Minitransat 2019

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All twelve of us.

https://www.minitransat.fr/en media is under library in menu; https://www.minitransat.fr/en/library tracker; NA yet; geovoile,  (my personal preference) https://www.minitransat.fr/en/foll

90 minis makes for 585 meters loa of Classe Mini. 30 Vendee globe  Imoca =  548.4 meters of loa. Just a useless fact.  

Posted Images

Looks like Marie is racing again! Cool how everyone chipped in to help...

Marie Gendron well supported back on dry land 
The pontoons of the Vela Latina are a hive of activity in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria with lots of willing volunteers to help out Marie Gendron. Once again, the unconditional solidarity or ‘Mini spirit’ is in full swing. A native of France’s Loire-Atlantique region, she’s notably counting on the support and assistance of a number of former Mini sailors as well some locals, who have made themselves available to lend a helping hand on her boat. The repairs to her keel fairing and spinnaker pole are progressing well and she should make it back out onto the racetrack this evening.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2019 at 11:55 PM, troll99 said:

im happy to see that.. In all previous races it wasnt that great. 

Do you know who are the other Vector in that race ? And the "maxi 6.50" (from Raison)

Is there an excel file for the series participants somewhere ?

Les scow de série dans le match

Les concurrents naviguant sur des bateaux de série à étrave ronde profitent de conditions propices à leurs montures pour occuper les avant-postes. Keni Piperol, Paul Cloarec et Guillaume Quilfen (977) sont dans le top 10. Il faut aussi surveiller l’option Sud de Florian Quenot, très rapide depuis le départ de Las Palmas. C’est d’ailleurs lui qui a parcouru la plus grande distance sur le fond (proto et série confondus), avec 608 milles avalés depuis le départ (à 17h aujourd’hui).

https://www.adonnante.com/48525-course-au-large-borninmini-mini-transat-2019-le-grand-echiquier/

Piperol : vector 

Cloarec : maxi 650

Quilfen : maxi 650

Quenot : maxi 650

Lacey : maxi 650

Dijoud : maxi

Oulhen : vector (but did not start, elbow injury before the start))

Piperol is the only one racing with a vector ?

edit : Rondon also has a vector.

• Like 1

Florian Quenot (946) made the most of the conditions last night to shatter the record for the greatest distance covered in 24 hours on a production Mini 6.50: 291.47 miles at an average speed of 12.1 knots. 

• Like 3

Jambou now a lead of around 5 hours, damn that Raison scow thingy really leads the way again.
As it does lead too in the C40 transat Jacques Vabre.
Good for Raison as old mini sailor with a few whacky ideas.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:17 AM, yl75 said:

Do you know who are the other Vector in that race ? And the "maxi 6.50" (from Raison)

Is there an excel file for the series participants somewhere ?

histoiresdeshalfs is a great website. you can see numbers for each model.. browse a bit below

http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des Minis/Bertrand Vector.htm

http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des Minis/Maxi 650.htm

• Like 2
4 hours ago, LeoV said:

Jambou now a lead of around 5 hours, damn that Raison scow thingy really leads the way again.
As it does lead too in the C40 transat Jacques Vabre.
Good for Raison as old mini sailor with a few whacky ideas.

i think Pogo Foiler can be much faster than its skipper currently. He chooses weird trajectories.. maybe he looks for most optimal settings for reaching/top speed. 

I recall Lipinski said he wouldnt be worried about his former boat in this transat edition. And he is right. Already 70 nm ahead. 

• Like 1

Funny to see that the Verdier Pogo3 is in the front of the Verdier foiler from the same yard :)

Which by the way have new plans as they just bought a very big piece of land.
https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne/combrit-29120/combrit-le-chantier-pogo-structures-le-vent-en-poupe-6277437

Within a few weeks, Pogo Structures will be launching a new prototype, the Pogo Foiler, for the Mini Transat with foils to fly the boat. A new building will also be built to enable the company to continue its development, supplemented by the purchase of 12,000 m² of land reserve from the Community of Municipalities, to prepare for the future, by giving the site more space for possible construction.

• Like 1

Love how the photo is just a hull with a hole... The best part of their announcements for the PogoFoiler was the video of the telescoping canting keel in my eyes, so smooth.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, troll99 said:

I recall Lipinski said he wouldnt be worried about his former boat in this transat edition. And he is right. Already 70 nm ahead.

Noted a mention on the TJV site  . . 

