4 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I’ll take the outdoor market with less ppl than a supermarket & no AC. I mean the $100bn woman sent us out to vote last weekend. 

You know why they don't bother turning AC in hospitals, nursing homes etc?? Think minute droplets.

Grand idea sending everyone who voted to the same place. (same as in voters ÷ booths ÷ cubicles)

I may have missed it - any cut backs at AS?  Staff who don't have their normal work to do taking leave?  Hopefully nobody given pink slips ... 

23 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I may have missed it - any cut backs at AS?  Staff who don't have their normal work to do taking leave?  Hopefully nobody given pink slips ... 

Strangely silent!

Everyone must have compliant sail numbers now

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

should we enlist the assistance of phil kearns.......?

1 hour ago, Abbo said:

(Abo) "I'm only relying on what you say or is that wrong or misleading so you duck the 3 questions I put to you? Still waiting mate."

I said go and educate yourself. I have no intention of "answering your questions". Clearly trying to teach you anything is a complete waste of time. 

"BTW Jan Power Market goers were cleaned out by police and JPM have released statement that any further markets will have numbers restricted as per supermarkets."

Bullshit. Cops did not close them down. Proof please. (if you have any) Supermarkets won't BEGIN limiting numbers until tomorrow, so why should JPFM have done it yesterday?

"I'm a gullible reactionary Murdoch press puppet Abo? Funny the press puppet you have a hard on for? I agree you should stop."

Sky - “It's an attack on our liberties” to have the majority of the population shut away in our homes in a bid to combat the coronavirus pandemic."

OR

Herald Sun -“This virus less deadly than feared - Only kills the old - Quarantine just the potentially infectious and isolate the vulnerable – the frail and people over 65.”

What the fuck are you on about? The original hatchet job article was in the courier mail. Are you sating that's not Murdoch owned? 

I will say this again as you seem to be unable to read . My partner was at the JPFM at Manly yesterday......She said everyone was observing social distancing and she felt much, much safer than a  trip to Woolies.

So which JPFM did you attend? None obviously so STFU and stop spreading hysteria you FUCKING IGNORANT CUNT!!!

1 hour ago, Abbo said:

Why don't you try sticking to facts before you tell anyone to rethink anything. You are speaking shit. JPFM have done everything that was required of them to get the go ahead which was approved by council. They are operating under the exact same rules as the supermarkets and meeting all of them, and by all reports doing a better job than the supermarkets.

So Abo you still avoid like questions like the plague that fuck with your narrative.

I didn't say police "closed down" (they might have I don't know) that market. I said "cleaned (people) out" or moved some/all on. You don't believe that well you had better ring up Channel 9 and tell them their news footage is fake.

Channel 9 News - Police speak to stall holders and move people on at market

Now that you raise it I do know Courier Mail Murdoch owned, but nor do I or can I read the Courier Mail. It is you who stated that it was Murdoch media what I based my fuckstick opinion on, so I gave you an example of that being the opposite to my views. You can't understand that? Mmmm.

If my reply to Scan suggesting he rethink that only people upset about market episode are only those who have a government job you regard as speaking shit and not sticking to facts, very weird, but so be it.

I understand what you said. You and or your partner did not attend the JPFM market in question that you said the photo was a complete stitch up and where the police spoke to stall holders and moved people on which you say is bullshit. Yet you weren't there, make shit up about it but say with my absence I should STFU? I said JPFM subsequently released a statement saying restrictions would apply to any further markets as per supermarkets and you repeated that back as grounds to why this event yesterday shouldn't be questioned by anyone.

Abo as for me politely questioning what you say as me spreading hysteria and being a uneducated fuckstick and a cunt?

Well mate you really should take a Bex and have a lie down first before watching that Channel 9 Vid. Turnip.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

How was it allowed to go ahead?? Isn't holding a market contrary to directive?

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The same supermarkets that restrict number of shoppers and with strict protocols in supply chain to reduce spread?

How many are actual farmers and not people reselling produce bought wholesale? Restrict it those that are bona fide producers?

A disease that spreads like wildfire, where  you can have it and show no symptoms but still spread it so authorities open up a weekend attraction. That makes sense.

Coles and Woolworths limit number of customers inside their stores to protect public from coronavirus

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Photo is imaterial. The authority are fucktards for allowing markets to open. Anyway this probably belongs in Oz viris thread.

Yep, nothing but sane, rational posts here.

Give me a fucking break.

16 minutes ago, Abbo said:

Yep, nothing but sane, rational posts here.

Give me a fucking break.

Mate nothing to say about the Channel 9 showing you up to be a dill and all you claimed horesehit. How unexpected.

Bunnings is an essential service based on the number of punters buying one pot plant

20 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Bunnings is an essential service based on the number of punters buying one pot plant

You forgot the roaring trade at Bunnings for PPE. 

ESQj-06X0AAQCeZ.thumb.jpeg.983b333d577022760ce816b7ee36539a.jpeg.647f2e53a2a2afbd7f9b93d270f067dd.jpeg

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate nothing to say about the Channel 9 showing you up to be a dill and all you claimed horesehit. How unexpected.

I haven't watched channel 9 (or 7 or 10) news since I was in high school. A sad and sorry example of mainstream journalism.

You obviously still do, and because of this you are now an expert on exactly what went on at the JPFM at New Farm yesterday. Good for you. If you can't spot hit job clickbait journalism by now then you never will.

So go back to sleep you brainless News Corp sheep and enjoy your ignorant bliss bubble.

I will continue to support small farmers, producers and wholesalers every chance I get.

