There's a lot more to retirement than just finances.

How does one make that conversion from working 5 days a week to only a couple or not at all?

Retire at 60 and be a bit poorer but healthier or work as long as you can and be a bit wealthier and a bit/lot more physically  wrecked?

There's loads of stuff about financial planning but not a lot about keeping mentally and physically well and yet so many people work and save all their lives only to kick the bucket a few years after. Men are particularly susceptible to depression when paid work is gone.

Do you plan on how to fill all those empty hours before you retire, or just hope everything just transitions?

I've retired twice and failed.  Ended up back at work.  Certainly the cash is better working but that didn't really drive the decision.  First couple of months was  a flurry of deferred honey do's, catching up on the "when I have time" things on the boat, etc. but eventually that stuff runs out or at least slow way down.  SWMBO is younger and didn't retire when I did so that left me unsupervised most of the time.  

Current plan is to retire when she is ready and spend a lot of time doing things together.  Company has told me to plan on sticking around as a consultant under the "you can never leave" approach.  I started and grew this division so "ownership" of it is part of the draw.  We had our last kid when I was 40 so we're now at 1 grandchild, 1 engaged and 1 single so we plan to spend some quality grandparent time, do some traveling and spend more time on the boats.  

Agree that without planning and effort you can quickly find yourself bored and alone.  

I refuse to believe retirement should be driven by money. It should be driven by health. Do you really want to retire at an age where you can't travel, sail or whatever other hobby you do? Do you want to retire at an age you can't cuddle your grandkids?

There's volunteer work, clubs etc to keep you amused.

Maybe consider retirement less as "not working" and more of "a career change"?

Self employed carpenter, so technically I'm my own boss...usually still work a full 30-40 hr week, but got it dialled back enough that I can take off to fish, sail, hunt, whenever I feel like it...why on earth would I want to "retire" and start working for The Missus?...

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Grabbler said:

Self employed carpenter, so technically I'm my own boss...usually still work a full 30-40 hr week, but got it dialled back enough that I can take off to fish, sail, hunt, whenever I feel like it...why on earth would I want to "retire" and start working for The Missus?...

Ever ask a professional fisherman what he will do when he retires?

• Like 1

Retired at 60, I didn't have the million they say you need , but did make some mistakes, do you home work!

1- retired at the end of the year, I did it in sept, and was getting all kinds of back pay, used vacation , sick time kinda screw up my taxes , so start with a clean slate the first of the year,

2- Retire debt free, sold my house in NY pay off the yacht , and cars, and have been renting ever since, Renting good and bad, but if something break call the landlord.

3- Claim Socail Security as soon as you can , if you don't need the money, buy taxfree muni bonds, so when you start to need the money it's tax free.

4-RMD ( required minimun withdrawal ) at 701/2 the IRS wants you to start using your IRA/401k and taxes can be a killer, The new trump hurt more then helped , so talk to your tax account, plan ahead, maybe move monies into a roth?

5- keep busy with a hobby, ie sailing, I caught sea scouts to sail , they interned paid for dockage.

6- If single , DON"T GET REMARRIED , I remarried a women the same age as my daughter WTF,  so there went living debt free.

7- don't retire in florida it sucks, no state income tax, but every one wants your money,  HOA costs high, bar bills high,dockage high if you can get it, young girls looking for sugar daddies triple high,

8- florida is a very polluted state, beaches closed often , lakeO blue /green aglae. gators , land and water sharks, the noise pollution is the worst with constant sound of leaf blowers! every one has a rat dog, and you have to clean up after them, and none native species, boa's, Lion fish, and did I mention young blondes who will suck you dry, pun intended.

so with all that said I do it again in a heart beat, working only supports the MAN/boss and Bankers

hope this was helpful

7 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

Retired at 60, I didn't have the million they say you need , but did make some mistakes, do you home work!

1- retired at the end of the year, I did it in sept, and was getting all kinds of back pay, used vacation , sick time kinda screw up my taxes , so start with a clean slate the first of the year,

2- Retire debt free, sold my house in NY pay off the yacht , and cars, and have been renting ever since, Renting good and bad, but if something break call the landlord.

3- Claim Socail Security as soon as you can , if you don't need the money, buy taxfree muni bonds, so when you start to need the money it's tax free.

4-RMD ( required minimun withdrawal ) at 701/2 the IRS wants you to start using your IRA/401k and taxes can be a killer, The new trump hurt more then helped , so talk to your tax account, plan ahead, maybe move monies into a roth?

5- keep busy with a hobby, ie sailing, I caught sea scouts to sail , they interned paid for dockage.

6- If single , DON"T GET REMARRIED , I remarried a women the same age as my daughter WTF,  so there went living debt free.

7- don't retire in florida it sucks, no state income tax, but every one wants your money,  HOA costs high, bar bills high,dockage high if you can get it, young girls looking for sugar daddies triple high,

8- florida is a very polluted state, beaches closed often , lakeO blue /green aglae. gators , land and water sharks, the noise pollution is the worst with constant sound of leaf blowers! every one has a rat dog, and you have to clean up after them, and none native species, boa's, Lion fish, and did I mention young blondes who will suck you dry, pun intended.

so with all that said I do it again in a heart beat, working only supports the MAN/boss and Bankers

hope this was helpful

Bob is a woman from Australia, so totally not helpful.

