Shave..electric vs razor

Yo !

I've always used a razor and like everything about the cut, however I am retired now and don't shave everyday like I used to. My stubble is not near a tough and dense as it was when I was young, I tired electric many years ago, like 50,  but didn't like the burn /abrasive feel. So with 50 years of advancement has the burn/abrasive feel improved and can you comfortably dry shave with electric ? Thoughts and recommendations.....

I have a newer electric and it works reasonably well, but still not as clean as a razor.   Definitely good for that day-between quick shave and it is comfortable without chafing/abrasion.  

Mine's a Norelco, but only because it was on sale....

Do you want a close shave or are you okay with groomed stubble? If you like a close shave, nothing will beat a blade. If you want groomed stubble, get yourself a good set of clippers like a Wahl T-head. No irritation and a well-groomed look. IMHO, electric shavers live in the uncanny valley between these two: not close enough to be satisfying and not as easy as running a set of clippers over your face.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

Sharks would follow the boat when I used a razor , so I went electric and their gone?

I used these ( not this brand ) until the double edge razors came out.....they could peel you if you were not careful....doesn't sound like the electric razors  can give the clean shave I am accustomed to

raaz.jpg

No way can an electric give you a proper shave - how can it if the blade doesn't touch your skin?

I tried a cut throat shave at a barbers once and it was no closer than an electric.

I've used every blade imaginable - right up to those ridiculous 4 & 5 blade things and I get the best shave from the cheapest Gillette twin blade disposables.

The real trick to getting a babies bottom shave is to go against the grain. Do it in the shower so the steam can soften things up first.

Doing it that way I only have to shave twice a week.

I shave every day...well almost. Usually one of those 5 blade monstrosities, but they do get close!  I have an electric for those days where I don't shave first thing in the morning. It's not a great shave, but it does OK and makes shaving the next day a lot less painful than shaving a two day growth

Keep a razor, double, triple,...quintuple in the shower. Soap amd Scrape your face while you are rinsing. Easy peasy, trim the sideburn line every other day. 

If you are ambidextrous you can soap yer balls and shave at the same time :lol:

While on chemo, my doc made me swear off blades.  Something about being susceptible to a fatal infection from as little as a paper cut was the comment , as I  recall.  I bought a cheap Norelco triple head and it did "OK" for what little hair grew during that time and i still use it for a quick touch up when I skip shaving on a weekend and SWMBO wants the stubble gone so I look less like an old rummy before we go out to dinner.  With the electric, I end up with a "5 o'clock shadow" before noon.   For daily shaving, I use a blade. 

I use a Norelco type, 3 wheel bladed, electric with Lectra Shave lubricant, never had any burn whatsoever.  Then, I often follow up with a careful dry shave with a cheap plastic double bladed disposable, to get the spots that the Norelco didn't do close enough.   When I want a smooth clean shave, I just use the same plastic disposable, with Pears glycerin soap lather,  instead of shaving cream. Easy-peasy.....

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

No way can an electric give you a proper shave - how can it if the blade doesn't touch your skin?

I tried a cut throat shave at a barbers once and it was no closer than an electric.

I've used every blade imaginable - right up to those ridiculous 4 & 5 blade things and I get the best shave from the cheapest Gillette twin blade disposables.

The real trick to getting a babies bottom shave is to go against the grain. Do it in the shower so the steam can soften things up first.

Doing it that way I only have to shave twice a week.

safety razor and a good cream. Proraso is my fav, Creamo is also good.

I used Japanese feather brand blades. But a hundred and it's $.30 a blade, I change blades Sundays and Wednesdays

Close shave, no ingrown hairs, doesn't really pull if I go a few days between (unlike a multi-blade thing)

you will get a few nicks learning, so get a styptic pen

Shave in or after the shower.

Really, all other options are silly and expensive and don't give as nice of results.

A nice, heavy razor is a one-time $40. Lasts forever.

Those 5-blade things are just a way for you to spend $5/week for less results.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

safety razor and a good cream. Proraso is my fav, Creamo is also good.

I started shaving before disposables appeared. I never had so many nicks & cuts as I did with "safety razors".

They should have been relegated to the dustbin of history several decades ago.

A cheap twin blade disposable lasts me at least 6 weeks the way I shave - I swap them out when the strip of lubricant starts looking raggedy.

8 hours ago, garuda3 said:

Sharks would follow the boat when I used a razor 

This has been my experience as well.  I've tried to use a blade, but I alway end up cutting myself to pieces, so I settle for the electric razors.  