39 minutes ago, Abbo said:

I haven't watched channel 9 (or 7 or 10) news since I was in high school. A sad and sorry example of mainstream journalism.

You obviously still do, and because of this you are now an expert on exactly what went on at the JPFM at New Farm yesterday. Good for you. If you can't spot hit job clickbait journalism by now then you never will.

So go back to sleep you brainless News Corp sheep and enjoy your ignorant bliss bubble.

I will continue to support small farmers, producers and wholesalers every chance I get.

Fellas, could we maybe compromise, crack a beer, agree that everyone’s a bastard and leave it there?

Not that watching you two go at it isn’t fun, but isn’t this thread meant to be about Shaggy and LB 15 doing their best to wind up Glennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn from Australian Sailing? 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Abbo said:

Ogh fuck I was happy to let it lie but Abo you are still intent on banging on making shit up. This after saying I'm spreading hysteria, am an uneducated fuckstick, a cunt who ignores fact and should STFU.

This diatribe from you Abo all despite only politely questioning your statements to date and by your own admission you or your partner weren't in attendance at JPFM New Farm but another one.

10 hours ago, Abbo said:

Your ignorance is beginning to show. Go and read up on the Jan Powers Markets and educate yourself before commenting fuckstick

9 hours ago, Abbo said:

Why don't you try sticking to facts before you tell anyone to rethink anything. You are speaking shit.

9 hours ago, Abbo said:

So which JPFM did you attend? None obviously so STFU and stop spreading hysteria you FUCKING IGNORANT CUNT!!!

Well Abo fuck you now pal.

You say I watch Australian TV. No I don't and so it seems we share something in common.

I haven't watched channel 9 (or 7 or 10) news since I was in high school.... You obviously still do.."

So because of this and when neither of us both knew anyone there at JPFM New Farm, how can we be experts on what transpired? Again I agree.

".....and because of this you are now an expert on exactly what went on at the JPFM at New Farm yesterday."

However we can surely both agree and rely on what is shown Channel 9 video and agree one would normally think.

Channel 9 News - Police speak to stall holders and move people on at market

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

But NO NOT ABO... it was all rigged including a stiched up photo and faked video incl fake coppers conversing with pissed off fake stall holders.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

How was it allowed to go ahead?? Isn't holding a market contrary to directive?

11 hours ago, Abbo said:

The photograph is a complete stitch up.

9 hours ago, Abbo said:

"BTW Jan Power Market goers were cleaned out by police and JPM have released statement that any further markets will have numbers restricted  as per supermarkets."

Bullshit. Cops did not close them down. Proof please. (if you have any) Supermarkets won't BEGIN limiting numbers until tomorrow, so why should JPFM have done it yesterday?

2 hours ago, Abbo said:

Yes Abo you do say you are into support of producers but don't want to go near the subject of them largely not being producers, with even my suggestion to support producers or subject of supermarkets having strictet protocols in their supply chain to reduce viral spread compared to markets? Why don't you address the questions? Simple it fucks up your narrow minded narrative.

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The same supermarkets that restrict number of shoppers and with strict protocols in supply chain to reduce spread?

How many are actual farmers and not people reselling produce bought wholesale? Restrict it those that are bona fide producers?

9 hours ago, Abbo said:

I'm only relying on what you say or is that wrong or misleading so you duck the 3 questions I put to you? Still waiting mate.

I said go and educate yourself. I have no intention of "answering your questions". Clearly trying to teach you anything is a complete waste of time. 

So Abo to conclude.

1. Video evidence that things transpired exactly as I described, but you refute.

2. The promoter JPFM have stated any further markets will have added restrictions exactly as I questioned not applying that you had no idea existed until I told you. BTW I have known Jan Power for over 40 years and her kids incl late Sammy who organised the markets.

3. The Premier of your State has come out and suggested your approach is wrong and if continued she will close markets down.

So Abo to your personel view, putting to one side you don't accept anything which is on the public record including video evidence and all that what you say, has been plucked out of your arse;

1. We clearly both have no regard for main stream media, despite me saying to the contrary.

2. Your entire narrative is founded upon your local market (not the one in question, but same operator) being one you didn't attend but in your words of your partner was; "everyone was observing social distancing and she felt much, much safer than a trip  to Woolies." So no relevance at all to subject market.

9 hours ago, Abbo said:

..She said everyone was observing social distancing and she felt much, much safer than a trip to Woolies.

So nothing more Abo but an observation of your partner that you thought sufficient to ignore any question from me and come out with a vindictive of I'm spreading hysteria, I'm a mouth piece of others, I'm an uneducated fuckstick and a cunt who ignores fact and should STFU.

Abo you might have to sit down here as this may come as a huge fucking shock to you.

If you honestly think a national and state response to a global pandemic should be questioned by two people out of 25.5 million rooting each other, sex undetermined, who aren't epidemiologists or have unpronounceable scientific degrees behind their names, all on the basis of one of the pair comparing a trip to Woolies to their local market....mate you come from another fucking planet.

Abo save you yourself a reply because I won't be responding to you a rude, arrogant, cowardly and bullying cunt, and to boot an evasive sneaky little fuck, though I would be interested to know what the colour of the sky is in your world.

1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

Fellas, could we maybe compromise, crack a beer, agree that everyone’s a bastard and leave it there?

Not that watching you two go at it isn’t fun, but isn’t this thread meant to be about Shaggy and LB 15 doing their best to wind up Glennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn from Australian Sailing? 

