That's a cool boat.

I wonder if Bombardier made so much stuff out of fiberglass, the guys in the fiberglass shop snuck in a range of sailboats for themselves. Don't see many of them around but they look relatively well done

FB- Doug

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 8/18/2019 at 6:30 AM, Steam Flyer said:

That's a cool boat.

I wonder if Bombardier made so much stuff out of fiberglass, the guys in the fiberglass shop snuck in a range of sailboats for themselves. Don't see many of them around but they look relatively well done

FB- Doug

They were made for the Canadian market before NAFTA ended tariffs on imported boats.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spankoka said:

They were made for the Canadian market before NAFTA ended tariffs on imported boats.

With marginal success. Boats are average.

11 hours ago, fastyacht said:

There were some other very Canadian builders back in the day. Pace (Paceship? ) or something, in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

I thought Paceships were pretty good, for their time. They built a range from racing class dinghies up to cruising boats, pretty good designs. I'm kind of on the lookout for one of their 20-footer cuddy cabin boats, the Mouette.

Later they were part of a big conglomerate and built Ray Hunt designed trailer racer/cruisers.

One of the junior programs I'm involved with was given a Paceship FJ. Of course it needed all new running rigging and sails, but it came on a good trailer (not Paceship's doing, of course). As good a boat as any of our FJs, now departed curtesy of H. Florence

FB- Doug

12 hours ago, fastyacht said:

There were some other very Canadian builders back in the day. Pace (Paceship? ) or something, in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

"...very Canadian..."?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Yeah, like, not a US firm with a shop or a marketing department in Toronto...

A few other very Canadian dinghy builders. Only 2 or 3 still in business.

Abbott, CL, Paceship, Performance, Western Sailcraft, Smallcraft, Glenmore, Mirage, Vandestadt.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I thought Paceships were pretty good, for their time. They built a range from racing class dinghies up to cruising boats, pretty good designs. I'm kind of on the lookout for one of their 20-footer cuddy cabin boats, the Mouette.

Later they were part of a big conglomerate and built Ray Hunt designed trailer racer/cruisers.

One of the junior programs I'm involved with was given a Paceship FJ. Of course it needed all new running rigging and sails, but it came on a good trailer (not Paceship's doing, of course). As good a boat as any of our FJs, now departed curtesy of H. Florence

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, spankoka said:

I still own a Paceship back on the right coast. It's a P-17 designed by C&C. I don't think it gets much more Canadian than that. 

1 hour ago, bill4 said:

A few other very Canadian dinghy builders. Only 2 or 3 still in business.

Abbott, CL, Paceship, Performance, Western Sailcraft, Smallcraft, Glenmore, Mirage, Vandestadt.

20191025_162030.thumb.jpg.20ff5be9c09ff3f1c5508c2b0f52ec6f.jpg20191025_161853.thumb.jpg.9cd1f83a901db2f42f7c683b5bd8cb81.jpg20191025_161731.thumb.jpg.89737ec5a51345fa6b508a5583ccf1a6.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 7:33 PM, bartman99 said:

Do you have any more info on this boat? I'm thinking of getting one for about the same price near me? How does it sail? Easy to rig? Do you have any other info you've found online? Not much out there...

BM99 

Sorry bartman for the slow response. Boat sails very well. It’s quick and has very little weather helm. I dry sail it off my trailer. It takes twenty minutes from pulling into the launch area to sailing off the dock. I have the original owners manual. I can scan and send if you like. Nothing online exists.

• 1 year later...

Hi Captain Ujack,

Could you please send me a copy of the Bombardier 4.8 owners manual that you have?  My father has passed and he has the same boat at his cabin that we are considering to sell.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine just bought a house on the lake that came with a Bombardier 4.8.

She doesn't sail so asked me to rig it up for her so friends could come over and use it.

Hadn't been used in years so hull was a bit scruffy but sails we're literally brand new and foils were freshly varnished.

Rigging and hardware simple and a bit lame but functionall. Rotating mast and roller fuller and orange color a plus.

Boat sailed great and was surprisingly fast in light wind with me soloing.

IMG_20210709_145658_8.jpg

• Like 3