Motortrend TV - Wheeler Dealers

billy backstay

I seldom have time to watch the car shows that I like, but just caught an episode where they restored a 42 year old Porsche 924.  I love that fact that it is now primarily focused on the mechanical and labor part of the rebuild, and less on Mike Brewers salesman BS.  But their tally of their total costs at the end  put the 46 hours of labor at about 20 bucks an hour, if I did the math right, which is ridiculous!   They didn't use to include the labor at all, and crowed about making profits, which was even more ridiculous!  Nevertheless,  I really enjoy the technical aspects of the various different cars and their parts being rebuilt....

I saw Ant in the show, For the Love of Cars and enjoyed the segments he was in.  However, I stopped watching Wheeler Dealers after Edd left.  With Ant. the show just isn't the same...

5 hours ago, 2slow said:

I miss Edd.

Naw, I think Ant is every bit as good as Edd, maybe even better....  I may be wrong, but I don't recall Edd doing as much interesting jobs, requiring engineering, fabricating and welding like the short shifter that Ant designed and built for the 924...  OTOH the 3rd spoiler that Edd made for the Ford Focus rallye car, I think it was, was a beautiful piece of hand fabbed body work....  EDIT, Ant is a bit more of a showman than Edd was, but not nearly as over the top as Mike is....

seen Cars that Rock with Brian Johnson?

fun show.

streaming on Motortrend

4 hours ago, QBF said:

I saw Ant in the show, For the Love of Cars and enjoyed the segments he was in.  However, I stopped watching Wheeler Dealers after Edd left.  With Ant. the show just isn't the same...

Video won't play for me?  I learned to drive a stick at 15, in an MG TD, born the same year as me, 1955.....

one of the few addon opps I've put on my roku stick. I think it's 4.99/mo but they've got all the good car shows from the last several years including the entire bbc top gear with Jeromy, Richard and James. Roadkill has become my new favorite thing to watch on tv LOL

4 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

one of the few addon opps I've put on my roku stick. I think it's 4.99/mo but they've got all the good car shows from the last several years including the entire bbc top gear with Jeromy, Richard and James. Roadkill has become my new favorite thing to watch on tv LOL

Roadkill is pretty good!  I also like Texas Metal, Fantomworks, Dave Kindig's show, and the one with the Canadian resto place that I can't remember the name of, and have not seen it lately?

40 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

the one with the Canadian resto place that I can't remember the name of, and have not seen it lately?

Rust Valley Restorers? The old guy with dreads?

If so, he went broke and had to sell the place.

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Naw, I think Ant is every bit as good as Edd, maybe even better....  I may be wrong, but I don't recall Edd doing as much interesting jobs, requiring engineering, fabricating and welding like the short shifter that Ant designed and built for the 924...  OTOH the 3rd spoiler that Edd made for the Ford Focus rallye car, I think it was, was a beautiful piece of hand fabbed body work....  EDIT, Ant is a bit more of a showman than Edd was, but not nearly as over the top as Mike is....

I recall they split because Edd wanted more wrenching and mike and producers did not.  The wrenching is the best part!!!

I prefer the shows that work on Euro or Japanese cars, I just don't give two shits about lowered F-100s or 1957 Bel Airs.

9 hours ago, 2slow said:

I recall they split because Edd wanted more wrenching and mike and producers did not.  The wrenching is the best part!!!

He didn't want more, they wanted less.

14 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Video won't play for me?  I learned to drive a stick at 15, in an MG TD, born the same year as me, 1955.....

It works for me, but it's possible that I see it as I use a VPN set to a non-USA server.

Here is the entire link (unlinked) for you to try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBL6deZs7oE

On 9/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, billy backstay said:

I seldom have time to watch the car shows that I like, but just caught an episode where they restored a 42 year old Porsche 924.  I love that fact that it is now primarily focused on the mechanical and labor part of the rebuild, and less on Mike Brewers salesman BS.  But their tally of their total costs at the end  put the 46 hours of labor at about 20 bucks an hour, if I did the math right, which is ridiculous!   They didn't use to include the labor at all, and crowed about making profits, which was even more ridiculous!  Nevertheless,  I really enjoy the technical aspects of the various different cars and their parts being rebuilt....

Total rebuild for 46 hours? Was the car already very nice? 

Just now watching "Pure Vision - Hand Build Hot Rods" out of Simi Valley.  It's now my favorite of the week!  They restored a Japanese spec Nissan Stout (no typo, it's not a Scout)  truck, to an amazing standard, and it's hard to believe they could easily source all the required parts.  Amazing work!!  

On 9/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, billy backstay said:

It used to drive me nuts how they never included the labor either but I think part of the idea was a, "look, you can do this at home in your spare time, flip a car for fun and make some money"

13 minutes ago, WCB said:

It used to drive me nuts how they never included the labor either but I think part of the idea was a, "look, you can do this at home in your spare time, flip a car for fun and make some money"

Flipping sailboats for fun and profit!     Its all fun in the sun.  The ladies will flock to you in the 48 hrs it takes to restore that 60 ft gem.  80% done? Pftt... we do 101%. Coming soon to a network near you.