Sorry Jason I tried to coax Abo out of here and have a beer but he was intent on sodomising me not once but half a dozen times. I'm not really into that.

10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

... Anyway this probably belongs in Oz viris thread.

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Be careful, a comment like that will get you banned by Scooter. If everyone on SA did as you suggested, the traffic to SA would drop by 95%. The endless arguments going around in circles creates the traffic that gets the ads which pay the bills

10 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Sorry gents, been a bit remiss of late, its been nuts since this whole coronavirus thing blew up. 

Just finished writing up a bunch of processes for a sailing club on virus detection, prevention and mitigation. 

Now if I was smart I would put together a national representative body that would take on this virus thing and create a framework of processes to give to the clubs for a properly co-ordinated and  uniform approach on how to help mitigate their risks and most importantly...protect their members. 

The cost is negligible, as the time and effort in documenting and creating the framework is only done once and then distributed to many clubs that don't have the manpower or skills to do it themselves.

If only ......

Regards,

Scooter_photo.thumb.jpg.7b406376934a41d441c3b53a01cec75a.jpg

• Like 3

Glennnnnnnnnn will be in touch soon

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DtM said:

Glennnnnnnnnn will be in touch soon

Geological time-scale 'soon' anyway.

FKT

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ogh fuck I was happy to let it lie but Abo you are still intent on banging on making shit up. This after saying I'm spreading hysteria, am an uneducated fuckstick, a cunt who ignores fact and should STFU.

This diatribe from you Abo all despite only politely questioning your statements to date and by your own admission you or your partner weren't in attendance at JPFM New Farm but another one.

You say I watch Australian TV. No I don't and so it seems we share something in common.

I haven't watched channel 9 (or 7 or 10) news since I was in high school.... You obviously still do.."

So because of this and when neither of us both knew anyone there at JPFM New Farm, how can we be experts on what transpired? Again I agree.

".....and because of this you are now an expert on exactly what went on at the JPFM at New Farm yesterday."

However we can surely both agree and rely on what is shown Channel 9 video and agree one would normally think.

But NO NOT ABO... it was all rigged including a stiched up photo and faked video incl fake coppers conversing with pissed off fake stall holders.

Yes Abo you do say you are into support of producers but don't want to go near the subject of them largely not being producers, with even my suggestion to support producers or subject of supermarkets having strictet protocols in their supply chain to reduce viral spread compared to markets? Why don't you address the questions? Simple it fucks up your narrow minded narrative.

So Abo to conclude.

1. Video evidence that things transpired exactly as I described, but you refute.

2. The promoter JPFM have stated any further markets will have added restrictions exactly as I questioned not applying that you had no idea existed until I told you. BTW I have known Jan Power for over 40 years and her kids incl late Sammy who organised the markets.

3. The Premier of your State has come out and suggested your approach is wrong and if continued she will close markets down.

So Abo to your personel view, putting to one side you don't accept anything which is on the public record including video evidence and all that what you say, has been plucked out of your arse;

1. We clearly both have no regard for main stream media, despite me saying to the contrary.

2. Your entire narrative is founded upon your local market (not the one in question, but same operator) being one you didn't attend but in your words of your partner was; "everyone was observing social distancing and she felt much, much safer than a trip  to Woolies." So no relevance at all to subject market.

So nothing more Abo but an observation of your partner that you thought sufficient to ignore any question from me and come out with a vindictive of I'm spreading hysteria, I'm a mouth piece of others, I'm an uneducated fuckstick and a cunt who ignores fact and should STFU.

Abo you might have to sit down here as this may come as a huge fucking shock to you.

If you honestly think a national and state response to a global pandemic should be questioned by two people out of 25.5 million rooting each other, sex undetermined, who aren't epidemiologists or have unpronounceable scientific degrees behind their names, all on the basis of one of the pair comparing a trip to Woolies to their local market....mate you come from another fucking planet.

Abo save you yourself a reply because I won't be responding to you a rude, arrogant, cowardly and bullying cunt, and to boot an evasive sneaky little fuck, though I would be interested to know what the colour of the sky is in your world.

Been busy doing a lot of googling haven't you? Oh how enlightened you must be as the resident keyboard warrior fighting for the safety of out nation. Better stay inside chicken little, the sky is definitely falling.

I'll be outside, going to markets and supporting small farmers and primary producers and yes, supporting the small wholesalers too.

For what it's worth I have now spoken to several people who were at the New Farm markets on Saturday, the all had similar experience to my partner at Manly and can't see what all the fuss is about. But I am wasting my time here, you know better because you read it on the internet.

35 minutes ago, Abbo said:

Been busy doing a lot of googling haven't you? Oh how enlightened you must be as the resident keyboard warrior fighting for the safety of out nation. Better stay inside chicken little, the sky is definitely falling.

I'll be outside, going to markets and supporting small farmers and primary producers and yes, supporting the small wholesalers too.

For what it's worth I have now spoken to several people who were at the New Farm markets on Saturday, the all had similar experience to my partner at Manly and can't see what all the fuss is about. But I am wasting my time here, you know better because you read it on the internet.

Abbo, do us all a favour - fuck off, will you?

Talk about a load of bullshit. You don't live in Wynnum Central, by any chance?

FKT

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Abbo, do us all a favour - fuck off, will you?

Talk about a load of bullshit. You don't live in Wynnum Central, by any chance?

FKT

You first.

Regional jokes from at Tasmanian! you really want to open that can of worms?

You are going to have to do better than that petal.

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

So Abo to conclude.

