Hydrofoil Cargo Ships ??

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, but I searched for and found none.  From G-Captain, the guy in the video makes some very bold unbelievable claims!!

https://gcaptain.com/video-hydrofoil-containerships-are-now-a-thing-maybe/

I saw a bit of the video, and then the screen swapped out to some "walmart gift card" scam.    Conceptually? it's interesting.  My knowledge of naval architecture isn't sufficient to understand whether it could scale from pontoon boat dimensions to cargo ship dimensions, but, I'm skeptical.  I'm also very skeptical of the claim of making an trans-pacific crossing in ~~ 5 days.   Quick back of the napkin calculations are that it's ~6500 miles from LA to Shanghai, the vessel would need to make 1295.8 miles/day to make the crossing in 5 days.   That would require an average speed of 54MPH, discounting pilot time in/out of the harbor.   

6 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I saw a bit of the video, and then the screen swapped out to some "walmart gift card" scam.    Conceptually? it's interesting.  My knowledge of naval architecture isn't sufficient to understand whether it could scale from pontoon boat dimensions to cargo ship dimensions, but, I'm skeptical.  I'm also very skeptical of the claim of making an trans-pacific crossing in ~~ 5 days.   Quick back of the napkin calculations are that it's ~6500 miles from LA to Shanghai, the vessel would need to make 1295.8 miles/day to make the crossing in 5 days.   That would require an average speed of 54MPH, discounting pilot time in/out of the harbor.   

The 50% plane speed of that boat is probably used to determine that speed. It's realistic in a hydrodynamic sense, but likely not realistic in an economic sense. The economics of cargo shipping determine the length of the regular displacement hull, cargo shipping is more about cheap and reliable than fast. Nearly every aspect of a contemporary cargo ship from the hatchless design to the shape of the hull is to minimize loading costs, fuel use and wasted volume.

Can a foiling design find its own niche for cargo that is time sensitive rather than price sensitive? A sweet spot between displacement hull ships and cargo planes? Maybe, but what cargo is that?

That niche would have to be large enough to support some 15 years of R&D and optimization. So what would that be? Jackfruit, durian and mangoes? What else has that mix of time sensitivity and relative lack of economy?

And no matter what they tell you, any hull that rides over the water rather than at or below hull speed in the linear wave system, is going to suck up fuel.

Billy's suspicion is well founded, it's a solution in search of a problem.

Yeah, we have to embrace the future, but fast cargo shipping relies on globalization, and how much steam is left in globalization when China's and India's economies are growing so fast? Eventually, when the market demands it, it becomes cheaper to make, grow and mine stuff nearby.

I can see that as a viable local cargo operation, but even Miami to Georgetown, Guyana would be brutal....

East coast USA to Bahamas, sure..... Puerto Rico..... Sure, But after that, even island hoping, the wind and currents would make a heavy cat very unhappy.

It wasn't clear to me exactly what they were comparing. Their proposed ~50 knot ship is not going to cross the Pacific in the same time as a ~500 knot airplane. I think it's fair to assume they realize that. Were they saying it takes air freight 3-7 days?

I wonder:

Would the fuel / cargo  be better for the ship than an airplane?

Would there be any payload available on the ship after the fuel load?

From my POV of buying expensive machines manufacturing machines  in the USA ,FRANCE ,SPAIN and other places all the projects our long term  and long lead time and 99% of the time our going by ship as it’s such a tiny amount of time 

F228DE94-0CBA-4B19-A76E-AC37A2036EB2.jpeg

13 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, but I searched for and found none.  From G-Captain, the guy in the video makes some very bold unbelievable claims!!

https://gcaptain.com/video-hydrofoil-containerships-are-now-a-thing-maybe/

He's not building a ship, he is applying for funding.

If you are gullible to believe these ships will work then you are stupid enough to part with your money.

12 hours ago, tommays said:

From my POV of buying expensive machines manufacturing machines  in the USA ,FRANCE ,SPAIN and other places all the projects our long term  and long lead time and 99% of the time our going by ship as it’s such a tiny amount of time 

F228DE94-0CBA-4B19-A76E-AC37A2036EB2.jpeg

I think they have it figured out. Just look, they are standing on the wall with no difficulty.

3 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

I think they have it figured out. Just look, they are standing on the wall with no difficulty.

Ha!  Well done.   With gravity defying skills like this, the simple matter of cargo transport will be a snap.

Heck, they built the Deathstar.  That thing was monumentally huge and complex.  And that was before Lego was even invented!

That was what kind of stalled the commercial development of Ekranoplanes/wing-in-ground-effect planes back about 25 years ago. A foil is essentially an aircraft due to the speeds. But those WiGs promised all kinds of delivery efficiencies (possibly less expensive per unit weight than a hydrofoil due to the much lower drag) and Russia had a ready-to-go industry to build the fuggers.

But the chance of some kind of devastating marine strike (boat, whale, buoy, debris) was non-negligible, and the shipping and aircraft industry wasn't ready to open a can of worms with a whole new risk paradigm.

The vendee globe fleet and ultimes have a hard enough time going down the Portugese coast and not getting involved with unlit fishing boats - so this type of activity will have a field day.

Surely with the trend shown by aviation towards better fuel efficiency rather than outright speed or size of craft - as demonstrated by the decline in A380 use and a still less than convincing case for supersonic types to revive the Concorde Luxury model - then marine shipping will more likely focus on reducing its fuel burn and carbon foot print. Kite assistance would seem the obvious low hanging fruit to seize.....

The other problem with ground effect is sea state. It only works if you clear the tops when you are in the environment. But, there's a chance in a million that there's a wave out there. If you need to be sure that you'll not clip some and auger in, you build a plane. Ocean going WIG = planes.