However, very entertaining!

3 years to go then will be aged 65  but,

Sailing 52 weeks a year, every Sunday, about a dozen  Saturdays as well+ regatta week in the summer.

Assisting the clubs Sailing school every Thurday afternoon  / evening May to October https://horning-sailing.club/

Model railway club all day Tuesday and Friday evening. http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/

Volunteer at the Radar Museum https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/  Wednesdays April to October.. I could do more but that conflicts with above.

There's an acre and a half of garden to look after..

I don't think I'll have a problem filling up my time..

38 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I refuse to believe retirement should be driven by money. It should be driven by health. Do you really want to retire at an age where you can't travel, sail or whatever other hobby you do? Do you want to retire at an age you can't cuddle your grandkids?

There's volunteer work, clubs etc to keep you amused.

Maybe consider retirement less as "not working" and more of "a career change"?

Yeah, pretty much my thinking. retire at 60, give those unemployed kids a chance. do what you can before aging limits your options.

(apparently the grey nomads are causing medical mayhem  in the outback trying to do what they should have done ten years ago.)

28 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

hope this was helpful

Some of that's helpful.

this bit raise eyebrows

5- keep busy with a hobby, ie sailing, I caught sea scouts to sail , they interned paid for dockage. :D

number 6 is a no brainer.

7 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Get a dog.

got one.

Just not a very useful one for retirement purposes.:wacko:

I'm thinking of semi  retiring next year.

I can get my Superannuation pension and still work 2 mornings per week at the Library .Income will be pretty much the same as it is now...minus two kids ...I'll be richer than my wildest dreams :D

I am in the same boat as yourself.  Calling it a career next year.

You are smart to figure it out beforehand.  I started my investigations 10 years beforehand.   So many of my peers have not put a bit of time to think of what they want to do when they retire after busting their ass for 40+ years.  This is your chance to escape, but you gotta plan.  In my case I downsized and moved south to be easier on the body (shoveling snow is highly over rated) and extend my sailing season prior to retiring.

Lots of books to read on retiring, but you still have to do your homework.

You gloss over it, but you really need to determine if you can afford to retire.   Spend $1500 for a couple sessions with a highly rated CFP (certified financial planner) who will give you a multipage booklet to fill out that they will analyze your needs and assets and let you know at what age to apply for ss, use your savings etc.  Paying for advice means they do not push any product like a stockbroker or the clown at the credit union pushing annuities.  And check who is the best you can find.  I cannot think of anything worse than having to go back to work at a menial job (eg Walmart Greeter or delivering pizzas) because I had not thought out what life really costs while working.  I sleep well at night knowing I am covered for 90% of any crisis happening.   If you are retiring early, healthcare is not a trivial expense and ERs are insane ($500 to walk in the door and fill in the paperwork, another $500 to record your vital signs so a doctor can look at you...).  

Many larger companies have associations with stockbrokers like fidelity that offer a wide range of retirement webinars.  See if you can get to any of these freebie 1 hour discussion if only to pick up tips you may not have thought about before.  Many have nothing to do with finances.

Figure out what makes YOU happy and not what others think.   I am rebuilding my 35 year old boat now instead of moving up 10 feet like most the guys at my last yacht club.  They buy themselves this 10-15 foot bigger boat at 65 to show off and only afterwards figure out it is a lot more work to maintain, and their friends are either working, with their grand kids, or have other things to do.  Then they let the boat deteriorate due to non use.  Do not be that guy!   My classic and I have 18 years together already and the love keeps growing with every sail.   Now is the time to make yourself happy even if you are not ready to stop working.

I already have started trying all kinds of volunteer opportunities to figure out what I want to do when I cut the cord next year. We get blinded with the binders of life as work and family have a way of limiting our time to be able to explore. 

Sign up for AARP.    I didn't, but my wife did.  the free monthly magazine tackles the very issues you are asking about.  Lot of good information there.

The best part is you KNOW that retirement day is coming.  In the military, it is called getting short "I am so short I have to look up to see down".  I find NOTHING at works gets to me anymore cause I am getting short and I have a plan to escape this joint and act like a kid with bigger piggy bank...

Good luck!

Retired 6 years ago at age 60. Financially it is not a problem so thats not a factor for me. The transition from a very busy work life to a not so busy retired life was a little jarring but not  really an insurmountable adjustment. It was just different. 60 mph to 5 mph overnight.......from around 50-75 emails a day to none........those sort of things. That only lasted a week or two because...........there is a life out there besides work a big beautiful one. I just had to understand the freedom it brought. Read whatever I want not just professional publications. Time to volunteer on issues I find rewarding (but I am careful to not be tied to a schedule.....I volunteer when I can/want. I am now a helper.....not driving the boat anymore.) Recreation is wonderful. Hike, surf, sail, swim, pickleball, and I took up golf. Time with family is when I want and its more relaxed for me. I stay connected to some of the people from work but not the work “stuff”. We have a group breakfast every month that I sometimes attend. We tell lies and embellish stories. 

I would never go back to work.

