@yl75

Just from knowing how hard he has had to work to keep HB on board with only having to pay running costs. The running costs for an IMOCA Ocean Race team are going to be a magnitude higher. 

Success in the VG had never been the reason for HBs sponsorship. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Screw work. I'd rather crack a cold one, sit out on the deck and finish this post. Gosh, and it is not even 4:20. Before moving to AT, I like Nicolas Andrieu's (Team Charal) quote in Seahorse Mag

Clac-clac-clac... JEAN LE CAM WANTS TO GO AGAIN AND IS MENTORING YOUTH PROGRAMMES Fourth in the last Vendée Globe, Jean Le Cam's ambition is to set off again on a sixth consecutive Vendée Gl

Very interesting interview by Voiles et Voiliers (the mainstream sailing magazine in France): as usual Michel Desjoyeaux has very strong opinions and he is not afraid to put them out there! So he

Posted Images

On 10/8/2020 at 3:52 PM, Haji said:

Yes, it does seem a bit silly.  OTOH, think of what this level of $ does for a great number of folks in the boating biz.  And, getting a billionaire's $ into the IMOCA game gets us one step closer to someday actually have a seriously funded US Vendee Globe program.  It's too late for me of course (too old and on to other things), however it sure would be nice to see it happen someday.

Considering American Magic is done, they certainly could have used most of those folks to build a new boat, yay American IMOCA.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Haligonian Winterr said:

Reduces size and weight of stringers, and increases stiffness in a monolithic panels. Same technique used on the Comanche forward of the keel.

HW

Was also in the previous Hugo Boss and a bunch of other IMOCAs that predate Comanche. Lots of discussion last time around about it.

My outside view on this, is that Alex and ATR have pushed and are still pushing the boundaries of what ocean racing is and what it takes and means to win. Technology, design, complete and utter focus and not caring (much) what the others are doing. The fact that there are other competitors in the race may not matter to him - he will push every button, watch the numbers and sail to the numbers only. It is fascinating to observe this mind-set. I am sure the others are going down that path, but I dont see it as much as ATR are doing. As someone else has said, it is like an AC campaign - but with just one person. I will be glued to the tracker for sure come race day

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ttc546 said:

My outside view on this, is that Alex and ATR have pushed and are still pushing the boundaries of what ocean racing is and what it takes and means to win. Technology, design, complete and utter focus and not caring (much) what the others are doing. The fact that there are other competitors in the race may not matter to him - he will push every button, watch the numbers and sail to the numbers only. It is fascinating to observe this mind-set. I am sure the others are going down that path, but I dont see it as much as ATR are doing. As someone else has said, it is like an AC campaign - but with just one person. I will be glued to the tracker for sure come race day

No matter what happens in the VG - I hope Alex remains involved in IMOCA in some capacity even if he's not racing anymore. He's been part of the skippers that pushed the class forward and brought a diff international presence to imoca that I feel won't be properly acknowledged and missed until he's gone.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Potter said:

Only if there is more than one team... 

One team with two boats can do a great job talking about sustainability while two Americans talk about how important it is to be green while burning money and pretending covid doesn’t exist. 

2 hours ago, Potter said:

Only if there is more than one team... 

12 teams are already in 2 years before start even if you consider that nobody else will take part and a third of those 12 don't make it to the start, that is still enough boats to make an interesting race. IMHO after the VG, new teams will find sponsorship. The dynamic is much better than it was before previous VOR.

https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/teams.html

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, sailseaplymouth said:

11th Hour seemed to set off on their transatlantic with no port foil, anyone know why or what happened to it?

549F9446-3EF6-4CA0-A153-4B6C0E645E5B.jpeg

They had been trying a new design for the port foil that differed quite a bit. Foils are expensive and heavy bits of kit (around €600-700k) and they will have worked out that most of their routing will have shown them sailing on a port gybe/tack so why carry unnecessary weight onboard   

50 minutes ago, JL92S said:

They had been trying a new design for the port foil that differed quite a bit. Foils are expensive and heavy bits of kit (around €600-700k) and they will have worked out that most of their routing will have shown them sailing on a port gybe/tack so why carry unnecessary weight onboard   

But what useful data collection can you get from sailing with reduced RM, weight etc? Seems an odd choice.

• 1 month later...

Finished work for the holidays, grabbed a beer and my phone and stumbled upon this when shopping for xmas gifts...

Fairly in-depth article about L'Occitane from North Sails. Some pretty cool photos in Boat News too.

For the racing they do, I really like how Manuard sacrificed LWL in order to implement more of a scow than all others. And given the issue with foils colliding with UFOs and the like, the high exit of the foils is brilliant. Much more survivable if a collision should occur. Lots of original thinking in this design.

Nice work.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Essex said:

Wondering if we will see something closer to AC style foil systems in imocas. Not the T profile but a high or even deck level "hinge" so you can swing one or both right up out of water when preferable.

Might need a change to class rules, so maybe in 8 years.

...the class has opened up the measurement regarding how to trim the foils. As such, they have greater freedom of movement (up and down & fore and aft), stimulating the architects’ creativity all the more.

Class-rules

2021 class rules in English can be downloaded here.

Edit, from 2021 rules:

FOIL

(a) A foil shall be retractable and shall use only one degree of freedom for this movement.

(b) It is expressly permitted a second degree of freedom to a foil if a set of two bearings are used to guide this appendage [See E.4 (a)].

(i) One of these two bearings shall not be trimmed and positioned in close proximity of the hull 
shell.

(ii) It is expressly permitted to have a degree of freedom for the other bearing. If it exists this degree 
of freedom shall be a translation type and shall limit the foil’s rotation to an angle of 5 degrees.

(iii) This angle is measured at the non-trimmed bearing positioned in close proximity of the hull 
shell.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Two boats.

Team Unveils 2021 Two-Boat Racing Schedule

By 11thhourracingteam

Posted January 21, 2021

Photo by Yvan Zedda / Azimut Challenge

Big news – we’ve unveiled our racing schedule for 2021, with not one, but two boats! 

COVID-19 dependent, we’re hoping to compete in four races this year:

The Ocean Race Europe: A four-week tour around the continent in May through mid June, with two Classes – the IMOCA 60s and VO65s.

The Rolex Fastnet: With a start on Sunday, August 8 from the home of British yacht racing, Cowes on the Isle of Wight. The fleet will head around the Fastnet Rock, south of Ireland, before finishing for the first time in Cherbourg, France.

The Défi Azimut: A 48-hour long offshore race, coupled with a short dash around the island of Groix off the Brittany coast in France. The race takes place in September.

The Transat Jacques Vabre: The legendary race from Le Havre, France across the Atlantic, kicking off on October 24. Our skipper, Charlie Enright, came fourth in 2019 with Pascal Bidégorry.

Mark Towill, our Team CEO, explains more: “Our immersion into the offshore IMOCA world continues for 2021. As of now, the plan is to be training and racing with two boats this year, dependent on the boat build schedule and any impacts related to COVID-19.”

“With the start of The Ocean Race delayed by one year, we’re taking the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the heart of the offshore sailing world, being based in France for longer periods. Our racing in 2021 will be focused on short-handed sailing, to maximize opportunities to line-up against other IMOCA teams. I’m really pleased to announce that Justine Mettraux (SUI) will be joining the team as the co-skipper, alongside Simon Fisher (GBR) onboard 11.1 – the former Hugo Boss 6.

“Charlie [Enright] (USA) will be paired once again with Pascal Bidégorry (FRA), and they will be focusing their training on our new IMOCA 60, which is set to launch in July. Depending on the final stages of the build and commissioning, we anticipate entering both boats in the Rolex Fastnet Race, Défi Azimut and The Transat Jacques Vabre.”

The build of the new IMOCA 60 is on schedule thanks to the careful management by MerConcept and CDK, overseen by our Build Manager, Wade Morgan (AUS). In addition, our Team Sustainability Manager, Damian Foxall (IRE) was based in France for a number of weeks at the end of last year, overseeing the sustainability innovations, practices and implementation.

Rob MacMillan, Co-founder and President of team sponsor, 11th Hour Racing, commented: “We are proud of the work that the team as a whole has achieved, both from a competitive and environmental perspective, with performance and sustainability integrating seamlessly. The prospect of launching a new IMOCA 60 and having two equally talented teams training and racing later in the year on the international offshore circuit is incredibly energizing. As an organization and a sponsor dedicated to inspiring solutions for the ocean, 2021 sets a remarkable milestone that merges a decade of impact achieved through our work with a new decade for the ocean fueled by global collaborations.”

