• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, replace Trump with someone competent.  wow, that was easy.

I like the cyclops index.    If the number of cars with a missing headlight exceeds 2% the community is in recession.   

Jeff will be along shortly to correct you and say that this is all part of the Bitch Burning. What you mistakenly see as catastrophic national debt, a looming recession and a breach of long standing i

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Businesses have also wisely stopped cap ex in response to Trump’s dumbfuckery 

It’s just good business but it’s evidence they also want him gone.

straws.gif

The record stock prices under Trump is up 33%, Shit the market Triple under BO and double under BC

with tha being said , who benefits from these record high's

l-cbgBqtVbnyfCWalHvT4-RmUyVXlOrtOU4PX7qe2axtA0Mb15u5_WHkZrKB9gslA8xPQ4gj0x6GxeT466yntVLz0ONMPs-uKxfOBf4o7INRFWSiOtSfZIi2sAoxLm1ACEB-7uMu

The old saying , buy low sell, sell high.

Also the market has been basicly flat from 1/26 /2018

Kinda reminds me of the Bush days , Cut taxes , print money ,lower interst rates ,raise debt, and Kudlow saying the economy is doing great!

so how that turn out?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

What a joke! You idiots are sucked in every time by the very newspapers, cable shows and websites who's only goal is to whip you into a frenzy and create this crap for you to rage about. 

The Drip Drip Drip thread is a rolling testimony to stupidity of your belief in your media. After several hundred posts (thousands maybe) citing too many articles that all predicted the demise of Trump and you guys bought it lock stock and barrel. Not a single one has come to pass... Not one. 

This will be the same. 

Will a recession eventually happen? Of course it will but even if its a "soft landing" from the boom the NYT that said the boom would never happen under Trump, you idiots will blame Trump and a soft landing will be hailed as a massive recession by your idiot media NYT, WaPo, MSNBC, FOX et al. 

Your information sources have a credibility issue but you keep post they're crap because you want to believe it. Not because it's true.   

Seriously, are you new to politics?

• Like 1

There was a boom? When?  Was it a boom tree falling in the forest? Did it leave? A branch office boom? Was it packed in trunks?  Does that make Trump poplar? His supporters do pine for him and never beech.  I could go on but wooden do that.

43 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

There was a boom? When?  Was it a boom tree falling in the forest? Did it leave? A branch office boom? Was it packed in trunks?  Does that make Trump poplar? His supporters do pine for him and never beech.  I could go on but wooden do that.

Boom?................... There was supposed to be a big BOOM!.... But..... Where's the boom?

Wages are the same as in 1986, but commodities prices have risen significantly.... Where's the "BOOM"?

Anyone who thinks that the average wage has even come close to keeping up with the rise in prices is an idiot.

So what if they inflated employment numbers by a million jobs over the course of the year.  All it will take is a distraction or two to make the Faithful look the other way.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/458354-federal-analysis-economy-created-half-a-million-fewer-jobs-than-was-reported 

https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cesprelbmk.htm

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

So what if they inflated employment numbers by a million jobs over the course of the year.  All it will take is a distraction or two to make the Faithful look the other way.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/458354-federal-analysis-economy-created-half-a-million-fewer-jobs-than-was-reported 

https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cesprelbmk.htm

Is this still the best economy in history?

On 8/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, Movable Ballast said:

What a joke! You idiots are sucked in every time by the very newspapers, cable shows and websites who's only goal is to whip you into a frenzy and create this crap for you to rage about. 

The Drip Drip Drip thread is a rolling testimony to stupidity of your belief in your media. After several hundred posts (thousands maybe) citing too many articles that all predicted the demise of Trump and you guys bought it lock stock and barrel. Not a single one has come to pass... Not one. 

This will be the same. 

Will a recession eventually happen? Of course it will but even if its a "soft landing" from the boom the NYT that said the boom would never happen under Trump, you idiots will blame Trump and a soft landing will be hailed as a massive recession by your idiot media NYT, WaPo, MSNBC, FOX et al. 

Your information sources have a credibility issue but you keep post they're crap because you want to believe it. Not because it's true.   