• Like 2

I retired 10 years ago at age 65.  Never looked back.  Kept hearing stories about driven executives who died within a year of retirement.  That was not going to be me absent some unknown, undiagnosed medical malady.  Worked out a deal where over the course of the three years before I retired I started cutting back on my responsibilities.  My goal was to make the last day of work and the first day of retirement as seamless as possible.  For the most part I succeeded.

I’m as busy as I choose to be but more and more I find it takes less and less to keep me satisfied.

I’m working on life simplification. Don’t want to leave a pile of shit for my son to have to deal with.  No big house.  We’ve been in the same 1600sq. ft. ranch for 30 years.  Sports cars gone, boat sold although there is a semi-decent chance I might become a co-owner of a J70 with my son.

All in all, things are good.  A few medical issues but nothing life threatening or physically debilitating.  Lost my older son a few years ago and that was really a blow.  I was a single parent for several years after my first wife passed in her late 20s.  So the kid and I had this all male existence for some time before I remarried.  Losing him almost sent me over the edge but I got through it (I think).

These days it is golf, gardening, some sailing,  and enjoying my 5 year old and 2 year old granddaughters who think their grandfather is about the neatest thing around.  Got to enjoy that while it lasts.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

and enjoying my 5 year old and 2 year old granddaughters who think their grandfather is about the neatest thing around.  Got to enjoy that while it lasts.

This is an excerpt from a hilarious obit I tripped across on-line and posted a few months ago.  The above brought it to mind. 

He will be missed by his two granddaughters that he adored and taught to cuss

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

This is an excerpt from a hilarious obit I tripped across on-line and posted a few months ago.  The above brought it to mind. 

He will be missed by his two granddaughters that he adored and taught to cuss

I’m not allowed to do that—-the cussing part.

I 'retired' a couple of years ago.  I took my Social Security at age 62 (30% less than if I had waited until 65), and between that and my VA disability payment I get about $3,000 a month tax free.  In Poland that's damn good money.  Given that my health turned to shit in the last couple of years, I think it was a good decision.  I have no problem doing nothing most days although I do have 3 or 4 students that I teach English to.  It gives me a chance to talk to someone besides my dogs, and talking to pretty Polish girls is hardly difficult work.  Since my retirement I have re-branded myself as a philosopher, so now it's my job to sit around and ponder the mysteries of life.  My wife is one of those people that will always work, she likes to stay busy.  She has no problem leaving me at home to do the cooking and take care of the dogs.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Dorado said:

It's perfectly okay to sit around in your jammies and watch old movies all day. Just don't do it every day.

Absolutely. A few cups of coffee and the NYT crossword puzzle also works

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I work on boats. I will never retire, but I will get less paying jobs as I age out and eventually and end up fixing my own boats for once!

How can a person retire from a life of messing about in boats?

That IS retirement IMO.

I worked and socked away money until I had enough to step off and be able to maintain the same lifestyle without a paycheck.

That came at 57 and as it has turned out it could have been earlier - we never had it so good.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Grabbler said:

That’s my program.

The Lady has her boat and I got mine.  We get by in parallel realities of one sort/‘nuther.

I'm an investment guy financial planner, etc., so we talk to our clients a lot about this

Personally, my wife is in the travel business so we are taking all the great trips NOW before she quits. FInancially, that is a set back, but I've told her that once she retires all of our travel will be in North America

I love what I do and my clients, so I plan to work until 70 (10 more years). Will probably arrange to work remotely from the lake house 1 day a week at some point. Investment work keeps the mind sharp, and I need to do it for myself anyway, so why not get paid to help others.

+1 on taking Social Security early. The financial press is full of "Wait til 70" advice, and I think it is misguided. You don't get the months you missed on the back end. Applying a 5% time value of money on the cash flows, I'd have to live to age 93 to break even. I might, but I don't want to have to wait til 93 to break even on anything!

Since I will still be working, I have to wait until age 66+10 months before I can draw, so I'm forced to not take it too early. 

Some people adjust to retirement well. Those people have goals and stay active. If the goal is simply to leave a job you hate, find a job you love...even if it pays less

• Like 1

In my last performance review I had noted to my CEO and VP that I will be hanging it up in three years...  as a reward they give me a new division to get up and running (we just purchased a start up) prior to my retiring.  I am taking this on with vigor as there is a pretty good sized carrot on the end of the stick.   I still enjoy what I am doing and the people I work with are great...   but talk to me next year or later and that may change as I am also taking on some outside interest with my sunset career.  

I think I am 1 - 2 y from retirement.  

I am in the early stages of planning some major activities to fill in that window when I am retired and still have excellent health.  

Long-distance walking, cycling and driving tours are in my near future.   

We can't take the state pension early here,  and it's slowly moving to a later age.  Female pensions age 60 were moved up to age 65 the men's retirement age , by 2028 both will move up to age 67. Many think it will move up to age 70 later. 

Both my wife and myself have had our state pension age move to 66. However she has been on insurance claim unfit to work for about 25years so far ( yes she's the one that made a profit from loss of wages insurance) .

I'm already on 12 years worth of military pension,  and in a few weeks I'll be 3 years off 65 at which my biggest civilian pension pays out.  So I will retire one year earlier than state retirement age.  I could retire now but that would reduce the civilian pension severely.  However it wouldn't take much for me to go early,  my boss is due to retire soon,  if we got a pratt as a replacement boss I'd go.. 