What’s first on the agenda?

Wade is now onsite in Port La Forêt as the process of bringing the hull and deck together begins. The whole team is brimming with a mixture of nerves and excitement, as we wait for the decisions we made over 18 months ago to come good. 

COVID-dependant, we aim to be in France late-February to see the build progress ourselves – it can’t come soon enough.

Co-skipper quotes:

Charlie Enright: “We are all itching to get back out on the water again after this justifiably-enforced period of shore leave. The work has been relentless, and there have been plenty of late night and early morning trans-Atlantic calls and meetings with the team in France overseeing the boat build. It’s progressing well and I’m looking forward to seeing it in person in February. My first experience of racing with Pascal was in the build up to the 2019 Transat Jacques Vabre when we finished fourth. To be sailing alongside someone so experienced is a great way to learn. I’m looking forward to getting back out on the water with him again this year.”

Pascal Bidégorry: “It’s great to be back with 11th Hour Racing Team and a pleasure to be sailing with Charlie once again – and in the Anglo-Saxon way of doing things! It’s exciting to be part of this project, particularly being involved with my old friends at MerConcept and how we are approaching the technical challenges and sustainability opportunities around the build of the new boat. It will be a busy period in the build-up to the Transat Jacques Vabre and one I’m really looking forward to.”

Justine Mettraux: “I’m really looking forward to joining the team – it’s a great opportunity for me, not only to be sailing on a current IMOCA 60 but a new edition boat as well. Partnering with SiFi is something I’m really happy about – it’s going to be a good mix. I have more experience of short-handed sailing, but he has a lot of experience in The Ocean Race and is one of the best navigators there is, as well as a great sailor. I’m looking forward to getting to work.”

Simon Fisher: “Double-handed sailing will be a new challenge for me and one I’m really excited for. It’s something I have always wanted to do but never quite managed to make happen so it’s great to finally get the opportunity. It’s going to be a steep learning curve – I spoke to Charlie after his first double-handed race in the Transat Jacques Vabre [in 2019] and he said it was the hardest thing he had ever done! Being just two of us onboard, it ramps the responsibility up, but I am looking forward to the challenge. I just hope I do as well as I would like to do. Sailing with Justine is great, she is unflappable, calm and of course very experienced – I’m going to be learning loads and I couldn’t be happier to be paired with her.”

2021 Team Schedule:

February-March: Full team training in Port La Forêt, France

May-June: The Ocean Race Europe

July: Launch and commissioning of new IMOCA 60

August: Rolex Fastnet

September: Azimut Challenge

October: Transat Jacques Vabre

https://11thhourracingteam.org/team-unveils-2021-two-boat-racing-schedule/

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Alex is back on the water in Hugo Boss, training for the Fastnet Race.

A couple of new rudders and a thorough boat inspection apparently.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Alex is back on the water in Hugo Boss, training for the Fastnet Race.

A couple of new rudders and a thorough boat inspection apparently.

Haha--"Who is that Black Masked Man?"

Almost sorry that I'll miss much of the next few months, since I expect to be launched  in the next few days. Darn! Alex beat me to it ;)  

Pip Hare, along with her sponsor, Medallia have secured Louis Burton's, Bureau Vallée 2 (which he sailed to third place in the recent VG. A quick boat.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=20210517-La-NL-hebdo_-_EN

image-c-546-270.jpg

• Like 5
On 5/17/2021 at 7:21 PM, Sailbydate said:

Pip Hare, along with her sponsor, Medallia have secured Louis Burton's, Bureau Vallée 2 (which he sailed to third place in the recent VG. A quick boat.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=20210517-La-NL-hebdo_-_EN

Program plans

we might possibly do the Transat Jacques Vabre, maybe, but the most important thing is that I get myself to be super confident, super comfortable sailing this new boat and then as of 2022 I will be doing the IMOCA Globe Series, I want to try and do some UK offshore events to support the UK circuits a bit, I might be a lone wolf, but I don’t want to have a great boat and then just disappear off to France! A Round Britain record would be fun and it is Round Britain & Ireland race next year, so there are some fun things to do out there as well.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/22399/pip-hare-has-a-new-medallia-which-will-take-her-to-the-2024-vendee-globe

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Kevin is getting a new Verdier boat for the 2024 VG, built in the UK :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/imoca-kevin-escoffier-sera-au-depart-du-vendee-globe-2024-avec-un-nouveau-bateau-a-foils-7ae06c98-c169-11eb-a7d3-0be2950704aa

Carrington shipyard I suppose ? The article doesn't say.

