smackdaddy

SailGP 2020

On 2/14/2020 at 3:56 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Larry inspired me to write an article for the first time in almost a year.  Sent to ed for publication

I couldn’t bare to post any more of his drivel but some sailing journalist, according to Clean nothing newsworthy has happened in sailing for a year that has been worth him writing about but this Trump thing is worth his toil. Talk about a fucking idiot 

A bit of wind this afternoon.

This is the first time I have seen these in the flesh. They are quite impressive close up, but I won't be watching the racing.

P1050076.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madboutcats said:

I couldn’t bare to post any more of his drivel but some sailing journalist, according to Clean nothing newsworthy has happened in sailing for a year that has been worth him writing about but this Trump thing is worth his toil. Talk about a fucking idiot 

The sad thing is it seems he actually thinks he has the "reach" to effect a particular outcome. He said this in another thread...
1669938287_ScreenShot2020-02-20at9_54_33AM.thumb.png.0a3a2497674ea941425186c3f65918f9.png

Talk about having your shiny head in the sand. There already IS widespread fan support for SailGP - for all the right reasons! The numbers prove that. Whether Clean and/or SA turn their wildly hypocritical noses up at it makes ZERO difference.

He tried to be the "Joe Rogan of Sailing". Now he's trying to be the "Bill Maher of Sailing". Both of those guys are very talented, very funny, and very smart.

4 hours ago, dorydude said:

A bit of wind this afternoon.

This is the first time I have seen these in the flesh. They are quite impressive close up, but I won't be watching the racing.

P1050076.JPG

I really like DEN's wing. I hope just once in a race we hear "trim on Holger"! Also, from a branding perspective, it's interesting to see FRA using a "non-GP" font for their country abbreviation. It will be cool to see these kinds of changes play out over time. How much freedom (and creativity) will the teams have in these designs?

App is primed and ready to go...

IMG_0477.png

I know what I'm doing next week!

Quick notes

- Jody Shiels / Randy Cunningham will be alternative audio stream one the app only. Go Jody! He's got the realtime insights and deadpan lines.

- Spotted a video of GBR in Sydney, probably first outing. FB or instagram. Looked very tentative/shy. Steady medium breeze, the boat was foiling fairly low, yet heeling so windward rudder almost pops out. Every wing trimmer has a first outing :-)  Sorry, no link. 

(I'm not saying I'd do anything better... but it looked very different from F50s properly ripping in stable breeze). 

• Like 1

Martin - have you seen anything on who the primary commentary talent is going to be?

15 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Why not?

Can't get interested in them or the series. I had two friends on my boat yesterday...between us there were decades of top level racing in high performance boats. After the first couple of passes, we all lost interest. None of us will be watching the racing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dorydude said:

Can't get interested in them or the series. I had two friends on my boat yesterday...between us there were decades of top level racing in high performance boats. After the first couple of passes, we all lost interest. None of us will be watching the racing.

You guys are obviously not the audience. Have fun insisting the world needs slow, old boats and sailors.

47 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

You guys are obviously not the audience. Have fun insisting the world needs slow, old boats and sailors.

I guess you missed the "high performance boats" part of my post. I enjoyed the Extreme series when it was on the harbour. I could watch skiffs all day. My boat is a  fast cruiser. We sailed up the harbour yesterday at 15 knots under autopilot while having lunch.

Something about these boats...they are so stable in flight, no discernible crew movement and don't fly extras. They are both surreal and boring. Also the huge speed differences mean you rarely have close racing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dorydude said:

I guess you missed the "high performance boats" part of my post. I enjoyed the Extreme series when it was on the harbour. I could watch skiffs all day. My boat is a  fast cruiser. We sailed up the harbour yesterday at 15 knots under autopilot while having lunch.

Something about these boats...they are so stable in flight, no discernible crew movement and don't fly extras. They are both surreal and boring. Also the huge speed differences mean you rarely have close racing.

Haha all the soccer mums of the sailing world like dory, Clean, Clew and co coming out to bag our exciting sport, you lot need to know Sailing GP wasn’t created for you big boat sailors with no courage, that think 15knots is worth quoting or even the fact you were on autopilot having lunch, truely your embarrassing. I love the format and the digging that Smack does so why do you lot keep coming to this thread to say your leaving

15 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

App is primed and ready to go...

IMG_0477.png

I know what I'm doing next week!

Are you a bot?