Bloody hell Jack, almost channeling Brucy Hudson with that post

58 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Bloody hell Jack, almost channeling Brucy Hudson with that post

We haven't been blessed with Brucey's expertise for a while. Wonder if he's hanging out on some coronavirus conspiracy site, giving them the benefit of his profound wisdom.

It's too much to hope that he's one of the NZ victims I suppose.

FKT

4 hours ago, Abbo said:

You first.

Regional jokes from at Tasmanian! you really want to open that can of worms?

You are going to have to do better than that petal.

Don't even think starting with that line of attack. And really, if you want to appear all cultured and enlightened then is your handle really that appropriate in the 21st century?

And finally can you and Jack just pull your heads in and take your little debate about a Brisbane farmer's market somewhere else where someone might give a shit? Every bit of credibility we have in attacking AS just goes out the window. 

So, as a segue, from COVID-19 back to AS, I got my membership bill from my Hobart club this week. They've only charged for 6 months considering the circumstances. Considering my circumstances: limited access to my boat (that I've already paid separately in advance to store there), no organised sailing, no access to the club facilities (I'm not going to drive 85 km to get some takeaways), then I'm not getting much for my money, if anything. But I am still earning a salary unlike many so I will pay, if only to keep the club employees paid, but I would object strongly if any of my reduced subs went to AS, because the tiny thing I do get from them (administration of the sport of yacht racing) is not available to me for the foreseeable future.

So, does anyone know if AS is giving the clubs relief from capitation or banding fees at the moment?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

Don't even think starting with that line of attack. And really, if you want to appear all cultured and enlightened then is your handle really that appropriate in the 21st century?

And finally can you and Jack just pull your heads in and take your little debate about a Brisbane farmer's market somewhere else where someone might give a shit? Every bit of credibility we have in attacking AS just goes out the window. 

So, as a segue, from COVID-19 back to AS, I got my membership bill from my Hobart club this week. They've only charged for 6 months considering the circumstances. Considering my circumstances: limited access to my boat (that I've already paid separately in advance to store there), no organised sailing, no access to the club facilities (I'm not going to drive 85 km to get some takeaways), then I'm not getting much for my money, if anything. But I am still earning a salary unlike many so I will pay, if only to keep the club employees paid, but I would object strongly if any of my reduced subs went to AS, because the tiny thing I do get from them (administration of the sport of yacht racing) is not available to me for the foreseeable future.

So, does anyone know if AS is giving the clubs relief from capitation or banding fees at the moment?

Pirate, I suggest you direct your comments elsewhere. I didn't bring up the markets, nor did I bring up regional slurs,  so don't blame me for taking it off topic. You'll notice I did refrain from launching into my favourite Tasmanian material, out of respect for several excellent friends I have down there. I also recently did some cruising down there and was overwhelmed by the friendly, warm and welcoming nature of ALL the Apple Isle's people I encountered. I do however, reserve the right to call bullshit when I hear it. After all, this is SA right?

My handle is a nickname I earned whilst sailing in the USA in the late 90's. Didn't chose it but it stuck. It seemed appropriate 16 years ago when I joined SA forums as they were heavily US biased back then and it did indeed help me reconnect with quite a few lost friends. Is it appropriate now? Probably no more or less than it was then. Am I going to change it? No. Millions of sock puppets have come and gone in that time, but I am still here. If you are offended then I suggest you search youtube for a terrifically intelligent, level headed and funny chap by the name of Stephen Hughes. He does a great piece about how modern society is becoming obsessed with being offended, it getting a bit old now but it's quite possibly more relevant than ever. Definitely something in it for you I'm guessing.

Tally ho chaps.

1 minute ago, Abbo said:

He does a great piece about how modern society is becoming obsessed with being offended, it getting a bit old now but it's quite possibly more relevant than ever. Definitely something in it for you I'm guessing.

Oh, the irony.

For someone who's been here for decades, you're remarkably easy to troll... good thing LB 15 is away.

OBTW you can make all the Tasmanian jokes you like - maybe I'll hear a new one that I can share with my GF. She thinks that everyone who posts on SA is a total fuckwit already so you can help reinforce this - it might keep her ignoring the national cleavage day thread.

FKT

Someone should start a Queensland Farmers market thread. I'll second Abbo's comment, in that I've always found the little island people very hospitable  - makes up for the weather (not that Vic is much better).

Wait. What - there's a cleavage thread? Who knew.

32 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

you're remarkably easy to troll... good thing LB 15 is away.

O h really?

LB 15? I only talking to him on the phone a few days ago. Why? What do you think he would say about a good mate of his?

He's the only reason I started following this thread.

3 hours ago, Abbo said:

nor did I bring up regional slurs, [I didn't realise that being asked if you came from Wynnum Central was a defined region, let alone a slur, and I don't really know where that is, but you played the Tasmanian card]so don't blame me for taking it off topic. You'll notice I did refrain from launching into my favourite Tasmanian material [there's that regional card again. Is there any favourite Wynnum Central material? I guess not] out of respect for several excellent friends I have down there. [Some of my best friends are Tasmanian too. Some of my best friends are also Aboriginal] I also recently did some cruising down there and was overwhelmed by the friendly, warm and welcoming nature of ALL the Apple Isle's people I encountered. I do however, reserve the right to call bullshit when I hear it. After all, this is SA right?