This reminds me next month we have to claim my wife's military pension to receive it 3 months later.. 

Now there is no mortgage, once we are retired, we will probably be better off than most of our working lives.. 

• Like 1

You mean they can move the date for existing staff, not just new qualifiers?

Here that sort of thing is grandfathered. You get what you signed up for.

Otherwise they can just keep kicking the can down the road.

I enjoyed my work and retired twice, once because I was 66+ and the second time after missing the work and workplace interaction along with the ego boost of being repeatedly asked about returning. I left after 18 months the second time around, I still miss the work and interaction, it was just time the final time. I am very relaxed and walk in a riverside nature preserve every day... followed by a little of this and that. My wife 5 years younger than me loves her job and plans on working 2 more years, that is the hardest part of my retirement, the working for both of us was not a money thing 

56 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

On a serious note, if you've retired or thinking of it, Get out of the stock market ( DJ, S&P500.....) before the bankers steal all your retirement (ira, 401K) .

Being in the market is not all or nothing proposition. You should probably scale back equity exposure a year or more before needing cash flow from investments. Long term, unless you think our economy has peaked forever, you need equity exposure. How much has a lot to do with personal financial matters, but if the recovery from '08 taught us anything, it's that staying invested pays off. (If you have the time to wait out a correction...)

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

How does one make that conversion from working 5 days a week to only a couple or not at all?

Retire at 60 and be a bit poorer but healthier or work as long as you can and be a bit wealthier and a bit/lot more physically  wrecked?

There's loads of stuff about financial planning but not a lot about keeping mentally and physically well and yet so many people work and save all their lives only to kick the bucket a few years after. Men are particularly susceptible to depression when paid work is gone.

Do you plan on how to fill all those empty hours before you retire, or just hope everything just transitions?

Move onto a boat. There's always something to do.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I'm an investment guy financial planner, etc., so we talk to our clients a lot about this

Personally, my wife is in the travel business so we are taking all the great trips NOW before she quits. FInancially, that is a set back, but I've told her that once she retires all of our travel will be in North America

I love what I do and my clients, so I plan to work until 70 (10 more years). Will probably arrange to work remotely from the lake house 1 day a week at some point. Investment work keeps the mind sharp, and I need to do it for myself anyway, so why not get paid to help others.

+1 on taking Social Security early. The financial press is full of "Wait til 70" advice, and I think it is misguided. You don't get the months you missed on the back end. Applying a 5% time value of money on the cash flows, I'd have to live to age 93 to break even. I might, but I don't want to have to wait til 93 to break even on anything!

Since I will still be working, I have to wait until age 66+10 months before I can draw, so I'm forced to not take it too early. 

Some people adjust to retirement well. Those people have goals and stay active. If the goal is simply to leave a job you hate, find a job you love...even if it pays less

I'm about 5 years ahead of you at 65 and agree with pretty much what you are saying.  Planning on about 3-3.5 more years to match up with SWMBO's early retirement at 62.  Already have a solid pension, a second (NQ)  pension that I've deferred as long as I could and will have to start taking in in 2001 plus 401's and some non retirement investments.  Current paycheck goes 100% into savings and rapidly paying off the mortgage on our house.  Debating on starting SS next year or postponing for a couple of years but haven;t made a final decision on that yet.   Spreadsheet says we will see a net increase in when we pay off the mortgage and move to retirement without tapping the 401's.  If we walked away today, we would just go back to the "normal" mortgage payment and still be fine, just have a slightly smaller estate to leave behind.  

I enjoy growing a company but work pretty hard.  A major, not age related, health issue gave me a good view or mortality a couple of years ago but that's in the past with a slowly reducing chance of recurrence a fact of life.  Told the company owner about 2 years ago that I was on a 5 year plan.  Hired my eventual replacement a couple of months ago but growth is so fast right now that I'm adding staff as quickly as I can hire in this tight labor economy.  I'll look to step back over the next 2 years and fade away the third.  As said earlier, will probably stick around as a part timer after that as my time allows.  

Biggest problem I have is running a rapidly growing business means its hard to pull the plug. RHADC is a great place to have a drink and look out on the harbour. Having to convene a conference call from there to solve a program technical or financial issue can harsh your melllow. Having to say no to short notice calls asking me if I want to help deliver a boat from Buzzard's Bay to Maine "next week" is starting to make me think about jumping sooner.   

6 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Do any of you guys that have already retired have any comment on going from seeing your spouse a couple of hours a day to full time togetherness?

That can be quite and adjustment for both, I am sure we will have to learn each other all over again. The typical work schedule with a hour in the morning and a few in the evening to full time together, for my case anyway with 2 head strong independent types after 45 years of dealing with others more than each other... well at least I recognize it coming 

35 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

....  paying off the mortgage on our house. 

This is huge.... the wife gets it now why I was always penny pinching over the years...  hells bells, I am still wearing the same suit I bought 15 years ago....  what is more impressive is that I still fit into it.  We  haven't had a mortgage payment for the past three years... and even though it is paid off.. I still hate a nickel because it is not a quarter..