There was no "boom" under Trump.  The economy continued the trajectory it had been on since before he was elected..... until it didn't.  If you want to blame that on his policies or simply the length of time we had been on an upward trend, that's fine.  But increasing the debt the way he has, reducing the goverment's income the way he has, and continuing to spend the way he has is horrible financially for the country.  Of course, he's fond of pointing out that he won't be around when the shit really hits the fan.

Classic CEO behavior.

• Like 1
On 8/20/2019 at 9:05 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Boom?................... There was supposed to be a big BOOM!.... But..... Where's the boom?

Wages are the same as in 1986, but commodities prices have risen significantly.... Where's the "BOOM"?

Anyone who thinks that the average wage has even come close to keeping up with the rise in prices is an idiot.

This is a direct result of the Fed's manipulation of fiscal policy.  Had they not interfered, our currency would have deflated, and then the debt would look even worse.  Instead, they've inflated, and our wages will never keep up because companies have no reason to raise them to match inflation.  If you were to force the issue by increasing the minimum wage then inflation will increase even more as companies raise prices to compensate.

The only reason the American populace isn't screaming about this is BECAUSE of China and the incredibly cheap products they produce.  And those prices are already starting to increase as they employ larger amounts of their population and labor is harder to find.  This is why Trump keeps putting off the new tariffs.  They will directly affect people in a huge shopping season and then the economy will REALLY dump onces those rosy profit numbers from Target start dropping through the floor.

The car companies already know it's coming.  That's why GM and Ford have both been making major cuts.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, Movable Ballast said:

You could be right about information sources. I want to consider some other options. What sources of information would you recommend?

• Like 1
On 8/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, Movable Ballast said:

What does any of that have to do with the media ginning up a recession for ratings and to bring down Trump?

So, you think the media 'gins up' a recession?  They report the news, as sensationally as possible.  I've heard over and over about stupendous jobs numbers, and the Dow has gone up, etc.  But you ignore that side of it right?  Because it's easier to be able to pretend they are evil and only report the negative.

This is exactly the kind of biased and 100% incorrect statement that pisses thinking people off.  You actually BUY the idea that the media wants to "bring down Trump".

Do you really think investors in this country are stupid enough to listen to the main stream media for their investment advice?

Hint:  the little people who dabble in stocks are only a tiny portion of the market.  Most of the money is controlled by computes and massive corporations who could give a fuck what the media says.

You've fallen off in the deep end and you're thrashing around like you're drowning.  Take a deep breath and get out of the pool dude.

You do understand the media can say whatever they want, but the NUMBERS prove out whether there was a recession or not, right?

On 8/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, d'ranger said:

Oak, that was cool. Walnut continue?

“While monetary policy is a powerful tool that works to support consumer spending, business investment, and public confidence, it cannot provide a settled rule book for international trade,” Mr. Powell, speaking in Jackson, Wyo., said at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City’s annual symposium.

“Our challenge now is to do what monetary policy can do to sustain the expansion” 

Fed Chairman Powell. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/business/powell-fed-interest-rates-trump.html

whaddya mean the Fed can't be manipulated to stave off the effects of a trade war?  

42 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Great example of the Trump mal-administration going on. The Feds meeting in Jackson Hole and Team Trump didn't bother to send anyone in person. Instead Shitstain is accusing Powell of being an enemy of the US via Twitter to try and manipulate policy.

Trump has always thought the government is his to work at his disposal.  I'm no fan of Powell, but it seems he's doing his best to do his job without Trump's influence.  He's exactly right that the Fed has no business dealing with trade.

Shitstain tweets again:

"As usual, the Fed did NOTHING!" Trump tweeted. "It is incredible that they can 'speak' without knowing or asking what I am doing, which will be announced shortly. We have a very strong dollar and a very weak Fed. I will work "brilliantly" with both, and the U.S. will do great."

“My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel (sic) or Chairman Xi?,” the president added, referring to China’s leader. He later deleted the tweet, which misspelled Powell’s name, and resent it.

48 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Shitstain tweets again:

"As usual, the Fed did NOTHING!" Trump tweeted. "It is incredible that they can 'speak' without knowing or asking what I am doing, which will be announced shortly. We have a very strong dollar and a very weak Fed. I will work "brilliantly" with both, and the U.S. will do great."