IAN LIPINSKI (FRANCE), CRÉDIT MUTUEL (CLASS40) 07 November 2019 - 14h07

[snipped]

Yesterday, we crossed paths with a Mini, we talked with them, it was really nice, Adrien and I recalled some stories of our time in them (Minis)! It's my old boat in the lead, it doesn’t surprise me, it's a really an incredible boat!"

https://www.transatjacquesvabre.org/en/news/newswire/1800/skipper-s-log-ian-lipinski-france-credit-mutuel-class40

• Like 1

Yep, best ever performance of a production boat in the Transatlantic  I can remember. They are no halfway. If Jambou gets into trouble we get the confusing fact that a prod is faster :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LeoV said:

Yep, best ever performance of a production boat in the Transatlantic  I can remember. They are no halfway. If Jambou gets into trouble we get the confusing fact that a prod is faster :)

And then the question is, if Ambrogio ends up first, will he get the two titles? I don't see why he would not. 

Do you remember the best overall ranking of the first production boat? 

His boat is not a prototype, it's not a Line Honours / Handicap battle... He will get top series boat unless something goes wrong (touches wood) but there is no "first overall"

Although I'm sure there'll be one heck of a celebration if he beats maximum.. 

6 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

His boat is not a prototype, it's not a Line Honours / Handicap battle... He will get top series boat unless something goes wrong (touches wood) but there is no "first overall"

OK, but all series boats also fit the proto class criterias, (and in fact they compete in the proto class until some miles covered for each new model or something, before they get registered as series boat), so why Ambrogio would not win the proto title if he arrives first? 

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

OK, but all series boats also fit the proto class criterias, (and in fact they compete in the proto class until some miles covered for each new model or something, before they get registered as series boat), so why Ambrogio would not win the proto title if he arrives first? 

Because he is in the series class. Like I said, its not handicapping, you are in one or the other, never both.

New series boats are considered proto's until they have 10 of them with a certain number measured properly.

I know it's not an handicap based  battle, it's two races with a common start and a common finish, under two box rules, one box being part of (or within) the other.

The point is if one of the participant under the smaller box wins overall, calling the winner of the "bigger" box the winner will be a bit tough.

31 minutes ago, yl75 said:

The point is if one of the participant under the smaller box wins overall, calling the winner of the "bigger" box the winner will be a bit tough.

Tough sure, but when a IRC DIV 2 boat wins overall, the IRC DIV 1 one winner is still the DIV 1 winner. Same here. He will win the series division. A proto will win the Proto division, there just isn't an overall winner.

Quite different as in the case of IRC DIV 2 and DIV 1, DIV 1 are typically bigger/longer boats, whereas here it is not the case.

But from an "administrative" point of view, for sure it is.

There will be maybe 3 prices :), you never know.
I do not know the freedom the CM has in this. Will be probably as Jon says, two race classes to prices of winner in each.

But Jambou will win, he is doing a stellar race. And that for a ski instructor...

5 hours ago, yl75 said:

I know it's not an handicap based  battle, it's two races with a common start and a common finish, under two box rules, one box being part of (or within) the other.

There's plenty of older protos that are less powerful than Pogo 3s or Maxi 650s. I don't view the two classes as being "results" focused - but just different. 

-2t6sBHa_x96.png

[

] Rolling with the punches after a selective first week at sea

Jambou and Beccaria still lead

Their arrivals are estimated from Thursday 14th nov.

A violent wind with 28 to 35 knots is sweeping across the fleet

A variety of damage

http://bit.ly/MT2Day7

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Miffy said:

There's plenty of older protos that are less powerful than Pogo 3s or Maxi 650s. I don't view the two classes as being "results" focused - but just different. 

Protos take a lot of time to improve, fix. Also most skippers sail Transat once, rarely more than that. So it is up to skipper skills. On other hand, skippers of series boats focus on sailing aspects and the usual maintenance.

22 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

some talk of various bulkhead around the Pintle attachment area . ...  whether boxing and a  small twist hatch for access or a full bulkhead but broken by the escape hatch  access ...?

do you mean "wetbox" around rudder attachments so it wont leak further into hull if rudder broken? 

I dont understand the rules of Series which forbid collapsible rudder attachments which is better option. We see OFNI more often and we get broken rudders. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, huey 2 said:

-2t6sBHa_x96.png

[

] Rolling with the punches after a selective first week at sea

Jambou and Beccaria still lead

Their arrivals are estimated from Thursday 14th nov.

A violent wind with 28 to 35 knots is sweeping across the fleet

A variety of damage

http://bit.ly/MT2Day7

Rudder problems for many skippers. Not surprising...

But Ambrogia is beating Axel......only 55 miles behind Francois . 990 miles and Ambrogia is 1045 .   but a heavier boat and less sail area so when it lightens off he may bog down.....still bloody amayzing.....

