Lusting on Yachtworld

I think Dick Zaal (NL) has done some great designs in the past, the Rekere, the Zeevink, Fanfan, the Lapwing...

Many were well thought-through and unique, but this one is a league of its own. 

I'm not sure. I like many things about this boat, it's wood, it has a fin keel, roughly 30ft. Reminds me a bitof scandinavian designs, a bit like a Grinde

But I'm torn, some things don't look too right. Maybe it's the colourscheme? She is apparently self-built, btw.

What do you guys think?

SAM_8218.JPG

https://www.yachtfocus.com/en/used-boats-for-sale/easy-sail/137607/dick-zaal-quickening.html

• Like 1
  • Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Something must be wrong with me.  I don't really "lust." I rarely lust after other homes. Other locations? Occasionally, but only a tiny bit.  My home and property are great. Visitors often tell

Ummm, I don't suppose you've noticed that this is CRUISING anarchy? It involves the pure joy of cruising with furniture. I'm 65 and sail a 48', 30,000#, wooden sailboat with my 64 year old wife. The w

Ted Hood always seem to manage to steal my heart.  First the Little Harbor series and now this: https://www.lymanmorse.com/sailing_yacht/hood-lyman-morse-60-windwalker-ii/

Posted Images

I'm not really into the canoe stern thing, but this Zaal's Quickening seems to me to be a good example of the genre,.  I quite like the cabin top, which seems to me shout "waves washing safely over it" .... but those reared on the American tradition of vertical cabin sides may find it more alien than us Yurpeens.

However, the colours? Ouch.  Some 1977 home decoration scheme wants its paint back.

• Like 2
On 5/17/2020 at 11:14 PM, bmiller said:

Wylie was mentioned in another thread, so I went lusting. I'm just a weeee bit short of the ask price.

https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/custom-60-world-cruiser-racer-3569206/

why would you require two seats at the nav station ?

personally I'd much prefer the extra desk space which has been cut out to accommodate the extra seat .

On 12/5/2020 at 11:51 AM, Matagi said:

I think Dick Zaal (NL) has done some great designs in the past, the Rekere, the Zeevink, Fanfan, the Lapwing...

Many were well thought-through and unique, but this one is a league of its own. 

I'm not sure. I like many things about this boat, it's wood, it has a fin keel, roughly 30ft. Reminds me a bitof scandinavian designs, a bit like a Grinde

But I'm torn, some things don't look too right. Maybe it's the colourscheme? She is apparently self-built, btw.

What do you guys think?

SAM_8218.JPG

https://www.yachtfocus.com/en/used-boats-for-sale/easy-sail/137607/dick-zaal-quickening.html

i like it, i like it a lot

On 12/5/2020 at 4:31 PM, Mid said:

why would you require two seats at the nav station ?

personally I'd much prefer the extra desk space which has been cut out to accommodate the extra seat .

I quite like it, as a work station area, or if you are trying to teach nav (or anything, if you are homeschooling)  to someone. We have one of those chairs at a drafting table in our office, and I would try to find a way to trade them out for Recaros or Herman Miller Aerons. Much more comfy for doing stuff at anchor, which is where a boat like this will spend a lot of time.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:12 AM, Crash said:

I was actually there for Isabel too!  I spent the night on my brand new J/109, as quite literally, all my cash was tied up "to the dock" so to speak!  My (new) wife was teaching there in Weapons and Systems.

I was not the overtaking boat.  I had been skipper of Spitfire that fall (82) then lost the boat when my GPA was an impressive 1.2 at the end of the semester.  Didn't fail any classes, but 4 D's and 2 C's did not impress anyone.  Got to go to the long green table during Christmas Break.  So that spring (it was really 83, not 82) I was doing foredeck on a Yawl that they gave to my "XO" from Spitfire.  We spent that night "chasing" a strobe light off shore of Ocean City, MD, talking to the Coast Guard, thinking it had to mean a Mid was overboard off one of the other boats ahead of us...After many hours we and the Coast Guard gave up as there were no distress calls from any boats.  We ended up shooting the inlet into Ocean City (that was kinda crazy) around 3 am or so and sitting out the rest of the storm there.  When we got back, found out one of the other yawls had hove to in the storm, and lashed their MOB strobe to the boom to "increase their visibility to other boats" and they all went below to ride it out. <_<.  Also heard about Cinnabars time on the bar.  Knew the Skipper well, he was a classmate.  Later that summer I was one of the Ensigns that took to Cinnabar up to and back from Newport Offshore to be fixed the first time.  Then when we got back, looking at it in the slip and realizing she still had a list.  So then we took all the gear, etc off her, and still listing, so we hauled her and measured, and sure enough, bottom of the keel not centered.  So back she went.