“My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel (sic) or Chairman Xi?,” the president added, referring to China’s leader. He later deleted the tweet, which misspelled Powell’s name, and resent it.

I wish we had a president that understood even the basics of economics or how the government works.  Or maybe he does and he just wishes he was a dictator.  He always seems frustrated when things like the constitution get in his way.  

On 8/22/2019 at 8:02 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

You could be right about information sources. I want to consider some other options. What sources of information would you recommend?

I like The Hill for balance, New Republic for left of center not nut job press and American Thinker for right of center not nut job press. 

Case in point.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/458559-recession-obsession-is-unwarranted

What's your preferences? 

51 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

I like The Hill for balance, New Republic for left of center not nut job press and American Thinker for right of center not nut job press. 

Case in point.

What's your preferences? 

You consider op-eds as news??? :lol::lol::lol:

11 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Yes. I respect the opinions of others and take that opinion into account for the issues I wish to form an opinion on. 

How do you formulate your thoughts? Blind adherence the cool groupspeak circle jerk? 

I read opinion pieces all the time, but I certainly don't complain about people's sources for news and cite an opinion piece.  The question asked of you is where do you get your news?  You answered with an op-ed.  For someone who thinks they're smart, you certainly say stupid things.

Now, back to topic, Trump sure is trying his hardest to spurn a recession.  In classic Trumpian style, he creates a crisis, fixes the crisis he created and then claims victory.  This recession business is no different.  

6 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

I read opinion pieces all the time, but I certainly don't complain about people's sources for news and cite an opinion piece.  The question asked of you is where do you get your news?  You answered with an op-ed.  For someone who thinks they're smart, you certainly say stupid things.

Now, back to topic, Trump sure is trying his hardest to spurn a recession.  In classic Trumpian style, he creates a crisis, fixes the crisis he created and then claims victory.  This recession business is no different.  

You are kidding right? Trump is spurning a recession? tin foil hat shit that is mate... 

5 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

You are kidding right? Trump is spurning a recession? tin foil hat shit that is mate... 

What are the causes of most of the unrest in the economy?  Seems to me the trade war has a lot to do with it.  Who started the trade war?  Then there's the tax break that favored the wealthy, the DJIA surge that ended almost 2 years ago, etc.  Were these anything other than Trump's doings?  

14 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

His own Fed Chair said it was your boy Shitstain’s trade war. Remember, you don’t even like your boy Shitstain.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Sure it’s Obama’s fault.  If so he’s doing a great service to the country in chasing Trump out of office.

Thanks Obama!

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

His own Fed Chair said it was your boy Shitstain’s trade war. Remember, you don’t even like your boy Shitstain.

So what is the alternative to taking China to task for rampant IP theft, currency manipulating and product dumping in the US. 

No other president has had the stones to do what needs to be done. Everyone said they would but never did. 

We are by far China's biggest customer. They need us way more than we need them. 

But in the meantime, job creation in the US is a near record levels as is wages for all minority groups and unskilled labor. Consumer spending is up as is savings. 

So Joe Q public has more money, is spending it because he thinks it will keep coming and is saving a buck or two for a rainy day. Yeah your right recession is right around the corner... 

12 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

So what is the alternative to taking China to task for rampant IP theft, currency manipulating and product dumping in the US. 

No other president has had the stones to do what needs to be done. Everyone said they would but never did. 

We are by far China's biggest customer. They need us way more than we need them. 

But in the meantime, job creation in the US is a near record levels as is wages for all minority groups and unskilled labor. Consumer spending is up as is savings. 

So Joe Q public has more money, is spending it because he thinks it will keep coming and is saving a buck or two for a rainy day. Yeah your right recession is right around the corner... 

That's nice but before we get to that let's finish off with this:

2 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

This is your boy Shitstain's recession, plain and simple. No tin foil, no fake news. It's his and your boy owns it.

I don't think you know anything about intellectual property (I do) but enforcing existing IP laws does not require tariffs. It requires stones. In fact, tariffs have nothing to do with IP. Fighting IP theft with tariffs is like fighting retail theft with high prices. That's Shitstain level of thinking.

