Fire Arrow Foil System Wins Big!

Gitana 17 won the Fastnet by just seconds followed by Macif in an extremely close race. Whats really cool is that the revolutionary foil system pioneered on the Fire Arrow Test Model in 2014 was used on both boats.

pix by Dan Burke:

MPX Fire Arrow-First Full Flying Foiling on video-7-24-14 013 - Copy - Copy (3).JPG

pix by Stichelbaut:

Gitana 17 very much like FA - Eloi Stichelbaut.JPG

• Downvote 2

I know there are lots of folks fascinated by foiling sailboats.  I'm just not one of them.  Perhaps retirement and age has cooled my enthusiasm for new things; but I do enjoy a tranquil sail in 8-12 breeze on flat water more than honkin' at the edge of the envelope like I used to.  

21 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

DOuG just fractionally delusional LorD?

I’m just waiting for Round 3. Round 1 was amusing when he tried to insert himself into the CBTF world. Round 2 got vastly more amusing when he brought out the DouG typing, thinking anyone would actually take him seriously in the foiling world. I’m betting Round 3 brings out “the symbol formerly known as DouG” since funny typing just wasn’t enough!  I won’t rule out posts typed entirely in emojis. 

7 hours ago, RImike said:

I ignored him right around the beginning of round 2. Is he still around or has has he taken his proverbial kick ball and "roofed it" so no one can play anymore? 

He’s settled down mostly. He just pops up occasionally to look stupid. I’m guessing he’s on better meds and I wish him well for that. 

I may be wrong, but his settling down appeared to happen just after I blasted the fuck out of him one very cranky morning.     :rolleyes:

What do you think Gary ?    or maybe Darth  ?

I thought he reinvented himself as the Sail GP guy - SmackDaddy - that endlessly talks to himself like Doug but I guess there are now two with the same affliction. Why do the wackos end up here? Can’t we send them to PA?

1 hour ago, Wess said:

I thought he reinvented himself as the Sail GP guy - SmackDaddy - that endlessly talks to himself like Doug but I guess there are now two with the same affliction. Why do the wackos end up here? Can’t we send them to PA?

Personally, I don’t think SmackDaddy’s obsession with SailGP comes even remotely close to the drivel that comes from dOuG lOrDs  keyboard. 

• Like 4
On 8/9/2019 at 8:20 AM, Solarbri said:

Personally, I don’t think SmackDaddy’s obsession with SailGP comes even remotely close to the drivel that comes from dOuG lOrDs  keyboard. 

Thanks Solar. I really don't understand why guys like Wess are so intimidated. But whatever. The views of the thread say all that need to be said. I'm glad people are enjoying it. Cheers dude.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:26 AM, Wess said:

Not a chance. They’re both rabid idiots, but unlike DouG, SD hasn’t shown a hint of intelligence. He just posts over and over and over and over again. He’s basically masturbating with a sailing forum. At least he’s happy. 

The fLORiDa Fuckwit reminds me of Ten Second Tom from 50 First Dates 

His ability to breeze in here, acting  as if he has a microgramme of credibility is truly heartwarming........ But no longer funny or going to elicit sympathy

On 8/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Doug Lord said:

Gitana 17 won the Fastnet by just seconds followed by Macif in an extremely close race. Whats really cool is that the revolutionary foil system pioneered on the Fire Arrow Test Model in 2014 was used on both boats.

pix by Dan Burke:

MPX Fire Arrow-First Full Flying Foiling on video-7-24-14 013 - Copy - Copy (3).JPG

pix by Stichelbaut:

The technology used on the foil systems of the ULTIMS, Maserati and soon Argo is state of the art and a total revolution in fast trimaran design! An under 20' design using this system will probably prove more to more people than the big boats-and will change small boat foiling forever......

WOLF 14 conept model rig-8-7-18 003.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

The technology used on the foil systems of the ULTIMS, Maserati and soon Argo is state of the art and a total revolution in fast trimaran design! An under 20' design using this system will probably prove more to more people than the big boats-and will change small boat foiling forever......

No fan of yours, but you might be on to something. No "total revolution", just another foiling concept.  About smaller foilers one have to examine if the wet areas of daggerboard, rudder and lifting foil of this variation are low enough? 

DoUgLas, instead of posting untold hectares of horse defecation just build your slightly larger-than-toy version capable of carrying  your large posterior. Hasn't this been suggested multiple times before? But you ignore. Why is that? Fear? Preference to exist in fantasy la la land?

It's interesting to see how some on this forum feel the need to defecate on certain individuals to make themselves feel better.  It's also interesting to note who does the bashing. Some familiar characters.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

It's interesting to see how some on this forum feel the need to defecate on certain individuals to make themselves feel better.  It's also interesting to note who does the bashing. Some familiar characters.

Respect for Russell!

• Like 1
On 8/15/2019 at 2:40 PM, Russell Brown said:

You mean you read/enjoy the reams of repetition and self promotion emanating from this beyond strange person? Interesting.

• Downvote 1
On 8/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, Russell Brown said:

nopdglvp64711.png

• Like 1
On 8/15/2019 at 3:40 AM, Russell Brown said:

Please feel free to trawl this site and read up on postings, then get back to us. 

It's not bashing.   When someone claims "Fire Arrow Foil System Wins Big" but the boats shown don't use a "Fire Arrow Foil System" so it didn't "Win Big" you don't think that deserves a bit of mocking on a site with Anarchy in the title?

2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I guess I just don't get it. Why be ugly when it's easier to let it pass and forget about it? Doug's not being ugly to any of you.

I'm on a few different forums (fora?) each has a DL equivalent self-promoting type. None of those seem to react negatively to the abuse ever.

How do you remain so positive, Doug? 

Technical aspects of the WOLF prototype using the Fire Arrow Foil System:

WOLF daughter of fire arrow 
Specifications

Latest Update 5/15/19---Design 99% complete--ready to build!
Design by Doug Lord--- with a little help from my friends
Inspired by Fire Arrow
System usable on trimarans from one meter LOA to 100+'.
==================
A) WOLF specs(tentative) :
LOA 15' 8"
Max Beam 16'
CL ama hull to CL ama hull-14'
Target weight 175-190lb
SA-(mast length 24' all carbon wing mast)
--upwind: 185 sq.ft
--downwind: 300 sq.ft
--max pressure before depowering/reefing:
-----UptiP Foils= 1.34 lb per sq.ft. sail area.
-----Welbourn Foils= 1.8 lb per sq.ft. sail area.
* NOTE-see "F)" below for max pressure comparison with an F18.
-----------------------------------
SAIL LOADING- an indicator of hydrofoil performance. Divide weight in pounds by SA in sq.ft( reference: Moth= 2.86lb. per sq.ft. sail loading w 180lb crew).
WOLF- upwind SA 185, downwind SA 300. Weights using highest estimated boat weight* + 220lb for one person and +340lb for two people(MAX).
* 190lb
------