In 1990 I was a new sailboat broker in Annapolis.

I heard that USNA wanted to sell Spitfire and I thought I might buy her.

The guy running the program was a real gentleman. I believe his first name was George?

Turned out to be too big of a project for me but in November I sold her to a family in CT who wanted to fix her up and live aboard.

He had a metal working business and was the perfect choice to be the next owner.

Sell price was 60k.

I just looked her up. She is still actively documented as Spitfire.

Small world.

Dunno if this will work... if so, apologies in advance for the Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/945743318865601/permalink/3172574179515826/?sale_post_id=3172574179515826

1997 Jutson Mount Gay 30 Water Ballast Short Handed Sailboat... said to have done a Transpac? Looks to need a lot of sorting out, but it's a lot of boat

FB- Doug

4 minutes ago, longy said:

DID do a SHTP, lost the keel on the way back. Written up somewhere around here.

Wow, thanks. The pics make the hull/keel appear intact. Seems like a lot of boat for not a lot of coin. Is Lake Norman NC where hot boats go to die?

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, sailpower said:

In 1990 I was a new sailboat broker in Annapolis.

I heard that USNA wanted to sell Spitfire and I thought I might buy her.

The guy running the program was a real gentleman. I believe his first name was George?

Turned out to be too big of a project for me but in November I sold her to a family in CT who wanted to fix her up and live aboard.

He had a metal working business and was the perfect choice to be the next owner.

Sell price was 60k.

I just looked her up. She is still actively documented as Spitfire.

Small world.

George Dewhurst maybe?  

That’s a great piece of history as I always wondered what happened to Spitfire.  I was up in Mystic Seaport in Sept of 2001 as was pretty sure I saw her anchored out in the harbor there!

32 minutes ago, Crash said:

George Dewhurst maybe?  

That’s a great piece of history as I always wondered what happened to Spitfire.  I was up in Mystic Seaport in Sept of 2001 as was pretty sure I saw her anchored out in the harbor there!

George Dewhurst sounds right. I believe that he passed away a few years later.

The family lived in Stonington which is next to Mystic so maybe???

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a lust-worthy 80s boat, IMO.  Single owner who passed away this year, and it appears that he sailed and took care of this boat. Two of this Frers design were made. 

It's more boat than I've been looking for (5' longer and one mast more). But if y'all will send an extra $100K for my cruising kitty, I want her!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/frers-tri-star-3732900/

Frers Tri-Star 1984 image 1

11 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Here's a lust-worthy 80s boat, IMO.  Single owner who passed away this year, and it appears that he sailed and took care of this boat. Two of this Frers design were made. 

It's more boat than I've been looking for (5' longer and one mast more). But if y'all will send an extra $100K for my cruising kitty, I want her!

Death trap! Offset companionway strikes again!

1 hour ago, The great unwashed said:

If there were two offset companion ways, one to port and one to starboard....the boat would have sunk before it was even launched....

I believe that approach to boatbuilding was mastered by the Chinese.

Then copied by the Americans.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:03 AM, Israel Hands said:

Lovely boat, even though I am not a ketch fan.

33 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

That wiring pic shouts "money to to be spent here".  

Being a boat shouts "money to to be spent here". 

The wiring pic shouts "even more money to be spent here".

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Seems like a very good deal.

Fast- and sweet-looking boat. Love the bright cabin too.  If it sells for 120K or less, someone will get a very nice deal. Not being familiar with ketches, I'm guessing one would expect to spend 50% more on sails and rigging upkeep though. And 6'-6 draft is about 6" over my limit.