Ask farmers (who are pissed about John Deere's copyright misuse in preventing them from repairing their own tractors) if this is about IP.

4 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Bullshit.

Obama worked on getting leverage over China and cutting IP theft, but of course he was from Kenya so it doesn't count. And doing intelligent stuff that might actually work doesn't count for as much, to you righties at least, as flailing around madly while attention-whoring.

.....    ...    ...

...    ...

RIght again, what an amazing intellect you are...... that's why China has responded by cutting off buying from the US, which hurts US business (and farmers, maybe you've heard a little about that), and then carrying on as usual. A big "meh" as far as they're concerned. Do you suppose that Europe, the rest of Asia, Australia, and Africa, might have a bit more business than just the US? They're all piddling little shitholes, right?

I suggest you take a brief look at China's new silk road initiative.

...    ...     ...

I bet that cloud castle of dreams is a very comfortable place to live.

- DSK

14 hours ago, Olsonist said:

I don't think you know anything about intellectual property (I do) but enforcing existing IP laws does not require tariffs. It requires stones. In fact, tariffs have nothing to do with IP. Fighting IP theft with tariffs is like fighting retail theft with high prices. That's Shitstain level of thinking.

what is your answer for enforcing copyright protections in china?

18 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Case in point.

What's your preferences? 

Reuter’s, AP, BBC, The Hill if it doesn’t say “Opinion” at the top, Al Jazeera, Foxy News, and various “news” gatherers. News is news, and facts don’t have bias. It is when opinion gets presented under the guise of news that we become misinformed. 

15 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Oh geez.  Consumer spending is finally up (lagging economic indicator) but business investment is down (leading economic indicator).  Let's not ignore consumer debt is also approaching pre-great recession levels.

Unemployment is near record level (a trajectory that started with Obama) but not job creation.  And job creation is slowing.  In fact we just found out that 500k fewer jobs were created in the last 18 months.  

GDP is hovering around 2%.  Yield curve is inverted.  DJIA is down in the last 17 months. The budget deficit is approaching $1T.  Farmer's are requiring bailouts.  

So yeah, Trump's recession is right around the corner.

15 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Reuter’s, AP, BBC, The Hill if it doesn’t say “Opinion” at the top, Al Jazeera, Foxy News, and various “news” gatherers. News is news, and facts don’t have bias. It is when opinion gets presented under the guise of news that we become misinformed. 

The problem is that sorting through the mountains of bullshit presented as "news" takes a bit of foreknowledge and self-discipline. Guess who lacks these?

It's also a matter of consistency. When a "news" source spends a couple of weeks cycle on telling you how certain federal agencies are reorting bogus numbers and it's meaningless, then turns right around and starts trumpeting that same agency's numbers as proof of stable-genius-ness, you can pretty much toss that "news" source into the shill/parrot bin. This is the principle that any "news" reported by Gorka falls under: he has lied so many times, so blatantly and so shamelessly, that only an idiot and/or a blind partisan would take his word that the sky is actually blue.

Just as a certain type of reporting was once called "winchelling" after a popular "news" reporter, I think we ought to use the term "HuckaSanding" for this type of "news reporting."

- DSK

2 hours ago, hermetic said:

You think we're having a trade war with China over copyright protection? Dude, ever file a CFIUS declaration? Ask me a real question.

There are international copyright treaties (Berne Convention) but you'll find that copyrights are individual and enforcement is local. First and foremost, we enforce copyright here, at import, where our laws matter.

Copyright is not a problem worth a trade war nor is a trade war a particularly good approach to solving it. Instead the purpose of this trade war is to appeal to your boy Shitstain's base (which would include you) rather than to actually solve any underlying problem. This is like hiring an arsonist to solve a problem with your foundation. You're likely to have a fire and then after that, your foundation still has the same problem.

Politicizing it only appeals to idiots and then you have a bunch of idiots. Who is suffering in this trade war? Farmers with lower demand and consumers with higher prices. But wait, there's more. We're having a trade war with China while your boy pisses off Europe and the rest of the world. This reminds me of W's coalition of the willing which was seriously fucking stupid.

