Just purchased a 1980 CL 16 # 1687 and am having a hell of a time trying to connect with cl boatworks. Tried their email for parts, nothing; phone is no longer in service so I tried calling Velocity and nothing from them. I spoke with a gentleman at a rigging and boat shop in Michigan and he seemed quite positive that they are out of business. Anyone know for sure? It will be a real shame if true. Thanks, Bill

I have tried to contact the new owner, Geoff Martin, who tòok over in 2018 but have had no luck.  Be careful of sending any deposits as a few people have had a hard time getting their order filled or their money back.

I've got a CL16 as well, was recently talking to the previous owner and it seems nobody has been able to get a hold of Geoff Martin. Lots of deposits for new boat orders and deposits for parts that aren't getting completed. To bad really, its a great boat. Very simply rigged compared to most newer boats these days, just a great all around boat to get on the water, wish I could get some more out here in the Maritimes.

1 hour ago, spankoka said:

Plenty of Wayfarer parts should work in the CL16, but as I understand it the centreboard does not. Proctor apparently made some changes for the CL16 design. 

I think most parts are pretty similar, I just made a new centreboard for CL16. I just used hardware store 3/4 ply and put a layer of glass on it, and painted. I think originally they were 13 ply  mahogany marine plywood with a epoxy based paint. We'll see how mine holds up I guess.

5 hours ago, spankoka said:

It will work because I did the same for my brother's CL16 about five years ago and his centreboard is still going. BTW, I'm in the Shediac area when not in Van.    

Awesome, good to hear ! I'm not to far away, just in the Charlottetown area over on PEI. 

Just bought a mast from Geoff at CL so he's still in business.  He seems to be checking his CL Boatworks Facebook messenger on a regular basis, so that may be your best bet to reach him.

Thanks to all that have replied. I have tried direct email but not through facebook so that will be my next try. The spacers on my boats rudder mounts had totally rotted away, so I measured the distance between the mounting face and the transom as the mounting bolts were still intact. The top mount with the hole measured 1/2" and the bottom with the pin was 3/4". I made new mounts out of mahogany and reattached them . The rudder will now attach but is somewhat tight to go on. It appears that the distance of the top hole and lower pin should be a 1/4" further out on the bottom to be in perfect alignment. Does anyone on here possibly have a CL16 that they could check against? Thanks, Bill

On 8/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, barnicle bill said:

Thanks to all that have replied. I have tried direct email but not through facebook so that will be my next try. The spacers on my boats rudder mounts had totally rotted away, so I measured the distance between the mounting face and the transom as the mounting bolts were still intact. The top mount with the hole measured 1/2" and the bottom with the pin was 3/4". I made new mounts out of mahogany and reattached them . The rudder will now attach but is somewhat tight to go on. It appears that the distance of the top hole and lower pin should be a 1/4" further out on the bottom to be in perfect alignment. Does anyone on here possibly have a CL16 that they could check against? Thanks, Bill

Hey Bill, I can check when I get home this evening. I have one spare thats made of poly its 3/4" thick if I remember right.

For anyone interested google craigslist desmoines iowa for a red CL16....I talked to the owner....nice looking sailboat...they repainted and has a lot of orange peel ...otherwise a good deal for $1600....I don't know these sailboats juat passing along a potential lead for someone...

• 1 year later...

Hey.

@barnicle bill; @tannerri @kurio99

I just got #1567 here in Saskatchewan.  It's in pretty good shape, has a furling jib.  The rudder looks like it was shaped out of cedar, is this original?  asking for a quote from Phil's Foils!!!

have yet to rig it yet, today is crappy weather but this week.  ice should be off lakes near me so we'll give it a whirl.

looks like this boat is rigged with the main sheet running directly off the traveller not run down the mast to block/cleat on the thwart.  Looking forward to it.

hope some of you are still active as I will probably have questions!