oneiron

HIRW 19

Was looking at the results for Hammo, anyone know why Ichi Ban isn’t racing? They won the race to get there, but not doing the regatta?

It's a massively overpriced wankfest, becoming more & more about the onshore social events than the sailing.

Says alot when the president ofthe national sailing body isn't there with either of his boats.

Also WTF is this in Ocean Racing?

• Like 3

When you've got 14 divisions for 234 boats everyone's a winner - but in reality the on shore has been as important as the racing for 2/3 of the boats forever. Back in the bad old days there was the 85 mile overnighter and then the rest day afterwards. That got canned. Then the split of w/Ls for the grand prix while the normal people went passage racing. It doesn't have to be crazy expensive, but if you can enjoy yourself, why not?

13 hours ago, oneiron said:

Was looking at the results for Hammo, anyone know why Ichi Ban isn’t racing? They won the race to get there, but not doing the regatta?

Maybe because Marcus is there and Ichi is waiting on a new inshore mast. Envy & Gweilo went home too. Hate to think of the cost for one of those programs on Hammo for a week plus.

16 hours ago, oneiron said:

The Aus Sailing Prez is doing Pre-Olympic duties in Japan

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

The Aus Sailing Prez is doing Pre-Olympic duties in Japan

Cool thanks for that. I wasn’t suspecting anything sinister, just curious. Cheers. 

I see the moral bankruptcy of Australian Sailing continues with the “anti hooligan” rule again for the Aust Yacting Champs in Hobart.

for Div 1 boats unless you have done the Hobart you must carry a DNS in your score that can not be dropped.

And you wonder why people just laugh.

dickheads!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

It's a massively overpriced wankfest, becoming more & more about the onshore social events than the sailing.

Also WTF is this in Ocean Racing?

Anyway you chop it up, getting 230 odd boats together is pretty darn good. 

It kinda isn’t that expensive for an expensive sport. Includes marina fees and if you have a reasonably modest boat and split the costs up and sleep on board and not eat out everynight at la de da joints it’s not too ridiculous. 

Why’s Hammo in Offshore Anarchy?There’s no real other Anarchy for inshore yacht racing, is there, as far as I can see? Sailing Anarchy (the topic section not the overall website) seems to be for more random stuff.  Maybe there should be a Inshore Anarchy. Certainly the bulk of week in, week out yacht  racing is inshore. 

And while I’m saying dumb stuff, how come Beau Geste isn’t in the multiracing fleet? 

4 Extreme 40’s. Pretty cool. I wonder how many they built? Burkey must be happy to see them there. They were conceived under his Volvo watch, weren’t they? 

1 hour ago, lydia said:

“anti hooligan” rule again for the Aust Yacting Champs in Hobart.

What rules that? The links to the NOR/SI on the website seem broken

The one that stops the very new TPs which don’t go in the ocean from winning the regatta.

Also known in some quarters as the Matt Allen rule

All pigs are equal, some more equal that others.

1 hour ago, lydia said:

The one that stops the very new TPs which don’t go in the ocean from winning the regatta.

Also known in some quarters as the Matt Allen rule

All pigs are equal, some more equal that others.

WIll the new inshore mast and new inshore sails to go with it be waiting for Ichi Ban in Hobart?

2 hours ago, Razorblade_Romance said:

No, boats must race in the same configuration as what they did the Hobart.  So unless the forecast is awfully light, she will be in offshore mode.

So is the Hobart race counted in your overall scores for the championships ?

If it’s not included in the score and count for points in the championship then it’s unfair for all who may enter. What about the Hobart boats that don’t do the Hobart race that may still want to enter. 

Australian Sailing has been killing the sport for years and the ass licker “Stand in the way” is just one of the major problems.

pulpit

14 hours ago, lydia said:

I see the moral bankruptcy of Australian Sailing continues with the “anti hooligan” rule again for the Aust Yacting Champs in Hobart.

for Div 1 boats unless you have done the Hobart you must carry a DNS in your score that can not be dropped.

dickheads!

This is just extraordinary.  The regatta should be self contained.

13 hours ago, LionIsland said:

And while I’m saying dumb stuff, how come Beau Geste isn’t in the multiracing fleet? 

She is.  MOD Beau Geste

4 hours ago, Razorblade_Romance said:

No, boats must race in the same configuration as what they did the Hobart.  So unless the forecast is awfully light, she will be in offshore mode.

So full Cat 1 gear on board with full water tanks at the start of each race for an inshore regatta...

Offshore mains only too? Bloody ridiculous if that's true. 

35 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

So full Cat 1 gear on board with full water tanks at the start of each race for an inshore regatta...

Offshore mains only too? Bloody ridiculous if that's true. 

Also most boats would have different sails on board for Hobart as opposed to a regatta

And of course AIS will be switched on !!!!!

AS should be ashamed, another stake in the heart of the sport we love.

