Jump to content

Transat Jacque Vabre 2019


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning from Initiatives Coeur! All is good on board! It’s been a great run so far and we have already achieved a new record top speed for the boat - 34.2 knots reaching yesterday! The only pro

Yes owners, and often with outside investors for the value of the cargo. My grandfather re bought his grandfathers cargo boat and kept it in the family for outings. So I could sail before I could sw

Will Harris' explanation of the western option: https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/en/news/newswire/1366/will-harris-britain-co-skipper-malizia-ii-yacht-club-de-monaco

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Dalin can now chase PRB, while Kito is ahead of HB, though in a C40.

Apivia played the start very well and seem the best of the new boats in those conditions

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Apivia played the start very well and seem the best of the new boats in those conditions

Charlie is a pretty smart guy and with the team he's got he likely has things pretty well sorted, as much as time since launch allows. The Verdier boats are a little different than the VPLP ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

very interesting to compare speeds on AIS (as long as they are in reach to the internet). The IMOCAS are around 11-15 and RB3 (Hugo Boss) averaging 2 kts more. We'll find out if it's just a sweet spot or if she can sustain this advantage

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChristianSch said:

very interesting to compare speeds on AIS (as long as they are in reach to the internet). The IMOCAS are around 11-15 and RB3 (Hugo Boss) averaging 2 kts more. We'll find out if it's just a sweet spot or if she can sustain this advantage

he seems to be sustaining it for now....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The nonfoiling/crap foilers won’t be going as far north. HB is validating the aggressive design choices at the moment. 
 

Must be an awful feeling if you’re one of the new builds still in progress/newly launched and finding out HB is having a knot or two avg over Charal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, up from a sleep, and Alex and Neal are sending Hugo Boss like a rocket! I'm surprised how much faster they are than Charal.

Apivia seems to be on par with Charal, so that is another surprise, now to sit down and see how the different routings play out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Wow, up from a sleep, and Alex and Neal are sending Hugo Boss like a rocket! I'm surprised how much faster they are than Charal.

Apivia seems to be on par with Charal, so that is another surprise, now to sit down and see how the different routings play out.

Currently even faster than the multi50’s :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Teaky said:

Replay the race tracker/map and watch HB - holy shit that thing is fast.  Goes past 11th hr like they are standing still.

When they’re comfortably settled in the trades - I’m expecting some sort of ATR uploaded video where they’re both comfortably sitting in the center cockpit trimming sails via camera while absolutely flying. 
 

contrast with other now leapfrogged boats in foul weather gear. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From last mark that they left on port side, near the shore, to where they are now, it is one long starboard downwind leg.

HB was 3 miles behind Charal when it turned the mark. It is now 3 miles in front, in about 106 miles...

Almost 6% faster than Charal  on that leg,; Charal which trained for one full year...

 

Holly Molly; that thing is really fast...

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laurent said:

From last mark that they left on port side, near the shore, to where they are now, it is one long starboard downwind leg.

HB was 3 miles behind Charal when it turned the mark. It is now 3 miles in front, in about 106 miles...

Almost 6% faster than Charal  on that leg,; Charal which trained for one full year...

 

Holly Molly; that thing is really fast...

 

But they also lost 3 miles to charal on a 10 mile beat, so they are 30% slower going to windward...

 

Very little upwind work on a Vendee, but still...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teaky said:

Replay the race tracker/map and watch HB - holy shit that thing is fast.  Goes past 11th hr like they are standing still.

Yep I've replayed it a few times and I think if they don't break shit, they will be hard to beat unless beating..... They appear to be a knot or more quicker now every time i look.....impressive 

Upwind they weren't so much slow but had no height at all compared to others around them like Charal ... in fact they appeared to be sailing lower than everyone.

Makes sense really... you can't have it all.... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Maybe they are looking for flat water under  England to foil faster :) looking for an upper.

Or maybe looking for flat Fiji water under the lee of Old Albion?

 

42 minutes ago, james3232 said:

Boats only built for going downhill

Yep, downhill in the Southern Ocean swell.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does Alex always have to be the most extreme boat when it comes to his course and weather routing? So his position now as we speak is either the biggest risk or the biggest gain depending on the outcome? If you build the fastest boat it would make sense to stay with the fleet so you can use you boat speed as an advantage IMO. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Why does Alex always have to be the most extreme boat when it comes to his course and weather routing? So his position now as we speak is either the biggest risk or the biggest gain depending on the outcome? If you build the fastest boat it would make sense to stay with the fleet so you can use you boat speed as an advantage IMO. 

Every boat and every skipper has their own polars developed from their own habits and choices. It’ll be a mistake to change that during boat development phase. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Every boat and every skipper has their own polars developed from their own habits and choices. It’ll be a mistake to change that during boat development phase. 