17 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Did this one buff out?

No.

The yacht was salvaged but was declared a total constructive loss, estimated at $10 million. McDonald told Trade Only in 2014 that Northern Marine’s insurance company was on the hook for the price.

At the time of the accident New World employed 52 people, primarily at its Anacortes yard. The builder entered receivership and ceased operations in August 2014, according to the report.

23 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Wow.  One yacht sank the whole operation.

It's quite the rabbit hole to go down, the builder essentially added a couple more floors upstairs and launched with empty tanks on too-small trolleys.

The whole ugly story is here:

• Like 1

oh yea, I remember that topic.  I didn't follow it too closely and didn't realize that the builder didn't follow the engineering/design.  It's probably better that it died where it did instead of out in the middle of the ocean with the owner who happened to run the tanks low and flip the boat.

11 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This is definitely lustworthy.  I suppose the relatively low price might reflect need to replace rigging?  Dunno - but seems like a pretty nice boat at a pretty nice price. 

https://victoria.craigslist.org/bod/d/victoria-cl-explorer-45/7228758319.html

It's a deathtrap.

00B0B_5kNrah65DI1_0wg0oc_1200x900.jpg

Needs a lot of work on the wood, the winches look tired, it has running backstays, no furling...but a lot of boat if you're willing to put the same $ into it.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This is definitely lustworthy.  I suppose the relatively low price might reflect need to replace rigging?  Dunno - but seems like a pretty nice boat at a pretty nice price. 

https://victoria.craigslist.org/bod/d/victoria-cl-explorer-45/7228758319.html

They've also got this one: https://www.salts.ca/site/buy-a-boat/sailboats/42-whitby-42.html

I think both fall into the "those who can afford to maintain/moor them can afford a nicer/newer/more expensive boat" But either seems like a great choice for a low-buck offshore cruiser. 

40 minutes ago, andykane said:

They've also got this one: https://www.salts.ca/site/buy-a-boat/sailboats/42-whitby-42.html

I think both fall into the "those who can afford to maintain/moor them can afford a nicer/newer/more expensive boat" But either seems like a great choice for a low-buck offshore cruiser. 

Yeah, a friend sent me the link - he’s in Victoria right now, so I’m sure he’s lusting :-).  He’s definitely in the dreaming stage - timing is not right for him now.  I told him, “looks cool, but budget half again as much for upgrades and deferred maintenance....” :-). He’s no dummy, he’s owned boats before and has sailed halfway around the world, but is lusting currently, blind to the reality of having a mistress to maintain too...

16 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Needs a lot of work on the wood, the winches look tired, it has running backstays, no furling...but a lot of boat if you're willing to put the same $ into it.

16 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I told him, “looks cool, but budget half again as much for upgrades and deferred maintenance....”

Definitely a money pit; I agree with Ishmael's to-do list (I'd add a repower and new spars to it) and would guess that Jud's budget is a couple hundred grand short.  In other words, she'd be an expensive boat at $0.  But she's a beauty, and if she were on the opposite coast and I were between boats, I'd certainly be interested.

8 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

Definitely a money pit; I agree with Ishmael's to-do list (I'd add a repower and new spars to it) and would guess that Jud's budget is a couple hundred grand short.  In other words, she'd be an expensive boat at $0.  But she's a beauty, and if she were on the opposite coast and I were between boats, I'd certainly be interested.

It's got a 9 year old diesel with 1100 hours. Hard to find better than that in a cheap used boat.

I still say nice boat for a low budget effort. If you want to dump 200k+ into it, just start with a better boat.

8 hours ago, ChrisJD said:

Definitely a money pit; I agree with Ishmael's to-do list (I'd add a repower and new spars to it) and would guess that Jud's budget is a couple hundred grand short.  In other words, she'd be an expensive boat at $0. 

Yeah - just scrap it and buy something new for the budgeted amount.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeah - just scrap it and buy something new for the budgeted amount.

It might be a great boat for the price, but I'd want a good surveyor and eyes wide open for structural or saturation issues. There's a lot of sweat equity involved if it's not going to cost a fortune to fix.

34 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It might be a great boat for the price, but I'd want a good surveyor and eyes wide open for structural or saturation issues. There's a lot of sweat equity involved if it's not going to cost a fortune to fix.

This boat need that "Captain Q" fatty dude to hype it to some suckers who will skips the survey "cos she got good bones", and massively underestimate the time and $$$s needed.

Latest boat my friend is looking at - not at all seriously right now, just to see what’s out there.  This one is way more realistic than the 40+ footer that needs lots of upgrades I posted just above.

Aloha 34.  Looks fairly nicely fitted out for coastal sailing here anyway.  If I were in the market for a boat, this would be high on my list.  But for less.......if I could sell mine high..... :-)

https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/boa/d/ucluelet-1981-aloha-34-ted-brewer/7241958114.html

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Latest boat my friend is looking at - not at all seriously right now, just to see what’s out there.  This one is way more realistic than the 40+ footer that needs lots of upgrades I posted just above.

Aloha 34.  Looks fairly nicely fitted out for coastal sailing here anyway.  If I were in the market for a boat, this would be high on my list.  But for less.......if I could sell mine high..... :-)

https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/boa/d/ucluelet-1981-aloha-34-ted-brewer/7241958114.html

nice job on the hard dodger

2 hours ago, chester said:

no sarcasm!  i thought it looked ell done.

Agree.  Nice boat all around.  And finally, someone took the time to take good pictures.  Shows a well-kept, well-loved vessel.  She won't last long at that price.

I agree that the boat is well kept and well presented.  I like the way the full enclosure integrates into the hard dodger.  However there is something aboutt the hard dodger that seems a bit off.  It's subtle and I can't really put my finger on it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hukilau said:

Agree.  Nice boat all around.  And finally, someone took the time to take good pictures.  Shows a well-kept, well-loved vessel.  She won't last long at that price.

A nice looking example, the Aloha 34 was on the list when we were looking a few years back but none were available. A bit more cruising friendly cabin than the C&C 35 we have. I wonder how the Aloha sails - seems like it might be a bit underpowered in our typical summer light air. I might be interested except we're looking to go a bit bigger now...

26 minutes ago, swright said:

A nice looking example, the Aloha 34 was on the list when we were looking a few years back but none were available. A bit more cruising friendly cabin than the C&C 35 we have. I wonder how the Aloha sails - seems like it might be a bit underpowered in our typical summer light air. I might be interested except we're looking to go a bit bigger now...

PHRF seems to be around 162, compared to 114 for the C&C 35-3 (Onigaming Yacht Club ratings). So quite a bit slower.

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

PHRF seems to be around 162, compared to 114 for the C&C 35-3 (Onigaming Yacht Club ratings). So quite a bit slower.

I have a 35mk2, so around 130-145 PHRF, but still a bit better in light air than the Aloha. However, the Aloha will probably stand up to a bit more wind before reefing, which is what I've read from owners cruising them offshore. Our C&C is pretty stiff though, with 1000lbs more ballast, but a bit less beam than the Aloha.

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

PHRF-LO has a base rating of 123 for the C&C 35-3 and 153 for the Aloha 34.  Both are common on Lake Ontario, so there's reasonable stats over the years to support the observed performance.  It's still a significant variation in speed potential, but the boats were designed for very different purposes by very different builders.

We had an A34 at our club many years ago named "Room to Dance" and true to form, Brewer afforded a ton of floor space in the spacious main cabin.

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, swright said:

I have a 35mk2, so around 130-145 PHRF, but still a bit better in light air than the Aloha. However, the Aloha will probably stand up to a bit more wind before reefing, which is what I've read from owners cruising them offshore. Our C&C is pretty stiff though, with 1000lbs more ballast, but a bit less beam than the Aloha.

That explains the lust for the Aloha cabin. Our beam on the 35-3 is 11'2" so a bit wider than the Aloha. It feels quite a bit roomier than the 35-2.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

That explains the lust for the Aloha cabin. Our beam on the 35-3 is 11'2" so a bit wider than the Aloha. It feels quite a bit roomier than the 35-2.

Interesting, I haven't been aboard a 35-2 yet, but have seen several. From the photos, they appear very similar to the 35-2, but space is always a bit hard to judge from photos. We originally liked the dinette table idea, but now think the centre line table that can fold away is probably better suited to our needs. We almost never eat below in good weather, and when we do, a smaller table for the two of us would suit fine. But we also knew this would be the boat we'd find out all the little things we like and don't like.

19 minutes ago, SV Callisto said:

Interesting, I haven't been aboard a 35-2 yet, but have seen several. From the photos, they appear very similar to the 35-2, but space is always a bit hard to judge from photos. We originally liked the dinette table idea, but now think the centre line table that can fold away is probably better suited to our needs. We almost never eat below in good weather, and when we do, a smaller table for the two of us would suit fine. But we also knew this would be the boat we'd find out all the little things we like and don't like.

The dinette works for us, but we are almost always just a couple. Being able to spin it around gives easy access to the port side storage.

2 hours ago, py26129 said:

I agree that the boat is well kept and well presented.  I like the way the full enclosure integrates into the hard dodger.  However there is something aboutt the hard dodger that seems a bit off.  It's subtle and I can't really put my finger on it.

i think most self-designed and build hard dodgers are going to be  a bit off...any dodger is tricky...we have a whole thread on it!  :D .  if I had designed and built it I'd pretty darned happy...maybe even boastfull ;)

• Like 1

Is it me, or has YachtWorld seriously dumbed-down its search tools? Used to be, you could limit searches by length, type (racer, racer/cruiser, ketch, antique & classic, etc.), location (state, region, country), a price range you could define. Now it seems that it's only length, pre-set price ranges, and sail or power.

It's practically useless.

7 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Is it me, or has YachtWorld seriously dumbed-down its search tools? Used to be, you could limit searches by length, type (racer, racer/cruiser, ketch, antique & classic, etc.), location (state, region, country), a price range you could define. Now it seems that it's only length, pre-set price ranges, and sail or power.

Advanced search is still there for the UK: https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/advanced-boat-search/

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Seems to me, that once you set the basics, and get results, that you can then refine your search by all those filters you mention...Its a 2 step process, but you can still do it.

So it's only sorta you :P

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

I've complained about the same thing and agree - it's much harder to use now. I think most of the same filters are available after you search, in the left bar, but they can be super hard to find. For example they used to have a `Pacific Northwest` region which was perfect for me, since it included my Canadian province, and the neighbouring US state, all of which are part of the area in which I'd shop for a "local" boat. Now they've hidden that region behind 3 levels of filtering, and it doesn't include Canadian boats any more so it's useless for me.

I use https://au.yachtworld.com/advanced-boat-search/ to get the old advance search tool. Much easier.

• Like 2

It's not just you - they completely fucked it up the last time they updated it.

I used to look at it every day - now I'm thinking of clipping it from my bookmarks folder.

They used to also have prices in Canadian dollars, that's gone too.

48 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I used to look at it every day - now I'm thinking of clipping it from my bookmarks folder.

A classic example of not leaving well enough alone. I had a whole library of searches that became useless overnight.

Since we're dreaming here, this boat seems  like one that would appeal to me. Quick enough to be fun to sail, but manageable with me and wifey if we don't over-canvas.

I could probably afford the boat, but the annual expenses would eventually make make SWMBO a little grumpy

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/c-c-115-3227560/

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Since we're dreaming here, this boat seems  like one that would appeal to me. Quick enough to be fun to sail, but manageable with me and wifey if we don't over-canvas.

I could probably afford the boat, but the annual expenses would eventually make make SWMBO a little grumpy

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/c-c-115-3227560/

Thoughts?

would you stay on or day sail?

So, true to form, brokers do something stupid. They probably have the full search version on their app, but decided that dumbing down the version for the public will drive more inquiries and calls to them, which they will take several days or weeks to answer, if ever. They are sooo busy. 

10 hours ago, Bull City said:

10 hours ago, Crash said:

Seems to me, that once you set the basics, and get results, that you can then refine your search by all those filters you mention...Its a 2 step process, but you can still do it.

