Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, jeff said:

 

Not sure if you have to be a "peasant" to own a mumm36. I've been called worse and it may be true of me, but the others are pretty decent guys......  

Jeff

In the world of the yacht racing elite, a Mumm 36 is a boat for peasants....

I see none of the local Mumms have joined the championships. Given that Hobart seems to be Aussie Mumm 36 centre of excellence, some one might have entered.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what's wrong with an Opti kid being awarded the Rolex Male athlete of the Year?  Here's what  Shirley Robertson had to say: "Marco is undoubtedly a great talent, and I'm sure in time we will s

It's strange where one can gain motivation, sometimes in the unlikeliest of places. Mrs Octopus, stumbled a bit and has misrepresented the facts. Curious by comparison just appears to be  misinformed,

That's an awesome set of rose-coloured glasses you've got on! Yes, I prefer the discourse be public as other anarchists are interested also in the discussion.  You must be puzzled by the disconne

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Glen Stanaway on LinkedIn...

 

”Organising authorities of a sailing event can apply for a National Jury so that there are no appeals, if there are no international entrants.”

Read the fine print: This actually came from AS own RSG (Rules Specialist Group) and basically chastised AS for appointing National Juries in the past for events that had International competitors even though the RRS actually preclude this! Go figure! YCMTSU

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Read the fine print: This actually came from AS own RSG (Rules Specialist Group) and basically chastised AS for appointing National Juries in the past for events that had International competitors even though the RRS actually preclude this! Go figure! YCMTSU

Its all good, the members of the club paid for the flights, accommodation and meals for the Jurors one night trip to hear the redress. The Members don't mind at all. 

Cost of flying 3 jurors interstate for a 1 hour hearing.......$  2 000

Cost of a solicitor and QC to attend the hearing...............$30 000

Look on the flag officers face after the next election........Priceless.

Related image

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, click on the link in the "event website"

https://www.yachtingchamps.org.au/2020-yachting-championships/race-documents-entry/

Or the link on the RYCT website http://www.ryct.org.au/sailing/ayc20/ and do you find any Sailing Instructions?

Seems to me that today is definitely "on or before Monday 23 December 2019." Unless my calendar is wrong.

Race 1 for Div 1 (the S2H) starts in 3 days and competitors don't know what the SI's specify yet?

Continuing the Monty Python theme, does anyone else think that this event is turning into a farcical aquatic ceremony?

Screenshot_20191223-205935_Drive.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lydia said:

Are the SI s out yet or are we wait8ngnfor a another change given the div 1boats will have more time to change configurations after the first race of the series

SI's are out. Check here. https://www.ryct.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-Australian-Yachting-Championships-SIs-FINAL.pdf

They were emailed to entrants on Tuesday 24th.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering how we comply with the Sail Declaration that mentions SA SR 4.24.1 (e) when there isn't one. Australian Sailing Special Regulation 4.24.1 only goes to d). The regatta is Cat 5.

And if I'm brave enough to bring this to the attention of the Sailing Manager.

Screenshot_20191228-210848_Word.jpg

Screenshot_20191228-211123_Drive.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note also that the AS SR 4.10.1 require you to carry paper charts. The SI's state these to be AUS 171 and 173 which, "cover the course area and are recommended." Except that they don't cover the whole area. Courses 6 and 8 require rounding of Wedge Island to port (ie from the South). Only the Northern tip of the island is on AUS 171. And the SI's do not refer specifically to AS SR 4.10.1. What is it like to the South of this island?

In terms of real safety and navigation this is no problem to us locals. No problem to those (all of us) with electronic charts. But it only takes one pedantic legal eagle (why aren't you doing this series Lydia?) to challenge the AS SR 4.10.1 requirement, the SI recommendation, and the actual charts of the race area on the grounds of compliance rather than reality.

Forgive me for being pedantic. In my daily work I operate in a compliance framework which is sometimes ludicrously inconsistent. But that's just about the future of peoples' lives and careers.

Sailing is more important than that. Can we get it right?

But, nevertheless I have all my Cat 5 navigation requirements to sail, in daylight, the waters I know like the back of my hand. I have my recommended paper charts, my hand bearing compass, my chart protractor, my Garmin GPSmap handheld, and the Navionics app on my tablet. Not to forget my mobile phone to SMS my intention to start and POB to race control. And, my handheld VHF stuffed into the pocket of my PFD. The same VHF that can't be trusted to give the intention to start and POB in a fleet of 33, and would not be permitted in our Hobart Combined Clubs Summer Pennant Series where a, "fitted VHF radio is mandatory," to sail week in, week out, on the same waters as the Australian Yachting Championships.

Looking forward to sailing in summer, finally. Whatever the result. My tip for Div 3 is (Slowest Boat) Katwinchar 0.887 1st, Thompson 7, 1.049. (Smallest Boat), back there having fun.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Official Opening Ceremony tonight. I played the "I live too far away," card and sent the Tactition with the promise of a few free drinks and nibbles. Feedback was it was buy your own drinks and a paper bag with a class pennant flag and printed copy of the SI's. Great value for the $350 entry fee.