Target launch date : April 2022

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Kevin is getting a new Verdier boat for the 2024 VG, built in the UK :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/imoca-kevin-escoffier-sera-au-depart-du-vendee-globe-2024-avec-un-nouveau-bateau-a-foils-7ae06c98-c169-11eb-a7d3-0be2950704aa

Carrington shipyard I suppose ? The article doesn't say.

Target launch date : April 2022

Carrington did have one to sell didn't they? a half completed TOR project?

Edit: The article (as translated) now says:

The hull, which was originally produced for an Ocean Race project, is currently being built in England at Jason Carrington's shipyard. Made on a Verdier plan, it will be repatriated to France at the end of November. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Carrington did have one to sell didn't they? a half completed TOR project?

Edit: The article (as translated) now says:

Strange, almost sure it was not there when I read it (but maybe went too quickly), do we know for which project it was ?

11 hours ago, yl75 said:

Strange, almost sure it was not there when I read it (but maybe went too quickly), do we know for which project it was ?

It was going to be a new project backed by the owner of the Wally Cento Galateia for some of the sailors on that race crew which included Simon Fisher- I think it was referred to as Team Slipstream for a while. 

12 hours ago, JonRowe said:

The hull, which was originally produced for an Ocean Race project, is currently being built in England at Jason Carrington's shipyard. Made on a Verdier plan, it will be repatriated to France at the end of November.

This phrasing suggests that Carrington are back working on the hull - I wonder how far the build will progress there before it heads back to France? Full fit-out or bare hull with systems installed across the channel??

Pretty sure this from the same 'Super 60' drawings from Verdier as APIVIA and LinkedOut

56 minutes ago, NZK said:

It was going to be a new project backed by the owner of the Wally Cento Galateia for some of the sailors on that race crew which included Simon Fisher- I think it was referred to as Team Slipstream for a while. 

This phrasing suggests that Carrington are back working on the hull - I wonder how far the build will progress there before it heads back to France? Full fit-out or bare hull with systems installed across the channel??

Pretty sure this from the same 'Super 60' drawings from Verdier as APIVIA and LinkedOut

If I'd snipped a bit more of the translation: 

Made on a Verdier plan, it will be repatriated to France at the end of November. The boat will then be finished in Lorient where Kevin Escoffier now intends to set up his team. The launch is scheduled for the end of March 2022

Which says to me, "the hull will be finished" and then it will be fitted out in Lorient.

• Like 2

«Good evening everyone,
My Imoca heeled this afternoon shortly after the Trinity Channel exit as we were preparing to navigate with a media on the eve of our Tour de France Microplastiques. A cameraman and three members of my team were slightly injured and transferred to the ER without their condition being concerned tonight. Wishing them a very good recovery. I am obviously psychologically marked because this accident occurred on my responsibility to skipper. The boat is back at the dock and will be out of the water tomorrow for inspection and damage estimate.
We keep you informed.
Good evening,
Fabrice Amedeo»

from Facebook translate. (I don’t read french)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KMBB said:

My Imoca heeled this afternoon... 

from Facebook translate. (I don’t read french)

Just "heeled over" is indeed what he says, but a bit strange that it would injure his three crew (as well as the cameraman.

My guess is that it involved a boom boom, but still strange that it would necessitate a haul out.

Hoping they are indeed all well, and waiting for more info when he has psychologically recovered.

Ok so they grounded exiting the harbour, article does not say at what speed, 8 people on board, 5 got injured, one quite seriously, also water ingress in the hull, so I guess he fucked up the keel junction quite a bit.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Ok so they grounded

Ok, so "talonne" is in fact a euphemism for grounding, thanks.

Grounding at anything over 5kn can be lethal, especially when it is a rock. Have tried it myself up to 12kn, and cannot recommend it!