8 hours ago, dorydude said:

Like I said, you're obviously not the desired audience. And I can definitely tell you haven't much of SailGP is you don't think the racing is close.

You do you. But I'm definitely not interested.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Are you a bot?

Nah, a bot wouldn't be that annoying.  More likely a paid "influencer" to market Sail GP since we @ SA multihull are the target market.  Truthfully, the thread is much more of an enjoyable place to browse if you use SA controls to ignore smack.

1 hour ago, MultiThom said:

Nah, a bot wouldn't be that annoying.  More likely a paid "influencer" to market Sail GP since we @ SA multihull are the target market.  Truthfully, the thread is much more of an enjoyable place to browse if you use SA controls to ignore smack.

Given the circumstances, that's actually kind of hilarious.

Okay, SailGP, you know I love ya...but...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-10.49.27-AM.pn

With all the epoxy-covered carbon fiber and plastic roaming the race course, let's not get too carried away. Yes, I know, you're talking about the footprint of the events - and that's great - but still.

It is really easy to "turn off" posts by someone.  Just click on your screen name in the upper right and scroll down to "ignored users".  It is typically easy to spot influencers...they get paid by the post so you typically see a lot of posts from them on the target thread.  

I'm not being paid by anyone. I'm just a fan. So you're full of it as usual there tommy.

Of course, I should be. I'm a one-man hit machine. Most every thread I start pretty quickly become the most-viewed in forums they are in.

What's funny is you come into this thread I started and have the most posts in by far, to ignore? Have you really thought that through? You really should because you're looking pretty silly.

• Like 1

Now that's pretty cool over 1,000 followers in just a couple of weeks? The Danes must have not got the memo that some bitter old dudes on SA don't like SailGP...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-1.04.39-PM.png

13 hours ago, dorydude said:

So watch skiffs. That's fine with me.

My youngest son and I did over 16 knots on our 1973 Spirit 17 beachcat on a pretty relaxed day at the lake. So, I guess it's "high performance" too according to your standard (we would have smoked you). But I'm under no illusions that it's even remotely like SailGP...though we did take first in this particular race...

FIASCO50_600.png

• Like 2

Heh...I KNEW it!!! Way to go Russell! That will be such a sweet return to a country currently represented by very whingy dudes!

1582310606106.jpg

Kiwi yachting legend Sir Russell Coutts intends to have personal involvement with a New Zealand team in an expanded SailGP.

He explained that the initial fleets – Spain and Denmark have been added this year with China dropping out – were built around commercial realities.

"Look at where the teams are from, they are generally from major media markets and that is generally the quickest way to grow an audience," Coutts said, noting that the next Sydney regatta had a 300 per cent increase in ticket sales on last year.

"Definitely it is on the plans to include New Zealand in the format.

"I may well become involved with a New Zealand team in the future as part of the management group or the ownership group. That's something that I'm definitely looking at and will pursue."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/119611060/sir-russell-coutts-to-get-back-in-new-zealand-colours-in-sailgp-expansion-plans

300% YOY growth. Oh, and there's this...

Coutts is happy with the current lineup, saying a quick look at the historical medal table of Olympics sailing shows "we have six of the top seven countries [from the Olympics] sailing SailGP".

Oh dear - Clean is just looking sillier and sillier - asperush. Heh.

At first I thought the closed-caption was wrong....then I saw the mark. Pretty funny...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-22-at-11.20.01-AM.pn

On 2/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

More than 2,300 Oracle employees have signed a petition against a fundraiser for President Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign that’s reportedly scheduled to be held on Wednesday at a Southern California property owned by founder and chairman Larry Ellison.

Hmm, I checked and Oracle has roughly  136,000 employees. So less than 2% of the employees signed that petition.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, oc_man said:

Hmm, I checked and Oracle has roughly  136,000 employees. So less than 2% of the employees signed that petition.

I also noticed Clean failed to go after the UFC? Seems a bit myopic in his outrage. But whatever...back to sailing.

C'mon fellas, send it!

Screen-Shot-2020-02-23-at-11.50.14-AM.pn

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 6:14 AM, smackdaddy said:

Now that's pretty cool over 1,000 followers in just a couple of weeks? The Danes must have not got the memo that some bitter old dudes on SA don't like SailGP...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-1.04.39-PM.png

1300 followers? That's nothing for a professional national team in an allegedly high profile international event  . If you take away all the GP crews and shore teams and their immediate friends and family members you will probably find that virtually no one is following them.

