A very one design, the rebuild..

On 9/15/2021 at 10:03 PM, JimC said:

Julian's idea of having the mainsheet bridle rigged to the trim tab control is also rather interesting.

Interesting but if you are hard on the wind and get a sudden backing of the sails ,( in our case that could be caused by passing a tree on the river bank) then the bridle could trip the trim tab the other way and stuff you into the bank. Some sort of combination might work using the bridle to push the tab over, but it being held in place by a foot operated lock.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today is Rememberance Sunday,  at 11:00 this morning, I should  have been at the sailing club lowering the club flags,  for the silence. Racing would have been delayed until 11:15, and all. The club m

I think I'd stay clear of anything too clever. Basics first, if a blade isn't smooth and fair its not going to be great for anything, and as soon as you have lumps in the leading edge its going to be

Only a small amount of work this weekend, yesterday I swapped sections of my model railway at the model railway club. So today I unloaded the returning section from the trailer, but had major problems

Posted Images

Mmm. Its analogous to the need to tack the mast on wing masted boats like the Tasar, which is often held to be a very big deal by people who haven't sailed them much, but I never found to be an issue once it was practiced. I wonder if pressing the tab lever as you go into the tack would provide a little extra turning power, reducing the amount of rudder needed?

That may well work and is something to consider when I get round to designing the mechanism. The direction of forces with and against the rudder turning will have to be considered, then the Manoeuvre practiced.

Meanwhile no actual boat work for two weekends. I've been visiting my parents for the first time for nearly 2 years due to covid.. 417 Mile drive each way, heavy traffic..

While there I've spent some hours working on the layout, getting sheets etc from the jib and all the other ropes to me, sat in the boat.

Some measurement will take place this morning, after that some orders are going in. There will need some deck mounted turning blocks, and some through deck bushes though they will actually go through the cockpit sides.

A pack of 10 identical cam cleats has been ordered  for the general fit out.

Also I've been hunting dyneema ,  for steering control lines, halyards, furling line.   4mm  and 2mm will cover most of it. The jib and main sheets will conventional ropes as my tired paws need thicker ropes for comfort when actually sailing. That too will be ordered today after some measurements.

A lady at SWMBOs weaving group has offered the use of an industrial sewing machine, so material for the boat cover needs to be ordered. As the cover is to be on deck, not over boom, the 4 foot width of the boat is easily covered by one width of the material, so I just need a 6 metre length for that . Plus a couple metres for sail covers.

Tying on an overall cover is interesting, the only solution I can think of is to drop the ropes / straps under the hull. I've had eyes on / through / under, the gunnel before but this gunnel is rubber so eyes / loops / hooks are not an option. The bow will be laced, the stern, and mast  a draw string.

Time to get my overalls and get out there.. two weeks and the grass has gone mad, much mowing to be done.

Cover ties always an issue... Thinking right outside the box and some way beyond reason, an experiment for the billionaire might be high strength neodymium magnets built into the topsides and cover, although I suspect there might be a considerable inconvenience factor in having stray metal objects sticking to the boat!

On 10/1/2021 at 4:46 PM, Alan Crawford said:

An interesting Article, White Moth was rescued and mostly restored by a friend of mine, a member of Horning Sailing club.

Sadly he had to sell her during a past recession, to support his hire boat company.. He's now retired and we waved to each other yesterday, as I went to see my motorboat, he was coming the other way from the moorings he still owns.

As for peat cuttings 12-14th century, there are records of peat cutting still going on into the early 1900's, but on a private basis, not for use in the Abbeys / monasteries and not for sale in Norwich.

The Photo of White Moth is taken from the river outside Wroxham Broad, about 4 miles up river from my sailing club.

I'm guessing they've raised sail from their normal mooring in the broad, sailed out of one entrance for the photos and will sail back in the other entrance to the broad, the Wherry is sailing almost due north..

As for my boat.. Nothing doing this weekend, although a lot of parts I've ordered came in particularly dyneema and a set of jammers.

Saturday, I spent at the RAF R.A.D.A.R. Museum where they were very happy to receive a lot of the radar notes / drawings/ picture / circuit diagrams for the AI24 Foxhunter radar on which I used to teach. 

It was a friends of the museum annual get together and was very enjoyable, it's a good visit, a few hundred yards from Horning on the Norfolk Broads should anyone go there..

https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

I'm intending to volunteer there, when I retire.

Sunday was emergency work on the house, a blocked sewer pipe to the septic tank, and mice in the pantry.. The mice in the pantry had eaten their way through the ceiling, having climbed the brick wall and eaten their way through the facia board first...

More permanent work on both will have to be carried out next weekend..

Well Saturday I fixed the mouse hole into the pantry by filling it with Mortar. That went well..

Then to extract the broken drain rods with scraper on the far end, I'd bought a tool that does the job and it did, it even found a very old wooden drain rod I didn't know was down there. Once extracted there was a big gurgle and the contents of the system disappeared down the pipe.

Unfortunately my back went badly during this , nothing more could be done that day and I've had to be careful today.

When..

One hatch was painted on top, and will still need another coat, one end of two other hatches were painted.

Then I sat in the boat with cam cleat, some hardwood wedges, a bit of string and a pencil. After trying various positions I worked out where they would go and the shape needed for the wedge sides.

Six sets of wedges were carved and sanded to shape, then varnished, the foredeck hatch and the forward registration number board were also varnished again.

Next year I might be able to compete in this in my own boat, But this year..

Start time around 10:00 Horning,

To a buoy Between the Dyke to Eastwoods and Acle Bridge.

To a buoy Between Womack Dyke and Potter Heigham Bridge,

And return to Horning, In light weather the start is often moved down to Horning waterworks..

Races are shortened to finish, with time to be lowed back to Horning before before sunset.

81176be735f84b94a49f7a4d3daad07c-0001-e1633095794169.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I had a long weekend off, but that didn't mean more time on the boat.. Sadly we've reached the age where friends start dropping off their perch.. The Black suit will be worn increasingly often.. This time a friend of SWMBO, the lady who died's  Husband died last year, and her son is seriously ill and was accompanied to the funeral by two nurses..

So over the weekend. 

Drilled holes through cockpit sides, for jib sheets, and jib furler lines,then sanded and painted. Might require more painting.
Also drilled sanded and painted holes to mount rear view mirrors.

Rigged steering controls found a problem which requires a longer tiller arm, made fixed on, but requires nuts for the bolts not yet finished.
Varnished forward hatch, boat number board and cleat wedges..

A couple of pictures.
Hatches loosely in place the nearest stays with the boat when sailing.

IMG_20211017_131705_2.jpg.e610dc62dff7ad07197a43b97049ea84.jpg

A general view of, cleats mounted on wedges, a rear view mirror, the forward hatch, the forward number board, and one of the turning blocks for the jib sheets. They're sat on or leaning against the box I use to hold small bits to be used on the boat so they don't go and hide..

IMG_20211017_131705_1.jpg

2 hours ago, GBR2083 said:

When are you fitting reversing light and hazard lights?

I've got a hazard light.... but only use it on the rescue boat.. (it gives the hire boats some clue as not to get in our way..) I could put a flasher in the port and starboard lights to give the tourists what I'm doing next.:D..

All sailing boats show the white reversing light at the back at night:P even if they're going forward...

if you haven't read the rest of the long thread, I'm sat facing forward in the helms seat, therefore can't see what the other boats are doing behind me... or at least I hope they're behind me..

23 minutes ago, The Q said:

I've got a hazard light.... but only use it on the rescue boat.. (it gives the hire boats some clue as not to get in our way..) I could put a flasher in the port and starboard lights to give the tourists what I'm doing next.:D..

All sailing boats show the white reversing light at the back at night:P even if they're going forward...

if you haven't read the rest of the long thread, I'm sat facing forward in the helms seat, therefore can't see what the other boats are doing behind me... or at least I hope they're behind me..

Who cares what happens behind you!

FB- Doug

Me.. There uncontrolled exocet missles behind me, AKA tourist hire boats, who could do anything.. and boats manouvering to take my wind... one of the reasons I am interested in making  Blue Moon go very high to windward..

Well I went down to the sailing club to see the start of the Tri icycle race, and didn't see it.

48 entries which is very good, from an" OK dinghy " being the smallest up to a 40 foot broads sailing cruiser the biggest.

The wind being in an awkward direction they moved the start two or three miles down river.