Hugo Boss got away with it, many memorable others did not.

11 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Ok, so "talonne" is in fact a euphemism for grounding, thanks.

Grounding at anything over 5kn can be lethal, especially when it is a rock. Have tried it myself up to 12kn, and cannot recommend it!

Hugo Boss got away with it, many memorable others did not.

Not an euphemism, it means hitting the ground just like grounding. The verb is "talonner".

Another article :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/60-pieds/imoca/talonnage-de-l-imoca-de-fabrice-amedeo-a-la-trinite-sur-mer-tous-les-blesses-ont-quitte-l-hopital-c99083c6-c2ba-11eb-a65e-374cff38a16b

It says the bulb is quite fucked up also (the pic is from when it went back in the water).

But everybody out of hospital now.

The article does not say anything about the speed (and Fabrice says he doesn't want to say more at this point)

• Like 1

By the way, now I understand the confusion :) :

It à Facebook automatic translation issue. The original fb msg said "heeling" auto translated, which is more or less the literal translation of "talonné", as talon is heel in French (the body part). Whereas heeling (the sailing term) is "giter" in French. 

And "talonner" is literally grounding, in marine context. 

As I read only the fb auto translate msg here, was also surprised (thought of some kind of huge heeling stunt à la Alex), and didn't look at fb in French .

And indeed the initial FB post of Fabrice says that they have "grounded" (that is tallonné), and not "heeled" ;):

Fabrice Amedeo

1itSdlponsiore5hdh  · 

Bonsoir à tous,

Mon Imoca a talonné cet après-midi peu après la sortie du chenal de la Trinité alors que nous nous apprêtions à réaliser une navigation avec un média à la veille du départ de notre Tour de France Microplastiques. Un cameraman et trois membres de mon équipe ont été légèrement blessés et ont été transférés aux urgences sans que leur état ne suscite ce soir d’inquiétude. Je leur souhaite un très bon rétablissement. Je suis bien évidemment marqué psychologiquement car cet accident est survenu sous ma responsabilité de skipper. Le bateau est de retour à quai et sera sorti de l’eau dès demain pour une inspection et une estimation des dégâts.

Nous vous tenons informés.

Bonne soirée,

Fabrice

https://www.facebook.com/FabriceAmedeoNavigateur

Quite funny these automatic translations "side effects" ;)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

What's going on with Corum? is it still IMOCA single handed or is it on this The Ocean Race malarkey?

You'll be the judge of that, mister. They surely seems to enjoying them selfs "on this The Ocean Race malarkey" and they are winning, too. 

I'd be absolutely amazed if Corum sign up for The Ocean Race. The Route du Rhum is as much unfinished business as the Vendee Globe is for Nico and the company are the most French of French companies! 

• 3 weeks later...

Something interesting on Apivia

https://www.scanvoile.com/2021/06/secrets-etrave-apivia-imoca-charlie-dalin.html#.YNCyIbHYqbg

Focus on the bottom of the hull of APIVIA, Charlie Dalin's IMOCA second in the Vendée Globe

When it was launched in 2019, APIVIA displayed certain biases. In particular its hull is both light and powerful. Baptiste Chardon, engineer of the team, reveals the secrets of the bottom of the hull of APIVIA.

Strength and weight controlled
On the latest generation IMOCAs, the hull is always made of carbon. However, a debate exists between two schools. The first option is to make a monolithic hull, that is to say made of 100% carbon, " which is more resistant to impacts but also much heavier " explains Baptiste. The second option is what is called the sandwich structure, " that is to say that we superimpose a first layer of carbon, foam or honeycomb and again carbon ", which allows to considerably lighten the boat, and therefore to gain speed.

This choice is far from trivial. “ During this Vendée Globe, as the boats are starting to fly, the impacts are greater than before on the bottom of the hulls. As a result, there were a lot of delamination problems (the action by which different layers of carbon detach from each other) on the sandwich hulls, especially on those made with honeycomb. So much so that for the next IMOCA gauge in 2024, the hull area which is below the waterline and 20 cm above will necessarily be foam, and not honeycomb. It will certainly reduce the difference in weight between the sandwich and the full monolithic. This is an important variable because the weight delta between a full carbon hull bottom and a sandwich bottom hull can be up to 80 kg.