This is seriously stupid. Y'all are taking a real problem and only making it worse because the national will it takes to solve problems like this is a limited resource and wasting it on a losing effort, and your boy is losing this, means it's gone. Seriously fucking stupid.

IP theft is something better left to law enforcement.

https://www.kansas.com/news/state/article234237337.html

Now talk to me again about copyright enforcement. In China.

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:
3 hours ago, hermetic said:

You think we're having a trade war with China over copyright protection? Dude, ever file a CFIUS declaration? Ask me a real question.

There are international copyright treaties (Berne Convention) but you'll find that copyrights are individual and enforcement is local. First and foremost, we enforce copyright here, at import, where our laws matter.

Copyright is not a problem worth a trade war nor is a trade war a particularly good approach to solving it. Instead the purpose of this trade war is to appeal to your boy Shitstain's base (which would include you) rather than to actually solve any underlying problem. This is like hiring an arsonist to solve a problem with your foundation. You're likely to have a fire and then after that, your foundation still has the same problem.

Politicizing it only appeals to idiots and then you have a bunch of idiots. Who is suffering in this trade war? Farmers with lower demand and consumers with higher prices. But wait, there's more. We're having a trade war with China while your boy pisses off Europe and the rest of the world. This reminds me of W's coalition of the willing which was seriously fucking stupid.

This is seriously stupid. Y'all are taking a real problem and only making it worse because the national will it takes to solve problems like this is a limited resource and wasting it on a losing effort, and your boy is losing this, means it's gone. Seriously fucking stupid.

IP theft is something better left to law enforcement.

https://www.kansas.com/news/state/article234237337.html

Now talk to me again about copyright enforcement. In China.

I'm confused - did you answer my question?  I didn't ask about the trade war

you say you "know ip" - have you ever attempted to protect it in china?  what law enforcement branch did you use?

7 minutes ago, hermetic said:

you say you "know ip" - have you ever attempted to protect it in china?  what law enforcement branch did you use?

Dude, the context of this is your boy Shitstain's trade war with China. So you didn't have to ask about your boy's trade war for me to respond about the trade war.

If you have a technical question, which you haven't as yet framed, about protecting your important intellectual property in China then I would recommend engaging appropriate counsel here and there rather than asking on a sailing blog. You'll certainly pay more, you can afford it, but you'll get a better answer.

38 minutes ago, Olsonist said:
52 minutes ago, hermetic said:

Dude, the context of this is your boy Shitstain's trade war with China. So you didn't have to ask about your boy's trade war for me to respond about the trade war.

If you have a technical question, which you haven't as yet framed, about protecting your important intellectual property in China then I would recommend engaging appropriate counsel here and there rather than asking on a sailing blog. You'll certainly pay more, you can afford it, but you'll get a better answer

I have, and I did.  I was just wondering what your experience was

On 8/23/2019 at 11:23 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

whaddya mean the Fed can't be manipulated to stave off the effects of a trade war?  

Manipulating the Fed can be profitable -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-company-could-save-millions-if-interest-rates-fall-as-he-demands/2019/08/24/5e5df684-c5a9-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

Excerpt -

President Trump stands to save millions of dollars annually in interest on outstanding loans on his hotels and resorts if the Federal Reserve lowers rates as he has been demanding, according to public filings and financial experts. 

In the five years before he became president, Trump borrowed more than $360 million via four loans from Deutsche Bank for his hotels in Washington, D.C., and Chicago, as well his 643-room Doral golf resort in South Florida. 

The payments on all four properties vary with interest rate changes, according to Trump’s official financial disclosures. That means he has already benefited from falling interest rates that were spurred in part by a cut the Federal Reserve announced in July, the first in more than a decade — and his payments could drop by millions of dollars more annually if the central bank grants Trump’s wish and further lowers short-term rates, experts said.

buckle up should be another wild week for the market up 2000 or down 3000

after being shunted at G7 he'll come home with all tweets firing, trying to blame everyone .

-Tries to fire Powell

-fires Kudlow

-closes all the ports on the west coast to chinese ships

-blames it all on Hilary or O bama

- congress inacts the 25th Amend.