upwind-one person=2.21 lb. per sq.ft. sail loading @ 410lb total flying weight
two people=2.86 lb. per sq.ft. sail loading @ 530lb total flying weight
--
downwind-one person=1.37 lb. per sq.ft. sail loading @ 410lb total flying weight
two people=1.77 lb per sq.ft. sail loading @ 530lb total flying weight
------------------------------------------------
B-- Advantages:
1-Singlehander- Excellent upwind and downwind performance with 220lb crew. Minimum crew weight 120lb*. Two people for daysailing-max about 340lb.
*Righting moment supplemented by mainfoil downforce provided automatically with no crew intervention required.
--
2- Will foil in 5 knots of wind with 220lb crew .
--
3- Carbon rotating wing mast, carbon cross arms and carbon foils.
--
4- Retractable foils(from cockpit). Mainfoil retracts flush with bottom and tips are designed to not dig into sand. Rudder foil retracts above bottom. Ama foils retract above waterline when boat is level.
--
5- Extremely comfortable sliding seat* on each side. Allows crew to move 1.75' outboard very quickly.
* see picture below-
--
6- Uses the Fire Arrow Foil System(like Fire Arrow, Gitana 17, Banque Pop, Macif , Macif jr(24'Diam tri) and Maserati)-- the same as the original system first used on the Fire Arrow Test Model- except the larger boats use two rudder t-foils on each tack. WOLF has two UptiP ama foils-one used at a time-and one wand controlled mainfoil for very early takeoff and capable of substantial downforce- all working with a single rudder T-foil. Downforce can be virtually instantaneous adding RM in response to gusts. UptiP foils stay down-no adjustment when tacking or gybing.
(see #16 below)
--
7- Foiling throughout the wind range -including very light air-the essence of 3D SAILING!
--
8- Assy Spin/Screecher retracted under the front deck.
--
9- Boat folds from max beam to trailerable width in about 4 minutes. No waterstays.
--
10- Mid (wish)boom mainsheet so sheet* is always in forward hand and extension tiller always in aft hand.
*uses variation of the Swift Solo main +jib sheeting system=single sheet.
--
11- Quickly self-draining cockpit-large scuppers with backflow flap.
--
12- Planing ama hulls designed for incidental contact with water at speed and for inadvertent contact at slow speed.
Adjustable angle of incidence of planing surface of each ama simultaneously on prototype. Angle of incidence of ama foil has to be changed when this is done. Planing surface starts at +4 degrees.
Uses Two-Stage Amas-see attachments below. They consist of a planing ama hull(Stage One) coupled to a "curved piece"(Stage Two) that provides extra buoyancy in the event of a knockdown. Curved piece facilitates high dihedral crossarms which keep the crossarms clear of the water.
--
13- Planing main hull.
--
14- Aerodynamic surfaces added to forward and aft crossarms. Adjustable flaps added on rear cross each side. Jib foot and forward part of main foot to be sealed to deck.
--
15- Automatic Foiling: no foil adjustments required after shoving off the beach and lowering the foils.
--
16- Adjustable crossarm dihedral for prototype to facilitate testing.
[IMG]

