Transat Jacque Vabre 2019

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning from Initiatives Coeur! All is good on board! It’s been a great run so far and we have already achieved a new record top speed for the boat - 34.2 knots reaching yesterday! The only pro

Yes owners, and often with outside investors for the value of the cargo. My grandfather re bought his grandfathers cargo boat and kept it in the family for outings. So I could sail before I could sw

Will Harris' explanation of the western option: https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/en/news/newswire/1366/will-harris-britain-co-skipper-malizia-ii-yacht-club-de-monaco

Posted Images

So much could go wrong once in the lee of the point . . . either boat could get stuck or get a nice little puff. Speed advance still to Charal, positioning advantage to PRP, and no duffers on either boat. 

PRB is almost there, they have found her thrusters and is moving @ 18 kts while Charal is @ 14 kts. DTL up to 2.4 nm. PRB made a small detour around the southern cardinal buoy for the Bank of St. Anthony. Charal too. Unless something breaks, PRB should take that 2nd place.

image.thumb.png.993a156555cb9dfab1384530fccce7a2.pngimage.png.5fe812c876aa96f7a649025b41c7f037.png

• Like 2

Great routing for Apivia to win the race through the Doldrums.  Well done PRB.  I posted this on page three.  Think I'm going to stick with my base polars with some tweaks in the upper wind ranges.

Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.20.42 PM.png

• Like 2

brilliant..........

1. 20 miles from the finish and 1 mile away from @prbfrance and @JeremieBeyou after more than 14 days of racing!

2.Closest to the Brazilian coast, Kevin and Nicolas give everything to master the attacks of Charal, 1.9 miles behind

3.After a breathtaking match racing, Kevin Escoffier and @nicolunven managed to maintain their superb second place

EJBcmlnXUAYGunx.jpg

EJBZozgXkAE1CYW.jpg

• Like 3

Arrivals will continue to succeed one another. Next in Salvador de Bahia: @advens now. Follow @ 11thHourTeam in stride. Then tonight: @VoileBanquePop and @initiativecoeur. And three more boats tomorrow morning to complete the top 10. #TransatJV

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 5.16.26 am.png

1 hour ago, huey 2 said:

Here come the Gals . ....

That will get the samba bands going, must be a fun afternoon there.

Just waking up here, but I'm ready for them....

More gals here:

Edited by Fiji Bitter
Samba gals

Just a tip. Copy-pasting these twitter links do not display well here, due to the black background. If you take a screen shot and paste it in the post it's readable. 

twitter.png

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Just a tip. Copy-pasting these twitter links do not display well here, due to the black background. If you take a screen shot and paste it in the post it's readable. 

Thanks for the tip. Works on the mac stuff here--laptop, iPad, and phone, so not sure why it doesn't work for others.

1848617677_ScreenShot2019-11-10at2_35_14PM.png.49f7c10e74909865b989ba8803f6efbe.png

• Like 2

Stief, thanks for trying, but that doesn't work, if anything it screws up Android even more. Been a problem for a long time, fuck Apple.

Anyway, Initiatives just finished too, waiting for the video links from you guys, thank you!

PS. It's probably more of a Twitter problem, Facebook video's play badly too, fucking hate them all!

Edited by Fiji Bitter
PS
  • Like 2

Thanks for the check Fiji. Figured it was a non-apple issue. Checked the Anarchy FAQ threads, and nothing there. No matter. Easier not to post the tweets anyway; people know to look there. 

As for the vids from FB of the finishes, they are pretty long and didn't see much interesting. Too tough to watch around the incessant log-in prompts. Have to wait for the teams to slick up their packaged vids.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, IC youth movement said:

Who designed PRB's foils?  Impressive showing with a 10 year old boat. 

Juan K working with Vincent R. Great job obviously. Shame about Arkea though. 

