Australia: Militant Vegan Demands Neighbor stop BBQ’s

Meat and greet! Militant vegan who took her neighbours to court over their smelly cooking brings in lawyers after 2,000 people vow to attend a community barbecue at HER HOUSE!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7425645/Cilla-Carden-brings-lawyers-2-000-people-vow-barbecue-house.html

More than 2,000 meat lovers have vowed to attend a community barbecue at a militant vegan's home after she took her neighbours to court over their smelly cooking.   

Massage therapist Cilla Carden from Girrawheen, north of Perth, has been locked in a battle with Toan Vu, who lives next door with his wife and children, since late 2018.

She claims she can't go outside and enjoy her garden because all she can smell is fish cooking on the family's barbecue.

Ms Carden took Mr and Mrs Vu to a tribunal in January this year - but the tribunal dismissed all of her claims. 

The barbecue is scheduled for Oct. 19 — and vegans are not welcome, the page says.

Cilla-Carden-Perth.jpg

Carden’s legal battle with her neighbors began last year. Her complaint was tossed out of court earlier this year, and she filed an appeal. The appeal was also rejected in July, but she has vowed to keep fighting.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

our typical barbeque ("churrasco") here in southern brazil. very similar to argentina and uruguay.

Ist that skirte steake?

Posted Images

I think her neighbors will be getting a lot of gifts of steaks and other meat products to cook outdoors in the near future. I personally would set up my smoker to cook a couple of briskets if I could go to Australia.

1 minute ago, Rum Runner said:

I think her neighbors will be getting a lot of gifts of steaks and other meat products to cook outdoors in the near future. I personally would set up my smoker right on the property line to cook a couple of briskets if I could go to Australia.

Improved. :D

• Like 1

Just imagine if she lived near the sea......:rolleyes:

I have a green egg and a dedicated smoker. I'd have both going full time all weekend if I lived next to this piece of work

• Like 1

Some of the vegan activists in this country have just gone super crazy. Staking out farms and intimidating farmers for growing lambs and beef cattle, protesting at saleyards. It's stupid., and no Jeff it's not the pussification of Australia it's just a bunch of minority crazies thinking they can impose their ideology on the majority. They are NOT winning by a looong shot. 

A community BBQ outside this crazy's house sounds like a fantastic idea.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Nice top for a vegan.

If you look, what look like leather pants too... Possibly Naugahyde, but how many poor little Naugahyde's had to die to make that I wonder?

...mad as a cut snake.

29 minutes ago, charisma94 said:

If you look, what look like leather pants too... Possibly Naugahyde, but how many poor little Naugahyde's had to die to make that I wonder?

...mad as a cut snake.

Those would be "Naugas" And they are only found in the Housatonic valley of Connecticut. There's actually a town named for them. It's called "Naugatuck". (I shit you not)

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Those would be "Naugas" And they are only found in the Housatonic valley of Connecticut. There's actually a town named for them. It's called "Naugatuck". (I shit you not)

Well you learn something every day...

But no...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nauga-belgian-velcro-and-other-synthetic-creatures-180964811/

"In case you haven’t figured it out, the Nauga is a fictional creature. Naugahyde is a synthetic leather replacement, trademarked in 1936, while the Nauga was born of a late 1960s advertising campaign, according to Barbara Mikkelson writing for Snopes. 

Maybe a similar family to Drop Bears? Or Bunyips?

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

The slaughter of Baby Naugas for their extra soft skin has brought on many a vegan riot.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

This is the towns major product.

image.png.e19c6fa9efdc330c4d826511e0b84eef.png

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This is the towns major product.

image.png.e19c6fa9efdc330c4d826511e0b84eef.png

When's the last time you saw such a specimen in a new car? Car seats, they're all cloth or leather these days... Fuck, those Nauga's from Naugatuk must be breathing a sigh of relief, or they're extinct maybe?

27 minutes ago, DtM said:

So move away to a country piece of land well away from anyone. Vegan rubbish.

The same fuckers move out of the burbs and then complain about the smells coming from the farm that’s been there generations.

Can we at least bring back slapping, she is a prime candidate. 

2 hours ago, charisma94 said:

When's the last time you saw such a specimen in a new car? Car seats, they're all cloth or leather these days... Fuck, those Nauga's from Naugatuk must be breathing a sigh of relief, or they're extinct maybe?

They went extinct around the same time as the Thesaurus.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

The same fuckers move out of the burbs and then complain about the smells coming from the farm that’s been there generations.

Or like people who move next to a military base and then complain about the jet noise.

