Lusting on Yachtworld

57 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Speaking of Texas, I just tried a little browsing on Sailboats Texas - very weak.

Speaking of Corpus, I went to Corpus Christi NAS when I was a midshipman in 1968, I think, for Naval aviation orientation. Scared the shit out of me.

The town or the Navy?  :P

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Something must be wrong with me.  I don't really "lust." I rarely lust after other homes. Other locations? Occasionally, but only a tiny bit.  My home and property are great. Visitors often tell

Ummm, I don't suppose you've noticed that this is CRUISING anarchy? It involves the pure joy of cruising with furniture. I'm 65 and sail a 48', 30,000#, wooden sailboat with my 64 year old wife. The w

Ted Hood always seem to manage to steal my heart.  First the Little Harbor series and now this: https://www.lymanmorse.com/sailing_yacht/hood-lyman-morse-60-windwalker-ii/

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Bull City said:

Speaking of Texas, I just tried a little browsing on Sailboats Texas - very weak.

Speaking of Corpus, I went to Corpus Christi NAS when I was a midshipman in 1968, I think, for Naval aviation orientation. Scared the shit out of me.

Aviation training or Corpus? It was a nice little town back then, but of course, I was only 8. But if you were hanging out in the redneck bars, well....

12 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

The town or the Navy?  :P

42 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Aviation training or Corpus? It was a nice little town back then, but of course, I was only 8. But if you were hanging out in the redneck bars, well....

Naval aviation: ejection seat training, why you wear g-pants, to name a few.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Naval aviation: ejection seat training, why you wear g-pants, to name a few.

Did my advanced at Kingsville, about 45 miles west of Corpus. Corpus was the big town in the area. Kingsville was the seat for the largest dry county in the US. Great flying and nice people though.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Matagi said:

For sale in Sweden, has a lifting keel that goes from > 4m to 1,6m. No idea on the price. A trillion kronas or so? Have a look at the customized crockery.

fb95075e4561429fbb6c0f357c8e90b1.jpg

A beauty.  That looks like the picture was taken among the archipelago of islands off the eastern coast of Sweden.  I spent a very happy week-10 days cruising around there one summer (could it really be forty years ago!?!?!?).

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Matagi said:

For sale in Sweden, has a lifting keel that goes from > 4m to 1,6m. No idea on the price. A trillion kronas or so? Have a look at the customized crockery.

Priced at 445.000 euros - about 535k for the yanks

44 minutes ago, Matagi said:

I don't care where she is, how much she is, whether the crockery is mismatched or monogrammed, whether she's practical or even anti-fouled, she is dropdead gorgeous.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

I don't care where she is, how much she is, whether the crockery is mismatched or monogrammed, whether she's practical or even anti-fouled, she is dropdead gorgeous.

dude, c'mon..custom crockery is a serious fucking power move!

• Like 2
On 2/4/2021 at 8:30 PM, Weyalan said:

Meh, you get custom crockery and towels with a new off the shelf 33 foot Beneteau....

Yep, had some bowels from my 1974 Dufour 35.  I think I repurposed them some place about a year ago.

5 hours ago, bridhb said:

Yep, had some bowels from my 1974 Dufour 35.  I think I repurposed them some place about a year ago.

Yeah,  some old boats do that.  Check the water in the water tank...

I do believe I'm a simple man with simple tastes: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/westerly-fulmar-3728195/

Can't seem to get a direct URL of a photo of it, so the link will have to do. '86 Westerly Fulmar. As much as I love my current Centaur, the extra 6' would be welcome. Not so sure about the hard dodger, and I do notice a distinct lack of headliner in the photos (can only imagine it's sagging)... but if I had enough money handed to me tomorrow to do what I want, how I want, when I want... I'd be seeing about getting that boat to this side of the Atlantic and moving onto it, after a good survey.

You’ll appreciate that dodger.  Quite practical, we’ve seen many that are much worse.  It’s utility is fair compensation for  the looks on this one.  That headliner needs a bit of help. Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, Black Sox said:

so gorgeous that I spent some time drooling over the ad at https://www.yachtbroker.se/baat/sailing-yacht-gefion/4759 

I was a bit shocked to see the size of the winch farm

1259824091_SVGefionwinches.thumb.jpg.cae53519ade096365c6de30430d72456.jpg          985188797_SVGefionwinches2.thumb.jpg.5705c93fdb76e762dee3e9df3d383598.jpg

Then it hit me that her beautiful slim lines had allowed me to forget that she is a 74ft boat, dis[placing 39 tonnes  ... and that she has tankage for two tonnes of diesel.

6 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

so gorgeous that I spent some time drooling over the ad at https://www.yachtbroker.se/baat/sailing-yacht-gefion/4759 

1259824091_SVGefionwinches.thumb.jpg.cae53519ade096365c6de30430d72456.jpg          985188797_SVGefionwinches2.thumb.jpg.5705c93fdb76e762dee3e9df3d383598.jpg

Then it hit me that her beautiful slim lines had allowed me to forget that she is a 74ft boat, dis[placing 39 tonnes  ... and that she has tankage for two tonnes of diesel.

Is the photo deceptive or would it not be possible to work two adjacent winches without the handles fouling each other? Seems like a serious waste of winches.

10 minutes ago, Fleetwood said:

Is the photo deceptive or would it not be possible to work two adjacent winches without the handles fouling each other? Seems like a serious waste of winches.

The photo may be deceptive ... but I think that the winches are powered, so that handle space doesn't matter much

2 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

They are electric/hydraulic.

10 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Stop! Stop!

You’re killing me. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, I’m having “a crisis”.

23 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

You’re killing me. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, I’m having “a crisis”.

You and me both, Sox.

This is the sexiest boat I have seen in a long time.

17 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

You and me both, Sox.

This is the sexiest boat I have seen in a long time.

When I was young and innocent, someone gave me a wall poster of a Swan 65 at anchor. (I think it was called Yellow Drama but it was a loooooong time ago.) It was on my bedroom wall for years and in my mind for many more as the ultimate desirable. I fell in love with “boats”.

The actual poster is long gone but I can only now mentally replace it it. With this one. I feel like I’ve moved on from a teenage crush.

Sure it is beautiful hull but I cant get over that deckhouse, it ruins the sleek look, though I understand purpose of it.

I just might have spent too much time looking at these:

b_e04607b59b.jpeg

On 1/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, andykane said:

I've complained about the same thing and agree - it's much harder to use now. I think most of the same filters are available after you search, in the left bar, but they can be super hard to find. For example they used to have a `Pacific Northwest` region which was perfect for me, since it included my Canadian province, and the neighbouring US state, all of which are part of the area in which I'd shop for a "local" boat. Now they've hidden that region behind 3 levels of filtering, and it doesn't include Canadian boats any more so it's useless for me.

I use https://au.yachtworld.com/advanced-boat-search/ to get the old advance search tool. Much easier.

Just found this.  Brilliant!  Like others I've been suffering for ~2 years since the new "improved" format.  I quit looking at YW as I could find no easy way to search it.  I never knew you could go overseas to find the original, it works in UK too.  My book mark is now updated to the old, in Aus.  Thank you.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, Matagi said:

On 2/19/2021 at 11:48 PM, TwoLegged said:

Oh yeah, Gefion is a pretty cool boat. Her home port is very close to where I live. Designed to be sailed by a couple/single handed I believe, hence the densely populated, powered, winch farm and other things.

A pretty wild feature that they don't disclose in the advert is the thing that looks like a second vang in this picture:

b444191f804140279dacce7843b95f3d.jpg

You can just about see the rather large shaft that it's connected to just behind the mast. That shaft runs down through the deck and the accommodation to the bilge where it has a huge cogwheel (probably 3-4 ft in diameter) attached to it. The cogwheel then has a rack on either side of it, both connected to hydraulic pistons. I've tried to draw it up as seen from above in paint (not to scale etc as I'm not an engineer/designer, but you get the idea):

Gefion.thumb.png.e4b32864f7d38a500735d879f7b330d4.png

The purpose of this system as far as I could understand was to give greater control of boom movement in the gybes. Whether this is just to increase safety when sailing shorthanded or if it has something to do with sail trim I don't know, but it has a normal mainsheet and vang for that. I don't think this is used for sail trim in any way.

A pretty wild feature I thought I'd share and you might enjoy, I've never seen gybe control done like this before. Maybe the mast rotation on Maltese Falcon counts as this kind of system? Gefion was obviously commissioned by someone with a lot of money and experience and she was built at a very fine shipyard here in Sweden. She needs some love/a refit but would make an epic shorthanded cruiser and is very well suited to our environment with the super shallow draft keel up.

• Like 4

@Tylo  Thanks for sharing that.  I’ve never heard of such a device but it seems to be sensible, simple and safer than many preventer setups.   Accidental gybes account for a great many MOBs and serious injuries.  

Has anyone seen a device like this?

Tylo that looks like a "tiller" post its connected to.  I imagine the post going thru the deck and  accommodation is keyed into the the center hole of the cog?    Yes, wild.  Its like a tiller for the boom, that is a hydraulic dampening system.  The forces must be tremendous.  Very interesting.  Thanks. 

3 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The listing says "call for price".

Any guesses on what they are asking?

More than two commas probably.  I move on pretty quick if the price has two commas in it.  If only one comma, I can dream with some sense of possibility... maybe.   

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The listing says "call for price".

Any guesses on what they are asking?

Any ad for anything that says "POA" or "Call for price" means it's wildly overpriced.

• Like 1

I did some comparison shopping, and found two useful comparators:

The Gunboat 55 is the oddball one with cockpit/saloon fusion, sister ship to the dismasted-and-abandoned Rainmaker (link to coverage on SA).  So I am guessing that demand for the the G55 is a bit dented, which leaves the older, slightly smaller, but less notorious 2005 G48 not that far behind in value.

So my guesstimate is that the G48 will be asking $1,250K.  That's a little over midway between the mass-market Outremer and the much-hyped G55.

However, the G48 has a very small galley for a 48ft cruising cat, which is likely to be a big negative.  So they may have to take an offer below $1million.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

And also comes not full of water, which also costs extra.

rainsight.00.jpg

Then there's the deck hardware hatches, lifelines Steering winches, instruments and a superstructure, engines and electronics which all cost extra.

But dont let that put you off you've got a boat that floats....that's a great start.

in the Gunboat 55 listing it says:

”Her winches are manual, and can be powered by their handheld electric powered handles.”

.  For two commas, I want to push buttons.  

44 minutes ago, Student_Driver said:

in the Gunboat 55 listing it says:

”Her winches are manual, and can be powered by their handheld electric powered handles.”

.  For two commas, I want to push buttons.  

When you have spent two commas on the boat, surely you employ a serf to turn the handles?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

When you have spent two commas on the boat, surely you employ a serf to turn the handles?

Good luck getting a serf to do anything these days.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Then there's the deck hardware hatches, lifelines Steering winches, instruments and a superstructure, engines and electronics which all cost extra.

But dont let that put you off you've got a boat that floats....that's a great start.

Hey man, there are Millennials out there paying top dollar for a wrecked boat that they turn into Youtube gold in their quest to sail around the world being Digital Nomads in bikinis.  Those wrecked Catamarans are the next Patreon funded lifestyle on Instagram.