• Like 1

https://www.charal.fr/post-voile/charal-troisieme-de-la-transat-jacques-vabre-apres-une-belle-remontada/

Jérémie Beyou: "  It's good to arrive and it's much better to be on the podium, even if it's the first place that was our target throughout the preparation and the beginning of the race. We had really sailed well for the first ten days, making the right trajectories and getting the boat moving, but the Doldrums were just bad luck, we had three uncomfortable days.

Afterwards, when we saw that the third place could be possible we got going and we managed to put gas and we showed that we were better than a fifth or sixth place, we can be proud of that. "

Christopher Pratt: "When we saw that the podium was possible, it gave us a target. But the goal was to give everything to finish on the podium, we had to do it for the whole team and for Charal, we are happy to offer them this third place. The Doldrums was very hard to live through, we each cried in turn, it was an infernal ride that did not stop, we did not see the end of the tunnel, it's really a moment that will remain a hardest of my career as a sailor. "

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

I doubt anyone would have guessed the podium in the right order for the IMOCAs. My picks of Charal, HB and Apivia were way out.

Not really, you were very close. Charal would have won if not getting stuck in the Doldrums, Apivia looked ahead with the advantage and went around them. Hugo Boss is no doubt fast but they had issues, got forced West and the rest is history. So I think you would have been right if not for the Doldrums and HB being forced West etc? 

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Not really, you were very close. Charal would have won if not getting stuck in the Doldrums, Apivia looked ahead with the advantage and went around them. Hugo Boss is no doubt fast but they had issues, got forced West and the rest is history. So I think you would have been right if not for the Doldrums and HB being forced West etc? 

Yeah and if my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bicycle.

For fuck sakes, that's sailing, all that is part of the game !

• Like 1
On 10/26/2019 at 8:13 AM, Sailbydate said:

Big race coming up.

Lots of new technology to prove and some pretty strong old contenders too. Looking forward to this one.

Prediction: Apivia for the win.

Well...I wasn't going to mention it, but..... ;-)

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, popo said:

Yeah and if my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bicycle.

For fuck sakes, that's sailing, all that is part of the game !

If your Grand Mother had wheels she could be a bike rider or a car owner.! For fucks sake get it right. I was telling Rainbow Spirit he wasn't far off if Hugo Boss hadn't of capitulated. 

Pratt; it was an infernal ride that did not stop, we did not see the end of the tunnel, it's really a moment that will remain a hardest of my career as a sailor.

The emotions on the finish line. Infernal ride ?  Did they starve ? Did they throw horses overboard ? A few caipirinhas will make him forget.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

:o Was more thinking about your aunty actually, but must admit that I like your grandma even better!

Aaah some people here with great culture too !

On 11/2/2019 at 4:14 PM, Rainbow Spirit said:

I know we all think of Alex being a cheery soul, but here is what I would imagine will happen when he gets back to the Doyle sail loft.

"I've got that fantastic sail that you guys made for me here, now I did say I wanted something strong enough to sail around the world, but guess what? All we got out of it was a short hop down the channel and wham the tack ripped out! Then we spent ages trying to repair it on board the boat. that was fun, NOT! So all those who worked on that sail please bend over, I want to return the sail."

Just for for a bit of clarification...Photos do tell the story and funny how you have all assumed that the Tack webbing that let go on HB's sail was on a Brand new sail..It was not, and in fact a re-cut one off of the old boat. Arkea and PRB will let the photos show some of what is being done. 

73370668_722111371641226_6697278470432489472_n.jpg

yysw272267.jpg

• Like 1

In Class 40, I love that Ducroz is doing so well (4th place currently). He is a world class skier from Chamonix.  Look him up in YouTube if you want a good scare!

I knew he also sailed, but didn’t realize that he sailed at this level. Very impressive! 

• Like 1

https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/transat-jacques-vabre/transat-jacques-vabre-troussel-s-est-regale-avec-le-cam-11-11-2019-12430327.php

Video also on the link, in French.

Nicolas Troussel was able to appreciate the expertise of Jean Le Cam during this transatlantic race. Nicolas Troussel was able to appreciate the expertise of Jean Le Cam during this transatlantic race. (Photo Jean-Marie Liot)

Of the 13 boats with straight boards Corum are second to finish, Nicolas Troussel and Jean Le Cam were happy with their race except the last three days when they saw the foilers pass them one by one. But the important thing was to get the skipper of "Corum L'Epargne" ready to take charge of his boat whose launch is still scheduled for late February - early March.

"Banque Populiare, they go too fast", said the skipper of "Corum L'Epargne". " We had a nice race until the Doldrums. It's after that it was complicated. We saw all the foilers pass us and it was not easy to warch! So, the last three days have been a bit arduous because it is not very nice to be passed by and be completely powerless. Especially since it was a straight line to the finish so there were no options.

"Jean has a crazy experience"
While his future boat is under construction the deck should be assembled by the end of November and the launch is still scheduled for late February - early March, Troussel learned a lot with Jean Le Cam: " It was great to be there. It's not just the Jacques Vabre experience but the year we have spent with Jean. He has a crazy experience. He has been here for a very long time, he has built boats. He is an outstanding technician. Learning not to make mistakes because the Vendée Globe is long. We must not break anything. Life on board, rhythm ... "

Nicolas Troussel is gradually being immersed in his forthcoming solo race around the world and what was important this year for him was to sail an Imoca while waiting for his future Kouyoumoudjian plan to be ready: "I had two objectives. Finish to check the qualification box for the Vendée Globe: which is done! And make a podium on a boat with straight boards (non foiling)  and that is completed too. I did not think we were going to be 2nd but we made it and sailed very well the course. For the moment, the foilers are unable to go fast downwind. We made the most of the time with the spinnaker and it was very good. But they (the foilers) will find speed and I will learn their secrets when I launch mine.

The skipper intends to be at the forefront of the Vendée. So he said "I knew, with the characteristics of my future boat, what the new foilers are capable of doing and will be able to do. And Jean is also convinced. We have seen them all ... It's impressive. "

He will launch his boat at the beginning of the year: the preparation will be short. Too short ? "I'll know that at the end of the Vendée Globe but obviously you would prefer to have a boat in the water earlier. On the other hand, we made a lot of modifications compared to the foilers that have come out so far. So, there are pluses and minuses ... And then you can be in the water early and, like Thomson, you hit something. The important thing was to be on an Imoca this year. The future will allow me to learn about the high speeds.

• Like 2

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/11/banque-populaire-x-6eme-de-la-jacques-vabre-imoca-cremer-lecleach.html#.XcmP1e3Yo3E

Banque Populaire X 6th, "First non foiling boat and first mixed duo!"

After an explosive first part of the race, the duo managed to keep pace within the leading group of the race, staying for a long time among the top five. A result of making good weather routing decisions and the ability to make the most of the capabilities of their old generation IMOCA, launched 8 years ago.

Clarisse Crémer and Armel Le Cléac'h completed the TJV in 14 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes and 24 seconds, while trying to lift Banque Populaire X into the leading group of the race all throughout. " It could not have been better for a first transatlantic race! "Clarisse said upon arrival. " First non foiling boat, first mixed duo: we checked all the boxes! " says Armel.

" The start was be very technical, it will not be just a race and it was good, " said Armel. The strategy ? take a more direct route to the South rather than bypassing the first depression from the North.

For Clarisse who had never spent so many days in a row at sea aboard this boat, she establishes herself. Gradually, the duo has become very complementary. For her, it is also the first time to cross the Ecuador and face the vagaries of the Doldrums. " It was particularly trying. We are both a little worn out says  Clarisse of the duldrums. But at the same time, no one likes to go boating if he does not get anywhere. "

A boat operated at 100%.  The final approach was more favorable option for "foilers", some of whom overtook BP. " It goes fast but without foils we are a little slower but this was known the data from the outset " confided Armel Le Cléac'h.

In a few days, Clarisse will sail across the Atlantic again solo this time.