3 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I'm guessing it's more to do with her neighbours heritage than any dietary choices.

Dunno about that. Friend of mine had a GF that was pretty hard-core vegan. I've no problem with that, just that when invited for dinner she asked if any of the cookware had ever been used to cook animal products, if so she'd bring her own cookware. This when we were having vegan/vegetarian (a mix) food for dinner in order to accommodate them (got a lot of friends who are vegetarian to vegan, it isn't a problem for us).

Fortunately she didn't last.

FKT

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Or like people who move next to a military base and then complain about the jet noise.

Reminds me of the Cheers episode where Carla buys a house by the airport and she and Cliff think its haunted... until they realize that the noise is from the planes.

Odd episode, but funny.

11 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Dunno about that. Friend of mine had a GF that was pretty hard-core vegan. I've no problem with that, just that when invited for dinner she asked if any of the cookware had ever been used to cook animal products, if so she'd bring her own cookware. This when we were having vegan/vegetarian (a mix) food for dinner in order to accommodate them (got a lot of friends who are vegetarian to vegan, it isn't a problem for us).

Fortunately she didn't last.

FKT

Jesus, they are worse than muslims needing Halal food and no plate, utensil or cookware that has ever touched pork!!  

4 minutes ago, Windward said:
32 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Reminds me of the Cheers episode where Carla buys a house by the airport and she and Cliff think its haunted... until they realize that the noise is from the planes.

Odd episode, but funny.

Yeah, its happening all over the US.  The problem is, unscrupulous real estate agents take them on the weekends when we're not flying and its seems tranquil and Idyllic.  Then on Monday morning at 7am, the Afterburners are rattling their pictures off the walls.   We had a lot of that happen in the UK when they opened a new housing development literally right under the short approach path of the RAF Lakenheath runway.  Suddenly, we had to fly all kinds of funky patterns that were frankly unsafe in order to accomodate the noise complaints.  If I were the USAF and the RAF, I would have told them - suck it up snowflake, we were here first.

53 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

So far, at any rate, those who take the sweet whistle of a C17 as a comforting lullaby have managed to pacify with little trouble, those who are transplants from outside of a 50 mile radius of Dover AFB. The Longeyelanders and such who voluntarily move next to chicken farms or a poultry processing plant - that's another story.

Meanwhile - we actually have a statute that protects shooting ranges [all what, 3 of them??]  existent for more than X number of years [which means all of them] from noise lawsuits. Still, a certain state hunter ed place can be out of service for the day but the ANG range or the US Postal Sevice range (I shit you not) open for business..... and Fish & Wildlife will still get hate mail for that day from subdivisions with wet paint still on the walls.

A new development was starting across the street from me several years ago  (Never should have been approved, swamp land in a deep ravine, but.....) So just inside my propery line on the long dirt driveway I put up a (if I do say so my self) beautifully painted 4'X8' sign that read "North Branford Hog Rendering Facillity".... Just as prospective buyers were starting to drive up and down the very rural road.... It was up for a week before "someone" stole it. I also got a warning from the town about having an oversized sign on my property....

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yeah, its happening all over the US.  The problem is, unscrupulous real estate agents take them on the weekends when we're not flying and its seems tranquil and Idyllic.  Then on Monday morning at 7am, the Afterburners are rattling their pictures off the walls.   We had a lot of that happen in the UK when they opened a new housing development literally right under the short approach path of the RAF Lakenheath runway.  Suddenly, we had to fly all kinds of funky patterns that were frankly unsafe in order to accomodate the noise complaints.  If I were the USAF and the RAF, I would have told them - suck it up snowflake, we were here first.

People have been moving next to airports and other unpleasant industrial areas and then complaining as long as I can remember.

And that's a long time.

A huge proportion of the human race are selfish fucks.

10 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Jesus, they are worse than muslims needing Halal food and no plate, utensil or cookware that has ever touched pork!!  

what would happen if we loaded up a buttload of flying tankers with liquified bacon grease and sprayed down the middle east...   would everyone leave?

21 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Same as ultra-Orthodox Jews. Friend of mine was a nanny for a not hugely observant Jewish family. When the MIL came to visit she always brought her own tea cup, saucer & spoon.

I've no problems with people doing that sort of thing. I think it's nutz but so what.

The problem I have is twats like this woman insisting that *everyone* follows her demands just so she's not offended. A day long BBQ with a couple spit-roasts of lamb & pork is just the thing to let her know that her fads don't make public policy.

FKT

• Like 2
On 9/5/2019 at 11:29 AM, charisma94 said:

Well you learn something every day...

But no...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nauga-belgian-velcro-and-other-synthetic-creatures-180964811/

"In case you haven’t figured it out, the Nauga is a fictional creature. Naugahyde is a synthetic leather replacement, trademarked in 1936, while the Nauga was born of a late 1960s advertising campaign, according to Barbara Mikkelson writing for Snopes. 

Maybe a similar family to Drop Bears? Or Bunyips?

Not at all. You can't use Drop Bear leather for anything. Even after slicing, tanning, curing, tinting and sewing, the leather retains the maniacal killing instinct.

Holden trialled a  Drop Bear leather seat back in the early 70's. The whole thing was abandoned and hushed up after the seat bit off the test driver's balls and half his ass.  Just getting the Drop Bear skin cost one man killed and another left with horrific wounds.

The problem is to find the line between being a twat, and requesting a reasonable respect of one's living space.

If you replace "BBQ" by "jetskis", do the same arguments still hold? Is it OK to hold a thousand-strong jetski rally in front of a neighbour who complains about the noise?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lima November said:

If you replace "BBQ" by "jetskis", do the same arguments still hold? Is it OK to hold a thousand-strong jetski rally in front of a neighbour who complains about the noise?

NO, because jetskiers are cunts by definition and are not entitled to breathe the same air as the rest of the human race.  If there was ever a case for justifiable genocide, this would be the one exception.  Just saying.

3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

NO, because jetskiers are cunts by definition and are not entitled to breathe the same air as the rest of the human race.  If there was ever a case for justifiable genocide, this would be the one exception.  Just saying.

I gave you a downvote the other day for the pusstralian comment but have given you an upvote for that one :D

The son of our SAG built a big ass house just southeast of the farm. He told me that I needed to shut down my hog operation because it stinks (during spring thaw, it can get pretty ripe with fog and no wind). I said no and he said he'd sue to close it. I went to the Ag extension and spoke to them about it. They basically told me to tel him to go pound sand. It apparently happens a lot and the courts are on your side so long as you were there and zoned ag.

He never sued. He was too busy cheating on his preggo wife and left her right after she had the baby and he named it.

What a dick.

20 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

The son of our SAG built a big ass house just southeast of the farm. He told me that I needed to shut down my hog operation because it stinks (during spring thaw, it can get pretty ripe with fog and no wind). I said no and he said he'd sue to close it. I went to the Ag extension and spoke to them about it. They basically told me to tel him to go pound sand. It apparently happens a lot and the courts are on your side so long as you were there and zoned ag.

He never sued. He was too busy cheating on his preggo wife and left her right after she had the baby and he named it.

What a dick.

Too bad you can't surreptitiously find a way for some of the hog barn cleanings to find their way to his backyard. 

7 hours ago, Lima November said:

The problem is to find the line between being a twat, and requesting a reasonable respect of one's living space.

No - that's different.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, Lima November said:

stop being reasonable

Thing is.... Very few people would object to someone blowing a few obnoxious jet skis out of the water, but you just can't go around shooting peoples Weber kettles, and the steaks are already dead so.....

On 9/6/2019 at 5:37 PM, Lima November said:

Bad analogy.

The correct one would be a person who values peace & quiet buying a place off of a beach where weekend jet ski rallies and racing took place, and *then* trying to get them banned or moved.

In which case, they could just FOAD, they should have known better.

And I'd like to see jet skis have a 364 day open season and bonus points if you can wipe them out before they actually launch.

FKT

You see it all the time.

Buy a multi million dollar home in a hip and renowned "BoHo area then complain to the council about  homeless people, noisy music venues and limited parking.

As for the Vegan lady..yes she's seemingly a twit.

But I havent heard her side.

My mum's neighbors were BBQ'ing 3-6 night per week in the summer. old fashioned charcoal in a back yard no bigger than a handkerchief.

They never cleaned the grill. the smell of burnt oil, burned cabbage and yesterdays fish and the smoke coming directly into mum's house was really awful. the washing on her line had to be continually rewashed to get the smell out.

If it really was that bad (vegan lady) and talking failed, She should have simply left her lawn sprinkler on, sending a gentle patter of water over the fence every 5 seconds...and gone out.

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Bad analogy.

The correct one would be a person who values peace & quiet buying a place off of a beach where weekend jet ski rallies and racing took place, and *then* trying to get them banned or moved.

In which case, they could just FOAD, they should have known better.

And I'd like to see jet skis have a 364 day open season and bonus points if you can wipe them out before they actually launch.

FKT

We call 'em sea fleas in NZ with good reason.........

On 9/5/2019 at 7:35 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

Spent part of my childhood in that area and can remember clearly the low, really low runs they used to do directly over the school field on occasions. We loved it as kids. 

On 9/5/2019 at 2:35 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

I built a few houses down in Colonial Beach VA back in the 80's Dahlgren was still live firing airbursts out over the  Potomac( not sure if they still do or not) . These things would rattle the fillings out of your teeth. We scheduled all our showing according to the published firing schedule

This is really pretty scary shit.

There's a bit of a battle going on between actual militant vegans and farmers.

This woman could find herself burned at the steak.

Jokes aside, people organizing protest BBQ's outside her home could have set off a scenario where she could indeed successfully sue for harassment.

How would you feel if you woke to find thousands of angry meat eaters BBQing and drinking and protesting outside your home with YOU the target,

If the woman had been a bloke, a vegan and a brickie, this would be a nothing story.

The bullying nature of tabloid journalism seemingly still has power to burn witches.

She's obviously a bit of a twit, but I can't find any evidence that she is in fact a "militant" vegan . All these reports are coming from crap tabloids.

However, it seems the event may no longer be going ahead.

More than 24,000 people on Facebook responded to the proposed event outside Cilla Carden’s home, prompting a warning from WA Police. The event page has since been removed.

“As many of you know this event has far too many logistic concerns to actually come to fruition, and we do not condone the harassment of Mrs Carden or the trespass onto her land,” a follow-up post read.

People have instead been urged to donate the money they would spend on a snag to the Drought Angels charity. “BATTLING A DROUGHT IS HARD ENOUGH, without these inner city hipsters running around causing our farmers more losses and stress,” the organiser wrote.

Another organiser for the event confirmed to news.com.au that the event had gathered a lot more publicity than they originally thought and the numbers have become too great for them to handle.

They also noted that Ms Carden had not made any attempt to contact them directly and if she had they would have assured her the event wouldn’t actually be happening.

After the event started gaining traction, Ms Carden’s lawyer Mr Hammond posted a statement to the page warning anyone who attended would face criminal charges.

“Any person who seeks to attend Ms Carden’s property on Saturday October 19, 2019 or at any other time in relation to this event or matter will be referred to the WA Police on the ground of trespass,” he wrote.

“Security cameras will be installed to obtain vision of any person attending the property and the vision will be provided to the police.”

He also added that his client had “no objection to people eating meat and no objection to people having barbecues”.

15 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

She's obviously a bit of a twit, but I can't find any evidence that she is in fact a "militant" vegan .

She's suing her neighbours for having barbecues - WTF would you call militant?

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

She's suing her neighbours for having barbecues - WTF would you call militant?

Shooting your neighbors for having barbecues, then cooking and feeding them to the homeless to hide the evidence.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Now that's a conflict of interest right there

Flexible morality is big these days.....

Showing those pictures to a guy that didn't eat breakfast is just a little insensitive...Beautiful stuff, though!

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Almost as beautiful as the National Cleavage Day thread

One shouldn't mix meat and dairy.

Bravo!   well played sir.   A+

On 9/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, Shortforbob said:

You see it all the time.

Buy a multi million dollar home in a hip and renowned "BoHo area then complain to the council about  homeless people, noisy music venues and limited parking.

As for the Vegan lady..yes she's seemingly a twit.

But I havent heard her side.

My mum's neighbors were BBQ'ing 3-6 night per week in the summer. old fashioned charcoal in a back yard no bigger than a handkerchief.

They never cleaned the grill. the smell of burnt oil, burned cabbage and yesterdays fish and the smoke coming directly into mum's house was really awful. the washing on her line had to be continually rewashed to get the smell out.

If it really was that bad (vegan lady) and talking failed, She should have simply left her lawn sprinkler on, sending a gentle patter of water over the fence every 5 seconds...and gone out.

Struck a bit of a nerve here, nothing but charcoal at my place, for some reason anything but (like gas) feels rather fake, OTOH I'm pretty serious about cleanup, & to her credit the neighbor lady says every time I grill or BBQ I'm killing it (in the good way).

Tomorrow I want to try another teriyaki experiment with thin sliced marinated chicken thigh on a skewer, I heard about using Coke (caffeine free for insomniacs like myself) in the marinade & have been quite pleased with results so far.

image.png.08e0e4b3b735f8d136d6e570015c591f.png

Maple chili glazed cedar planked salmon......    ahhhhhhhhhhh  BBQ.

• Like 1