Sourcing signal flags?

I want to build my own set of "inspirational" flag strings. Sort of like prayer flags you see all over, only better.

Where can individual signal flags be found? Instead of buying one or two complete sets, or how ever many you need for multiples of one letter.

21 minutes ago, SemiSalt said:

The are easy to find at, say, flagandbanner.com, but friggin' expensive when bought individually. 

You're right, individully they are stupid expensive. I did some looking and found an inexpensive decorative set for 10 bucks. Ordered two sets for the cost of a single.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw something recently about someone who'd got a whole sheet of flags printed, along with cut lines etc on a single piece of cloth. They just cut them out and stitched the webbing etc, think it was <$50 all-in for a complete set of flags for the Caribbean, I imagine similar things would be available for signal flags?

So I got my set of signal flags. What is proper protocol for displaying them?

Do they have to be strung vertical or can they be horizontal? Can the individual letters be hung either way?

What I would like to do is a horizontal string with the letters vertical. Which is opposite of how they appear in every photo I've seen of them.

Of course it's just going to hang in my shop so what the hell.

• Like 1

I have seen them vertical on flag lines up to the spreaders, near vertical up the backstay and headstay.   On ships, can be horizontal between masts.    You can pretty much do what you want with them.

Now, as to where to start your message in all of the hanging, you would probably have to reach out to an obsessive yachtie or US sailor to know where your message starts, if you are using signalling flags.

I see you have your flags, for anyone else who needs some flags:

http://www.headsflags.net/

They have been in Tampa since 1984, and they know flags....

- Stumbling

13 hours ago, bmiller said:

So I got my set of signal flags. What is proper protocol for displaying them?

Do they have to be strung vertical or can they be horizontal? Can the individual letters be hung either way?

What I would like to do is a horizontal string with the letters vertical. Which is opposite of how they appear in every photo I've seen of them.

Of course it's just going to hang in my shop so what the hell.

More than you ever wanted to know about signal flags and 'dressing ship' here.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm way too lazy to look up a dozen flags - what does that say?

(I presume it's something rude)

Not rude.

"Dont be stupid"

Backstory:  Whenever a new crew member joined I told them other than the department rules and regs I have two. And they are indisputable.

Rule #1. Don't be stupid

Rule #2. No whining

I need to buy another set of flags to complete the set.

Oh and in the process of making this I lost one of the d's, which in and of itself is stupid.