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

Do any of you guys that have already retired have any comment on going from seeing your spouse a couple of hours a day to full time togetherness?

Ask me in six months. I have a bad feeling about this :unsure:

She can't loaf worth a damn. My loafing is World Class.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

I retired before my wife did. She saw how much fun I was having being an unemployed bum that she retired a year or two after me. We don’t do full time togetherness because her social life is much more active than mine is.  And she is a specialist in “mission creep.” Yesterday she was going to “run a couple of errands.” She was gone for close to 4 hours.

• Like 1

Setting up a new social network before you retire is good too. When you work in one place all day and then retire, you lose so much of your social interaction too.

I joined a local choir.

All age groups, so you don't get stuck with people from just one generation.

Both men and women.

lots of social outings to to different gigs from vineyards to palliative care units to singing pub crawls.

and singing in a group is really really good for your mental and physical health. gets oxygen to all your body, gets endorphins pumping.

and..anyone can sing even if you can only sing 5 notes .

Sailing clubs are pretty similar except they don't tend to be a weekly thing and I found the generations pretty much keep to themselves.

Any other suggestions?

(bowling Clubs started attracting younger people...about 30 years ago..now they're all my age :D)

3 hours ago, On The Hard said:

Being in the market is not all or nothing proposition. You should probably scale back equity exposure a year or more before needing cash flow from investments. Long term, unless you think our economy has peaked forever, you need equity exposure. How much has a lot to do with personal financial matters, but if the recovery from '08 taught us anything, it's that staying invested pays off. (If you have the time to wait out a correction...)

FYI , I got completely out of the market in 07, didn't lose a dime, got back in in 09 and double my money, I also got out at the highs of 1/2018, which the market has been pretty steady since then, I just don't like some of the under lining issues the economy is showing now. I really don't trust the bankers and this REPRO thing . I feel now the market is being rigged to make the economy look good so what his name gets reelected.This act with him and Powell is such a con job, like playing good cop/ bad cop, I guess at my age and being retired for 12+ years I don't trust too many, It's all a ponzi scheme. Just my opinion ,take or leave it.

mean while retirement! I was at the Square Grouper , jupiter inlet enjoying retirement

image.jpeg.4134058f5e90c00b9739c9ee1ecfc79c.jpeg

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

FYI , I got completely out of the market in 07, didn't lose a dime, got back in in 09 and double my money, I also got out at the highs of 1/2018, which the market has been pretty steady since then, I just don't like some of the under lining issues the economy is showing now. I really don't trust the bankers and this REPRO thing . I feel now the market is being rigged to make the economy look good so what his name gets reelected.This act with him and Powell is such a con job, like playing good cop/ bad cop, I guess at my age and being retired for 12+ years I don't trust too many, It's all a ponzi scheme. Just my opinion ,take or leave it.

mean while retirement! I was at the Square Grouper , jupiter inlet enjoying retirement

So you dont trust banks and you dont like the market, where do you invest?

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

State pension. There is no pay in by the recipient like superannuation.

A number of countries are raising the eligibility age.

Born before 1960, retirement age is 65. Born between 1960 and 1970 retirement age moves to 67.  Was changed in Australia maybe 10 years ago.

5 hours ago, Latadjust said:

That's what messing about in boats is for. ;)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Latadjust said:

Yep. As long as you have the sense to give each other some space when needed, it's great.

Having interests, a social circle outside of work, and hobbies... and keeping goals in life... retirement is great. When I was little I used to wonder how old I would have to get before I could do what I wanted.  This is it

- DSK

2 hours ago, Latadjust said:

So you dont trust banks and you dont like the market, where do you invest?

I invest in the most important thing I have ME!

Today is the yougest you'll ever be :

Manage Your Time. ...Travel. ...Choose Your Friends Wisely. ...Take A Course & Learn A New Skill.( My analysis wanted me to take up knitting , I fired her) Read Books. ...Take Care of Your Body. ...Expand Your Network. not face book or twitter... laugh at yourself and make other's smile

To Quote Aivicii: "when I die I want to be remembered for the life I lived , not the money I made"

Thankyou for the enlighting question , it did make me think about the important of Life and retirement.

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

As someone else mentioned that's the state Pension and the UK government can change that anytime they want. Just about everyone in the UK gets a state pension, to get the full amount you have to have worked 35 years in the UK paying your amount. However if you work more than the 35 years you can't stop paying!!! National insurance is 12% of your income, However that also pays for the National heath service . If you earn less than about £166 a week you don't pay, but you are counted as paying.

A private pension, yes you get what you've signed up for,  BUT, they can close that pension and force you to use a new lower scheme for the rest of your working years . Even the military has done this twice since I left, I was lucky and got the best scheme they ever did..

4 hours ago, garuda3 said:

I invest in the most important thing I have ME!

Today is the yougest you'll ever be :

Manage Your Time. ...Travel. ...Choose Your Friends Wisely. ...Take A Course & Learn A New Skill.( My analysis wanted me to take up knitting , I fired her) Read Books. ...Take Care of Your Body. ...Expand Your Network. not face book or twitter... laugh at yourself and make other's smile

To Quote Aivicii: "when I die I want to be remembered for the life I lived , not the money I made"

Thankyou for the enlighting question , it did make me think about the important of Life and retirement.