So it's only sorta you :P

9 hours ago, andykane said:

I've complained about the same thing and agree - it's much harder to use now. I think most of the same filters are available after you search, in the left bar, but they can be super hard to find. For example they used to have a `Pacific Northwest` region which was perfect for me, since it included my Canadian province, and the neighbouring US state, all of which are part of the area in which I'd shop for a "local" boat. Now they've hidden that region behind 3 levels of filtering, and it doesn't include Canadian boats any more so it's useless for me.

I use https://au.yachtworld.com/advanced-boat-search/ to get the old advance search tool. Much easier.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

They used to also have prices in Canadian dollars, that's gone too.

A classic example of not leaving well enough alone. I had a whole library of searches that became useless overnight.

6 hours ago, Bull City said:

So, true to form, brokers do something stupid. They probably have the full search version on their app, but decided that dumbing down the version for the public will drive more inquiries and calls to them, which they will take several days or weeks to answer, if ever. They are sooo busy. 

Yes, Yachtworld changed their website years ago, and yes, it was/is less intuitive to navigate, but all the details identified as "lost" above are still available at   https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/

Just bookmark the location, drill down through the pertinent criteria on the left headings (and sub-headings), and all your favourite searches are just as accessible as previously.  It's not complicated...

Cheers and happy dreaming / searching!

13 minutes ago, CriticalPath said:

Yes, Yachtworld changed their website years ago, and yes, it was/is less intuitive to navigate, but all the details identified as "lost" above are still available at   https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/

Just bookmark the location, drill down through the pertinent criteria on the left headings (and sub-headings), and all your favourite searches are just as accessible as previously.  It's not complicated...

Cheers and happy dreaming / searching!

CP, as far as I can see, it's not all there at https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/ 

Try for example searching used steel sailing boats under 70 feet in the Pacific NorthWest: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/type-sail/region-northamerica/country-united-states/us-region-pacific-northwest/?length=0-70&amp;hullMaterial=steel

Note that it shows regions only as subsets of countries, so its definition of PNW is USA only.   As others have noted, there is no way around that on this interface.

However, if I start at https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/advanced-boat-search/, I can do a cross-border PNW search: https://tinyurl.com/y4gcpjuq 

5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

CP, as far as I can see, it's not all there at https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/ 

Try for example searching used steel sailing boats under 70 feet in the Pacific NorthWest: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/type-sail/region-northamerica/country-united-states/us-region-pacific-northwest/?length=0-70&amp;hullMaterial=steel

Note that it shows regions only as subsets of countries, so its definition of PNW is USA only.   As others have noted, there is no way around that on this interface.

However, if I start at https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/advanced-boat-search/, I can do a cross-border PNW search: https://tinyurl.com/y4gcpjuq 

Also, you no longer have the sailboat types, such as sloop, antique/classic, racer, racer/cruiser, daysailer, mono-hull, etc.

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Also, you no longer have the sailboat types, such as sloop, antique/classic, racer, racer/cruiser, daysailer, mono-hull, etc.

Bull, those ones do seem to be there, just hidden. If you check Type > Sail, a new Sail category is added to the filters, which has those options. Some of the options might be hidden if there are no boats that match the criteria (ie daysailor will be hidden if no boats in your size range are listed as daysailors).

Still takes substantially more clicking and scrolling. Try filtering by manufacturer then trying to find near the end of the list!

15 hours ago, chester said:

would you stay on or day sail?

Mostly day sailing, but want the ability to make a weekend out of it. Longer than that and I'd have to single-hand! 

20 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Mostly day sailing, but want the ability to make a weekend out of it. Longer than that and I'd have to single-hand! 

ok.  i ask because that boat seems to have been primarily a day use racer (quite successfully it seems)  so very little added to facilitate comfort for broader use.  by this i mean no dodger or bimini which i assume might be quite useful for a day or two on the water in Texas!  the main  sleeping cabin seems to be the vberth and it has the prod and its rigging "right there"  which might get old if you were to use the boat for a lot of cruising.  nice boat though and i bet cruising along on a reach with a big sail rolled ff on the prod would be a hoot and half (and I'm a big fan of hoots  :>) )

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RogerC said:

It's a good thing I don't have the time or the money, because in spite of myself and its obvious utter foolishness, I've found a certain lust for https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/schooner-chapelle-pinky-3225140/

Some lust can be unwholesome, and that stern may be a bit too far off-piste

1 hour ago, andykane said:

Bull, those ones do seem to be there, just hidden. If you check Type > Sail, a new Sail category is added to the filters, which has those options. Some of the options might be hidden if there are no boats that match the criteria (ie daysailor will be hidden if no boats in your size range are listed as daysailors).

Still takes substantially more clicking and scrolling. Try filtering by manufacturer then trying to find near the end of the list!

You're right, Andy. My bookmark was pointing to http://yachtworld.com/ not https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/

And I thought I could get those filters. Silly me.

Thanks. Now I don't have to incite a mob.

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

Those filters never really worked anyway. They were dependent on the broker who input the boat.

A search on on Racing Boat would bring up wood square riggers and ferro center cockpits while leaving out many true racers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chester said:

ok.  i ask because that boat seems to have been primarily a day use racer (quite successfully it seems)  so very little added to facilitate comfort for broader use.  by this i mean no dodger or bimini which i assume might be quite useful for a day or two on the water in Texas!  the main  sleeping cabin seems to be the vberth and it has the prod and its rigging "right there"  which might get old if you were to use the boat for a lot of cruising.  nice boat though and i bet cruising along on a reach with a big sail rolled ff on the prod would be a hoot and half (and I'm a big fan of hoots  :>) )

For less initial outlay, slightly better performance, more cruising flexibility and a bigger market to sell into when the time comes, you might consider the Bene First 40.7. A similar boat that I always liked a lot is the C&C 37+ Tall Mast. Same PHRF rating (66 in Socal), nice owner cabin aft, same good looking C&C design although admittedly a bit older.

2 hours ago, chester said:

IF i was to embark on that project, I'd definitely modify to make less racy. Reinstall the table, add dodger and bimini for sure. Not much I can do about the V-Berth but offer to sleep on that side. I'd probably buy it expecting to spend 4-5 nights a year on it and spend 1 if I'm lucky. My real lust boat is a well kept J-109 though.  Probably a little more livable and owners in the JBoats forum seem to love them. But this one is close by and more affordable, so appealing in those respects

Definitely agree about hoots and this would probably provide plenty, particularly in a Corpus Christi breeze!

Edited by On The Hard
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

IF i was to embark on that project, I'd definitely modify to make less racy. Reinstall the table, add dodger and bimini for sure. Not much I can do about the V-Berth but offer to sleep on that side. I'd probably buy it expecting to spend 4-5 nights a year on it and spend 1 if I'm lucky. My real lust boat is a well kept J-109 though.  Probably a little more livable and owners in the JBoats forum seem to love them. But this one is close by and more affordable, so appealing in those respects

I can tell you that these boats are very comfortable for long term cruising and even living aboard. The sprit really does not get in the way, you can always extend it a foot or two to clear some headroom at anchor, and the V-berth is huge (for a sailboat) at almost 7 feet long. I own a 110 with a sprit and have been living aboard, coastal cruising and club racing it for the last 6 years. They sail well, maybe not to their rating, but as a cruiser they can really knock off the miles and are easy to short hand as they are pretty stiff boats that can carry a lot of sail area (partially due to them being heavier bare than listed by the manufacturer). I know of another 110 that is currently being cruised full time by a family of 4 (they left the PNW and are in Mexico area and have been for the past 2 years), so they are quite capable. The extra 2 feet that the 115 has over our 110s would make it that much easier to handle long term, there were just none around when I was shopping!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Those filters never really worked anyway. They were dependent on the broker who input the boat.

A search on on Racing Boat would bring up wood square riggers and ferro center cockpits while leaving out many true racers.

Well, that is true enough.

I just filtered on Day Sailers, and was surprised to learn that a 118' motorsailer is also a day sailer:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011/viking-ship-construction-motorsailer-2351088/

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Agreed, and of course there are always a few HunterBeneLina types found no matter what category is chosen.

Cheers!