19 minutes ago, dorydude said:

1300 followers? That's nothing for a professional national team in an allegedly high profile international event  . If you take away all the GP crews and shore teams and their immediate friends and family members you will probably find that virtually no one is following them.

Heh - you're still here? I thought you went on and on about how disinterested you are.

Anyway, it's a "professional national team" that didn't even exist until about 4 weeks ago - and didn't have a FB presence at all until a little over a week ago. If you're gonna try your hand at smacktalking, you're gonna have to move a lot faster than 15 knots to keep up. Definitely not "high performance".

8 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Heh - you're still here? I thought you went on and on about how disinterested you are.

Anyway, it's a "professional national team" that didn't even exist until about 4 weeks ago - and didn't have a FB presence at all until a little over a week ago. If you're gonna try your hand at smacktalking, you're gonna have to move a lot faster than 15 knots to keep up. Definitely not "high performance".

You are free to pretend that the Sail GP circus is popular.

After all, some people are attracted to follow the weirdest and most boring sports and pastimes. Each to their own.

Just because these boats are unquestionably fast doesn't mean they are interesting. 

Time will tell, but I doubt it will catch on.

Last season I was able to watch via the app without too many issues, but I'm going to be in Australia for the first event and it looks like the only options are Foxtel and Kayo according to the Sail GP site.  Can someone in Oz confirm the app will also work? 

14 hours ago, dorydude said:

Poor old Dory has to keep coming back for some attention because no one pays any attention when his pig boat floats by at 15 knots on auto pilot bwahaaaa I almost feel sorry for the dick head

What a shot...this is going to be awesome...

Screen-Shot-2020-02-24-at-2.15.23-PM.png

Anyone have a forecast for the race days?

Fresh and exciting

OR

less than 5, so a non foiling lottery

Looks sporting...

1355664065_ScreenShot2020-02-25at11_04_25AM.png.c840e54ee68f3b62bf3e7f09d8646a7d.png

At least Leweck is actually doing his freakin' job...from his interview with RK...

There’s seven teams this season, which is one more than 2019. How far can this grow? Is there a limit as to how many teams can be on the course?

Ideally, the more the merrier. We’d love to see 12 to 14 teams. I don’t think the racecourse is necessarily the issue but rather limitations within the infrastructure. With the size of the boats, wings, and all the equipment, I suspect there’d be limits on the footprint of the event sites before you run out of space.

However, I do think there will be more teams involved next year, which is a very positive sign for SailGP to be growing. I know there’s more teams in the wings right now, but the league has done a great job of managing the growth so as to not get ahead of itself. There’s a process and a method to the madness; they’ve stuck to their guns, and it shows.

The naysayers might start to look pretty silly soon.

More to come...

Oh yeah....

Screen-Shot-2020-02-25-at-11.50.44-PM.pn

As mentioned above, here are the remaining parts to Rome's interview with SS/CL...great stuff with some good inside info...

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/02/25/us-sailgp-team-making-strides-for-2020/

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/02/26/us-sailgp-team-the-commercial-race/

I noticed one of your 2019 teammates, Dan Morris, joined an America’s Cup team. Do you see SailGP being a gateway for bigger opportunities?

Considering the America’s Cup is steeped in history, I can’t fault guys for chasing that dream. I chased that dream for seven or eight years, but SailGP hopefully will, one day, rival the America’s Cup in terms of prestige and as an event which consistently attracts the top sailors.

Even this year we have Ben Ainslie’s team coming in as they see the value of racing foiling boats amid the high level of competitors that are involved.

Racing foiling boats at a high level, there’s a huge premium on it; there’s definitely America’s Cup teams that see value in that, which is good. It’s good for SailGP, it’s good for our team, and it’s good for the sport. However, one day I can see SailGP being such a premier league where guys will start choosing SailGP over the America’s Cup. Time will tell.

Let’s talk about the league structure. There’s private funding right now, but the goal of SailGP is to be a commercially sustainable circuit within five years. That’s going to take the teams to step up with their own funding. How’s that work?

Last year and this year, each team has been given an equal budget. I won’t say how much or how it has changed, but the mission now is to begin reimbursing the league. The money our team brings in decreases the league’s commitment to us, and if we bring in an amount in excess to the budget number, then we can leverage that advantage over the other teams.

For now, we have our funding target, and while that target does not surpass our operating budget, it remains a possibility, sitting here at the beginning of the season. It’s going to be tough, but I have no doubt we can achieve it. There’s definitely pressure on us to sell, which is good. I think with a bit of pressure, you’ll see our team succeed, and I’m excited for the season on the water and off the water.

I want us to be self-sufficient, and we’re pushing pretty hard to be self-sufficient. Once we get there, that allows us to potentially get more training time. This would give us an advantage, so we need to take the business side as serious as we do the competitive side, but I believe in our team, and I have no doubt that we can get there.

Presser from earlier...

In the presser above...Ben asked why he came over to SailGP (10:34):

"After seeing last year and these boats, the racing, the way these teams developed, the iconic venues - as a racing sailor you want to be involved at the top level...and it was clear to me that this is it....it's the best sailing I've ever done..."

Have I been calling this from the beginning or what?

Nuff said.

Will this be watchable online on youtube, fb or the app, for folks based in the US, tonight when it happens (10pm ET as I understand it)? 

In prior rounds, there was a big "watch live" button in the app on race day, and it said "no, not yet" if you clicked it early. Right now I see a "buy tickets to Sydney" button, which offers tickets to shark island venue.

10 minutes ago, martin 'hoff said:

Will this be watchable online on youtube, fb or the app, for folks based in the US, tonight when it happens (10pm ET as I understand it)? 

In prior rounds, there was a big "watch live" button in the app on race day, and it said "no, not yet" if you clicked it early. Right now I see a "buy tickets to Sydney" button, which offers tickets to shark island venue.

I'll be tuning in via the app. I've no reason to believe it won't be available at race time.

Sailgp is yachting's harlem globetrotters. a corporate response to being defeated in AC by  a brutally good NZ team who used these boats for purpose and quickly ditched them after victory (for something even more extreme - but the AC is not exhibition racing, at least). IMHO the Sydney 18 footers that race every Sunday is a much more interesting spectacle, presented far better by a superior commentary team. tippy skiffs which sail in and on the water with 3 on trapeze, spinnakers, expert commentary, free to view on web and youtube. https://www.18footers.com.au/18-footers-sailing/18-footers-tv/ The annual 'world' championship the JJ Giltinan is coming up from mid-March. Real racing on real courses almost every day for a fortnight.

• Like 1

Never heard of it. Maybe you should start a thread.

App. 17m.

And we're live. Later everyone - I'm gonna watch some great racing.

Wow. Great first race. Collisions, penalties, huge lead changes, awesome.

Definitely not a fan of the "sound of the sea" fx track. And not yet convinced that the replacement of Jody and Shirley was a good call. Saskia and Stevie are pretty rough.

My boys were 4th.

Very cool addition is this Data Analysis segment. Here Matt is breaking down the collision...

IMG_0482.png

2nd race it postponed for a bit...

@nd race

9 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Team USA has a serious case of sucking ass

A flavor and bouquet you know well, I'm sure. Heh.

2:50 to next race. Clean is jealous, irrelevant, and his mascara is running.

About 15 knots of wind - USA and GBR take the start...

AUS really screaming back...

And AUS drop back again to 06. GBR and USA really battling...

DEN fairing much better this race...sucks that FRA had to sit out...

USA just pulled a bad move and dropped from 2 to 5...JPN has come from that back into 2. GREAT racing.

ESP looking great coming into 2 now and JPN in 3.

Anyone who was talking about boring racing is a freakin' idiot.

USA back into 3. JPN back to 5.

GBR is absolutely crushing it. AUS is in flames...but just jumped up into 3...but it's a really tight pack.

Wow. That's easily some of the best sailing ever. You can see why Ben was so keen on SailGP. Nothing comes close.

3:00 to next race...Inspire kids out ripping it...

IMG_0484.png

If I hear this moron say "Alpha Male" one more time, I'm going to slap Four.

Penalties everywhere on the start - but USA is leading. Very closely packed...

Several lead changes - really tight racing...GBR in 3, JPN leading...

Now ESP leading, GBR in 2, JPN 3

AUS in 6. Getting killed...

GBR, ESP, JPN, USA

GBR, ESP, USA...

Great racing today. Looking forward to tomorrow. Tough to be AUS today.

IMG_0486.png

Very tight racing. This is what it's all about.

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Heh 

commentators have a hard job talking over the clown show 

Why are you here Clean? Shouldn’t you be painting more non slip on your big mono so you can sail safely and slowly without spilling your Chardonnay 

People knock Ben, but, you have to say, when it's one design, he rarely loses.

20 years on from his first Olympic gold. Not a bad return to Sydney harbour. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Are they live streaming this circus?

Linky please.

No linky for you. Use your brain and look it up yourself, Grahame

Is the sailgp site totally messed up or what ? I keep landing on 2019 races pages looking for results and stuff.

Is the French boat repaired ? reparaible for this race ? next one ?

In fact it's the french version that is fucked up, the english one seems to behave normally

6 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

People knock Ben, but, you have to say, when it's one design, he rarely loses.

20 years on from his first Olympic gold. Not a bad return to Sydney harbour. 

I was completely blown away. I know his history, but for him to walk in and dominate the way he did was just amazing. There's no question he got a top-notch crew that had a lot of experience on the F50, but still.

But I was also impressed with JPN. With his team shifting so much, he was able to keep them focused and still sail very strongly.

Slingers and team just fell part.

Everyone else was very tightly packed in terms of performance. This is going to be a great season.

9 hours ago, madboutcats said:

Why are you here Clean? Shouldn’t you be painting more non slip on your big mono so you can sail safely and slowly without spilling your Chardonnay 

He desperately needs attention. If something big is happening in sailing, he thinks he's relevant enough to matter to the discourse. He's not.

Speaking of horrible insight and commentary - they need to re-think this current team immediately. They are almost as bad as Clean. And that's saying a lot.

I bet Jody and Shirley are shaking their heads.

I really do like the Data Analysis segments though. That really helps explain things to the non-sailing audience. Brilliant.

1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

But I was also impressed with JPN. With his team shifting so much, he was able to keep them focused and still sail very strongly.

Slingers and team just fell part.

Everyone else was very tightly packed in terms of performance. This is going to be a great season.

INEOS is a very well funded America's Cup team getting some practice. They were awesome. Iirc they also had money to pay for sim time. Money talks. My faves for Prada btw. Hope Ben gets a fast AC75

Nathan was awesome given he lost membership  to Ineos.

Let's see how they all do with same wings in SF.

If AUS does not get sponsors they are dead and Tom et al will end up on RC's  "developing" Kiwi team. 

INEOS is a very well funded America's Cup team getting some practice.

It's good to check in with the minor league like this team-building exercise.  Ben's done this with a bunch of the less prestigious classes like the F50 over the years.

If AUS does not get sponsors they are dead and Tom et al will end up on RC's  "developing" Kiwi team.

Tom's track record at raising sponsor dollars ain't great.  Not sure if they have a full time sales person, but  whether or not they do, it's gonna be hard to find that 7M and much harder if they're screwing around at the back of the fleet.

14 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

INEOS is a very well funded America's Cup team getting some practice. They were awesome. Iirc they also had money to pay for sim time. Money talks. My faves for Prada btw. Hope Ben gets a fast AC75

Nathan was awesome given he lost membership  to Ineos.

Let's see how they all do with same wings in SF.

If any of these teams don't get sponsors, they are dead. That has been made very clear from the beginning. So this certainly isn't news.

Again, as for SailGP, it's doing exactly what it was built to do. And it's about the best thing that can happen for the world of sailing.

7 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Tom's track record at raising sponsor dollars ain't great.  Not sure if they have a full time sales person, but  whether or not they do, it's gonna be hard to find that 7M and much harder if they're screwing around at the back of the fleet.

I know. Tears.

6 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

If any of these teams don't get sponsors, they are dead. That has been made very clear from the beginning. So this certainly isn't news.

###OK

Again, as for SailGP, it's doing exactly what it was built to do. And it's about the best thing that can happen for the world of sailing.

Not sure about that. Commerce, sport, just not sure.

You are younger so will see how it goes.

14 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I know. Tears.

Give him a shout and offer your help.  I bet you can raise some money for him in exchange for some VIP passes!

Again, as for SailGP, it's doing exactly what it was built to do.

Which, apparently and ironically, is to serve as a series of practice regattas for an America's Cup challenge which, coincidentally, is the only team who paid the full 2020 entry fees.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Give him a shout and offer your help.  I bet you can raise some money for him in exchange for some VIP passes!

He needs to get Lang Walker on board.