Fortunately I have a full beard, so there less face I have to shave.  On the other hand, I shave my head, so there still quite a lot of skin to cover.  

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A cheap twin blade disposable lasts me at least 6 weeks the way I shave - I swap them out when the strip of lubricant starts looking raggedy.

Exactly the same for me.  I then keep that blade for shaving the back of my neck weekly or so.  Rinse, repeat.

Tried electric, hated it.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It makes mine tingle.

They itch later because it doesn't shave close enough.

She, on the other hand, says she prefers electric for her minge trim. Something about Hummin'

5 hours ago, chester said:

i'm amazed how many shaving threads have been started in GA over the years!

threads .........meh

there's whole forums devoted to the subject .

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ppV5XbK_KND39QP6g4n4BQ&q=shaving+forum&oq=shaving+forum&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l3j0i22i30l7.45331.532501..533343...0.1..0.270.2586.4j13j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i71j0i131j0i67j0i10.rAX9_Fu2CLo&ved=0ahUKEwiyqvndh8rkAhXQe30KHfpBAl8Q4dUDCAs&uact=5

and yes , electric is a poor imitation of a shave at best .

22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Bingo. 

I feel a tiny bit bad about throwing 8 of them away each year, but that is a tiny bit bad.  

So......40 safety razor blades (the ones I currently use) are $7. When I shaved every day I went through about 1 blade a week. Now a blade lasts longer because I don’t shave every day. A lot really depends on toughness of your beard and how sensitive your skin is so I don’t know that there is any one best way. The double edge safety razor blades are very economical for me. The electric (and I have a pretty top line one - supposedly) just doesn’t give a close shave at all. Only good for quick no frills shave in between razor shaves.

of course YMMV

https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Superior-Platinum-Double-Safety/dp/B0727KW2BC/ref=asc_df_B0727KW2BC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312136887781&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2343554718536465109&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031543&hvtargid=pla-570814636224&psc=1

Electric shavers just pull the hairs out, and cause a rash, on my face. I used to use a double edge safety razor, and I still believe that gave the closest shave, but somewhere it got lost, so now I use a "Free" turbo max 5 by somebodyorother, that I got in the mail, and the fucking inserts cost about 5 bucks apiece. Needless to say, I keep them until they draw blood.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

So......40 safety razor blades (the ones I currently use) are $7. When I shaved every day I went through about 1 blade a week. Now a blade lasts longer because I don’t shave every day. A lot really depends on toughness of your beard and how sensitive your skin is so I don’t know that there is any one best way. The double edge safety razor blades are very economical for me. The electric (and I have a pretty top line one - supposedly) just doesn’t give a close shave at all. Only good for quick no frills shave in between razor shaves.

of course YMMV

https://www.amazon.com/Astra-Superior-Platinum-Double-Safety/dp/B0727KW2BC/ref=asc_df_B0727KW2BC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312136887781&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2343554718536465109&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031543&hvtargid=pla-570814636224&psc=1

Back in the day...way back..old metal medicine cabinets used to have a little slot in the back to drop a dull double-edge razor blade through.  The blade fell into the stud space in the wood framing.  I learned about it when I was doing some rehab on an old house and tore out the bathroom lavatory and opened up the wall to get at the plumbing.   The stud space was filled maybe 18" deep with rusty razor blades.  That became a very careful bit of demolition.

12 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Back in the day...way back..old metal medicine cabinets used to have a little slot in the back to drop a dull double-edge razor blade through.  The blade fell into the stud space in the wood framing.  I learned about it when I was doing some rehab on an old house and tore out the bathroom lavatory and opened up the wall to get at the plumbing.   The stud space was filled maybe 18" deep with rusty razor blades.  That became a very careful bit of demolition.

Yep, I had the same experience when I remodeled our bathroom in our house built in 1958. I dispose of my used blades in a used medium sized medicine container. The blades are so small/thin, I have yet to have to dispose of that bottle....it’s about 1/2 full is all. 

On 9/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

While on chemo, my doc made me swear off blades.  Something about being susceptible to a fatal infection from as little as a paper cut was the comment , as I  recall.  I bought a cheap Norelco triple head and it did "OK" for what little hair grew during that time and i still use it for a quick touch up when I skip shaving on a weekend and SWMBO wants the stubble gone so I look less like an old rummy before we go out to dinner.  With the electric, I end up with a "5 o'clock shadow" before noon.   For daily shaving, I use a blade. 