My handle is a nickname I earned whilst sailing in the USA in the late 90's. Didn't chose it but it stuck. It seemed appropriate 16 years ago when I joined SA forums as they were heavily US biased back then [ hmmm, cos even then an African-American slur would be frowned upon as a handle, but those yanks wouldn't care about Australian racist slurs. That's only something that we Australians would be concerned about] it did indeed help me reconnect with quite a few lost friends. Is it appropriate now? Probably no more or less than it was then. [Just like an Aussie giving an American the N-word as a nickname would work here? And try changing your name to the N-word on this American site and see how long you last.[ Am I going to change it? No. [Not until someone reports it I reckon] Millions of sock puppets have come and gone in that time, but I am still here. If you are offended [well, I wasn't before. I was just making a point. But now that you have owned it, acknowledged it and decided that meh, it's not bad, then yes, I am offended - by your arrogance] then I suggest you search youtube for a terrifically intelligent, level headed and funny chap by the name of Stephen Hughes. He does a great piece about how modern society is becoming obsessed with being offended, it getting a bit old now but it's quite possibly more relevant than ever. Definitely something in it for you I'm guessing. [there possibly is. I will check it out. But I guess that if there's anything in it that suggests that it's ok to have a well known pejorative racist nickname, no matter how innocently acquired, and still be proud of using it, then no, it's definitely not for me.]

Tally ho chaps.

Says the man who is proud of his nickname which is at best a perjorative reference to indigenous Australians (and at worst racist), and takes the moral high ground for not using his "favourite Tasmanian material" (presumed to be the usual stereotypical slurs of being inbred, two heads, ignorant etc) because someone (not me, I wouldn't dare) questioned if he lived in a suburb of Brisbane.

Hmmm, who has the inferiority complex here? Didn't I have a boat called that? Oh, no, that was Oedipus Complex. Because I'm Tasmanian. And I really loved my Mumm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Yeah if you scroll back up a bit you'll see the letter from AS President to Clubs kicking the fees off to 2021.... its a good move well received at Club land.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Abbo said:

If you are offended then I suggest you search youtube for a terrifically intelligent, level headed and funny chap by the name of Stephen Hughes. He does a great piece about how modern society is becoming obsessed with being offended, it getting a bit old now but it's quite possibly more relevant than ever. Definitely something in it for you I'm guessing.

Tally ho chaps.

Well I watched the video of the " terrifically intelligent, level headed and funny chap," (draw your own conclusions as to that!), and found that nothing happens if you're offended. I'm guessing that's if you're not ... white, male, rich, Christian, Western, or any of the other groups to which we might fortuitously belong. Fuck me, we are sailors, yacht owners, we are the walking, sailing entitled. But I digress. Here's the Steve Hughes "great piece."

But back to your excuse. Maybe your use of the Australian N-word for your handle was just due to a misunderstanding. Like Trevor Noah, another terrifically intelligent, level headed and funny chap - for a black guy - misunderstands this.

And in future, Ask A Black.

Apologies if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. If so, you can apologise to your family on my behalf, and on yours.

48 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

Says the man who is proud of his nickname which is at best a perjorative reference to indigenous Australians (and at worst racist), and takes the moral high ground for not using his "favourite Tasmanian material" (presumed to be the usual stereotypical slurs of being inbred, two heads, ignorant etc) because someone (not me, I wouldn't dare) questioned if he lived in a suburb of Brisbane.

Hmmm, who has the inferiority complex here? Didn't I have a boat called that? Oh, no, that was Oedipus Complex. Because I'm Tasmanian. And I really loved my Mumm.

Strewth. Awful lot of crazy around here the last few days. Must have something to do with this. https://phasesmoon.com/australia/brisbane-city/

Some very creative writing there, completely unintelligible and pointless , but very imaginative. Well done.

I never made any slurs against Tasmanians, but you sure did. Never said I was proud of my handle, you dreamed that up too.

The nickname was given to me by a member of the crew, and it stuck. It was very much an unknown word on the east coast of the USA in the late 90's, it was used by pretty much the entire crew including the owner for two seasons all up and down the east coast and never onced caused a stir. I chose it simply because I wished to reconnect with my USA based sailing mates, 16 years ago. Would I choose it now? Of course not.

In 16 years of being on SA forums, you are the first person to bring it up. Well done sir. Perhaps I will change it. Maybe some good has come from your nonsensical dribble after all.

I might call LB15 and get some ideas for a new name, I am sure he will have a few crackers.

So now I'll let you get back to your preferred tropic of slagging off Tasmanians. Oh and I do thoroughly recommend you watch the youtube piece on being offended by Steven Hughes. Being "offended" is in plague proportions these days.

4 minutes ago, Abbo said:

Oh and I do thoroughly recommend you watch the youtube piece on being offended by Steven Hughes.

WTF? I did watch it. See above. Sorry if I write proper guv. Youse wouldn't fink 6th generation Van Diemonian lags like me could be so erudite your honour.

Fuck youse an all.

Do my eyes deceive me, a poster with a handle and avatar referencing pirate eye* and a poster with a handle "Abbo" going hammer and tongs for the high moral ground?  On SA? Never, couldn't happen here.

When's the footy starting again?

cumming into a girls eye then kicking her shin. Therefore she will be hoping around on one leg and one eye closed screaming argh!

• Like 5

Coronavirus cabin fever getting to anyone?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Secret Experiment said:

Do my eyes deceive me, a poster with a handle and avatar referencing pirate eye* and a poster with a handle "Abbo" going hammer and tongs for the high moral ground?  On SA? Never, couldn't happen here.

When's the footy starting again?

cumming into a girls eye then kicking her shin. Therefore she will be hoping around on one leg and one eye closed screaming argh!

Oh, come on. It's an Angry Pirate, not a pirate eye. You should know better. You've seen my Sabre.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

Oh, come on. It's an Angry Pirate, not a pirate eye. You should know better. You've seen my Sabre.

Oops, my bad.

For the accuracy of the record, I haven't ever seen your Sabre, would loved to have done but you were always sailing in the big boats when we had the chance to go head to head (did I really write that???).

I heard a rumour the 2022 Nationals were going to be at Midway Point (not 100% but was from a good source)??  How about you get some physio for your back and I'll save up for the boat ticket and we can have a friendly race or two!!

6 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

You may be irate, but it’s pretty clear what your profile picture came from;)

7 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

hahaha never heard of that. Good find!!!!!!

swallow-500x375.png

On 4/4/2020 at 9:38 AM, The Dark Knight said:

I got COVID-19ed, so no time soon. 

That doesn’t change anything. 

On 4/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, lydia said:

Strangely silent!

Everyone must have compliant sail numbers now

Listening to the ABC radio program "the Ticket" on sunday. there was a high level panel.  https://www.abc.net.au/radio/newsradio/podcasts/the-ticket/the-ticket:-5-april-2020/12128960. Interesting story about "player lead revolution" . It is really interesting to hear the panel CEOS and their views.

Given that AS represents the clubs and their interests and have embarked on a homogenised and centralised model of the sailing sport. Who is looking afters owners interests?  

As owners we now have assets that can not be used for their purpose and the entities that AS represents (clubs) shutting down. While owners are still left with the real costs of ownership (insurance fees, mariner fees maintenance costs).   

Is Australian Sailing negotiation with the clubs to provide assistance to those who have their boats in mariners that they cant even attend? Is Australian Sailing negotiating with insurance companies to reduce premiums to owners while there is no activity going on (my insurance went up $200). 

Australian Sailing have "fixed" their issues (capitalising on owners crew and contrasting sail numbers so the numbers can be seen in the finishing box/boat) but what about the real issues of support for the primary entities of the sport the owners? 

• Like 1

Could a "break away" authority work in Australia? If we look at motor racing, plenty of people were and still are fed up with the cost of membership vs value for money from the national administrator - CAMS. A breakaway administrator was formed some years ago - AASA who provides the same services as afforded by CAMS but at half the cost. Unfortunately you can't compete at the big name events with your AASA license but you can still be a weekend hack like me and complete a full years worth of racing at your local tracks = kind of like the way sailing works for many of us? Unless you want to do the big events which are run under the current administration, you could sail at your local club who may be affiliated with this new administrator who would ideally be setup to provide a mutually beneficial relationship between clubs and sailors of all levels?

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Great idea!

CAMS = Conspiracy Against Motor Sport

• Like 1

22 hours ago, snoopy said:

Given that AS represents the clubs and their interests and have embarked on a homogenised and centralised model of the sailing sport. Who is looking afters owners interests? 

Your club. A national class association to some degree as well depending on that association's objectives and role in the community.

You mean like RQYS looks after the interests of Greg Outridge and Michael Job  as owners under your RRS

or RYCT looks after Snoopy

ffs

The great disjunct continues

owners pay the money but have no say

clubs don’t pay money but have a say

• Like 2

Time for a national owners association me thinks. One where an owner's grievances will be given the attention it deserves.

AS must adapt or die. I see some evidence of adapting going on, just a shame it is in completely the wrong direction.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lydia said:

You mean like RQYS looks after the interests of Greg Outridge and Michael Job  as owners under your RRS

or RYCT looks after Snoopy

ffs

The great disjunct continues

owners pay the money but have no say

clubs don’t pay money but have a say

What share of sailors in Australia are members of a club. It is a solid majority then this is a governance issue. Not that simple actually as much like publicly traded companies individual owners have limited effect on governance. But a little engagement and forming some voting blocks and you can start to make yourself felt.

Many clubs will have the equivalent of antitakeover provisions (only a certain share of the board turns over per year,...must hold xyz post before holding commodore role) so it takes a sustained effort.

But that effort is probably less than starting over.

If heaving Glen out of office gives you more motivation then so be it.

55 minutes ago, grs said:

Your club. A national class association to some degree as well depending on that association's objectives and role in the community.

Not good enough.

by there nature clubs focus are on the many aspects of the business of running a club, there are many "business units" with in a club that need attention. The result is the sailors and owners interests are lost in the mix of competing interests and bias, there are many examples of this. Clubs now are busy trying to work out how to financially survive they are not interested in the owners and their needs.  This post shows that this model doesn't work. 

Why is there not state based keel boat associations? they could be organised via rating (IRC) or competition (Offshore) or one big state based group with sub committees? Then when AS wanted to propose changes they could talk to a wider audience with knowing what exactly is going on.   

Anyone old enough to remember the RATS (Rating Association of Tasmania South),  sort of what you are proposing,  but from my definitely hazy memories the meetings adjourned to the bar quite quickly.

RATS was an association of the big (rating) boat owners & crew of the time,  and used to raise issues with the 3 local clubs about the calendar and courses etc. that came from the racers.

Ocean Sailing Queensland was formed last November.

It is unashamedly a lobby group for owners of vessel capable of coastal passages.

It engages with regulatory authorities on issues relevant to owners such as safety requirements, insurance and cost.

Presently it does not intend to conduct races but engages with clubs to get better events for its members.

Those events may or may not be under the AS regime.

The RRS may or may not apply.

A set of rules reflecting the Col Regs has ben propagated.

In return, it delivers a ready made fleet of keel boats to a club event.

The first regatta was to be early May but that is now postponed.

New South Wales would be a prime place for a similar body given that Sailing NSW has been dissolved and AS seem have no ability or will to engage with state governments authorities as to local regulation.

Look a the farce that is the Col Regs in each state.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, grs said:

Seriously Glen?

What a trite and juvenile reply to a serious set of questions being asked by the people who pay your wages.

And if the class associations and the clubs handle all of that, why do we need AS?

YRCMTSU

• Like 3

On 4/9/2020 at 12:38 PM, lydia said:

It is unashamedly a lobby group for owners of vessel capable of coastal passages.

It engages with regulatory authorities on issues relevant to owners such as safety requirements, insurance and cost.

Presently it does not intend to conduct races but engages with clubs to get better events for its members.

Those events may or may not be under the AS regime.

The RRS may or may not apply.

A set of rules reflecting the Col Regs has ben propagated.

In return, it delivers a ready made fleet of keel boats to a club event.

The first regatta was to be early May but that is now postponed.

New South Wales would be a prime place for a similar body given that Sailing NSW has been dissolved and AS seem have no ability or will to engage with state governments authorities as to local regulation.

Look a the farce that is the Col Regs in each state.

Is there stickers?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rumpig said:

Just posted on Facebook by everyone's mate glennnnn

Maybe they should keep going with staff cutting and sack them all and start from scratch

https://www.sailing.org.au/news/australian-sailing-operations-update-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR0X0el3SDHewImBfW4_Ibb1Z_MFxXnohGbrrH-4TR0unlymxvQ9pVKpihs

Hmmm.  AS at it's finest.  It took 400+ words, but appears to say nothing.

• Like 2

Funny how that is all about the clubs not the sailors.

and there is the failure of the peak body.

• Like 1

So what changes did they actually make.

Give the details,  eg Glennnnnnnnnn is gone

• Like 1

Put SA into mothballs with a skeleton admin crew....and use the hiatus as a "Planning Period"....focus on sailors needs...emerge from the break with a commitment to meeting the identified needs.....reconsider the plan incorporating the feedback from sailors.........circulate the amended plan......seek a mandate from sailors for the delivery of the plan....implement plan.

3 hours ago, DtM said:

So what changes did they actually make.

Give the details,  eg Glennnnnnnnnn is gone

Guessing they’ve shed the workers and kept the management

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Couta said:

Put SA into mothballs with a skeleton admin crew....and use the hiatus as a "Planning Period"....focus on sailors needs...emerge from the break with a commitment to meeting the identified needs.....reconsider the plan incorporating the feedback from sailors.........circulate the amended plan......seek a mandate from sailors for the delivery of the plan....implement plan.

So no change then!

On 4/11/2020 at 7:51 PM, Turkey Slapper said:

Is there stickers?

Of course and t shirts!

21 hours ago, lydia said:

Of course and t shirts!

Don't forget the Elaborate and Flash Launch Party......

21 hours ago, lydia said:

Of course and t shirts!

Where's the artwork then?

FKT

On 4/9/2020 at 12:38 PM, lydia said:

Are there different divisions for members? I.e. Welterweight, Heavyweight etc.?

Or does everyone fight in the same weight class?

• Like 2

Separate bills!

Welterweight in Gladstone

Middleweight in Keppel

Heavyweight at the Customs House

and reflecting the Olympics, mixed events as well!

Of course eligibility issues will arise with some so called pros.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lydia said:

Of course eligibility issues will arise with some so called pros.

I’m not a pro, I just get my expenses paid for? Plus a hooker if we win the regatta?

17 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

I’m not a pro, I just get my expenses paid for? Plus a hooker if we win the regatta?

Exclusive or shared?

9 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Exclusive or shared?

Well, if it’s something as prestigious as the Queensland Intergalactic IRC Championships... probably shared?

For something like the Gladstone race... there’s more than enough hookers in Gladstone to go around? What’s the ration? Two per man, per day...

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Well, if it’s something as prestigious as the Queensland Intergalactic IRC Championships... probably shared?

Which crew position goes slops?

10 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Which crew position goes slops?

Well, the bowman is going to be sliding in first while no one is looking and everyone else is doing pack up...

The offside trimmer?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Well, the bowman is going to be sliding in first while no one is looking and everyone else is doing pack up...

The offside trimmer?

what about the "sewer rat"? they are used to working down a dark wet hole after the rest of crew have finished their work.

2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

what about the "sewer rat"? they are used to working down a dark wet hole after the rest of crew have finished their work.

Your average sewer rat though is used to asking the team to “jump on the end of this, and give it a pull.” So maybe they’re more into boys. NTTAWWT.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:24 AM, TUBBY said:

Anyone old enough to remember the RATS (Rating Association of Tasmania South),  sort of what you are proposing,  but from my definitely hazy memories the meetings adjourned to the bar quite quickly.

RATS was an association of the big (rating) boat owners & crew of the time,  and used to raise issues with the 3 local clubs about the calendar and courses etc. that came from the racers.

We had an owners association after RATS in Hobart up until 2008. It was well attended with just about all of the 20 or so owners going to the RYCT a couple of times per year. In those days AS had the offshore keelboat policy committee, chaired by David Kellett. Each state sent a delegate to discuss ratings, venues for Nationals and it was terrific to have naval architects like Don Jones, Andy Dovell and Malcolm Runnalls  advise on technical issues. We could get our issues on the agenda and the governing body got a good idea about what was happening in each state. The upshot was information was exchanged and distributed effectively through these meetings. They were happy days.