For APIVIA, the design office has chosen to combine the two methods. The areas receiving the most impacts are monolithic; the rest is in a sandwich. A choice of Norman which ensures both strength and a controlled weight.

The design of APIVIA was a team effort, with the conductor Guillaume Verdier, the naval architect from Vannes who has proven himself more than once. Charlie Dalin was not left out either. 

“ By working with Guillaume Verdier, we left the hull of the VO 60, the one-design project for The Ocean Race 2022-2023. Guillaume worked on this boat for 2 years, so he really pushed the subject. As a result, it's a more crew-like hull. We therefore redid studies to adapt it to solo sailing, ”says Baptiste. 

To change the plans of the boat, the team used a CFD supercomputer. “ When we do a study, we cannot do calculations for the billions of possible configurations, it would take decades. So we simplify. We make several drawings of hulls for which we choose four study points. For example, a close-hauled case in strong wind with a heel  of 17 °, a case of reaching at 20-25 knots of speed etc ... Then we pass the drawings into the calculation and we look at the results of drag, for example, on the points defined… and we choose the best option! "

On one side we find the very rounded hulls like that of Charal, and on the other the rectangular hulls like that of Arkea-Paprec or Corum. And this is a very strategic choice.

To fully understand the difference between these two types of hulls, Baptiste reminded us of two or three principles of physics: " Archimedes' tells us that the volume that is submerged is equal to the weight of the boat ". In short, the larger the part of the hull in contact with the water, the heavier the boat will be, and therefore the slower it will be once in motion. "A boat like Charal, for example, is really very rounded when viewed from behind. As a result, when it is flat, there is very little submerged surface, and therefore less drag. However, regardless of the heel, it will always have the same wet surface. Conversely, with a rectangular hull, the submerged surface is very important when you are flat, so it will work less well in this arrangement. However, there is a time when at a certain heel angle you will have less wet surface. Your righting angle will be much greater, and you will have more power. "

The hull of our IMOCA is a bit of a cross of the two options. The design office having sought above all to design the most versatile boat possible.

Assessment after 3 months of Vendée Globe “ Overall, we are satisfied with the result! », Baptiste confides. The fact of shortening the bow a little before the Vendée Globe in particular, had made it possible to hit the waves slightly less. But the hulls of future generations will certainly continue to round off the angles, and in particular those of the rear of the boat, to limit the impacts amplified by the foils.

But even though Charlie and the team drew conclusions from this round the world trip, the hull remains a part of the boat that is difficult to change. “ Last year, when we made a bow modification, we did it over 2.5 meters. And already, 2.5 meters to modify was 2 months of work. So, if we decide, for example, to cut 8 meters of bow, it will take at least 6 months of work. This involves machining a new part, cutting the hull, re-grafting the part, replacing the partitions inside the boat ... It is for this reason that it is often necessary to wait for the arrival of a new generation of monohulls to see drastic changes appear. 

Source: Apivia

• Like 3

There are 14 Imoca 60's competing in the up and coming Fastnet Race but I notice there are 2 entries for 11th Hour Racing? Charlie Enright USA112 (Grey) and Simon Fisher USA2300 (Black). So I presume they are racing their new boat which will be interesting to see? New vs Old along with 12 other IMOCA boats

• Like 2
3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

There are 14 Imoca 60's competing in the up and coming Fastnet Race but I notice there are 2 entries for 11th Hour Racing? Charlie Enright USA112 (Grey) and Simon Fisher USA2300 (Black). So I presume they are racing their new boat which will be interesting to see? New vs Old along with 12 other IMOCA boats

I read they intended to use both boats with a Charlie / SiFi split for a bunch of shorthanded racing too, TJV etc 

7 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Hope they have a spare foil, or can get a build started quickly. Short notice to build new ones between now and the start.

On 6/23/2021 at 8:56 AM, JonRowe said:

I read they intended to use both boats with a Charlie / SiFi split for a bunch of shorthanded racing too, TJV etc 

Is there a launch date for this new boat ? Any construction pics or 3D renderings have been released ?

2 hours ago, yl75 said:

Is there a launch date for this new boat ? Any construction pics or 3D renderings have been released ?