• Like 1

The issue with allowing kick up rudders in series boats is it’s a fairly large cost for existing boats, and potentially unfair advantage for new boats, given the autopilot design on my P2 I’m not sure I could even retrofit them...

I would if I could tho...

I did build them as way back they were allowed in production, even p2 could have had them. After problems of cost and reliability in the fuse we decided it was better left to proto sailors with more experience.
Production class is still a class for aspiring ocean racers :) though some prod sailors are hiring coaches and are in training pools. So in the prod class there is a big difference in preparation and experience. Have to keep it simple and basic is the thought.

Big problem was to design a fuse that went of on the right time. And not by accident throwing the boat into a gybe. And on proto they are mainly used as anti drag. Still possible to rip out your stern.

Oh, Jon your bolds from your rudder are hard to reach and need two man to tighten... inside and outside.
Let a welder make a little plate with the four bolds welded to it. Shove it from the inside. Now you can tighten it solo from the outside.
It needs tensioning  as the fibre compresses a little over time.

Once did see a mini sailor mooring med style, back to the quay. Later waves came in and his rudders touched the wall. Other sailors mended his lines.
Asked the owner if he though about checking his rudders today, he gave me a weird look and sailed the race the next day without a close check. It is nice as a class to attract new sailors, but sometimes you shake your head in disbelieve.

Could we have two series boats in the top finishers....if the breeze stays up a more likely chance ..it does seem to show on the models to be lightening...

if all these races that are happening in the Atlantic are the new forms of sailing world wide , we have a lot to look forward to

10 hours ago, LeoV said:

I did build them as way back they were allowed in production, even p2 could have had them. After problems of cost and reliability in the fuse we decided it was better left to proto sailors with more experience.
Production class is still a class for aspiring ocean racers :) though some prod sailors are hiring coaches and are in training pools. So in the prod class there is a big difference in preparation and experience. Have to keep it simple and basic is the thought.

Big problem was to design a fuse that went of on the right time. And not by accident throwing the boat into a gybe. And on proto they are mainly used as anti drag. Still possible to rip out your stern.

Oh, Jon your bolds from your rudder are hard to reach and need two man to tighten... inside and outside.
Let a welder make a little plate with the four bolds welded to it. Shove it from the inside. Now you can tighten it solo from the outside.

Once did see a mini sailor mooring med style, back to the quay. Later waves came in and his rudders touched the wall. Other sailors mended his lines.
Asked the owner if he though about checking his rudders today, he gave me a weird look and sailed the race the next day without a close check. It is nice as a class to attract new sailors, but sometimes you shake your head in disbelieve.

Did you calculate the resistant force and the size of the fuse needed?

Yes, the NA did. To find a reliable solution was hard. We ended up with a notched bolt. In theory it should work, in practice the failings were wide off. Probably a few broaches made it to weak. As production yard you need to deliver good boats fast, so no time to fool around with stupid bolts.

13 hours ago, LeoV said:

Thats a nice idea, the retrofit ballast makes it almost impossible to get to the bolts at sea anyway, I intend to improve over winter so will be dropping the rudders off anyway, already have some new gudgeons to fit (came with the boat) I'm hoping they're the upgraded ones but hard to tell.

8 hours ago, LeoV said:

Yes, the NA did. To find a reliable solution was hard. We ended up with a notched bolt. In theory it should work, in practice the failings were wide off. Probably a few broaches made it to weak. As production yard you need to deliver good boats fast, so no time to fool around with stupid bolts.

Any numbers?

9 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Thats a nice idea, the retrofit ballast makes it almost impossible to get to the bolts at sea anyway, I intend to improve over winter so will be dropping the rudders off anyway, already have some new gudgeons to fit (came with the boat) I'm hoping they're the upgraded ones but hard to tell.

Are you talking about you having the real old ones ?

I know that they moved one bolt hole more aft from the leading edge. 2005 or so.

Bruno, no numbers, was to many years ago. weaker then the 3 m6 or m5 bolts holding Jon's rudder in its pintle.
Oh and I forgot to mention that if the fuse broke you have your rudder sticking out in the water, you need to hoist it damn fast. the forces on that position are immense.
Overall it is to complicated/expensive for a production class, and nice to do well on a proto.
What happened with Kremer, did he had rudder problems ?

On 11/10/2019 at 12:48 AM, huey 2 said:

But Ambrogia is beating Axel......only 55 miles behind Francois . 990 miles and Ambrogia is 1045 .   but a heavier boat and less sail area so when it lightens off he may bog down.....still bloody amayzing.....

