVED - AND I STILL WANT ONE.  This is not a weapon of mass destruction.  It turns out that this is a custom built device used to make marine depth surveys for the excellent Panama cruising guide. The forward hull has a depth transducer. The middle of the contraption has a depth sounder, transmitter, and batteries as well as a gps antenna.  The top has a transmitting antenna to send the data to the mother ship. The survey device is tethered to the side of the mother ship when in transit."

 

(Drake, it was on a Sunreef, not an OE. Way off!)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soma said:

(Drake, it was on a Sunreef, not an OE. Way off!)

I'm biased against Sunreef, but I didn't know anything about the Ocean Explorer. At first I thought it looked like a Catana (etc.) but then I saw the forward cockpit... but no inside helm, and most controls/winches  in the aft cockpit? Am I wrong to think "schizophrenic"?

Any thought on that boat?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Rocket Raccoon said:

I'm biased against Sunreef, but I didn't know anything about the Ocean Explorer. At first I thought it looked like a Catana (etc.) but then I saw the forward cockpit... but no inside helm, and most controls/winches  in the aft cockpit? Am I wrong to think "schizophrenic"?

Any thought on that boat?

I love the OE. I was aboard Like A Breeze just after she launched and several times since. There's another one in Newport currently. Hull 3 (?) just launched. The yard is a 3rd party supplier to Swan and Baltic,band they wanted a product of their own. Rather than pissing off their "bread and butter" clients with a competing monohull they went cat. Designed by Frers, BEAUTIFUL interiors, clever ideas, I love them. There are some goofy things...like the split cockpit, the kinda dour coachroof, lots of Titanium where it isn't useful or needed, but they're awesome. The OE guys were thinking of making a run at buying GB after the bankruptcy. I was hoping they'd prevail. A little slower than a GB but WAY nicer design. 

 

And yeah, Sunreef is about as fugly as they come. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soma said:

I love the OE. I was aboard Like A Breeze just after she launched and several times since. There's another one in Newport currently. Hull 3 (?) just launched. The yard is a 3rd party supplier to Swan and Baltic,band they wanted a product of their own. Rather than pissing off their "bread and butter" clients with a competing monohull they went cat. Designed by Frers, BEAUTIFUL interiors, clever ideas, I love them. There are some goofy things...like the split cockpit, the kinda dour coachroof, lots of Titanium where it isn't useful or needed, but they're awesome. The OE guys were thinking of making a run at buying GB after the bankruptcy. I was hoping they'd prevail. A little slower than a GB but WAY nicer design. 

Curious about the design comment - are you talking about the boat itself, interior, sail handling?  Your interior comments made me think you're talking about interior design (which I would agree with after watching the walk-throughs on YachtWorld....holy cow).  How do they compare to GBs, Outremer 5X, TS5, etc on cost fully finished?  Given the materials and the finish, I'd think they'd have to be in GB68 territory cost wise...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...