Clarisse Crémer: "I do not have too much experience. It was my first transat on an IMOCA and it could not have been better! I have learned tons of things and I am delighted. We have not been idle during the race, we have always been working on the boat. I think that's why we managed to be well positioned. I do not have too much experience but it was great! In the maneuvers, it had become normal for Armel to be at the helm while I took care of the sails. But I'll soon be alone on the boat, I had no interest in letting him do anything! "

Armel Le Cléac'h: "We finished first non-foiler, we are the first mixed duo of the race: we checked all the boxes! The plan was above all to accompany Clarisse before she went solo. She was able to harness the boat's potential. Clarisse has her qualifications to sail alone! (laughs). There were more complicated days but we had a lot of fun, especially during the last hours of the race. We managed to make the most of the potential of this boat which is almost ten years old. From now on I return my job! For Clarisse, a big job begins to participate in the Vendée Globe. But she will manage, I am sure. I trust her ! »

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, jb5 said:

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/11/banque-populaire-x-6eme-de-la-jacques-vabre-imoca-cremer-lecleach.html#.XcmP1e3Yo3E

Banque Populaire X 6th, "First non foiling boat and first mixed duo!"

After an explosive first part of the race, the duo managed to keep pace within the leading group of the race, staying for a long time among the top five. A result of making good weather routing decisions and the ability to make the most of the capabilities of their old generation IMOCA, launched 8 years ago.

Clarisse Crémer and Armel Le Cléac'h completed the TJV in 14 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes and 24 seconds, while trying to lift Banque Populaire X into the leading group of the race all throughout. " It could not have been better for a first transatlantic race! "Clarisse said upon arrival. " First non foiling boat, first mixed duo: we checked all the boxes! " says Armel.

" The start was be very technical, it will not be just a race and it was good, " said Armel. The strategy ? take a more direct route to the South rather than bypassing the first depression from the North.

For Clarisse who had never spent so many days in a row at sea aboard this boat, she establishes herself. Gradually, the duo has become very complementary. For her, it is also the first time to cross the Ecuador and face the vagaries of the Doldrums. " It was particularly trying. We are both a little worn out says  Clarisse of the duldrums. But at the same time, no one likes to go boating if he does not get anywhere. "

A boat operated at 100%.  The final approach was more favorable option for "foilers", some of whom overtook BP. " It goes fast but without foils we are a little slower but this was known the data from the outset " confided Armel Le Cléac'h.

In a few days, Clarisse will sail across the Atlantic again solo this time.

Clarisse Crémer: "I do not have too much experience. It was my first transat on an IMOCA and it could not have been better! I have learned tons of things and I am delighted. We have not been idle during the race, we have always been working on the boat. I think that's why we managed to be well positioned. I do not have too much experience but it was great! In the maneuvers, it had become normal for Armel to be at the helm while I took care of the sails. But I'll soon be alone on the boat, I had no interest in letting him do anything! "

Armel Le Cléac'h: "We finished first non-foiler, we are the first mixed duo of the race: we checked all the boxes! The plan was above all to accompany Clarisse before she went solo. She was able to harness the boat's potential. Clarisse has her qualifications to sail alone! (laughs). There were more complicated days but we had a lot of fun, especially during the last hours of the race. We managed to make the most of the potential of this boat which is almost ten years old. From now on I return my job! For Clarisse, a big job begins to participate in the Vendée Globe. But she will manage, I am sure. I trust her ! »

Remarkable effort. Well done.

20 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Stief, thanks for trying, but that doesn't work, if anything it screws up Android even more. Been a problem for a long time, fuck Apple.

Anyway, Initiatives just finished too, waiting for the video links from you guys, thank you!

PS. It's probably more of a Twitter problem, Facebook video's play badly too, fucking hate them all!

FB:  Gotta love a consistence in you approach to life....bitterness toward the inventor of the smart phone, toward Facebook, toward Twitter.  How dare they make the things they invented work imperfectly and disrupt your life.   

Me, I'm taping this message out on the headset of my landline in Morse Code. Seems to work OK, if you use an old real copper penny to tap with not one of those new mostly zinc ones.  Then I hot wire the earpiece to my dot matrix fax machine for images. 