It's pretty wild how competitive it is in the series class over the last decade.  At the moment it looks like the top 17 series boats are all in the top 10 of proto.  9th placed series, Keni Piperol on the Vector 650, is six miles ahead of 5th in proto 969. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LeoV said:

Are you talking about you having the real old ones ?

As far as I know most of the Pogo 2's had extra foam installed at the back, its strapped in with a bit of wood and some pad eyes, theres even an allowed plan for it.

Jon, was talking about the metal bit on your rudder. It was changed a little. Extra foam was needed for a lot of serie types as they proved to float to low.

Seems the conditions are making victims;
The fatigue is also extending to the Mini 6.50s now of course. This is evidenced by the two dismastings suffered by Irina Gracheva (579) and Julien Berthélémé (742) this morning. However, a number of other competitors lament their own technical woes. Anne Beaugé (890) currently has spreader issues. The support boat Yemanja also reports that Thomas D’Estais (819) is in the process of repairing a rudder fitting that has pulled out and Thomas Gaschignard (539) has had to repair his helm and a cracked rudder. Meantime, the support boat Tea, reports that Jean-René Guilloux (915) lost the pin on the rigging screw attached to a stay last night but fortunately he’s managed to replace it with another on the boat. Finally, Race Management received an alert saying "Technical problem, I’m OK" from Simon Tranvouez.
https://www.minitransat.fr/en/news/war-nerves-and-damage-galore-two-competitors-boats-have-dismasted-skippers-are-safe

• Like 2

Damn, Jambou is indeed killing it. Marie has a lot of catching up to do, and after such a fine first leg. Bummer about the issues causing her to restart this leg, but hey, it would have been so easy to just pack it up and head home. These sailors truly are amazing.

yeah, Jambou 1st placed after 1 day and 19 hrs, and never dropped a place. Killing it.

It is fun to watch the statistics page with rankings;
Amelia Grassi 61 to 14th in serie... Qunot 60 plus to 15th..
The last two series now; Black Mamba and Rasta Rocket. They need mental support, or maybe they have a blast of a time. Black Mamba really seems to be the adventure type. Rasta left port way later then the rest.

Black Mamba. 64 years old, campaign in 4 years, first offshore fast sailing experience when he was 55;
It’s aboard this boat that Georges Kick will enjoy the pleasures of being at sea to the full: “The sunrises and sunsets, the starry sky at night, the dolphins, the whales and the absence of any hassle…!

Hope he has a good time.

Trehin second, almost 13 hrs later.
seems to have spare wind meter setup.

Gaschignard retires. He was forced to abandon his boat due to rudder and pilot issues. He is safe and sound onboard Yemanja.
So now 2 retired and onboard assistance boats, presumably towing the minis ? Or helping to repair them..

17 hours ago, LeoV said:

198 had 2 wins too, and a slew of other places, was type forming too.
http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des Minis/198.htm

Sebastien Magne, the legend! what is he doing now, im wondering?

8 hours ago, JonRowe said:

If I recall the Maximum DNF was for blowing up the chute and thus not making it worth while? I could be misinformed however.

David Raison: He wins the first stage, but in the second, Davy finds that there are cracks in the transom: he retraces his steps and gives up. And the boat was taken over by Ian Lipinski the following season: he put lifting rudders. This is pretty much the only noticeable evolution of the boat in five years. 

5 minutes ago, troll99 said:

David Raison: He wins the first stage, but in the second, Davy finds that there are cracks in the transom: he retraces his steps and gives up. And the boat was taken over by Ian Lipinski the following season: he put lifting rudders. This is pretty much the only noticeable evolution of the boat in five years. 

Hmm maybe I'm thinking of the skipper not the boat (Jambou)

1st Production: Ambrogio Beccaria  He crossed the finish line in Le Marin on Friday 15th November at 16:31:48 UTC. His race time was 13 days 01 hour 58 minutes and 48 seconds. 3rd place overall.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, troll99 said:

the only Jambous Maximum DNF is Chrono 6.50

Fair enough, must be misinformed / misremembering, its never effected my opinion of the boat or the sailor (both are weapons :) )

Congratulations Ambrogio, 1st series and 3rd on "rum honours" :lol:

53 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Fair enough, must be misinformed / misremembering, its never effected my opinion of the boat or the sailor (both are weapons :) )

Congratulations Ambrogio, 1st series and 3rd on "rum honours" :lol:

When giancarlo had 747 the transat after it won, he "probably" would have won if it were not for breaking the bowsprit. If memory serves it broke more than once. When Davy had 865 he whacked something (no kickup rudders) and cracked the hull/transom seam on leg 2. 

It sounds like 747 may be getting put back into class Mini trim for next season, I cannot find the citation at the moment though.