-------
==================
C) ---Memorable quote from JG Baker, Designer and Builder of the Monitor foiler in the 1950's:
" The main need is to lower the wind velocities required for flying in order to increase the opportunities for high speed travel"

D) ---VPLP on the daggerboard main foil:
" On these big boats, when you ease a sail, it is a pain because it takes so long to grind it back in. But here you press a button and the angles of incidence change. And with the foil on the daggerboard you can use it to alter the flight according to the wind*. If it builds, rather than easing the sheet you increase the righting moment by increasing the angle and conversely, as it eases you can reduce it and let it fly more."
* done 100% automatically on Fire Arrow/ WOLF with wand controlled main foil.

================
E) --- Fire Arrow Foil System-first of its kind on any trimaran. Elements developed first by Fire Arrow include:
1) the first trimaran in history to use UptiP* ama foils,
*invented by Team New Zealand
---
2) the first trimaran in history to use a single wand controlled main foil capable of downforce,
---
3) the first trimaran in history to use Two Stage Amas.(see below for Two-Stage Ama pictures)*

=======================================================
F) Max pressure for F18 and WOLF before depowering or reefing :
1)-The max pressure for an F18 based on 229 sq.ft. upwind SA, CE at 16.9', 2-180lb crew on trapezes and 5320 ft.lb. RM is 1.39 lb/sq.ft..
---
2) --UptiP Foils-Max pressure for WOLF with 185 sq.ft. upwind SA, CE at 14', one 220lb crew sitting in a comfortable sliding seat, and 3486 ft.lb RM* is 1.34 lb/sq.ft..
---
3)--Welbourn Foils- Max pressure for WOLF with 185 sq.ft. upwind SA, CE at 14', one 220lb crew sitting in a comfortable sliding seat, and 4654 ft.lb RM* is 1.8 lb/sq.ft..
Note: Welbourn foils provide 1.34 times the RM possible with UptiP foils*.
*not including downforce automatically generated by the wand controlled main foil.
corrected 5/15/19
===========================================================
G) *The Two Stage Ama Design offers a lot both Statically and Dynamically:
1-Statically- the boat is sitting still and hit by a hand of God gust. It is theoretically possible that the boat could be knocked over with the mast horizontal but the two stage ama offers reserve buoyancy after the ama hull itself is immersed by the immersion of Stage Two("curved piece") . It is enough, however, to right the boat and/or prevent a 90 degree capsize.
2-Dynamically-the ama hull has two levels of dynamic vertical force:
a. first and foremost the ama lifting foil that works from very low speed on up,
b. Second, and a sort of back up at speed, is the planing hull design of the ama. To start with on Fire Arrow/WOLF, the planing surface only comes into contact with the surface at very low speed with the ama starting to fly before the main hull does. And when the boat is flying the ama performs as reserve lift during incidental surface contact at speed.
*Also see here for more on two stage ama theory: High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-the-test-model.36058/page-191

[IMG] [IMG]
======================================================
UptiP Ama Altitude Control-pictures A & B----
Note that the ama is flying before main hull-note ama flight altitude:
[IMG]

Now that the main hull is flying and speed and load are significantly greater than in "A" above, note that ama flight altitude is the same! And that's due to the ama UptiP foil design(no moving parts) :
[IMG]
=======================

[IMG]

[IMG]

WOLF Trimaran Foiler -update 5/15/19
Latest: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-the-test-model.36058/page-196#post-859849

Neat link to a thread with tons of post, nearly all by someone named Doug Lord.   How about a link to a yacht designer giving you credit for developing foil technology they copied?   Do you have video of sustained flight that many have asked for for how many years?   How is your patent infringement lawsuit(s) coming since they are all using "your" technology without licensing it? 

7 hours ago, Doug Lord said:

Technical aspects of the WOLF prototype using the Fire Arrow Foil System:

