I'm a police officer and a swat team member, ask me anything?

On 12/11/2019 at 4:38 AM, Ed Lada said:

I grew up in the '60s and '70s watching news reports of riots in the streets, cities burning, students gunned down at Kent State and Jackson State universities.  But that was the Civil Rights era and there was an unpopular war being waged in Asia.  At least there were obvious reasons for the civil unrest.

This just happened in New Jersey.  It has become the new normal. A lengthy shoot out with 4 fatalities, including a police officer.  Where in the hell did we go wrong?

gettyimages-1187759099.jpg

It seems the one thing that people forget about the 60s and early 70s were the high number of bombings there were. People didn't get into shoot outs with the police, but they did try to blow up the police station or leave a pipe bomb under a cop car. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So overall the police in America are incredibly well behaved, but I have no issue admitting there are bad examples out there. Sadly those are the ones that get posted to YouTube. I took 24 calls for s

Dick!  Just saying.  

Yeah, yeah, yeah.    None of us falling for this anymore until we see it in a f**king book.      VG, have you got an old fashioned typewriter and triplicate papers in a store room you ca

Posted Images

One thing I miss were the wood high rise mega structures that would get framed to the top

Then go up like a kristmass tree in January

No Balls around anymore

3 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

Do you think civilians should be banned from owning assault weapons?

No, not at all, what ever you define an assault weapon as.  

If you mean AR15s and similar weapons I fully believe law abiding citizens have the intrinsic right to own weapons, and honestly believe many current firearms laws infringe upon that right.

But I know gun conversations on here spiral usually, so if you want to debate guns, let start a new thread and I will comment there all you want.

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

This is a bad ass assault weapon!

Those things actually work. Our outdoor parties used to be plagued by lots of flies, especially as we got a few days into the party.

My brother brought a dozen or so of those and the teenagers (joined by adults who are resistant to growing up) started taking them out.

A couple of days of fly-attracting partying later, I had to hunt around for 5 minutes just to find ONE to shoot. And it seemed scared. Then seemed dead.

I have a few of them now, three new in box. Pro tip: don't leave salt in them when storing. If you do it will solidify and you can't clean these so it's history.

5 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Those things actually work. Our outdoor parties used to be plagued by lots of flies, especially as we got a few days into the party.

My brother brought a dozen or so of those and the teenagers (joined by adults who are resistant to growing up) started taking them out.

A couple of days of fly-attracting partying later, I had to hunt around for 5 minutes just to find ONE to shoot. And it seemed scared. Then seemed dead.

I have a few of them now, three new in box. Pro tip: don't leave salt in them when storing. If you do it will solidify and you can't clean these so it's history.

I'll bet that's a regional issue. Likely wouldn't happen up here.

15 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Question: What is the deal with cops abusing and handcuffing kids at school? I am not talking about a fight with a 6 foot teenager, more like slamming and cuffing a 7 year old. WTF????

Ya, why confuse them thinking they will be responsible for their personal behavior  anytime in the future.

Cuffing them will only lead them to eventualy voting to ban cuffs, guns, radios, courts & jails

Allowing for Free collage courses in applying for guberbent subsidies 

33 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Ya, why confuse them thinking they will be responsible for their personal behavior  anytime in the future.

Cuffing them will only lead them to eventualy voting to ban cuffs, guns, radios, courts & jails

Allowing for Free collage courses in applying for guberbent subsidies 

Read the back story first - there's a whole lot that's open to misinterpretation.  
https://abcnews.go.com/US/year-boy-handcuffed-florida-school-allegedly-attacking-teacher/story?id=52672982

21 minutes ago, LenP said:

I am guessing you were talking about this one? 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-police-officer-arresting-6-year-old-girl-school-n1142356

The cop in this case was fired, however it does seem like the firing was overdue. 

That school should be closed down by the state.  We had police on site at two of the high schools I taught at in Detroit but I don't remember them ever being in a classroom.  Calling the cops to deal with a 6-yo girl.  Crazy!

6 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

That school should be closed down by the state.  We had police on site at two of the high schools I taught at in Detroit but I don't them ever being in a classroom.  Calling the cops to deal with a 6-yo girl.  Crazy!

Before you call the school crazy - it might be helpful to ask what they've been told that they are required to do.   I know that teachers are almost absolutely forbidden to put hands on a kid - and are told to "call the resource officer" if a student's behavior warrants physical restraint. 

26 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Before you call the school crazy - it might be helpful to ask what they've been told that they are required to do.   I know that teachers are almost absolutely forbidden to put hands on a kid - and are told to "call the resource officer" if a student's behavior warrants physical restraint. 

And I know I was a teacher for five years and don't know what a "resource officer" even is.  This doesn't sound like it was a singular day occurrence and grandma had been communicating with the school.  Easy, give the kid a one week suspension.  But calling the cops?  Six years old is a very young child and hardly physically intimidating with wrists too small to fit in handcuffs.  

You are correct that teachers are discouraged from physically going hands on, but they are allowed to defend themselves.  The only things I was required to do was alert my chain of command if I believed a student was being abused or suffered from neglect at home.  My superiors would then inform the legal system.  

The school is still crazy in my view.

Many schools now have officers assigned to them, which I think is awesome and a great way to keep the schools and students safer. The problem is, many times those officers are used to handle administrative issues vs. Legal issues. 

As for cuffing a 6 year old, I do think it is crazy to do and I can't see it being a reasonable thing. But I can also see how it has gotten to where it happens. Teachers are not allowed to physically discipline at all or even touch a student. So now you have a student who is physically acting out, what's the solution, call the officer who has no training on how to deal with a physically abusing 6 year old. 

Everyone is trying to.avoid the liability of dealing with kids acting out and right now that liability has rolled down hill to the cops. Just like many other responsibilities outside of schools.

• Like 5
On 3/11/2020 at 6:33 AM, V. Green said:

Many schools now have officers assigned to them, which I think is awesome and a great way to keep the schools and students safer. The problem is, many times those officers are used to handle administrative issues vs. Legal issues. 

As for cuffing a 6 year old, I do think it is crazy to do and I can't see it being a reasonable thing. But I can also see how it has gotten to where it happens. Teachers are not allowed to physically discipline at all or even touch a student. So now you have a student who is physically acting out, what's the solution, call the officer who has no training on how to deal with a physically abusing 6 year old. 

Everyone is trying to.avoid the liability of dealing with kids acting out and right now that liability has rolled down hill to the cops. Just like many other responsibilities outside of schools.

America the great, is really a just a steaming pile of shit if you need officers at schools to protect your children. My condolences. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, dreadom said:

America the great, is really a just a steaming pile of shit if you need officers at schools to protect your children. My condolences. 

Just because a government decides to send officers to "many" schools doesn't mean it's needed, just means it's politically popular.

20 minutes ago, Plenipotentiary Tom said:

Just because a government decides to send officers to "many" schools doesn't mean it's needed, just means it's politically popular.

You possibly are correct. I guess stationing officers and guards at schools is more popular than doing something about the real problem. Doesn’t change the fact that the USA is sad, hateful, xenophobic shit stain that barely resembles its true potential. 

11 hours ago, dreadom said:

My son and his friends liked the officer assigned to their high school. She would hang around the cafeteria and talk to them about whatever was on their minds. They are not all bad actors.

3 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

My son and his friends liked the officer assigned to their high school. She would hang around the cafeteria and talk to them about whatever was on their minds. They are not all bad actors.

Not refuting that she or other officers aren’t nice. Just commenting that their existence  is proof of how fucked up the place is. 

The US has its issues, big ones. Same with Australia and every other human society. The issues vary from culture to culture, but they're all some flavor of fucked up. What you see from your high horse 8000 miles away tends to be mostly the bad stuff and little of the good stuff that most assuredly does exist in the US. 

I consider our current government to be the worst in my lifetime by a long shot, possibly the worst in our history. But there's enough good here to keep me in the fight to make it better. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dreadom said:

You possibly are correct. I guess stationing officers and guards at schools is more popular than doing something about the real problem. Doesn’t change the fact that the USA is sad, hateful, xenophobic shit stain that barely resembles its true potential. 

Ignoring the PA style drivel in that ( I guess) is written solely to generate a reaction, I will propose that sending in officers into schools is a A+ idea.  And here is why.

Many folks have little interaction with police, and when they do, it is usually a traffic situation, or a really bad scene.  So why not have the kids see that police are humans, with no ulterior motives than to do their job.  Video games and movies sensationalize.  Fire fighters are the nations heros right?  So why not the police.  

Their job is to do what we as a nation have mandated them to do.  Are there bad actors?  sure...  but that is a different topic.

I think the police are smartening up to see that they need to be out in public more, and beyond responding to calls.

Sadly, around here, they are chronically understaffed, so most go from call to call dealing with the homeless and mental health issues that plague the cities.

• Like 3

Service sidearm (pistol on the belt in layman’s terms) of your choice. I’m going to guess standard issue Glock 9mm?  Just curious as to your preference. 

My dad was Honolulu PD for 40 years, and he always carried either a .40 or .45. I grew up on the range every Sunday. Helped me immensely with my sidearm qualifications and my anti-terrorism training as a merchant marine officer. 

11 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

Service sidearm (pistol on the belt in layman’s terms) of your choice. I’m going to guess standard issue Glock 9mm?  Just curious as to your preference. 

My dad was Honolulu PD for 40 years, and he always carried either a .40 or .45. I grew up on the range every Sunday. Helped me immensely with my sidearm qualifications and my anti-terrorism training as a merchant marine officer. 

We issue Glock 17s in 9mm, but officer can carry their own firearms if they qualify. I currently carry a Glock model 45 in 9mm with a red dot on it.

Basically anything I carry pistol wise is a Glock of some sort, but this is what I trust my life to daily.

The red dot allows me to shoot under night vision with the tactical unit without having an IR laser mounted to the gun. 

I am qualified on several other Glock 9mm pistols and rotate between them depending on what I am doing on any particular day.

20200319_010445.jpg

I used a 17 as part of my mandatory 100rds about 7yrs ago to get my concealed permit.  It is large, felt clunky, utilitarian, but went bang every time I pulled the trigger.  Not a conceal carry, but a reliable and accurate gun.  Vern, I'm only interested in carry guns, what do your troops carry as backup weapons?

On 3/11/2020 at 6:33 AM, V. Green said:

Sounds like a third world shithole country if that’s considered an awesome solution.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, V. Green said:

We issue Glock 17s in 9mm, but officer can carry their own firearms if they qualify. I currently carry a Glock model 45 in 9mm with a red dot on it.

Basically anything I carry pistol wise is a Glock of some sort, but this is what I trust my life to daily.

The red dot allows me to shoot under night vision with the tactical unit without having an IR laser mounted to the gun. 

I am qualified on several other Glock 9mm pistols and rotate between them depending on what I am doing on any particular day.

20200319_010445.jpg

Who did your grip mod?   I shoot a Model 21 - too big to be a CCW, but I like how it works.

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I used a 17 as part of my mandatory 100rds about 7yrs ago to get my concealed permit.  It is large, felt clunky, utilitarian, but went bang every time I pulled the trigger.  Not a conceal carry, but a reliable and accurate gun.  Vern, I'm only interested in carry guns, what do your troops carry as backup weapons?

Most of us carry Glock 43s, 43X's or Glock 26s off duty and for concealed carry. I carry a Glock 19 off duty quite a bit. 

I hear from lots of people that Glocks feel clunky or square. Once you get used to them there is no better fighting pistol made.  I attend and instruct many firearm classes a year and above any other brand Glocks do not have issues. If they do have issues it is because someone put a non factory part in the gun.  

I'll modify the outside, but won't touch the internals. They are incredibly reliable. I have my fathers old service glock he was issued in 2000. It has close to 30k rounds through it, other than springs it is all stock and runs like a clock. 

20 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Who did your grip mod?   I shoot a Model 21 - too big to be a CCW, but I like how it works.

I did it, really pretty easy to do with a wood burner. It isn't the best job ever but it provides extra grip.

• Like 1

FWIW,  my current favorite concealed carry is a Sig P239 in .357sig.  It checks all of the boxes of being compact, not too big of a recoil, and plenty of "stopping" power.  This particular gun was developed for concealed carry by the secret service.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, V. Green said:

High School for me was 72 to 72 and the VP/coaches had paddles. I saw guys getting swats for mouthing off to the coaches often.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, dreadom said:

If many parents did not think that society was responsible for their child's discipline, things would be much better.

Some people should never have children

• Like 1
On 3/19/2020 at 5:31 AM, Mikey Don’t Like Sh*t said:

FWIW,  my current favorite concealed carry is a Sig P239 in .357sig.  It checks all of the boxes of being compact, not too big of a recoil, and plenty of "stopping" power.  This particular gun was developed for concealed carry by the secret service.

Well aren't you special.  Scared of your shadow, are you?

• Like 1
On 3/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, V. Green said:

20200319_010445.jpg

You mean that you have different types of people you want to threaten on different days?  What a fun person you are!

4 hours ago, Left Shift said:

You mean that you have different types of people you want to threaten on different days?  What a fun person you are!

Dick! 

Just saying.  

• Like 6

This thread died a year ago. I assume, because Dick's like LS, kept lobbing shit at VG. I don't think I have seen a post by VG in about a year. Too bad as he was a reasoned and responsible perspective on a field that few here have any clue about.

WL

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Dick! 

Just saying.  

Worse than that I'm sure. 

Yet I have no doubt that VG would still come to his aid if he needed help. 

Tough job. Thankless job. 

There's a bit of a difference between a cop and SWAT officer, and the kind of crazed gunlicker LS seems to picture.

Vern discussing different guns for different requirements is the same as a mechanic/landscaper/machinist or whatever discussing the best tools for a given job. 

In my experience, cops range from smart, kind but effective professionals to dumb nasty brutes, with a tiny sprinkling of near-saints and plain evil fuckers.  The vast majority are somewhere around the middle.

Just like people in general, with the exception that for most of us our ass is not potentially on the line, every shift.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Vern is the reason we can't have nice or kind things.

This Outta Detroit :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yup

Chicago protests: Mayor Lightfoot imposes curfew after day of rallies over  George Floyd killing turns violent - ABC7 Chicago

20 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Vern is the reason we can't have nice or kind things.

He is???  Why is that, pray tell?

11 hours ago, Burning Man said:

He is???  Why is that, pray tell?

I was confused as well by that statement.

I speculate that it was just the brain moving faster than the fingers on the keyboard and some punctuation and small words got eliminated in error.

I could be wrong...  it's just a guess.

8 hours ago, Windward said:

I was confused as well by that statement.

I speculate that it was just the brain moving faster than the fingers on the keyboard and some punctuation and small words got eliminated in error.

I could be wrong...  it's just a guess.

It was not a nice thing to say about Vern, who I/we mostly respect, and admire, for his service, and willingniess to connect to people; but maybe you are right.....

Vernon, any thoughts about Police Athletic/Activity Leagues in your area?

We used to have an excellent PAL in my area, they sponsored boxing, baseball, football and they had an excellent marching band. Like many PALs in the rest of the country, they were gradually defunded, privatized as 501(c)3s and then left on the vine to wither and die. At-risk kids lost the sports, they lost the activities, they lost the chance to spend time around cops and correctionals and view them as parts of their communities. That was important, especially as beat patrols were eliminated.

And now they do the "have breakfast with a cop" or internet Q&As like this one, which don't touch potentially troubled kids in any meaningful way. It seems now there is little if any interest in keeping PALs afloat, and instead of the police taking on a custodial position with their neighborhoods, they've reverted to a kind of political activism designed to protect their trade.

Now as an adult, I see my own kids protest at BLM rallies and the officers show up militarized. They could walk to the gate and talk to the protesters, but it rarely seems to happen. These aren't the police officers of my youth, they now seem to be closer to a kind of a paramilitary. The sheriff's deputies, troopers, fire fighters, fish and game, they seem as chill and pleasant as ever, but put the LEO into a city police department and the whole vibe changes. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the PAL, maybe just another symptom of feeling "embattled"?

Hey @mikewof. Porker's mate Randro was all  sorts of asshole to the resident cop in his cowardly fashion. He hasn't been seen since. Porker says he's a nice guy though. Hasn't been seen since

November 5, 2006
  • LAST VISITED

December 17, 2020
  •  

Another reason Randro has his own thread. I reported him about the abuse he was giving Verne and I’m glad he was flicked by the end of the day. Fucked that he’s allowed back.

• Like 3
On 5/1/2021 at 1:51 PM, mikewof said:

And now they do the "have breakfast with a cop" or internet Q&As like this one,

Careful Mikey, @Sail4beer will report you.

Nah, just you. It took my 4 years of your filth to hit the report button so you could join Brent Swain. They let you crawl back under the flick door. Doesn’t mean they won’t toss you permanently if you keep the shit up. Think about that for a bit.

6 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Nah, just you. It took my 4 years of your filth to hit the report button so you could join Brent Swain. They let you crawl back under the flick door. Doesn’t mean they won’t toss you permanently if you keep the shit up. Think about that for a bit.

Just ignore him. He's dedclared his irrelavance here, it's not real to him. He only posts to piss people off. Scroll on by & report at will. 

I know it bothers him since  he keeps mentioning me so it brings me some satisfaction and gives him pause to consider his actions. I have no one on ignore and feel fine about calling him out. Someone has to do it. I’m sure Verne just unsubscribed and left because Randumb wanted all the attention and badgered him about being a bullying, gun happy thug.

BJ also let Random know that having dinner with someone doesn’t mean pretending their online personality isn’t harmless to other people. 

18 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I’m sure Verne just unsubscribed and left because Randumb wanted all the attention and badgered him about being a bullying, gun happy thug.

Verne said he was cool with my comments, he said he did not report me.  Clearly when you engage in police community engagement, you get people with differing views.  Verne got that.

But you got your panties bunched.  Funni as fuck really, given the good old American 'Free Speech' thing.

Cancel your next manicure and harden the fuck up princess.

On 5/1/2021 at 11:29 PM, Sail4beer said:

Another reason Randro has his own thread. I reported him about the abuse he was giving Verne and I’m glad he was flicked by the end of the day. Fucked that he’s allowed back.

Pretty funny.

I've had you on ignore for years for pretty much the same crap you accuse Rando of.

Difference is.

I don't get all outraged and dob people in for filth and abuse.

I just ignore it.

Rando OTOH is waspish, sarcastic and never looks at the crumpled corpse beneath the piles of bricks he dumps. BUT he's rarely foulmouthed and abusive.

I've had a few pleasant exchanges with Vernon. I suspect he may have been going through a rough patch mentally and took the wise course of getting out.

It's not the first time he's disappeared for long stints.

Randro, when and how did you speak with Vern about your behavior?  I don’t recall seeing that exchange and toy meat have made quite the impression, I don’t think I’m the reason you and you shit got flicked. There must have been a few more people sick of you shit, so why don’t you try to htfu for once.

12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Randro, when and how did you speak with Vern about your behavior?  I don’t recall seeing that exchange and toy meat have made quite the impression, I don’t think I’m the reason you and you shit got flicked. There must have been a few more people sick of you shit, so why don’t you try to htfu for once.

But you did claim in this thread ....

"I reported him about the abuse he was giving Verne and I’m glad he was flicked by the end of the day."

Verne posted in this thread that he did not complain, didn't have a problem.  Look it up yourself.

BTW I hardened up a long time ago, you on the other hand, admitted reporting me.

You must have been offended.

Hmmm, so I’m so powerful that I got you flicked? 

you were flicked for being a dick and HTFU

15 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Pretty funny.

I've had you on ignore for years for pretty much the same crap you accuse Rando of.

Difference is.

I don't get all outraged and dob people in for filth and abuse.

I just ignore it.

Rando OTOH is waspish, sarcastic and never looks at the crumpled corpse beneath the piles of bricks he dumps. BUT he's rarely foulmouthed and abusive.

I've had a few pleasant exchanges with Vernon. I suspect he may have been going through a rough patch mentally and took the wise course of getting out.

It's not the first time he's disappeared for long stints.

Ignore me. 

You are SA’s punching bag all day long. I’ll try to tone down the foul mouth and abuse if you start using your brain and, oh, never mind. But I’ll try to tone it down a bit.

Really dicey environment for a LEO to be on social media in any capacity. It’s even possible his agency prohibits it. If I was a LEO I would stay the hell off social media nowadays. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Really dicey environment for a LEO to be on social media in any capacity. It’s even possible his agency prohibits it. If I was a LEO I would stay the hell off social media nowadays. 

You would think that, but it seems the opposite may be true.

"A 2013 social media survey from the International Association of Chiefs of Police found that 96 percent of police departments use social media in some capacity, more than 80 percent say it has helped them solve crimes, and 73 percent of agencies said it helped improve police-community relationships in their jurisdiction." 

8 minutes ago, Randro said:

You would think that, but it seems the opposite may be true.

"A 2013 social media survey from the International Association of Chiefs of Police found that 96 percent of police departments use social media in some capacity, more than 80 percent say it has helped them solve crimes, and 73 percent of agencies said it helped improve police-community relationships in their jurisdiction." 

Oh absolutely you’re right there. Most government agencies PD’s, Fire, EMS both public and private all have evolved a strong agency social media presence. My point was an individual officer speaking on social media......would be foolish. 

6 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Oh absolutely you’re right there. Most government agencies PD’s, Fire, EMS both public and private all have evolved a strong agency social media presence. My point was an individual officer speaking on social media......would be foolish. 

As I understand it US police departments are run by the State of County.  Plenty of room for differences between them.

What happened in this thread backs up your (and my) view on this.

1 minute ago, Randro said:

As I understand it US police departments are run by the State of County.  Plenty of room for differences between them.

What happened in this thread backs up your (and my) view on this.

No.....many many jurisdictions.....there are numerous federal law agencies with differing missions, FBI, CIA, BLM, BIA, National Parks and others each a federal law agency each with enforcement responsibilities specific to the venue. Then each state usually has a state police force with law enforcement powers on state land and sometimes numerous other agencies as well. For instance the CHP has responsibility on state highways and often rural state land. State parks have their own combination law enforcement/park ranger staff with LEO powers in those parks. Then each state is divided into county’s. Each county usually has a county sheriffs department with an elected sheriff whose jurisdiction is county responsibility unincorporated land. Often if there is a incorporated city that cannot or chooses not to have its own police department they will contract with the County Sheriffs Department to be their police department. As an example...California has 58 counties each with an elected sheriff who oversees the sheriffs department. Often these are quite large. LA County for instance has huge amounts of unincorporated land and a massive sheriffs department. Lastly individual incorporated cities often have their own municipal police department. Yes....penny of room for differences......and some very common practices and use of and treatment of social media is quite common. 

So far as a common view......there could be some overlap. I don’t pay that much attention but I wouldn’t rule it out.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

No.....many many jurisdictions.....there are numerous federal law agencies with differing missions, FBI, CIA, BLM, BIA, National Parks and others each a federal law agency each with enforcement responsibilities specific to the venue. Then each state usually has a state police force with law enforcement powers on state land and sometimes numerous other agencies as well.

Elections for head cops is a really fucked up concept that lends itself to corruption and incompetence.

9 hours ago, Randro said:

Elections for head cops is a really fucked up concept that lends itself to corruption and incompetence.

I don't agree with that. An appointed top cop is beholden to the people that appointed them. Our elected sheriff is beholden to his  voters.

1 hour ago, F_L said:

I don't agree with that. An appointed top cop is beholden to the people that appointed them. Our elected sheriff is beholden to his  voters.

Yeah like that asswipe Joe Arpaio!   

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

He was elected, then reelected by his constituents, until he wasn't. I like the way that works. I don't want to turn this thread into something that belongs in PA, so I'll leave it at that.

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

You gotta problem with Pretty in Pink?

4 hours ago, F_L said:

I understand that. Without devolving into a PA.....I'll just observe that the persons who be appointing the sheriff are themselves elected officials so the accountability would still be there without the politics. Which is the model in every incorporated city with a police force and it works quite well. I have worked for many many years.....did I say many many......with multiple city police agencies and a large county sheriffs agency. The politics associated with the campaign cycle etc is................a pain and often gets in the way of good decisions. 

Your experience may differ.

In some other countries, Police chiefs get the job because ... they are the best person for the job.

They are not elected  by a majority of rednecks.

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Who decides that?

Not redneck racists.

^ like a fish that was about to eat the bait but for some reason ... didn't.

Fishy.