I've heard that the commercial sponsors and the real pro sailors are refusing to go to China, all in solidarity with the Hong Kong protesters. They are now seriously considering a real RTW course.

Ask Shang, he knows all about this, but expect a longish answer that avoids the real issue.

yeap. 2021 sounds unrealistic... or it could all end up being a VO65 only race with 2-3 IMOCAs if done then, as not many IMOCA teams look very interested in TOR. At least from the leading teams. All registered teams announced so far are looking for sponsors and without a race course, this is not an easy sell.  

btw, only one IMOCA raced in TOR mode at the Fastnet. Anyone with insights into how the experience was? (crowded quarters, no autopilot (is this confirmed?), foils?, etc.)

2021 for IMOCA they are up against the post VG TJV which might be acceptable for some to skip but likely mostly non-French IMOCA teams, ie, not most of the top teams,.

2022 its the RDR. Forget it.  All IMOCA teams will want to be running that race.

After the RDR  you're into the next VG cycle proper.  Reset.

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Or they come up with a schedule swap :-)

3 TOR threads now. What a great idea.

Ah yeah, moving right along.  :o

9 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Do you mean they move the RDR date, I hope not as I have that on my current plan.

Yes but with Thompson's new enclosed deck sweeping boom, and enclosed capsule if that works out, the future of design synergy between crewed and SH 60's is now as good as dead. Spyder I think your RDR plans are pretty safe.

TOR RO might have to rethink their design model unless they are happy only attracting older/2nd tier 60's that lend themselves to multi racetrack use.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:03 AM, CorinthianLogistics said:

Anyone know if it’s likely to actually happen?  It seems like only one team announced so far. The website is also very basic. Is there any real organizing force or headcount behind it, or is it DOA?

It seems more likely that there will be a 4th thread about the race than the likelihood the race will happen.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I really think there should be a separate thread about how many threads there are about TOR.

Or why it deserves a thread at all at this point.

15 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I really think there should be a separate thread about how many threads there are about TOR.

maybe, perhaps we should start a thread to see if we need one about how many threads there are.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

I've heard that the commercial sponsors and the real pro sailors are refusing to go to China, all in solidarity with the Hong Kong protesters. They are now seriously considering a real RTW course.

Ask Shang, he knows all about this, but expect a longish answer that avoids the real issue.

What bullshit. Short enough Fiji? 

• 1 year later...

I tried searching for "The Ocean Race" as a Topic, seems this is it? 

But no posts since Aug 2019... am I in the wrong place ???  :huh:

But just in case, a team from Mexico is entering: