Rugby World Cup

Well it starts today in 30 minutes. 

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

Russia v Japan. 

And the scandal has already started with the Welsh 2nd coach on the plane back home already. 

Wales’s World Cup campaign has been thrown into disarray after their assistant coach, Rob Howley, was sent home from the tournament in Japan for suspected betting infringements.

The former Wales captain and scrum-half left Wales’s training camp on Monday to return home to assist with an investigation into a possible breach of World Rugby’s regulation six, which covers anti-corruption and betting. His departure from Kitakyushu comes just a week before Wales face Georgia in Toyota in their World Cup opener leaving Warren Gatland’s preparations for that game on Monday in flux.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/17/waless-rob-howley-sent-home-from-world-cup-amid-betting-allegations?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

7 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Big game for us tomorrow, almost a mini final.

Go Springboks!!!  Got my hat jersey at the Marketplace while in Cape Town..

BTW....  the whole Cape Town area rocks...  you live in a very nice place... wish we had more time there

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dorado said:

I'm currently watching the Aussies and Fijians beat the hell out of each other. It looks like a bunch of extremely fit, exceptionally tough morons playing in a schoolyard.

Well the old saying is:

Rugby union - a thugs game played by gentlemen

Soccer - a gentlemans game played by thugs

Rugby League - a thugs game played by thugs

And Australia has their first win - with one hell of a scare!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dorado said:

I'm currently watching the Aussies and Fijians beat the hell out of each other. It looks like a bunch of extremely fit, exceptionally tough morons playing in a schoolyard.

Call them morons to their faces and see how you get on. :lol:

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Anyone watching the kiwi SA game?  Rucks are a mess and ref doesn’t seem to give a shit.

At least you can see it. 

Many New Zealanders have expressed anger at not being able to watch the All Blacks’ first match of this year’s Rugby World Cup due to errors in a new streaming service, with more than 10,000 calling the service’s emergency hotline for assistance.

Rights for this year’s tournament in the rugby-mad island nation were bought by telecommunications giant Spark, which had planned to livestream games on a special website, Spark Sport, for a one-off fee of NZ$80, with no free-to-air alternative.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/21/new-zealanders-vent-anger-at-being-unable-to-watch-rugby-world-cup?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

4 hours ago, mad said:

Call them morons to their faces and see how you get on. :lol:

Well okay, but I'll be wearing a laughing pig mask and riding a fast motorcycle. The rest is up to you. :D

Those Fijians were just brutal in the first half but apparently not fit enough to go the distance. Good match. 

WFD the Aussies. 

6 hours ago, Keith said:

love the world cup, too bad all the games start at midnight here in Vancouver. :mellow:

The early games are going to cause mayhem in the UK.....is it acceptable to go to the pub at start drinking at 06.45? :P 

14 minutes ago, mad said:

The early games are going to cause mayhem in the UK.....is it acceptable to go to the pub at start drinking at 06.45? :P 

Good luck finding a pub open at such an early hour!

A good win for England against Tonga, grabbed the bonus point in the last few minutes.  There must have been some sore bodies after that one.

Wales secured the bonus point in the first half, then went to sleep, but scored the try of the tournament so far - George North after some incredible footwork by Tomos Williams to take out five defenders.

Tonight is Russia v Samoa - it should be a tight one, but my money would be on Samoa. 

3 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

A good win for England against Tonga, grabbed the bonus point in the last few minutes.  There must have been some sore bodies after that one.

Wales secured the bonus point in the first half, then went to sleep, but scored the try of the tournament so far - George North after some incredible footwork by Tomos Williams to take out five defenders.

Tonight is Russia v Samoa - it should be a tight one, but my money would be on Samoa. 

You have to feel sorry for the b and c grade teams in events like this.  Not being full time professional teams they just don't have the fitness of the top teams.  Two games in 4 days would be killer.

Samoa by 15 based upon passion and physicality alone.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

My perfect sporting weekend.  All Blacks won, Storm won, Collingwood lost.

All is right with the world and the Planets are precisely aligned.

I've banged on for a while now the Beauden should be at fullback.  Richie's playing well at 1st 5.  Twin playmaker/kicking options galore.  The opposition watches and plays catch up so it's always The ABs working out how to change the game.  Action - reaction.  Still suspect SA won't make the final.  England? Ireland?

1 hour ago, wal' said:

I've banged on for a while now the Beauden should be at fullback.  Richie's playing well at 1st 5.  Twin playmaker/kicking options galore.  The opposition watches and plays catch up so it's always The ABs working out how to change the game.  Action - reaction.  Still suspect SA won't make the final.  England? Ireland?

In Steve we trust

Samoa were lucky to finish the match with more than 13 yesterday - ref was ready to give a red for the first one when the video ref suggested the player was ducking - this changed the call and it was an almost carbon copy - even on the same Russian for the second yellow.

The Russians were knackered by the end, but probably deserved a try at the end, but just not enough inventiveness.

Italy v Canada could be a tight match.  No idea who will win.

England should get the bonus point win over USA.

7 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

When will Australian coaches/selectors learn you can't win big world cup games without a decent kicker in your starting lineup?

Think you need to start with a decent coach, then it might all fall into place, you might want to try another Kiwi. :rolleyes:

All Blacks vs Canada in about 6 hours

Should be good, I see former All Blacks coach Graham Henry has  been helping them out, before that he had gone to South America and helped out the Pumas which saw a massive improvement.