Or has this been done a long time ago... I don't get cable.  :-(

On 9/8/2019 at 2:04 PM, billy backstay said:

Roadkill is pretty good!  I also like Texas Metal, Fantomworks, Dave Kindig's show, and the one with the Canadian resto place that I can't remember the name of, and have not seen it lately?

I've enjoyed Fantomworks, and Kindig is very good, but one probably has to write a check for $100.000 to walk in the door.

My new favourite when it is on Motortrend TV is Full Custom Garage with Ian Roussel.

Fantomworks was and is my favorite show. Sad to see that they ended production. If I had a cool old car and a wad of cash, I would find my way to Norfolk and see Dan, show or no show.  Chasing Classic Cars runs a close second

17 hours ago, WCB said:

This is also why I think that Edd generally did repairs which a hobbyist can perform with basic tools, nothing which would require a full garage.

Wheeler Dealers, Mythbusters, American Chopper... that was my dinner entertainment 15 years ago... Good times.

5 hours ago, On The Hard said:

Fantomworks was and is my favorite show. Sad to see that they ended production. If I had a cool old car and a wad of cash, I would find my way to Norfolk and see Dan, show or no show.  Chasing Classic Cars runs a close second

Chasing Classic Cars is great because the cars Wayne is dealing with are pretty much the coolest ones on any of the resto-reality shows.  I also like that British show with the two dudes, one is like an art dealer with a good eye and he has the usual straight-man side kick doing the wrenching.  Cant remember name.

2 hours ago, 2slow said:

Chasing Classic Cars is great because the cars Wayne is dealing with are pretty much the coolest ones on any of the resto-reality shows.  I also like that British show with the two dudes, one is like an art dealer with a good eye and he has the usual straight-man side kick doing the wrenching.  Cant remember name.

Restoration Garage is the other one.  That one has grown on me.  I kind of cringe when there's lots of foul language in shows as they're hard to watch with my two little boys around so Restoration was tough as was Fantomworks.  I had to stop the latter entirely as my wife was giving me side eye.

10 hours ago, WCB said:

Restoration Garage is the other one.  That one has grown on me.  I kind of cringe when there's lots of foul language in shows as they're hard to watch with my two little boys around so Restoration was tough as was Fantomworks.  I had to stop the latter entirely as my wife was giving me side eye.

Tell her that if the boys ever learn to work on their own stuff, that the cussing will follow soon as they discover that wrenches slipping off a nut results in busted knuckles that F*ckin' hurt... 

;-) 

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

At least Fantomworks bleeps out the swear works,

Just as well - Dan swears like a woman - kinda weird for an ex-Marine but he just doesn't use the right curse words at the right time.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Just as well - Dan swears like a woman - kinda weird for an ex-Marine but he just doesn't use the right curse words at the right time.

What do you expect, he was probably raised by a Southern Belle.....

1 hour ago, NaptimeAgain said:

The manufactured drama of most "reality" shows bores me to crap so I avoid those.  Agree CCC is interesting.

I sold Wayne a Classic Mini Cooper S MkI Rallye replica I imported from England.  It had a lot of problems, so I don't know if he made much on it.  This was long before CCC.  I saw the exact same mini in a driveway or garage on Sullivan Island off Charleston, when we were staying just down the road in our Son-in-laws family home overlooking Fort Sumter and the ships coming an going into and out of the port.  Spoke with the car owners wife, they bought it from the guy that bought it from Carini.  Small world, indeed!!  I also went to Waynes garage, F40 Motorsports in Portland one day, with a fried so he could test drive a Ferrari.  

Goblin Works because Helen is is smokin'.  Also, cars are more interesting to me than lowered American 60's iron or the like.  Watching one now where they are turning a 74 volvo 245 wagon into a beastly sleeper.

9 hours ago, 2slow said:

Goblin Works because Helen is is smokin'.  Also, cars are more interesting to me than lowered American 60's iron or the like.  Watching one now where they are turning a 74 volvo 245 wagon into a beastly sleeper.

Yes, Goblin Works does some over the top stuff!  I loved the moving louvered grill on the Mini they did a resto-mod on.....  But, I'm partial to Minis! :)

11 hours ago, 2slow said:

That reminds me of one of the very successful LSR competitors that campaigned at the same time we were:  They had a Volvo 240, street legal, w/a 383 CI SBC and they were running 170s with it.   I'll look for pics/writeup and share if I can find it. 

13 hours ago, 2slow said:

But Goblin works was all fabricated drama. They also claimed to get a great deal on a beater 240Z at $10k and they caught crap for that as it was the highest price ever paid. 

Archived