They state "July" here:

https://www.11thhourracingteam.org/about/the-boats/imoca-60-11-2/

There are some videos with 3D renderings and the boat being constructed at CDK in the background, with some stuff about carbon vs flax etc but I don't recall seeing a 3D render of the outside worthy of yellow lines.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 10:15 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

New to me, and certainly good news for the TOR, if he can find some more money!

From that interview it sounds like his focus is the single/double handed IMOCA circuit with TOR as a bonus if he can find extra cash - I guess his main sponsors didn't consider it a priority....

• Like 2
19 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Anyone know what happened to 11th Hour Racing's 2 boats competing in the Fastnet? There is only one listed now skippered by Simon Fisher Sail No 2300..?

I'm going to assume the new boat is delayed coming out of the shed. There's been very little mention of it on their social media, IIRC the anticipated launch date was about now, maybe a little earlier, but it always seemed a very tight window between launch and the Fastnet. 

The old boat is sold so this Fastnet is probably it's last outing as 11th Hour.

• Like 1

The Class 40 and the Imoca's will be fascinating in the Fastnet. Can Hugo Boss deliver a win? Or will it be one of the other big name teams? The race is one I am looking forward to and to see the new Skorpios racing for the 1st time.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:33 AM, NZK said:

I'm going to assume the new boat is delayed coming out of the shed. There's been very little mention of it on their social media, IIRC the anticipated launch date was about now, maybe a little earlier, but it always seemed a very tight window between launch and the Fastnet. 

The old boat is sold so this Fastnet is probably it's last outing as 11th Hour.

There was a recent ig update. Looks like the old boat will change owner after the TJV 

On 7/14/2021 at 10:07 AM, jonas a said:

quite interesting interview with JK

jesus, almost makes you wonder if the foils on these things are significantly more trouble than they're worth. what a chinese puzzle with no rudder elevators.

btw, anyone seen anything from the poster who calls himself Mad? 

18 hours ago, JL92S said:

4D3CB3BE-6CEF-4F2B-A78B-53B46552E9EC.thumb.jpeg.4945003830e1559ee11295642e324829.jpeg4B26D8C8-0497-4B95-895F-90BEE31880AB.thumb.jpeg.9a7ab7578436e6d652442d6a5254b93b.jpeg

Looks like a weapon. Hows that for a chine? And the cabin looks a bit like Hugo Boss.? Also that raised area ahead of the coachroof, looks like it's designed to channel water.? 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Looks like a weapon. Hows that for a chine? And the cabin looks a bit like Hugo Boss.? Also that raised area ahead of the coachroof, looks like it's designed to channel water.? 

The chine reminds me of the first Lombard Lift class 40. Cockpit reminds me of a hybrid between Hugo Boss and Apivia. The helm stations look like they’re pushed outboard, I wonder if they will have switched to wheels purely because tillers take up a lot of space. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a pair of small 600mm carbon wheels

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, JL92S said:

The chine reminds me of the first Lombard Lift class 40. Cockpit reminds me of a hybrid between Hugo Boss and Apivia. The helm stations look like they’re pushed outboard, I wonder if they will have switched to wheels purely because tillers take up a lot of space. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a pair of small 600mm carbon wheels

You are taking some great photos.! Gettin around..? :D

32 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Besides the fact the roof is covered, the cockpit is nothing like Hugo Boss. HB is pushed as low down and forward as possible, it’s just behind the mast and nearly flush with the deck. 11.2’s cockpit is in the same place as every other imoca they’ve just build a giant coachroof to fit multiple people which is much higher than anything on HB. 

In the design images they released it looked a lot more like HB and had that little stairway to get on deck, but it looks like they retreated from such a radical deck layout. 

• Like 1

Large forehatch on starboard suggests getting sails on deck through that only. Can’t really see them stacking much to windward of that coachroof, and to windward of that blip leading to the mast is too far inboard. Looks like making sail changes and getting crew on deck will be a pain. Also hope that any helm platforms are high to see the bow from. Suggests to me steering from further forward looking through those windows.

getting sails on deck through the forehatch when on port might be interesting!

Sticking it on a monohull is like lipstick on a pig. The multihull platform is clearly ideal for this approach. You don’t need heavy, highly loaded swinging arms, just a daggerboard with wings on the top.

horses for courses