I did chat to a Ex RAF warrant officer, who was that rank when I joined up. He taught me to sail over 40 years ago, he must be around 90 now and still active...

Boat work.. not a lot, problems with the steering gear, it's harder to turn one way that the other. So the time I did spend was on making a Tufnol washer, 42mm inside diameter,to go under the rudder head. That's installed , but the rudder head needs a little more modification to re-fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Tufnol Washer did it's stuff and I moved the mounting points for the turning blocks to get a better angle..

The rudder /Steering  now works well... Except.. Fully over it locks up, and it also locks up if you make the ropes tight, so there is a lot of slack in the system not good for accurate steering.. So there is no way round it but I'm going to have to make a steering quadrant., I was trying to avoid that, as when I build the next rudder it will need a different quadrant..

So during this week I'll draw it up, it will be made of at least 3 layers of ply..

Other than that the holes through the Cockpit sides  and surrounding areas were sanded and a second coat of paint applied.. If it looks ok, next week the jib cleats and mirrors will be mounted.. and I might treat you to another picture..

Only a small amount of work this weekend, yesterday I swapped sections of my model railway at the model railway club. So today I unloaded the returning section from the trailer, but had major problems when the jockey wheel fell off the trailer, I'd lowered it too far..

Therefore all that got done was 4 cleats , the foredeck mooring eye and the mirrors were fitted, plus a little touching up of paint work.

Tomorrow I shall be at the sailing club to lower the flags for Remembrance Sunday, after that I shall winterise the motor boat, on the way back I shall visit the model railway club, as I want to move my sections of my layout around for better access, without disturbing others..

A picture..

IMG_20211113_121907.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I've had a complete redesign of the tiller head, a temporary version was lashed up , and it works... No more locking up I can steer easily from either control no problem.

Instead of a tiller arrangement attached to the control strings there is a cross bar.

Each string goes forward from the cross bar, crosses from side to side of the boat to a block, which redirects the string to the control levers.

This took several hours including grovelling around on the bottom a very small boat to rearrange it all..

So next weeks task, change the temporary system to a permanent one,

It needs a spacer between the cross bar and the tufnol washer.

The cross bar could do with a little reinforcement,

The crossing strings rub against each other.

I've just thought If I get two PTFE tubes covering the strings at the rubbing area, and tape the two at the cross point then that may solve the problem.

Absolutely no work done on the steering this week, with a gale running down the North Sea on Friday / Saturday, the marquee roof was taken down, put over the boat and the boat trussed up like a turkey...

So into the workshop it was with the heater running.... To combat the hail, rain and generally yuk conditions..

I got the angle grinder out and cut a slot in the end of the Jib club tube, the slot was long enough for a sheave  and a bolt at the end of the tube to retain the jib outhaul going over the sheave so it didn't jump off.
 Much trimming till it was right, I'm going to use a dremel, probably next week to tidy up the odd corners the angle grinder couldn't get into..
 A block was selected to donate a sheave, one I made 20 years ago while in Saudi, where on night shift  I had the use of a full mechanical workshop next door to our radar lab.

Then pilot holes were drilled for the pivot point of the Jib Boom and the vang at the fore end of the JIb boom.

I then raided various boxes stored around the place for boat fittings, this has provided horned cleats, cheek blocks,  normal blocks and all the necessary bits and pieces for rigging the boat..

Next week, finish the Jib Club, then hopefully a picture, and start taking down the pipe framework for the Marquee. There's no point putting the roof back on, once the poles are down I'll make preparations for putting the boat on the trailer...

If you've got EVERYthing you need stored up, my hat is off to you. I have a fairly prodigious collection of knick-knacks off boats, old but still good Harken blocks & cleats, and fittings. And a big shed full of all kinds of rope. But I have never managed to completely rig a boat from the collection, always missing some key item.

- DSK

Oh I'm betting somewhere at the end there will be something I need to buy. I too have a large collection of bits and pieces off boats from the last 41 years of sailing.

Very little Harken though, mostly RWO /Allen /Barton.. Most of my sailing has been days sailing very close to the coast  or inland. I couldn't afford, nor did I need, the quality of Harken for that..

Thinking about it there is still one box of bit's I could do with finding, the parts aren't absolutely needed, but it would give me a better choice of things to select from.