Part of it is the "cheap norelco" problem.

A higher quality electric razor does a better, closer shave. A lot of people make the "I'll buy a cheap electric razor to see if I like it" mistake. And they buy a cheap one, it sucks, and they hate electric razors. Been there, done that. It took me 15 years to try another one.

As a work-dodging slacker on a boat, I've avoided shaving routinely for years. My wife hates that. I *hate* shaving, and avoid it. I used to avoid it anyway.

A 9000 series Phillips-Norelco made all the difference. This isn't the $60 crap rechargeable shaver you can buy at CVS. We spent about $300 AUD on it in a shave shop that carried the full range from Braun, Phillips, etc. It will cost you close to $2-300, depending on which one you get. The heads are a LOT more mobile, the blades are better, etc. etc.  It really is wet/dry, you can use it in the shower. Wet helps.

Also, use shave oil (for your face) with it, it makes a huge difference. Don't use alcohol based stuff like 'Lectric Shave, you want soap, oil, or something more slippery. The better quality ones you can use with shaving cream if you want to, it won't hurt them if you rinse them out later.

The optional self cleaning tank thing looks like a waste of money and a new excuse to buy a consumable. They may work great, but I don't have space and plugs for it and they seemed sort of silly when you look past what they do. A can of spray razor/clipper oil and a thorough rinse with hot water does a nice cleanup. Also replace the blades once a year or so, it makes a huge difference and is worth the cost.

This is a piece of shit that will give you a crappy shave for a lot of reasons, from the relative immobility of the heads to the poor razor/screen design:

image.png.65725155c2eac2ca15ecd776881c34f0.png

This gives you a MUCH, MUCH better shave, and closer. The heads all float independently and contour to your face. You can get a near razor smooth shave easily, with little fuss. They have the 7000/8000/9000 series which all look similar. The 9000s have more motion to how the heads and blades move than the 8000s, 8000s more than 7000s, and so on. The higher end ones are self sharpening. You get what you pay for.

image.png.715cda99cccf315f4bf5b0c5ef07827a.png

Does my shave match a fussy, bloody razor shave with a stupid expensive razor cartridge? Probably not, no. Naked blades are tough to beat. Is it pretty close to one? Yes, it is. It keeps my wife happy in terms of the smoothness and feel of my face and I look as clean shaven as someone with a blade does.

YMMV, I'm not a hairy person and couldn't grow an ironic, massive hipster beard if my life depended on it. I don't get a five o'clock shadow until I wake up the next day.

I'll stick to my Trac II...I go about 4 weeks between swapping blades, which IMO  don't hold their edge as long as they used to, poorer quality metal is my guess. As I was shaving in the shower this morning I was reminded of the time I had to used a Delta Airline ditty bag razor after they lost all my baggage and those thing are tortuous !...feels like they grip and pull the whiskers , making a pissed off situation even worse ….even though there are a few positive comments on electric shavers , it sounds like they are basically  the same over all these years  as far as closeness goes

I started off with the old safety razor.. Safety?

Then moved onto an electric for some years..

Then.. one morning got out of the boat to head for the Showers, the phillps electric escaped...

splash...

bought another one..

A week later....

splash..

Went over to twin blade supermarket razors..

I have a heavy beard, but my dad used an electric (Remington; I think because they were a local company way back when), so that's what I used when I started to shave.  But once I went to college and all my friends used blades (the double-edge disposables), so did I.  They clearly shaved much closer than the electric.  But it was a bloody affair.  I would have to shave before I showered so the wounds could heal under water.  And as Jon B says, it had to be against the grain, or there was no point to it.

Eventually, I decided to go back to electric for the convenience.  Out of habit, I went with a Remington or Remington-style shaver.  But at some point, I decided to try a Norelco.  Clearly a better performing choice.  I've stuck with Norelco now for at least 10 years.  Since my beard has gone gray, I don't need a blade-close shave to look neat anymore.  One of the few advantages of aging...

18 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

Since my beard has gone gray, I don't need a blade-close shave to look neat anymore.  One of the few advantages of aging...

Could be one reason it works for me. That, and my lack of shaggy-bearness.

14 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Part of it is the "cheap norelco" problem.

A higher quality electric razor does a better, closer shave. A lot of people make the "I'll buy a cheap electric razor to see if I like it" mistake. And they buy a cheap one, it sucks, and they hate electric razors. Been there, done that. It took me 15 years to try another one.