-beefs up navy in the south china sea

if I miss anything or want to add , 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sean said:

Manipulating the Fed can be profitable -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-company-could-save-millions-if-interest-rates-fall-as-he-demands/2019/08/24/5e5df684-c5a9-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

Excerpt -

President Trump stands to save millions of dollars annually in interest on outstanding loans on his hotels and resorts if the Federal Reserve lowers rates as he has been demanding, according to public filings and financial experts. 

In the five years before he became president, Trump borrowed more than $360 million via four loans from Deutsche Bank for his hotels in Washington, D.C., and Chicago, as well his 643-room Doral golf resort in South Florida. 

The payments on all four properties vary with interest rate changes, according to Trump’s official financial disclosures. That means he has already benefited from falling interest rates that were spurred in part by a cut the Federal Reserve announced in July, the first in more than a decade — and his payments could drop by millions of dollars more annually if the central bank grants Trump’s wish and further lowers short-term rates, experts said.

That’s just good business. Nothing burger. The Most Selfless Man in the GOP has interests that align perfectly with those of the people. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That’s just good business. Nothing burger. The Most Selfless Man in the GOP has interests that align perfectly with those of the people. 

Purple font?

On 8/25/2019 at 9:00 AM, Sean said:

The dubious friends of Donald Trump part two: King of Diamonds

Although still in its early days, Donald Trump’s presidency is coming under fire. The Russians are alleged to be in possession of sensitive information about Trump. And that exposes Trump to blackmail. Fake news, tweets Trump: “I have nothing to do with Russia – no deals, no loans, no nothing!” Trump swears he has no ties with the Russians. But is that actually the case? 

https://zembla.bnnvara.nl/nieuws/the-dubious-friends-of-donald-trump-part-two-king-of-diamonds

• 1 month later...

Rumblings of Recession Get Louder

Most recently, the key U.S. manufacturing index hit its lowest point in more than a decade, a sign of how U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade wars have become a self-inflicted wound that threatens to send the economy into a tailspin just in time for his reelection campaign.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/02/rumblings-of-recession-get-louder-purchasing-managers-index-pmi-manufacturing-tariffs/

Rode home on the bus today from my union hall  (one call on the board, wire feed welder for American Bridge at the convention center, not my thing) noticed a lot less tower cranes compared to a month ago, not exactly a great indicator but since I know fuck all about finance & economics it's all I got, maybe a little chill in this capex yall speak of?

18 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

noticed a lot less tower cranes compared to a month ago

GC Oz used that as an indicator of sorts back in the day .................................

Just think,  Donnies under pressure and just one tantrum away from another global financial crisis, comforting thought innit.

Where are the men in white coats when you need em?

The tragedy is that when  this tips, old Moscow Mitch will have this resolved be a lunchtime too late.

Donnies bone spurs will have been playing up and the doctors recommend blow jobs and hot chicks ahem,  rest and relaxation.....

Kudlow will be in hit up to his armpits.

Auckland has 100 cranes on the cities skyline.....Thanks Donnie........ you motherfucker :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

New car sales.  Or rather the lack of.

New York (CNN Business)America's manufacturing industry is in contraction. Business spending is soft. And now the biggest chunk of the economy, the US service sector, is growing at its weakest pace in three years.

Recession fears were reinforced on Thursday after the Institute for Supply Management said its non-manufacturing index dropped to 52.6 last month, down from 56.4 in August. This barometer of growth among service providers such as banks, restaurants and hotels is now at the lowest level since August 2016.
Businesses expressed concern about tariffs, a shortage of workers and the direction of the economy, ISM said.
Although the service sector is still expanding, the gloomy report raises concern that America's manufacturing troubles are spilling over into the broader economy. US manufacturing activity dropped deeper into contraction in September, the most sluggish month for factories since June 2009.

First trip to Long Island in awhile , freezing my ass off,

But the great economy where in , Just drove by a shopping area, K-mart gone,payless gone, hallmark gone, a couple other store fronts empty, signs down.

traffic on the LIE still sucks!

2 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

First trip to Long Island in awhile , freezing my ass off,

But the great economy where in , Just drove by a shopping area, K-mart gone,payless gone, hallmark gone, a couple other store fronts empty, signs down.

traffic on the LIE still sucks!