WOLF daughter of fire arrow 
Specifications

Latest Update 5/15/19---Design 99% complete--ready to build!
Design by Doug Lord--- with a little help from my friends
Inspired by Fire Arrow
System usable on trimarans from one meter LOA to 100+'.
==================
A) WOLF specs(tentative) :
LOA 15' 8"
Max Beam 16'
CL ama hull to CL ama hull-14'
Target weight 175-190lb
SA-(mast length 24' all carbon wing mast)
--upwind: 185 sq.ft
--downwind: 300 sq.ft
--max pressure before depowering/reefing:
-----UptiP Foils= 1.34 lb per sq.ft. sail area.
-----Welbourn Foils= 1.8 lb per sq.ft. sail area.
* NOTE-see "F)" below for max pressure comparison with an F18.
-----------------------------------
SAIL LOADING- an indicator of hydrofoil performance. Divide weight in pounds by SA in sq.ft( reference: Moth= 2.86lb. per sq.ft. sail loading w 180lb crew).
WOLF- upwind SA 185, downwind SA 300. Weights using highest estimated boat weight* + 220lb for one person and +340lb for two people(MAX).
* 190lb
------
upwind-one person=2.21 lb. per sq.ft. sail loading @ 410lb total flying weight
two people=2.86 lb. per sq.ft. sail loading @ 530lb total flying weight
--
downwind-one person=1.37 lb. per sq.ft. sail loading @ 410lb total flying weight
two people=1.77 lb per sq.ft. sail loading @ 530lb total flying weight
------------------------------------------------
B-- Advantages:
1-Singlehander- Excellent upwind and downwind performance with 220lb crew. Minimum crew weight 120lb*. Two people for daysailing-max about 340lb.
*Righting moment supplemented by mainfoil downforce provided automatically with no crew intervention required.
--
2- Will foil in 5 knots of wind with 220lb crew .
--
3- Carbon rotating wing mast, carbon cross arms and carbon foils.
--
4- Retractable foils(from cockpit). Mainfoil retracts flush with bottom and tips are designed to not dig into sand. Rudder foil retracts above bottom. Ama foils retract above waterline when boat is level.
--
5- Extremely comfortable sliding seat* on each side. Allows crew to move 1.75' outboard very quickly.
* see picture below-
--
6- Uses the Fire Arrow Foil System(like Fire Arrow, Gitana 17, Banque Pop, Macif , Macif jr(24'Diam tri) and Maserati)-- the same as the original system first used on the Fire Arrow Test Model- except the larger boats use two rudder t-foils on each tack. WOLF has two UptiP ama foils-one used at a time-and one wand controlled mainfoil for very early takeoff and capable of substantial downforce- all working with a single rudder T-foil. Downforce can be virtually instantaneous adding RM in response to gusts. UptiP foils stay down-no adjustment when tacking or gybing.
(see #16 below)
--
7- Foiling throughout the wind range -including very light air-the essence of 3D SAILING!
--
8- Assy Spin/Screecher retracted under the front deck.
--
9- Boat folds from max beam to trailerable width in about 4 minutes. No waterstays.
--
10- Mid (wish)boom mainsheet so sheet* is always in forward hand and extension tiller always in aft hand.
*uses variation of the Swift Solo main +jib sheeting system=single sheet.
--
11- Quickly self-draining cockpit-large scuppers with backflow flap.
--
12- Planing ama hulls designed for incidental contact with water at speed and for inadvertent contact at slow speed.
Adjustable angle of incidence of planing surface of each ama simultaneously on prototype. Angle of incidence of ama foil has to be changed when this is done. Planing surface starts at +4 degrees.
Uses Two-Stage Amas-see attachments below. They consist of a planing ama hull(Stage One) coupled to a "curved piece"(Stage Two) that provides extra buoyancy in the event of a knockdown. Curved piece facilitates high dihedral crossarms which keep the crossarms clear of the water.
--
13- Planing main hull.
--
14- Aerodynamic surfaces added to forward and aft crossarms. Adjustable flaps added on rear cross each side. Jib foot and forward part of main foot to be sealed to deck.
--
15- Automatic Foiling: no foil adjustments required after shoving off the beach and lowering the foils.
--
16- Adjustable crossarm dihedral for prototype to facilitate testing.
[IMG]

-------
==================
C) ---Memorable quote from JG Baker, Designer and Builder of the Monitor foiler in the 1950's:
" The main need is to lower the wind velocities required for flying in order to increase the opportunities for high speed travel"

D) ---VPLP on the daggerboard main foil:
" On these big boats, when you ease a sail, it is a pain because it takes so long to grind it back in. But here you press a button and the angles of incidence change. And with the foil on the daggerboard you can use it to alter the flight according to the wind*. If it builds, rather than easing the sheet you increase the righting moment by increasing the angle and conversely, as it eases you can reduce it and let it fly more."
* done 100% automatically on Fire Arrow/ WOLF with wand controlled main foil.

================
E) --- Fire Arrow Foil System-first of its kind on any trimaran. Elements developed first by Fire Arrow include:
1) the first trimaran in history to use UptiP* ama foils,
*invented by Team New Zealand
---
2) the first trimaran in history to use a single wand controlled main foil capable of downforce,
---
3) the first trimaran in history to use Two Stage Amas.(see below for Two-Stage Ama pictures)*