They told us to take care of our bodies by keeping fit and doing sports, I have..

A permanently broken  / damaged big right toe... sailing

Damaged left elbow... sailing

Worn out knees ... Volley ball

Damaged lower back... Baseball

"Retire at 60 and be a bit poorer but healthier or work as long as you can and be a bit wealthier and a bit/lot more physically  wrecked?"

Still trying to figure out how being a librarian for a couple extra years is gonna "physically wreck" you...:huh:

2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

"Retire at 60 and be a bit poorer but healthier or work as long as you can and be a bit wealthier and a bit/lot more physically  wrecked?"

Still trying to figure out how being a librarian for a couple extra years is gonna "physically wreck" you...:huh:

hHave you carried a big pile of books?

2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

She does a good job breaking up the fights around the double booked computers. Actually, I'm surprised she hasn't been shanked yet.....

3 hours ago, The Q said:

They told us to take care of our bodies by keeping fit and doing sports, I have..

4 knee surgeries (3 arthroscopic, i partial replacement) with 2 replacements on the horizon - running.  Permanent foot and nerve damage - running.  Torn Achilles -  softball.  Slight cataracts - UV damage from sailing/sports cars.  Tired liver - sailing.

"If I had known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."  - Mickey Mantle

• Like 1
23 hours ago, garuda3 said:

hope this was helpful

Outstanding. 

Florida is also running out of water (but letting Nestle pull it straight from our springs), so keep that in mind. Nice place to visit, but make sure you buy a return trip ticket. Not good for retirement!

(Floridians retire to NC btw.)

5 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Sigh. Again. I'm not a Librarian. Collections maintenance. 

8 years restoring furniture followed by 11 years moving and emptying crates and boxes of books,loading vans with 50kg trollys. building steel shelving, opening hundreds of DVDs a day, relocating hundred of books a few at a time, getting from kneeling to standing an hour or two at a time..subtract a dash on estrogen ..you're joints and vertebrae  wear , Knees, thumbs, wrists and neck and lower back. I'm already on permanent lifting restrictions. nerve compression C3-4 and L4 .Doing a lot more customer service and seated work now.

No way I'd be able to do this exact job for another 7 years. 

Think warehouse with Books.

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

4 knee surgeries (3 arthroscopic, i partial replacement) with 2 replacements on the horizon - running.  Permanent foot and nerve damage - running.  Torn Achilles -  softball.  Slight cataracts - UV damage from sailing/sports cars.  Tired liver - sailing.

"If I had known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."  - Mickey Mantle

I can identify! Both hips replaced, 3 artho knee repairs, torn bicep tendon, a simmering rotator cuff, a new and persistent plantar fasciitis getting injections for, carpal tunnel release both wrists. A life well lived leads to a lot of repairs once the warranty expires! 

16 hours ago, garuda3 said:

Glad that worked for you. (Seriously!)  I try not to let my political perceptions color my investment decisions. I learned that lesson the hard way, many years ago. Except tax  policy. That matters a lot. I think the economy will continue to grow, although at an uneven pace (like always) and I want investments that will be geared to that. 

an 18-20X P/E multiple is not extreme when you compare it to a <2% 10 year treasury.  If "what's his name" loses and whatever assclown gets elected rolls back the tax cuts, that will immediately impact the market valuations. I will be controlling my exposure heading into the election, but other than that, my political views don't invade my investment space

Meanwhile, that's one hell of a view!!  Congrats

On 9/24/2019 at 9:09 PM, Shortforbob said:

I helped deliver a friend’s boat back to Adelaide after a Sydney Hobart a couple of years ago, and with us was his gerontologist cousin. Passing the time on watch as you do, he mentioned that, statistically, pre 60 retirees live longer than post 60 retirees.

So if work is boring or stressful, If you are just watching the clock, passing the hours, it is time to go, especially if you  have alternative projects in mind or desires to learn/try out alternative skills or do charitable work or community service.

it helps to have some projects at least during the transition phase and until you have worked out what suits you best. It also helps if you have or can find a group of like minded retiree friends in your community.

The great thing about retirement is the flexibility to do what you feel like doing most or what best suits the day. Or relax, enjoy the day and do nothing if you are not up to anything.

i retired 10 years ago at 59, moved to Tasmania, renovated our house and small acreage, designed and built a yacht at home, was a “Fire”and the local branch secretary for a while. As a retired architect, I have also been involved with community projects such as coastal paths, a footbridge and the new local jetty, plus FOC concept ideas and designs for all sorts of things for friends and a couple of people who got wiped after the big fire down here in 2013. There is always an idea on the go.

Maintaining the acreage and house, looking after the bees and animals and sorting out the boat, alone, keeps me physically active and could fill up all the days..... Not to mention the fishing  and sailing.

My wife and I, whilst we don’t have exactly the same interests, never tire of each other’s company. It helps that we have plenty of space and a big shed as well.

PM me if there is  anything particular you would like to know.

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

I can identify! Both hips replaced, 3 artho knee repairs, torn bicep tendon, a simmering rotator cuff, a new and persistent plantar fasciitis getting injections for, carpal tunnel release both wrists. A life well lived leads to a lot of repairs once the warranty expires! 