Retail has been in a depression for a decade +, but pretty sure that’s more to do with that dern Internet (grandpa voice) than expansion/recession.

6 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

the internet is a part of retail decline, but it's been exacerbated by shitty PE management/ownership and skyrocketing commercial rents.

It's odd to me that the rents are self-correcting. We've got empty spots on a strip that's been extremely strong retail for a couple decades. The landlords are pushing the city to re-zone to part-office vs. all retail on this avenue as vacancies are climbing. My point to the city is "keep it retail" and let the rents fall to where retail can exist.

But the landlords are powerful.

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

New car sales.  Or rather the lack of.

I've been thinking for a while that cars are becoming a subscription item.  Most of the TV ads now quote lease pricing and it's hard to find the MSRP.  One of our local Toyota dealers runs ads with banners that say Toyota Corolla 15,999 in great big letters and if you aren't quick you don't notice the little Used next to the price.  The bottom third of the screen is usually filled with really fine print.

End result is a lot of used car sales off lease competing with new.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, Raz'r said:

It's odd to me that the rents are self-correcting. We've got empty spots on a strip that's been extremely strong retail for a couple decades. The landlords are pushing the city to re-zone to part-office vs. all retail on this avenue as vacancies are climbing. My point to the city is "keep it retail" and let the rents fall to where retail can exist.

But the landlords are powerful.

REITs and the impact of collateralize loans in a zero interest world.  If you own the land and the property taxes are low, you can borrow money at zero interest and pay the taxes indefinitely and just wait.  If you then become part of a multi-regional REIT, you can buffer your losses.  Status quo wins.  Zero turnover.  Slow bleed.  Forever.

12 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Lowest unemployment rates in 50 years! Recession for sure... 

Trump, or perhaps just the US Economic cycle, has got employment all the way up to 1986 levels. Wow!

On 10/3/2019 at 12:37 PM, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Genius idea! Why hasn't anyone thought of offering cars as a subscription? https://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/care-by-volvo :rolleyes:

it only works for the sector of the market that wants, and can pay for, the latest and greatest all the time. Most americans drive used to very used cars, cars <1 year old are <8% of the vehicles on the road. this is part of why sillycon valley backed off autos; the money just isn't there.

You can put me in the "very used-old" demographic, 94 Escort wagon, & the odo shows 95 grand & change, of course the bike/bus thing is a factor in the low miles. 

• 4 weeks later...

The economy collapsing one segment at a time. Watch the economic geniuses proclaim a need for an immediate tax cut.

Survey: US business hiring falls to a 7-year low

Source: Associated Press

Survey: US business hiring falls to a 7-year low
By CHRISTOPHER RUGABER
today

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A measure of hiring by U.S. companies has fallen to a seven-year low and fewer employers are raising pay, a business survey has found. ... Just one-fifth of the economists surveyed by the National Association for Business Economics said their companies have hired additional workers in the past three months. That is down from one-third in July. Job totals were unchanged at 69% of companies, up from 57% in July. A broad measure of job gains in the survey fell to its lowest level since October 2012.

The hiring slowdown comes as more businesses are reporting slower growth of sales and profits. Business economists also expect the economy's growth to slow in the coming year, partly because tariffs have raised prices and cut into sales for many firms. ... "The U.S. economy appears to be slowing, and respondents expect still slower growth over the next 12 months," said Constance Hunter, NABE president and chief economist at the accounting firm KPMG.

Perhaps because of concerns over a weakening economy, businesses are less likely to offer higher pay, even with unemployment at a 50-year low. Just one-third of economists said their firms had lifted pay in the past three months, down from more than half a year ago. ... Companies are also cutting back on their investments in machinery, computers, and other equipment. The proportion of firms increasing their spending on such goods is at its lowest level in five years, the survey found.

Two-thirds of the economists surveyed now forecast that the economy will grow just 1.1% to 2% from the third quarter of 2019 through the third quarter of 2020. A year ago, they were more bullish: Nearly three-quarters forecast growth of 2.1% to 3% from the third quarter of 2018 through the third quarter of 2019. ... The NABE surveyed 101 economists at companies and trade associations from Sept. 26 through Oct. 14.