=======================================================
F) Max pressure for F18 and WOLF before depowering or reefing :
1)-The max pressure for an F18 based on 229 sq.ft. upwind SA, CE at 16.9', 2-180lb crew on trapezes and 5320 ft.lb. RM is 1.39 lb/sq.ft..
---
2) --UptiP Foils-Max pressure for WOLF with 185 sq.ft. upwind SA, CE at 14', one 220lb crew sitting in a comfortable sliding seat, and 3486 ft.lb RM* is 1.34 lb/sq.ft..
---
3)--Welbourn Foils- Max pressure for WOLF with 185 sq.ft. upwind SA, CE at 14', one 220lb crew sitting in a comfortable sliding seat, and 4654 ft.lb RM* is 1.8 lb/sq.ft..
Note: Welbourn foils provide 1.34 times the RM possible with UptiP foils*.
*not including downforce automatically generated by the wand controlled main foil.
corrected 5/15/19
===========================================================
G) *The Two Stage Ama Design offers a lot both Statically and Dynamically:
1-Statically- the boat is sitting still and hit by a hand of God gust. It is theoretically possible that the boat could be knocked over with the mast horizontal but the two stage ama offers reserve buoyancy after the ama hull itself is immersed by the immersion of Stage Two("curved piece") . It is enough, however, to right the boat and/or prevent a 90 degree capsize.
2-Dynamically-the ama hull has two levels of dynamic vertical force:
a. first and foremost the ama lifting foil that works from very low speed on up,
b. Second, and a sort of back up at speed, is the planing hull design of the ama. To start with on Fire Arrow/WOLF, the planing surface only comes into contact with the surface at very low speed with the ama starting to fly before the main hull does. And when the boat is flying the ama performs as reserve lift during incidental surface contact at speed.
*Also see here for more on two stage ama theory: High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-the-test-model.36058/page-191

[IMG] [IMG]
======================================================
UptiP Ama Altitude Control-pictures A & B----
Note that the ama is flying before main hull-note ama flight altitude:
[IMG]

Now that the main hull is flying and speed and load are significantly greater than in "A" above, note that ama flight altitude is the same! And that's due to the ama UptiP foil design(no moving parts) :
[IMG]
=======================

[IMG]

[IMG]

WOLF Trimaran Foiler -update 5/15/19
Latest: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-the-test-model.36058/page-196#post-859849

Apologies for quoting - but the above long winded to beyond insane repetition has the mark of heavy handed fascism?

"I haf vays of making you like my genius?" Sound of machine gun.

I’m almost glad you quoted him or I would’ve missed some of the new tech being used. 

This is the first time I’ve seen a blue tarp come in to play. I wonder if that makes for a smoother interaction with the foils than previously seen with the lawn. 

On 8/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, Monkey said:

I’m almost glad you quoted him or I would’ve missed some of the new tech being used. 

This is the first time I’ve seen a blue tarp come in to play. I wonder if that makes for a smoother interaction with the foils than previously seen with the lawn. 

Unfortunately there is NOTHING new. Although grass is more common, the blue tarp has been a regular feature for years.

On 9/2/2019 at 12:02 AM, Sandcat said:

Doug, what’s your expected build cost and timeline of the Wolf? I’d like to see it built. 

Between 65,000 and 120,000 for one off build(no tooling) and 6 months testing. No timeline yet but as soon as possible!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Doug Lord said:

pix by Dan Burke:

pix by Stichelbaut:

Fantastic performance by the most revolutionary trimaran foil system in the history of mankind!

• Downvote 1
4 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

<Intercom> Paging @smackdaddy </Intercom>. Combine efforts to bring the most revolutionary foils to radically redefine SailGP. 

Heh. I think SailGP has been redefined enough - thank you.

• 1 month later...

Moron, who quotes Carlin no less - I'm sure he would have something pithy to say about that; Sodebo sailed back towards the west for some time before turning east - to avoid  vile sailing conditions  - and this would be something of which you would have less than zero experience - also Sodebo has broken rudder problems right now - so go back to your la la land and your wacko toys. Better still, go away from this site altogether; thought you were one of the very few banned because of your insufferable ego defecation? 

SD. Thanks for posting that video. 

Holy fuck!!

I’m just not sure what to say or think!!!

That is another 100 levels up. And they are racing!!! Not just surviving. 

So beautiful, so amazing, so nauseating, so rectum tightening. Really viscous and powerful yet graceful on a massive scale. 

The engineering, (The engineering!!!!) the vision, the skill, the materials, the designs, the investment, the sailors. 

Are we not blessed! The era we live in to witness (or for those who are a part of) these things. 

I’m trying to visualise those conditions or worse, when one is so so super tired, so so super cold and on your own. 