Ain't technology wonderful!  What's not to like.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

reliable when they don't hit something, which seems to be about every other race

So no appendages then, including keels - since we have more shit in our oceans than ever?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

So no appendages then, including keels - since we have more shit in our oceans than ever?

They probably are hitting stuff a lot of the time just mostly they get away with it and probably won't even notice.

But I don't think anyone broke a foil on the TJV through impact did they? The HB keel yes and Arkea Paprec broke a foil but likely not through impact. More damaged sails than foils or appendages I think. 

Compare that to the Brest Atlantiques with 50% having damaged appendages needing repairs maybe 20% of the way into the race. Higher speed, more mass, bigger impacts, more damage. 

No clue what could be done about it though. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jb5 said:

They probably are hitting stuff a lot of the time just mostly they get away with it and probably won't even notice.

But I don't think anyone broke a foil on the TJV through impact did they? The HB keel yes and Arkea Paprec broke a foil but likely not through impact. More damaged sails than foils or appendages I think. 

Compare that to the Brest Atlantiques with 50% having damaged appendages needing repairs maybe 20% of the way into the race. Higher speed, more mass, bigger impacts, more damage. 

No clue what could be done about it though. 

Just have to bend this enough to foil? :D

image.png.a8b767e515f50934f8d32e0177cd2d1e.png

• Like 2

Ouch.

IMOCA: 13 boats finished – but penalties overturn leaderboard

Thirteen IMOCA have joined the three Multi50 on the pontoons and the other half of the IMOCA fleet will stream in over the next few days in what have been closely fought battles between these boats of different generations stretching back over 20 years. After sailing around 5,000 miles, this has been a finish measured in minutes for all of the boats, with everyone bar the winner Apivia chasing or being chased.

But even on the pontoons the results can change. Bureau Vallée, received a penalty of 1 hour and 30 minutes for breaking an engine seal, and so has been downgraded from eighth to tenth place after apparently winning a hard-fought three-way battle overnight. 

Meanwhile, Advens for Cybersecurity, forgot to round the last mark of the race at the entrance to the Bay of All Saints. The international jury will meet on Tuesday to decide the penalty they will receive, but given the very small gap with America’s 11th Hour Racing(less than 15 minutes) in fifth, Thomas Ruyant and Antoine Koch could lose their fourth place.

As a reminder, PRB, 11th Hour Racing and Newrest Art & Fenêtreswere also penalised by 1 hour and 30 minutes for breaking engine seals, but had made their penalty turns during the race.

https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/en/news/news/2029/harris-reflects-on-risks-and-rewards-as-penalties-overturn-imoca-order

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, mad said:

What’s with 4 boats breaking engine seals?? 

I would guess that they had the boat in gear (to keep the prop from spinning) and the engine got started to charge the batteries. Even just pushing the starter button would break the seals.  PRB probably broke theirs doing the repairs they needed but the same scenario

7 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

I would guess that they had the boat in gear (to keep the prop from spinning) and the engine got started to charge the batteries. Even just pushing the starter button would break the seals.  PRB probably broke theirs doing the repairs they needed but the same scenario

Would seem a more robust system is needed, from both the race committee and participants. 

jb5 linked to some reports back on the page 10 discussion about props seals, and Enright (IIRC) added more details later, but I can't find the link just now. From memory, he said they usually leave the prop in reverse, and just forgot to take it out of gear before starting to charge batteries.

Still, agree that 4 cases seem more than usual. Or the racers are more 'forgetful' this race than usual. 

Just now, stief said:

jb5 linked to some reports back on the page 10 discussion about props seals, and Enright (IIRC) added more details later, but I can't find the link just now. From memory, he said they usually leave the prop in reverse, and just forgot to take it out of gear before starting to charge batteries.

Still, agree that 4 cases seem more than usual. Or the racers are more 'forgetful' this race than usual. 