Read more: https://apnews.com/b0324178356449d4ba750fc1d3565b44
On 8/20/2019 at 10:42 AM, garuda3 said:

There's an old saying : bulls make $$ , bears make $$$ , pigs get slaugthered, 

Greed seems to be driving this market, 

Every one pushing that's things are great? Trunmp, he's puppets, CEO bankers, the Fed?

Am I missing something,

debit keeps increasing , stundend loans, auto, homes, credit card every one borrowing to keep up with the jones.

My names is Jones,  you dont have to borrow much to keep up with me.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, Movable Ballast said:

Lowest unemployment rates in 50 years! Recession for sure... 

Well,  it was Reagan's economic advisors who put a baseline unemployment rate of 5% in place to assure low wages for their masters and bust the unions. 

tRump's prole base loves that low, low unemployment number, even though is mostly minimum wage burger flipping. 

All  of this is fine with the CEOs now that the unions are largely broken and their is no organized voice pushing for higher wages.  

2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Well,  it was Reagan's economic advisors who put a baseline unemployment rate of 5% in place to assure low wages for their masters and bust the unions. 

tRump's prole base loves that low, low unemployment number, even though is mostly minimum wage burger flipping. 

All  of this is fine with the CEOs now that the unions are largely broken and their is no organized voice pushing for higher wages.  

Min wage earners account for 1-2% of employed Americans.........

That would be 0.5-1% of all Americans.....

As IIRC  about 1/2 of the population works.

You're thinking of your brain function, not employment rates.

Working people are closer to 2/3 - 61% last I looked.

Biggest Private Coal Miner Goes Bust As Trump Rescue Fails

Robert E. Murray, the U.S. coal baron who pressed the Trump administration to help save America’s struggling miners, placed his company into bankruptcy as demand for the fossil fuel continues to weaken.

Murray Energy Holdings Co. filed for Chapter 11 protection in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Columbus, Ohio, to restructure more than $2.7 billion of debt. The miner -- the largest privately-owned U.S. coal company -- reached a restructuring support agreement with a group of lenders that provides a new $350 million loan to keep operations going during the reorganization, according to the court filing.

The move comes more than a year after the Trump administration’s efforts to subsidize struggling nuclear and coal-fired power plants failed, shot down by Trump’s own appointed energy regulators. Some of those plants were Murray Energy’s customers. Robert Murray, a big donor to Trump’s campaign, was instrumental in setting his energy agenda and has hosted multiple fundraisers.

The company said Tuesday that it named Robert Moore as president and chief executive officer of Murray Energy. Under the restructuring agreement, the lender group will form a new entity -- called Murray NewCo -- that would seek to acquire the company’s assets, with Murray as chairman and Moore as CEO.

<snip> 

Murray listed almost 100 affiliates that were also filing for Chapter 11. Foresight Energy LP, a struggling St. Louis-based coal miner in which Murray bought a controlling stake, wasn’t part of the proceedings, Murray said in a statement. Foresight skipped an interest payment this month and is evaluating its options.

Robert Murray, who began working in coal mines at 16 to support his family, founded his St. Clairsville, Ohio-based company in 1988 and has been one of the industry’s biggest cheerleaders.

He led the fight against President Barack Obama’s clean-air rules, filing numerous legal challenges and calling the Democrat “the greatest enemy I’ve ever had in my life.” His company donated $1 million to a political action committee backing Trump’s agenda in the 2018 election.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-29/biggest-private-coal-miner-goes-bust-after-trump-rescue-fails

9 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

I love watching foxbots report statistical sophistry without understanding what they are talking about. That's roughly the number of people making the federal minimum hourly wage or less. 29 states and DC have a minimum wage higher than the federal minimum; so do a number of citys. As should be obvious the number of "minimum wage workers" is substantially larger than the number of workers who receive the federal minimum wage. Some estimates have it at 10x the number.

It is also likely that food industry workers like waiters/waitresses are not accounted for as 'minimum wage earners' because of the structure of their pay with regards to tipping.

11 hours ago, warbird said:

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You're thinking of your brain function, not employment rates.

Working people are closer to 2/3 - 61% last I looked.

Granted....

11 hours ago, warbird said:

.....does not diminish that min wage is a non issue percentage wise....