Whenever old folks start to talk, inevitably it turns in to an organ recital!   That's why I would rather hang around young people.  :lol:

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

Glad that worked for you. (Seriously!)  I try not to let my political perceptions color my investment decisions. I learned that lesson the hard way, many years ago. Except tax  policy. That matters a lot. I think the economy will continue to grow, although at an uneven pace (like always) and I want investments that will be geared to that. 

an 18-20X P/E multiple is not extreme when you compare it to a <2% 10 year treasury.  If "what's his name" loses and whatever assclown gets elected rolls back the tax cuts, that will immediately impact the market valuations. I will be controlling my exposure heading into the election, but other than that, my political views don't invade my investment space

Meanwhile, that's one hell of a view!!  Congrats

Definitely don't let Politic's get in the way of our investing.

When I moved to florida I had an IRA only a small part of my retirement,  I kinda got hooked up with a broker , as my account was passed on, All he want was talk about was politic's with my holdings ,  I call his boss and and fired them and put all monies in Vanguard, Had I stayed with him I would losed a ton money in the 07 recession.

Interesting I've  been thru enough clowns on both sides of the fence, 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, The Q said:

Those stick and ball games will get you in the end. :D

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Amazing we have survived as long as we have and are still functioning.  I too was one of those athlete types. 30 years of sailing, mostly racing.  Baseball from little league through D1 college. Racquetball four days a week for years.  Ran 40 miles a week for years.  After I could no longer run I biked 80-100 miles a week.  

The result:

3 knee operations (2 scope, 1 the old fashioned way)

Knee replacement, other one needs to be done. 

Cortisone shots in the factory original knee every 3 months.

fractured collarbone & separated shoulder

torn bicep muscle

And the non athletic stuff

malignant melanoma (no doubt sailing related)

prostate cancer

double coronary bypass

1 cardiac stent

foraminal stenosis

All of the above are fixed, repaired, gone or tolerated.  

Just finished 2 hours of grass cutting.  Either this yard is getting bigger or I am slowing down.  

But still here and functioning.  No handicapped placard on my car

• Like 1
10 hours ago, The Q said:

Among my friends of the same age cohort as me (I’m 75) and my golfing crowd (senior league) typically  the ones with their original  body parts and the fewest knee surgeries, etc. are the guys who were not athletes and did not play any organized sports. If I knew then. . . .

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Among my friends of the same age cohort as me (I’m 75) and my golfing crowd (senior league) typically  the ones with their original  body parts and the fewest knee surgeries, etc. are the guys who were not athletes and did not play any organized sports. If I knew then. . . .

This.........I see folks out pounding the pavement who clearly should not be and think STOP NOW. But we’re all invincible at that age. A very active physical job contributed to mine so I’m not sure I could have completely avoided all of it. In fact several happened at work. Ah well.....the sad part is I’d likely do it again!

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

This.........I see folks out pounding the pavement who clearly should not be and think STOP NOW. But we’re all invincible at that age. A very active physical job contributed to mine so I’m not sure I could have completely avoided all of it. In fact several happened at work. Ah well.....the sad part is I’d likely do it again!

I did not have a physical job.  Mental stress to be sure but not physical. Did the sports stuff because I liked it and it was what guys were expected to do and be back in “the good old days.”  I’d do the career again, not sure about all the physical stuff.  As I told someone once upon a time in reference to my baseball “career;” I was good enough to play and get hurt but not good enough to go pro.  

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Amazing we have survived as long as we have and are still functioning.  I too was one of those athlete types. 30 years of sailing, mostly racing.  Baseball from little league through D1 college. Racquetball four days a week for years.  Ran 40 miles a week for years.  After I could no longer run I biked 80-100 miles a week.  

The result:

torn bicep muscle

prostate cancer

double coronary bypass

1 cardiac stent

foraminal stenosis

Just finished 2 hours of grass cutting.  Either this yard is getting bigger or I am slowing down.  

The Six Million Dollar Man!

On 9/24/2019 at 4:09 AM, Shortforbob said:

Takes a lot of pre work and dedication 

Work 40/52 till yer last day and life expectancy abour 4 months

Poverty, Depression, Lack of interaction with others = FAIL

You Owe it to yourself to FuckOff Early and increasing Often Kong before the day comes

This Not something I just read about

I am a 12th degree Black Belt in Fucking Off,

having Not Worked for The Man for 27+ years And LOVING IT !!

I Still work But on my terms when I want and Not when I don't 

You Should Always Work

But 1st thing, Work for the Man get a Pension and Plan for your Future

Kant do tjat the last year before ya quit

Pretty sure this is more in line with the job beating you up physically 

Mentally I always enjoyed the job until we got big enough to be bought and sold several times ultimately in the billion range and email and meetings started taking hours a day 

96293520-1E93-4B19-B0FB-A6594B4EE5C9.jpeg

C4714C48-D8E0-43BA-BFA9-53163CA87CA3.jpeg
Its rumored some people even Sail for fun 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Takes a lot of pre work and dedication 

Work 40/52 till yer last day and life expectancy abour 4 months

Poverty, Depression, Lack of interaction with others = FAIL

You Owe it to yourself to FuckOff Early and increasing Often Kong before the day comes

This Not something I just read about

I am a 12th degree Black Belt in Fucking Off,

having Not Worked for The Man for 27+ years And LOVING IT !!