As a work-dodging slacker on a boat, I've avoided shaving routinely for years. My wife hates that. I *hate* shaving, and avoid it. I used to avoid it anyway.

A 9000 series Phillips-Norelco made all the difference. This isn't the $60 crap rechargeable shaver you can buy at CVS. We spent about $300 AUD on it in a shave shop that carried the full range from Braun, Phillips, etc. It will cost you close to $2-300, depending on which one you get. The heads are a LOT more mobile, the blades are better, etc. etc.  It really is wet/dry, you can use it in the shower. Wet helps.

Also, use shave oil (for your face) with it, it makes a huge difference. Don't use alcohol based stuff like 'Lectric Shave, you want soap, oil, or something more slippery. The better quality ones you can use with shaving cream if you want to, it won't hurt them if you rinse them out later.

The optional self cleaning tank thing looks like a waste of money and a new excuse to buy a consumable. They may work great, but I don't have space and plugs for it and they seemed sort of silly when you look past what they do. A can of spray razor/clipper oil and a thorough rinse with hot water does a nice cleanup. Also replace the blades once a year or so, it makes a huge difference and is worth the cost.

This is a piece of shit that will give you a crappy shave for a lot of reasons, from the relative immobility of the heads to the poor razor/screen design:

image.png.65725155c2eac2ca15ecd776881c34f0.png

This gives you a MUCH, MUCH better shave, and closer. The heads all float independently and contour to your face. You can get a near razor smooth shave easily, with little fuss. They have the 7000/8000/9000 series which all look similar. The 9000s have more motion to how the heads and blades move than the 8000s, 8000s more than 7000s, and so on. The higher end ones are self sharpening. You get what you pay for.

image.png.715cda99cccf315f4bf5b0c5ef07827a.png

Does my shave match a fussy, bloody razor shave with a stupid expensive razor cartridge? Probably not, no. Naked blades are tough to beat. Is it pretty close to one? Yes, it is. It keeps my wife happy in terms of the smoothness and feel of my face and I look as clean shaven as someone with a blade does.

YMMV, I'm not a hairy person and couldn't grow an ironic, massive hipster beard if my life depended on it. I don't get a five o'clock shadow until I wake up the next day.

No doubt the higher end models shave better but once you decide to start using it in the shower, using lubricants, etc, I figure I might as well just keep shaving with a blade, using foam, in the shower as I currently do. The incremental effort is minimal and the shave is reliably close. To me, the value proposition of an electric shaver is to get a good shave without having to resort to all the same shit I do with a blade.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IStream said:

No doubt the higher end models shave better but once you decide to start using it in the shower, using lubricants, etc, I figure I might as well just keep shaving with a blade, using foam, in the shower as I currently do. The incremental effort is minimal and the shave is reliably close. To me, the value proposition of an electric shaver is to get a good shave without having to resort to all the same shit I do with a blade.

True. I live on a boat...there's no shower shaving for me. But some like that.

I just use a little shave oil.

I use a Phillips Norelco 3 head electric razor that works for me.  I have a severe case of Essential Tremor (Familia Tremor).  You don't want me using a straight razor, I will bleed on you.  After a martini or two, I can make it work, and know that the tremor is not Parkinson's.  I found that I could buy a new razor with replacement heads at Costco cheaper than I could buy replacement heads for my old razor.  Damn, I hate shaving, testosterone is an evil force.

I use a norelco like you have pictured above but i dont have a very tough beard. I have to shave everyday with the electric but if I use a razor I can go maybe three days in between shaving.  I use a razor when there is a special event, wedding, anniversary dinner etc. It is just s better shave 

17 hours ago, austin1972 said:

I gave up and just use a #4 on a Wahl clipper, then guard-free for my neck. Good enough. It makes clam chowder kinda hard to eat.

Same, but guard-free for everything.

Twenty-some years of scraping the barbed wire off of my face with an assortment of electrics, single-edged blades, disposable blades, double-edged blades, triple blades, lubricating blades, Remington electric, Norelco, a Russian electric razor that had a cheap motor and drivetrain but impossibly high quality tool steel in the blade, along with oils, creams, lotions, assorted soaps ... they all left me feeling like I just got out of a fight with an alley cat. My face was so raw that it attracted bees.

Now I get as close as I can once-a-week with a trimmer, wash the barbed wire clippings down the sink, and it's good enough.