That doesn't address him always being the most extreme or separated boat? It is purely his tactical choice and that's what I am questioning?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Advens for Cybersecurity with Thomas Ruyant and Antoine Koch has some autopilot cylinders issue and will stop in Cherbourg. According to the rules, they have to stay put for 4 hours.

That's a real bummer.... they looked to be going very well early upwind compared to the others with foils

Link to post
Share on other sites

Geovoile/hb tracker still has some foils wrong : foils on BP, no foils on Advens.

As to Alex, at this point I guess he has made his decision to West (that low really isn't moving fast), so his option isn't that extreme then.

But the multi 50 look like heading east of the Ushant TSS

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Alex is a radical type of person, so it stands to reason that he will often take a radical course decision, it runs in his blood.

Out in front last go-around, he took a runner then too - and did not recover until he took a shortcut, through the Cape Verde Islands. Let's hope he doesn't have a brain fart this time around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

That doesn't address him always being the most extreme or separated boat? It is purely his tactical choice and that's what I am questioning?

He’s always been diff. He jumped into imoca as an inexperienced foreign skipper and worked his way to legitimacy. Used to be the butt of jokes re always breaking his boat. He’s matured over the years and dialed his aggressiveness back. 
 

will always be a bit different than the folks who came out of class 40 or figaro circuits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a great call by HB though, the fleet are getting headed and HB is lowest, fastest and with more pressure.  Exclusion zone could be interesting though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed but he smoked them all in the same conditions. 

Looking at fast track to Cap Fin, stay left for the progressive header  

And don’t even look at the long term forecast:  Beat all the way to the equator.  We’ll get to see just how 

compromised the weather performance is  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex and Neal now into 2nd spot and still sending it. No doubt they'll stay outside, Ushant.

Will Charal go outside to cover HB? Lateral separation now about 8.5nm.

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 7.47.25 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

HB now in front.

 

Yes looks like I have to eat my words questioning his earlier separation. Off course now we don't know if it's boat speed or angle/conditions? But we know now what we all suspected, he will be fast.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GibGibGib said:

His old rival Roland Jourdain is on Maitre Coq with Yannick Bestaven! 2 dinosaurs at the start

Rolland is not fully active in competition.

He takes care of his structure and appears as a high value guest sometimes.

Jean is still doing quite every major races, still has his own boat.

No that's really the last of the activ dinausors !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yes looks like I have to eat my words questioning his earlier separation. Off course now we don't know if it's boat speed or angle/conditions? But we know now what we all suspected, he will be fast.

Great question though mate, why take risks when you have a faster boat?  Probably comes down to conviction and the fear that someone else will do it if you don’t, eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

HB showing a very large lose of speed on the trackers, down from 20+ to 15kts, I hope all is well.

Has he broken it already?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

HB showing a very large lose of speed on the trackers, down from 20+ to 15kts, I hope all is well.

It's even worse, the speed over 4 hours (through the geovoile/HB tracker) is 3.8 knts :(

There must be a problem

edit : but then Charal has 5,6 knts over 4 hours, (and 24,5 instantaneous or 5 mn) not sure what is going on there..

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kdock44 said:

the Lipinski / Credit Mutuel boat going well north of the rest of the fleet. Fascinating racing

im cheering on Lipinski in C40

my boat is on same route as him on Virtual Regatta. According to Zezo routing, northern route is faster. Though in reality most take southern route due safety.

Are they Mutuel brave enough to risk northern route in "unproven" boat though scow is benefited in such weather conditions?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

During the trip frim UK to France, all the crew onboard HB (except Alex) has been sick due to very excessive temperature in the boat.

They hadded 2 fans inside to deal with that.

But it was October in Europe ! Gonna be nasty after canary islands !

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pity for Berry, though I loved the headline on theVabre sit;

British leader dismasts 

- Dismasting of the Class40 Lamotte - Module Creationon the Transat Jacques Vabre

Thought for a second it was HB.
-----------------

So it is now that 20 knots feels slow ?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, popo said:

I'm impressed by Seguin/Richome's perf with a daggerboards boat !

Yeah, I feel like we're saying the same thing every race, but it's true. They are currently 3rd with an old non foiler, not known to be a great boat. It's the sister ship of Time For Oceans, who is running in 17th far away from the leading pack. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to know why HB has slowed down, all we can do is guess the reason/s. Considering the weather conditions are relatively benign at the moment, can we rule out foil damage? Does the HB group have a media center that feeds out info?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex been over taken by his old boat..! It was always a possibility. It's now a reality. Waiting to hear as to why Alex slowed down. But having said that this is a trial of sorts for all the new boats and Charal with most time on the water is a no surprise leader. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

It would be nice to know why HB has slowed down, all we can do is guess the reason/s. Considering the weather conditions are relatively benign at the moment, can we rule out foil damage? Does the HB group have a media center that feeds out info?

Even if the case, they wouldn't say anything

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites