dive computer

dacapo

over the summer I completed my Advanced Open Water cert and my spouse already has her Master Diver Cert.  We have never owned dive computers. Her Timex and RPD is all she needs...I want to get us both new dive computers...suggestions welcome.

Some criteria : I don;t want (or currently need ) AI on our computers...plain writs watch style is fine.

Replaceable Batteries

dont need a ton of dive trips saved but would be nice

not too bulky (for a watch)

no more than $300-$400 if possible

SkinnyDipper

Vintage scuba diving Orca Skinny Dipper Mark II computer Instructor labeled

A friend invented the SkinnyDipper pretty much on his own and when he tried to get backers to get it to market they gave him a few bucks, patted him on the back and told him that they had built a nice new lab for him to play in and not worry his clever head about the marketing. 

In other words, he got screwed... I'm surprised to see them still available on Ebay.

Interested to hear the results here. Our computers are VERY old....pretty close to first gen and the company is out of business so I'm betting parts are non-existant. I was just contemplating news ones as well. My old ones are console type of course which I really like because the display is so much bigger. Interested in hearing what folks say.

Hows this for an old rig? And its far from my first one............:lol:

IMG_5413.jpg

I'm still diving an Oceanic "hockey puck" nitrox-capable computer from about 17 years ago, it's simple and fine for recreational diving.   Leisure Pro in NYC is a big on-line dealer, several of the Oceanics here in the $300 range could work.  Mine's in a console but wrist is fine too.

Or you could try a used one on line.  It's hard to "break" a computer, generally if it lights up, it works

Or you could go over to Scubapro.com and get way too many recommendations.  

https://www.leisurepro.com/l/Scuba/Oceanic~Computers

6 hours ago, dacapo said:

over the summer I completed my Advanced Open Water cert and my spouse already has her Master Diver Cert.  We have never owned dive computers. Her Timex and RPD is all she needs...I want to get us both new dive computers...suggestions welcome.

Some criteria : I don;t want (or currently need ) AI on our computers...plain writs watch style is fine.

Replaceable Batteries

dont need a ton of dive trips saved but would be nice

not too bulky (for a watch)

no more than $300-$400 if possible

Suunto D4i. I’ve had mine for 10 years now and about 600 dives saved on it. It’s a standard watch style. I wear it around for everyday use. I love it!

I would start by looking at Suunto, find the model that fits your preferences, then look at the other manufacures and see if you can find something better - I doubt it, but you should try.

I think the wife's Suunto Mosquito is about 15 yrs old and still going fine.  I got my Suunto (Zoop?) because it was cheap, easy and did what I needed, and because we have had zero problems with the my wife's Suunto.

YMMV

Archived