Florida - Where Reptiles Proliferate

An article in the paper today was about the tegu, an invasive species in Komodo dragon style that gets up to 4' long, beginning to proliferate.  The Burmese python is already flourishing, as are certain types of human reptiles like Rick Scott and Greg Steube.

Is it the warm, steamy climate or what?

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

An article in the paper today was about the tegu, an invasive species in Komodo dragon style that gets up to 4' long, beginning to proliferate.  The Burmese python is already flourishing, as are certain types of human reptiles like Rick Scott and Greg Steube.

The swamp gas is just devastating. All the best to ya down there.

55 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

The swamp gas is just devastating. All the best to ya down there.

The sun baking down on your head helps, too.  Put these all together and this is what happens

436393727_2019-02-12-rick-scott1.thumb.jpg.f33fca23d3177fcfc3b9ddff06931995.jpg

This would be a good thread in GA.

Plenty of regular fodder to post. This list includes some odd ducks. The American Bison? WTF? Buffalo are invasive in FL? Y'all have some big problems in that state. Literally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_invasive_species_in_Florida

Animals

Some of Florida's invasive animal species include:

Mammals

Birds

Reptiles

Fish

marine invasives

Amphibians

Invertebrates

From the Florida Wildlife Commision:  https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/

2 hours ago, Jules said:

Nope, it's the importation by stupid human beings.  Mar-A-Lago included.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Nope, it's the importation by stupid human beings.  Mar-A-Lago included.

You haven't driven through the Republican stronghold known as Charlotte County, FL. 

45 minutes ago, lasal said:

Plenty of regular fodder to post. This list includes some odd ducks. The American Bison? WTF? Buffalo are invasive in FL? Y'all have some big problems in that state. Literally.

My heart is still in Chicago so it's hard for me to feel one with Florida.  All but one of my neighbors is from someplace else.  It's like the UN here.

8 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

we need a wall! It should start at JAX and head west to keep the most invasive aminals out of florida, aminals from Jersey and NYC including the Zombie's that habit in Magot lago

You want it to start south of Jax, believe me!

1 hour ago, Jules said:

You haven't driven through the Republican stronghold known as Charlotte County, FL. 

Seriously?  We live in the same town.  I'm one of the "rich bastards" in PGI that the locals hate except for making money from us.

1 hour ago, lasal said:

Animals

Mammals

Birds

Reptiles

Fish

marine invasives

Amphibians

Invertebrates

From the Florida Wildlife Commision:  https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/

Add Marco Rubio to the invertebrates and Matt Gaetz to the reptile list.

2 hours ago, lasal said:

Animals

Mammals

Birds

Reptiles

Fish

marine invasives

Amphibians

Invertebrates

No mention of the Northern Homo Sapiens.

59 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Seriously?  We live in the same town.  I'm one of the "rich bastards" in PGI that the locals hate except for making money from us.

Looks like a trailer park with ditches.

image.png.91b1062282f6c7ed44a3669769b1124e.png

2 hours ago, Jules said:

Last time Was in florida for business, I passed a Garage sale with a goat in a dog crate for sale driving from orlando to titusville...  Enough said....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Add Marco Rubio to the invertebrates and Matt Gaetz to the reptile list.

And I think VWAP is some kind of shirtless beerbelly newt slithering in the low lying areas around Miami. Not likely to breed thankfully.

Florida is full of invasive species. It started with simple animals such as birds, fish and lizards. Over time humans have come to inhabit the God forsaken parts of the state in trailer parks and the like. Clearly in these regions we are seeing de-evolution of people into knuckle scraping morons. Of course this trend includes many politicians who once seemed to make sense and now just bleat like diseased goats. Mar A Lago is the center of this return to primal humans with diminished intellectual capacity,

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Shit!  Me too!

Y'all are gonna need an air wall for the birds, a water wall for the fish, a beach wall for the amphibians, hepa filtration for the invertebrates and a toll gate for yankees. Good luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Pretty much if your trailer is 1800 to 2600  sq ft under air plus a 2 or 3 car garage and 170 feet of waterfront on an 80 foot wide 17 foot deep ditch.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Looks like Tom Scott's stomping heeling grounds.