Should be good and 3 Barrett brothers playing might cause a nice sort of chaos.

Interesting question.

you're Canada going into a game against NZ.  Do you resign yourself to a massive loss, rest your A team for games where you might compete or field the strongest team possible to do the best you can?

Half way through the pool stages - everyone has played two games.

Here is my take (stating the obvious)

Pool A - crunch match is Japan v Scotland which is the last match of the pools - if Japan win, they go through top, if Scotland win then the placings with Ireland will come down to bonus points.

Pool B - Italy currently top, but I cannot see them beating either NZ or SA, who I think will go through in that order.

Pool C - England currently top, still to play France and Argentina.  I think they will beat France, but not certain about Argentina.  There could be a three way tie with bonus points deciding the order.

Pool D - Order decided - Wales first, Aus second.

Now watch this unravel........

On 10/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, Tunnel Rat said:

Half way through the pool stages - everyone has played two games.

Here is my take (stating the obvious)

Pool A - crunch match is Japan v Scotland which is the last match of the pools - if Japan win, they go through top, if Scotland win then the placings with Ireland will come down to bonus points.

Pool B - Italy currently top, but I cannot see them beating either NZ or SA, who I think will go through in that order.

Pool C - England currently top, still to play France and Argentina.  I think they will beat France, but not certain about Argentina.  There could be a three way tie with bonus points deciding the order.

Pool D - Order decided - Wales first, Aus second.

Now watch this unravel........

Well, I will hope for the unimaginable and have France beat England.... One can always hope...

19 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Well, I will hope for the unimaginable and have France beat England.... One can always hope...

The last time that happened was in 1066.

Reaching for my coat......

• Like 4

AUS V URG 45 -10

Aussies were average despite the win 2 sin binned for high tackles and URG made them work hard till the end.

Their sloppy play will not go unpunished against better teams.

ENG V ARG

The argies  made England work hard for most of the game despite being a man down from 17 mins in after lock was red carded for shoulder to neck/face of Farrell, after seeing the replay you have to wonder why Farrell wasn’t carted of for a HIA because it was probably why he failed 4 subsequent kicks at goal.

JPN-SAM 38-19

Once again they turned it on with a rapturous home crowd.

7 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

NZ will be getting a roasting from the coach over their first half performance. 

Apparently Steve Hansen gave the AB’s an epic tune up at half time which led to a quite different second half.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Wales Vs Fiji

Wales potentially at risk of taking Fiji lightly.

Fiji with nothing to loose looking to avoid a disappointing WC.

who and by how much?

Agree that if Wales take Fiji lightly it could get messy - but I don't think they will as the Welsh know they need to stay on top of the ladder in Pool D otherwise they'll meet England in the quarter finals.

Fiji will come out fighting and play a fast game - but as much as I'd like to see them win I reckon Wales will take it out by at least 10 points

41 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Wales by 15 - they will not be taking it lightly.

I think earlier in the tournament they might have.  But there have been enough scares and upsets that everyone has learnt their lesson.  I’m expecting a lot of kicking.  With wales trying to keep Fiji away from the try line and Fiji trying to keep outside goal kicking range.  If it’s a close game expect it to be played in between Wale’s 22 and halfway.

Due to Typhoon Hagibis:

Pool B match between New Zealand and Italy to be cancelled

Pool C match between England and France to be cancelled

I used the terminology of the official website here.

What do they mean by "cancelled"? Just postponed and to be played later and/or somewhere else? Or simply "will-not-be-played"???? And in that case, how does the scoring work???

The official website adds that supporters with tickets for those matches " will be entitled to a full refund on their match tickets." That statement alone makes me think that those games will not happen...

Anybody with more certain information?

12 hours ago, Laurent said:

Due to Typhoon Hagibis:

Pool B match between New Zealand and Italy to be cancelled

Pool C match between England and France to be cancelled

I used the terminology of the official website here.

What do they mean by "cancelled"? Just postponed and to be played later and/or somewhere else? Or simply "will-not-be-played"???? And in that case, how does the scoring work???

The official website adds that supporters with tickets for those matches " will be entitled to a full refund on their match tickets." That statement alone makes me think that those games will not happen...

Anybody with more certain information?

All teams with a cancelled match get two points. It will make no real difference in these groups, although I am pissed off that the Eng v Fra match is cancelled. I was looking forward to that.

If either Ire v Sam or Jap v Sco get cancelled it could have a massive effect on who goes through to the QFs. I hope only the two already announced are the only ones affected. 

TR is correct, each team gets 2 points for a 0 - 0 draw and cancelled means cancelled not postponed.

I hope Japan get through either by cancellation or by beating Scotland. this and the last World Cup they have really performed well, a quarter final spot is deserved.

Billiards is about the only sport that is going to be viable in Kanto this weekend.  Tokyo Disneyland is closed due to weather for the first time since a dump of snow in 1984. Horses, bicycles and boats are scratched. 

15 hours ago, jb5 said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/10/sport/scotland-typhoon-japan-rugby-world-cup-spt-intl/index.html

Scotland seeking legal advice in case their match on Sunday gets cancelled and they loose out on moving forward.

Good luck with that.  All of the nations signed up to the rules which are very clear. 

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules

I really don't like any insinuations that Japan will try and have the match cancelled.  Anyway - Ireland v Samoa today will give some idea of what Scotland need to do to get through, but I can't see them beating the Japanese.