turn buckle anarchy

burnt chef

So I trailer my snipe to the bay and stepping the mast on the trailer is a huge PITA.  Specifically attaching the shrouds under the gunnels.  I want to rig a ss cable up through the gunnel and attach a ss turn buckle, then shorten the shroud and attach to the turnbuckle.  This way set up should speed up the fun by shortening the frustration of old eyes upside down trying to attach shrouds.  Any one have experience doing this or a better end around to achieve my goal?  I also thought about just putting a eye on the shortened shroud and attaching it to the new through gunnel with a shackle.  Any help or experience much appreciated.  The summer stink pots will soon be out of the bay, and the wind is better second season.

Eric

On mine, I could leave shrouds attached all the time and angle mast foot through the deck and into the step while standing the rig up. Then force mast forward with ram to hold rig up, hop out and pin the forestay. A helper, if available could pin the forestay for you.

There are so many boat variations, it may not work for you. It took some experimentation for me to work out the right angle to spear the mast through the deck.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, burnt chef said:

So I trailer my snipe to the bay and stepping the mast on the trailer is a huge PITA.  Specifically attaching the shrouds under the gunnels.  I want to rig a ss cable up through the gunnel and attach a ss turn buckle, then shorten the shroud and attach to the turnbuckle.  This way set up should speed up the fun by shortening the frustration of old eyes upside down trying to attach shrouds.  Any one have experience doing this or a better end around to achieve my goal?  I also thought about just putting a eye on the shortened shroud and attaching it to the new through gunnel with a shackle.  Any help or experience much appreciated.  The summer stink pots will soon be out of the bay, and the wind is better second season.

Eric

Hey Eric not sure this will help but will give it a go. I raced the Snipe with my two kids when they were really young so had to trailer often and set it up myself. Like yours, mine shrouds were rigged below the deck. If you are racing at all or thinking of it you also want the ability to change mast rake (do you have the timing guides?) by modifying shroud tension at the dock or on the trailer for whatever the day will bring.

The make it easy trick I found was to take the main halyard over to the deck (jib car) or trailer beam for which side shroud was was tensioning and snug it up good. That gave me enough slack that it was easy to attach the shroud in whatever hole (tension) I wanted. Repeat on the other side and you are done. Was just sailing an old Snipe this weekend briefly and did same. Still works and makes life easy. If attaching the shrouds to above deck connections. Hope his helps!

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, Captain Ujack said:

I’m wondering about using lifeline hardware for my small boat rigging. Any thoughts?

Lifeline swages are not as strong as rigging swages. They do not have the same length of bury in the fitting.

Archived