We'd been telling AS that the issue with low participation and stagnant growth was essentially cost. Owners didn't want to spend the money to be in a fleet of 6 or 7, especially as the same 3 boats dominated the results, but they did want a rating system. We started work on trialling ORC club and through the association, all of the owners had committed to give it a try and those with IRC committed to keep going. Trouble was the cost of ORCc went from $70 to $300 overnight so the owners decided to dump it.

It was decided to give AMS a go. The response was immediate. 30 new boats in the first year and the IRC fleet might have gained a boat of two. We had weigh in days and sail measurement days which helped contain costs. Recently it has emerged that some trying to kill AMS but I don't understand why, given that it gets people into a rating system, and at the end of the day owners have a choice. It's their boat after all and better than only having PHS. The results generally put the same boats on the podium. Both coexist and support each other quite happily.

It's never easy trying to please everyone and you have to be respectful that there are plenty of volunteers that give a lot of time to make things better. The communication and interaction between the owners and the clubs would be better if we had a forum to discuss what form of racing we would like, rather than the randomness of chewing a sailing committee members ear.  In the good old days recommendations it was done by owner consensus. One vote per boat which  thinned out a few from having an influence when they've never had any skin in the game.

Maybe its time to revisit this.

• Like 4

AS. would have to start listening first.

It does not how many times you say it, it is the cost that is the problem.

This idea that owners are rich they can afford to pay misses the point.

Owners are not going to pay for something that is not value for money.

AS does not provide value for money and sure a shit does not when it comes to administration of rating systems.

IRC cost is a disgrace.

Anyone want to test that compare the costs to the cost in the UK.

Big news everyone, owners are not there to support the jobs of administrators.

The owners choose the support administrators if there is value in doing so.

Somehow in the last 15 years people have forgotten this.

• Like 3

What AS seems to forget is that IRC, ORCi and even AMS are just Regression Models . If you have a whole lot of variables such as sail area, length, beam, weight, SPA etc etc and you have a series of results, such as three years racing on the Solent (in the case of the original predecessor to IRC - CHS), you can assign a "rating" as another input variable that will give a theoretical well sailed boat in a mixed fleet a first place.

What AS is selling you is a tricked up Excel spreadsheet, nothing more, and they are willing to charge you a lot for the privilege. This is why as Jeff says above, AMS is a much better proposition - the only difference here is that their theoretical fleet is based on a large sample of Australian boats (mostly Melbourne) and of course slightly different variables or inputs into the model, hence why you can get different results.

45 minutes ago, 42 South said:

AMS is a much better proposition - the only difference here is that their theoretical fleet is based on a large sample of Australian boats (mostly Melbourne) and of course slightly different variables or inputs into the model, hence why you can get different results.

and a lot cheaper....

I like the theory of the Kiwi's PHRF. It's mostly a measurement based system with a fudge factor based on past performance. It gives sailors of different skill levels the ability to compete with each other whilst limiting the penalty on good sailors and limiting the advantage gained by crap sailors. It forces you to improve your sailing ability before you can reap rewards without making it seem impossible for Saturday hacks.  It also removes much of the variation in handicaps between isolated fleets. 

Perfect for club racing and as a 2nd tier handicap system for major races.

We always bitch n moan about our PHRF ( well.... you have to, right? )

But it works reasonably well.  I don't think I've ever sailed on a boat with a good PHRF handicap because - it's usually a bit of an oinker innit?

Naturally it doesn't always suit your boat in the conditions of the day.  Fresh upwind on my boat was a good day to work on the contents of the chilly bin (esky)

16 minutes ago, wal' said:

We always bitch n moan about our PHRF ( well.... you have to, right? )

But it works reasonably well.  I don't think I've ever sailed on a boat with a good PHRF handicap because - it's usually a bit of an oinker innit?

Naturally it doesn't always suit your boat in the conditions of the day.  Fresh upwind on my boat was a good day to work on the contents of the chilly bin (esky)

Every day is a good day to work on the chilly bin, just a matter of when you start.

.... good point!

And  now it's become NZ Sailing. Who let the Kiwis out?

But seriously, how would or does the NZ national body deal with some of the issues raised in the last 19 pages of this thread?

8 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

And  now it's become NZ Sailing. Who let the Kiwis out?

But seriously, how would or does the NZ national body deal with some of the issues raised in the last 19 pages of this thread?

One would argue, somewhat more effectively (and efficiently $ ) than AS .

20 minutes ago, Flags said:

One would argue, somewhat more effectively (and efficiently $ ) than AS .

That's not a very high bar you're setting there cobber - anything specific?

On 4/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, jeff said:

One vote per boat which  thinned out a few from having an influence when they've never had any skin in the game.

The fundamental problem.

Those with no skin in the game trying to dictate to those that do, then getting upset and being vindictive cunts when they get hurt feelings because no body takes them seriously.

• Like 2

What do the Kiwi's pay for an IRC certificate renewal?

On 4/18/2020 at 3:23 PM, 42 South said:

What AS seems to forget is that IRC, ORCi and even AMS are just Regression Models . If you have a whole lot of variables such as sail area, length, beam, weight, SPA etc etc and you have a series of results, such as three years racing on the Solent (in the case of the original predecessor to IRC - CHS), you can assign a "rating" as another input variable that will give a theoretical well sailed boat in a mixed fleet a first place.

What AS is selling you is a tricked up Excel spreadsheet, nothing more, and they are willing to charge you a lot for the privilege. This is why as Jeff says above, AMS is a much better propos