I guess you just have to get accustomed to the movement and the noises enough so that you can sleep...
somehow. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Was fortunate to view the contenders in Brest the day before the start, even getting up close and personal with a foil. No credit anywhere to DL so I guess they have moved on?

Imagine that, you'd think Doug would be suing them for patent infringement!! :P

On 11/17/2019 at 5:48 AM, smackdaddy said:

I will say those are some pretty skanky conditions at the start!

Dopey questions department (again). 

Footage obviously from a helicopter (no doubt there wouldn’t be a drone that could  handle those conditions?) but the sound track obviously not from a chopper. Odd. Sounds like maybe not even from one of the boats. Very odd. 

any ideas. 

On 11/19/2019 at 5:32 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Was fortunate to view the contenders in Brest the day before the start, even getting up close and personal with a foil. No credit anywhere to DL so I guess they have moved on?

He’s still busy from when he tried to latch onto CBTF. 

I mean the boats the sailors the footage  etc etc are mind blowing. What fucking knob adds a sound track of waves lapping on the shore or their kid in the bath or whatever it is to that video? 
I accept the screaming roar of a helicopter would be dumb. Some cool music would actually enhance it. Oh that’s right we can’t do that. Copyright. Ok put the track of the waves lapping on the beach then. Brilliant. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:48 AM, smackdaddy said:

I will say those are some pretty skanky conditions at the start!

These things are beginning to morph into iceboats.

Congratualations to Gitana 17 and her remarkable foil system for winning the Brest Atlantique by over 1300 miles!! She flew for around 50% of the time!

Gitana Pix by Stickelbaut:

Fire Arrow pix by Dan Burke:

Gitana 17 very much like FA-Eloi Stichelbaut.JPG

MPX Fire Arrow-First Full Flying Foiling on video-7-24-14 012 (3) - Copy.JPG

I took the time to read the stuff on the gitana team website and it looked like a good team was put together.  Heart skipped a beat when I read..."Ariane de Rothschild, founder, with her husband Benjamin de Rothschild, of the five-arrow racing stable, has personally invested a great deal of time and energy ..." since it thought at first it said Fire arrow not five arrow...In any event, their tales spoke over and over again about the worries about breaking the boat or striking a UFO (Unidentified Floating Object).   Surprised me to learn it took 170,000 man hours to construct the boat.

• Like 1
Gitana 17--
Just heard back from the boats designer* with a "thank-you" for my congratulatory note. He was very pleased with the result(to say the least!).
*Guillaume Verdier
---
The Brest result, with all its conditions, was an ideal proving ground for the unique foil system used by Gitana(1st) and Macif(2nd). Whats more, the use of the lifting foil(capable of downforce) on the daggerboard has again proven it's essential role in high speed ocean flying.......(along with the UptiP ama foils used on all the boats)
I look forward to getting the WOLF built so that this remarkable foil system pioneered by Fire Arrow, Maserati ,Banque Populaire, Macif and Gitana 17 can prove itself again on small foiling tri's where its attributes will allow lite air take off ,ease of sailing and fantastic performance throughout the wind range!

WOLF 14 conept model rig-8-7-18 003.JPG

WOLF 14  retracted foils  8-13-18 007.JPG

WOLF 14  retracted foils  8-13-18 011.JPG

yes, it is a Revolution
Fire Arrow Foil System/ 3D SAILING
WOLF https://sailwolffoiler.com/wolf/
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great news that Gitana 17 is going forward with automatic control of the lifting foil on the daggerboard! Gitana's foil system is nearly identical to the Fire Arrow Foil System which was the first trimaran flying system to incorporate automatic control of the daggerboard lifting foil.

In addition, Fire Arrow, was the first trimaran to adopt the automatic altitude control of the foil invented by TNZ for AC 34- followed by Maserati and Gitana 17(and the other Ultims).

Pix by Dan Burke---

MPX Fire Arrow-First Full Flying Foiling on video-7-24-14 013 - Copy.JPG

• 1 month later...