I Still work But on my terms when I want and Not when I don't 

You Should Always Work

But 1st thing, Work for the Man get a Pension and Plan for your Future

Kant do tjat the last year before ya quit

What's a pension? 

Rhetorical question my people 

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

The result:

torn bicep muscle

prostate cancer

double coronary bypass

1 cardiac stent

foraminal stenosis

Holey effing moley 

I have 30 years of dirt bikes.. 15 of that hard core Moto Cross, have run through a gazillion pair of running shoes, played club Ruby for a while being a two plus hour a day gym rat for a number of years,  not to mention some other contact sports including catamaran sailing  and I can't attest to having half the issue you have here.... maybe the other shoe is getting ready to drop... 

Stay healthy my friend... 

26 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Holey effing moley 

I have 30 years of dirt bikes.. 15 of that hard core Moto Cross, have run through a gazillion pair of running shoes, played club Ruby for a while being a two plus hour a day gym rat for a number of years,  not to mention some other contact sports including catamaran sailing  and I can't attest to having half the issue you have here.... maybe the other shoe is getting ready to drop... 

Stay healthy my friend... 

I’m healthy but apparently I break easily.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

I’m healthy but apparently I break easily.

That is what I am afraid off.... I didn't break easy and have taken some pretty good hits over the years...  a few that had me not knowing where I was and a few were many were amazed I got right back up... but had the bruises and the contusions to show it..

Like I said... the other shoe may be dropping for me soon... 

6 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Skiing and motorcycles were the only things I did that could leave permanent problems.

Only got a crushed foot from the bikes - It allows me to forecast big changes in the weather but that's the only hangover.

I've always been lucky when it really matters - for example, 20 feet off a ladder in the boatyard onto concrete and only limped with a cane for a couple of months.

3 hours ago, nacradriver said:

That is what I am afraid off.... I didn't break easy and have taken some pretty good hits over the years...  a few that had me not knowing where I was and a few were many were amazed I got right back up... but had the bruises and the contusions to show it..

Like I said... the other shoe may be dropping for me soon... 

I hate to break it to you but..........take it from someone who is paying the piper now,........your time is likely coming. 

‘Sorry to break the news.......

• Like 1

Sheeit!...I'm in...been playing with wood since I was 13 years old, which makes it a skoche under 50 years...limit myself to only working on 8/12's or less these days, the 10/12 I framed about 3yrs back taught me a lesson...I don't frame new construction any more, but refuse to hire a framing crew for small remodel shit or crap like pergolas...mainly trim work now, which still has me scurrying around on my knees running base and shoe mould...this after rugby from Under 7's through age 21 and foredeck for about 25 yrs...dirt bikes check...skateboard/surfing check...skiing check...5 or 6 broken wrists, one poorly set broken clavicle which is a bitch to sleep on occasionally, numerous broken ribs...at this point all I'm doing is popping a couple turmerics every morning with my V8 and I flush the system with Miller High Life every evening...some Tiger Balm on the inevitable aches and pains...this system seems to be working for me...Grabs Jr. calls me "The Cockroach"...gotta admit it did take me 3 hrs to unload about 1500 board feet of "pond dried" treated deck lumber the other day, but it was 95° and took like 60 trips up and down a decent slope...but like my Hawaiian buddy said when I told him about it..."Good kine pain, little hurt, heavy breath, but you know you alive"...

On 9/24/2019 at 4:09 AM, Shortforbob said:

I don't know any retired people that aren't either busier than they were before retirement or dead.  

It would take a complete lack of imagination to have a problem filling those hours.  Remember all those times you were asked to volunteer but excused yourself due to lack of time?  That excuse is gone, baby, gone.

I'm within 6 months of retirement and I can't wait.  Big bucket list of plans, including travel, hiking and biking trips, software development, further education, boat projects, more boat projects, RC sailing, cruising, big boat racing, house-building/renovating, volunteer work.  I better get started....  Money is going to be a bit of a problem but nothing I can't work around somehow.

And if you get really stuck for ideas you can always go beat your brains out in PA or something.

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

I hate to break it to you but..........take it from someone who is paying the piper now,........your time is likely coming. 

‘Sorry to break the news.......

I'd agree , most of my injuries went away at the time, but by the time I reached 60, the pain from them was coming back to haunt me... Sleep often requires pain killers, especially if I've been doing physical work the day before, and that doesn't have to be strenuous..

14 minutes ago, The Q said:

I'd agree , most of my injuries went away at the time, but by the time I reached 60, the pain from them was coming back to haunt me... Sleep often requires pain killers, especially if I've been doing physical work the day before, and that doesn't have to be strenuous..

Actually something really important. Buy the best bed you can. Take your pillow, spend hours in the store. Sleep is your best friend.

Not really retirement advice.....

• Like 1

Memory foam matress we have, quite expensive..SWMBOs choice for her bad back..

I should add that some of the previous injuries had gone away, 30 years before the pain came back!!