Bureaucratic madness

• Like 1

Of course the Hobart race is not weighted either.

630 miles same weight as a 50 minute windward leeward race

Suspect you have to take off the spare main and the extra spin after race 1  (Hobart) if you are in div 1 .

Is there a NOR / SI publically accessible somewhere? Links were broken for me.

21 hours ago, lydia said:

dickheads!

Clearly a rule for the exclusion of others.

Governance issues??

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

Is there a NOR / SI publically accessible somewhere? Links were broken for me.

AYC NoR Final.pdf

• Like 1

Far out...

You can not make this shit up.

Love the limit on configuration now as well.

You can now add the Royal Yacht club of Tasmania to the list of failed sailing institutions.

Same old story, any club that gets into bed with AS like this starts to fail and will fail as the ordinary rank and file members go WTF.

No ordinary member engagement equals no sustainable revenue.

No sustainable revenue mean club has to look elsewhere for revenue and that  will be outside so the nexus between the club and the sport and long term ordinary members is broken which of course is the rationale for the club in the first place.

so what you end up with is a boat storage facility with a unprofitable bar attached where very few owners actually engage with the club or club events

Revisit my comment in 5 years.

Pity I have been a long term RYCT ever.

• Like 2

The AYC NoR is one of the worst documents I have ever read.  How does an owner know what is a Div 1 boat, what is the safety category, what influence does CYCA have on the AYC.  The AYC is not an offshore championship.

A most extraordinary document.  Would be interesting to have access to all the YA and RYCT discussions on the AYC and what races would constitute it.  Unusual for the delivery to the regatta be part of the regatta (and only for some boats).

I'm not so stunned at the "stay in same config" rule, as its just going to encourage Hobart entrants (which lets face it is more of a draw than the AYC) to stay and play, but then why Div 1 only, most of the lower handicap boats won't have the budget to change rigs and keels etc so its almost by default for them. However making Hobart madatory or a non discardable "DNS" is at best hostile to local boats and worst down right ludicrous. Why not make it at least discardable... Hell AVS would be the fairest option.

I can't see many of the serious programs wanting to do this regatta anyway. Usually they can't wait to get the fuck outta Dodge (ok, Hobart) and head for home as soon as they can.      There's not a lot of appeal in this regatta, particularly in that absurd NOR, to entice them to hang around for the better part of another week. Pissing off from the family for a few days right after Christmas and then getting the boat home is one thing but stretching it out further than that is not going to go over too well in many homes. 

So far, its hard to imagine how those morons at AS could have fucked this up more. Just like they did with last years AYC debacle. Seeing a pattern here?

• Like 1

So a TP which doesn’t do the RSHYR can race in Cat5, with a lighter boat and inshore sails but if you do the Hobart you need to race in that configuration being Cat1. Only difference is the non hobart race boat will get a DNS, and a huge racing weight advantage 

A DNS you can’t drop even if over 6 races are sailed btw

Weather looks nice at Airlie and hammo

What about the Westcoasters?  They get a DNS as well. Same for Launceston to Hobart boats (mind you not likely they will be in Div 1 but you never know).

Just looked at the last AYC and div 1 was the TP/IRC 52's. The highest handicap div 2 was the Boltin 40, Team Hollywood.

Div 1 will perhaps be 50+. Regardless, a stupid idea to exclude inshore racers from the championships.

Also silly to use a rating system that is not used Australia wide; ORCi. If they are going to use a handicap system that is not Aus wide, they might as well use AMS which is an Aussie system that is used in Tassie. but no.......

1 hour ago, lydia said:

A DNS you can’t drop even if over 6 races are sailed btw

Weather looks nice at Airlie and hammo

Ha! That’s why I asked the question in the first place.. I didn’t mean to open Pandora’s hoo ha....  But what you have unearthed is ridiculous in the extreme. 

11.2.2 Australian Yachting Championship IRC/ ORCi/PHS Division 1 boats that did not compete in the RSHYR, there race 1 score shall be DNS, which is not excludable.

It’s actually ok. By using “there” and not “their” in the NOR the good folks at A/S have left ample room and opportunity for a competitor to protest or litigate their way to a Championship.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 5:58 AM, Jason AUS said:

It’s actually ok. By using “there” and not “their” in the NOR the good folks at A/S have left ample room and opportunity for a competitor to protest or litigate their way to a Championship.

Just when you  thought it couldn't be a bigger circus it actually gets better - online NOR is different AYC NOR - Rev 3.2 – 3 September 2019 

Is it just me but can anyone tell me how clause 3.3 and 6.2 and 6.3 are supposed to work.

Just more AS bullshit.

So you enter with one certificate, sail the Hobart with another then change back to the original configuration but wait 6.2 does not say??

4 hours ago, lydia said:

So you enter with one certificate, sail the Hobart with another then change back to the original configuration but wait 6.2 does not say??

That’s how I read it. And after the Hobart you can take off your spare main (what??) and extra kite.