His house is in the picture if you know where to look. I think he's another invasive exotic from someplace else but what can you do?

Back to the (for some reason political) topic, some of the Tegu's have been captured fairly close to me (nowhere in that picture). I've had a Nile Monitor in the yard and have a few of the invasive fish in the pond.

My god.................... That looks like a nightmare maze from hell...... People actually live in places like that?

8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

My god.................... That looks like a nightmare maze from hell...... People actually live in places like that?

In the deepest, darkest sections, it's 45 minutes or so out to the harbor. Tom S has maybe a five minute ride out to the harbor.

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Looks like Tom Scott's stomping heeling grounds. 

Actually, there are in fact a lot of trailer parks with canals in south Florida. This isn't one of them though. Nothing wrong with putting a less-expensive dwelling on the water, gives people more options. Said to be one of the strengths of capitalism!

Oddly enough I know two people who live in the area shown here, it's fairly ritzy. And I used to know a fellow cruiser who lives in a trailer on a canal not too far away.

- DSK

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I think they pay a premium.

For waterfront property. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the tide keeps the water in that maze minty fresh

Depends where you are. I used to keep our F-27 on one of the main canals near the harbor. Lots of flow. Lots of barnacles. Moved it to a dead-end nearby and got a lot less growth.

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

Actually, there are in fact a lot of trailer parks with canals in south Florida. This isn't one of them though. Nothing wrong with putting a less-expensive dwelling on the water, gives people more options. Said to be one of the strengths of capitalism!

Oddly enough I know two people who live in the area shown here, it's fairly ritzy. And I used to know a fellow cruiser who lives in a trailer on a canal not too far away.

- DSK

The main waterfront trailer park is called Windmill Village. Pretty nice and they had their own little PHRF racing fleet a while back. Not sure if they still do because the participant I knew has died. It is God's Waiting Room after all...

10 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

If the natives  weren’t so stupid and greedy  they would have figured out how to better manage the invasive northerners 50-60 years ago 

The invasive species, known as nawthanuhs, make all their money up north then take advantage of cheap labor here.  Everyone has lawn service, pool service, even cleaning services.  It's crazy.

When we had our driveway replaced, a guy older than me showed up to stake out the forms.  I went out to give him a hand.  He said he wished he could retire but it's hard to retire when all you make is $15/hr.  I see this all the time here, people making a pittance with little hope for retirement.  

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

It's not that bad.  I live in the area west of the Coronado label and could be out through the park in 10 minutes or so from the time my back door closed.  The area east of Coronado is powerboat territory.  I have to go through the park due to a low bridge on Marion but there is an entrance top left there.  My house is on that transit canal and there is always a tidal flow past the house.

We get fish that eat the oyster on the seawall and the dolphins come in to eat them.

3 hours ago, Jules said:

The invasive species, known as nawthanuhs, make all their money up north then take advantage of cheap labor here.  Everyone has lawn service, pool service, even cleaning services.  It's crazy.

When we had our driveway replaced, a guy older than me showed up to stake out the forms.  I went out to give him a hand.  He said he wished he could retire but it's hard to retire when all you make is $15/hr.  I see this all the time here, people making a pittance with little hope for retirement.  

BITD of big time boatbuilding in Florida I read a comment by one of the big manufacturers that the climate was regarded as 50% of an employees compensation.

"You're lucky to be working here" in essence.

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

BITD of big time boatbuilding in Florida I read a comment by one of the big manufacturers that the climate was regarded as 50% of an employees compensation.

"You're lucky to be working here" in essence.

Sure, in the winter.  But in the summer it's day after day of 90 degree heat, often infused with high humidity.  You walk out the door and instantly it feels like you are in an oven. 

Most of the workers I see are Hispanic. probably because they can handle the heat better.  I've heard neighbors complain about not being able to get anyone to work on their house (construction related) and when they can find someone who will show up, the workmanship is shoddy.  I see it as ,"You get what you pay for."  I know up north most of these people paid a lot more to have the same work done, were able to get contractors to work on their house and they were generally satisfied with the work.  But this cheap labor mentality seems to infect their perspective.

Florida is a great place to be a business owner but it sucks for most workers.  I think it's #39 in income.

Edited by Jules
typo