Seems the level of intensity is much higher, even doublehanded. I suspect fatigue is a big factor in the number of broken seals

1 minute ago, ctutmark said:

Seems the level of intensity is much higher, even doublehanded. I suspect fatigue is a big factor in the number of broken seals

Too, the pairings are new, so unlike the VG, maybe just kinks in their routines and responsiblities  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, yl75 said:

I thought Cyber for something missed the mark but went back for it, not the case ?

Looked for it on playback, but no return before marked as finished. Wishful dreaming that they declare a pit stop, take the time penalty, rush back and  sail the proper course before the IJ has to rule.

566784503_ScreenShot2019-11-11at4_27_23PM.png.a9c0c216ce5825bff530fca4c95fced7.png

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, stief said:

Looked for it on playback, but no return before marked as finished. Wishful dreaming that they declare a pit stop, take the time penalty, rush back and  sail the proper course before the IJ has to rule.

566784503_ScreenShot2019-11-11at4_27_23PM.png.a9c0c216ce5825bff530fca4c95fced7.png

Nice idea, but I’m sure there’s a few rules to stop that??  Anybody more up to date than me on the rules for this? Isn’t there a 24 time penalty applied? 

• Like 1
On 11/10/2019 at 9:38 PM, stief said:

Thanks for the tip. Works on the mac stuff here--laptop, iPad, and phone, so not sure why it doesn't work for others.

Laptop with windows 10 :rolleyes:

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, mad said:

Nice idea, but I’m sure there’s a few rules to stop that??  Anybody more up to date than me on the rules for this? Isn’t there a 24 time penalty applied? 

Isn't it a fundamental part of our sport that you sail the course? Regardless of whether it's a 5 mile beer can race or a premier event,  all marks need to be rounded. I can picture the argument on one of the rorc coastal races "sorry I didn't round that mark,  it was to far out on foul tide, thought I would stick to the shore and take a penalty..."

I know that as this is a professional,  high profile event they probably won't get thrown out,  but they should if they missed a mark of the course. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, stief said:

MeanwhileAdvens for Cybersecurity, forgot to round the last mark of the race at the entrance to the Bay of All Saints. 

I read the SI’s three times for this mark, but I can’t find a mark other than the green buoy which is part of the finish line. Do they mean the south cardinal below the Bank of St Anthony?  That is not in my version of the SI’s FWIW.

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

I read the SI’s three times for this mark, but I can’t find a mark other than the green buoy which is part of the finish line. Do they mean the south cardinal below the Bank of St Anthony?  That is not in my version of the SI’s FWIW.

Not sure--I never got through all the docs. 

Might be avenant-3-aux-instructions-de-course-en , though. 

871181559_ScreenShot2019-11-11at5_39_09PM.png.80beb63ec81cd26af1761f81c257d191.png

Bit belated, but here's the bit from 4 days ago about how Charlie broke his seal:

Our seal broke when we went to charge the batteries. An honest mistake. Traditionally, we lock our prop in reverse, like most people do, so when we started the engine and it was still engaged, we broke the seal. Timing of the “penalty kill” looks to be as good as we could have hoped for, so, off we go, with nothing hanging over us. We're in a much better place than we were 24 hours ago!

https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/en/news/newswire/1788/skipper-s-log-charlie-enright-usa-11th-hour-racing

• Like 1
5 hours ago, stief said:

I was wondering if the buoy at the Bay of All Saints was a mark on the course when they cut the corner. Thanks for posting this. It explains 11th Hr. maneuvers, along with those ahead of them.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Chasm said:

Even if he gets thrown out. Thomas has a new boat for the VG, so not really a problem. Would be hard for one of the others that need the miles.

If he is thrown out (he should be, except if there is a very specific article in the race rule about not sailing the race's course) does he have the qualification for the Vendee Globe allready or was it supposed to be with this race ?

This could very much turn into a desaster !

New boats and previous Vendee finishers automatically get a spot provided they do a complementary 2000 mile qualifying passage in the boat I believe.