One wonders why it was Invitation Only - Owner + 1. If they made it free for all they would have maxed it on bar sales.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Copied from an article in The Guardian today on Alan Jones... the last bloke you’d want going in to bat for you?

 

“On 25 February, in the lead-up to the March state election, Jones wrote to Ayres asking him to support grants for Australian Sailing for its new training and administration centre at Neutral Bay on Sydney harbour. The exchange demonstrates how Jones uses his influence to smooth troubled waters.

“Happy New Year. I don’t think we’ve spoken … I’m sure you know this is our most successful Olympic sport,” Jones wrote to Ayres.

“And yet this is an outfit that’s cash poor. Surely to God you can manage $1.3 million over four years. Hope the electorate is going well. Yell if I can help. Kindest regards. With Best Wishes, Alan.”

Ayres wrote a lengthy reply. “To be frank, I’ve found the behaviour of Sailing Australia (sic) appalling,” he confided to Jones. “In my view, it has done the sport an incredible disservice in NSW.”

Australian Sailing had failed to follow his advice and apply for various grants and had then turned on him in the media, Ayres wrote.

“I play politics as hard as the best of them but I’ve seen more professionalism at the Cambridge Park under 8s Rugby League team,” he wrote. “As you can see I’m quite frustrated with their behaviour and lack [of] willingness to follow any advice we provided them.”

Australian Sailing said it had no comment other than to note that it enjoyed a strong relationship with the NSW government.

In the face of Jones’s interest, Ayres said he would “talk to Matt Allen [president of Australian Sailing, who retired recently] about the steps they should take to repair the situation and be better placed to secure funding for their facilities and events.

“I’ll keep you informed of how I go with Matt. Regards, Stuart.”

“Thanks for the blunt reply,” Jones wrote back. “That’s why you are a very good minister. And you are on top of things. Keep me informed. I won’t say anything to Matt Allen until I hear back from you. Is everything okay in the electorate? Yell out if I can help. Kindest regards. With best wishes, Alan.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well a mixed days results for us but just wondering. Is this a national championships? Three races for Div B and C during which I'm sure the pin wasn't moved once. Pin end bias on race 1, boat end on races 2 and 3. And results which give places only with no elapsed or corrected time to confirm how well or badly we went. 

 

Screenshot_20200103-212801_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Is this a national championships? ... results which give places only with no elapsed or corrected time to confirm how well or badly we went. 

I noticed this also - that's not really good enough for club level racing - for a supposed national championship using handicaps, it's unacceptable.

But a quick google showed that RYCT did show elapsed and corrected times in the Maria Island Race, so it's not that their system doesn't support it.

You there GRS?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I noticed this also - that's not really good enough for club level racing - for a supposed national championship using handicaps, it's unacceptable.

But a quick google showed that RYCT did show elapsed and corrected times in the Maria Island Race, so it's not that their system doesn't support it.

You there GRS?

It's topyacht so there is plenty of options for what they can show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 42 South said:

A few boats returning with no mains up so I expect there will be a few retirements from the long distance race today. Pirate did a couple of nice round-ups on the way back and was the first to retire???

The first to announce our retirement. Another boat retired before us but forgot to radio in until halfway home.

We had 30+ knots of breeze beam reaching just before the Iron Pot. With 9nm downwind to the mark we thought we'd put the boat onto the wind to see what it would be like on the way back. Fuck that for a game of soldiers. The PRO did specifically instruct skippers to be prudent considering the forecast.

From the radio chatter there were quite a few retirements and a crew member lifted off and taken to an ambulance.

Alive broke a masthead kite halyard. Quest shredded a kite which we witnessed the remains of.

Considering the call to be prudent I would have thought a course down the Channel rather than into Storm Bay might have been more prudent.

Oh, and those round ups. I wasn't driving. I was attempting to have a piss. But we did get 19 knots under the chicken kite on the way home.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 9:34 PM, (p)Irate said:

Well a mixed days results for us but just wondering. Is this a national championships? Three races for Div B and C during which I'm sure the pin wasn't moved once. Pin end bias on race 1, boat end on races 2 and 3. And results which give places only with no elapsed or corrected time to confirm how well or badly we went. 

 

Screenshot_20200103-212801_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’ve been told that for race one the elapsed/corrected times aren’t shown due to race one for Div 1 coming from the hobart finishing result. Note that all further races are showing elapsed and corrected results.

A quick email to the sailing manager confirmed this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 9:37 PM, Jason AUS said:

Copied from an article in The Guardian today on Alan Jones... the last bloke you’d want going in to bat for you?

 

“On 25 February, in the lead-up to the March state election, Jones wrote to Ayres asking him to support grants for Australian Sailing for its new training and administration centre at Neutral Bay on Sydney harbour. The exchange demonstrates how Jones uses his influence to smooth troubled waters.

“Happy New Year. I don’t think we’ve spoken … I’m sure you know this is our most successful Olympic sport,” Jones wrote to Ayres.

“And yet this is an outfit that’s cash poor. Surely to God you can manage $1.3 million over four years. Hope the electorate is going well. Yell if I can help. Kindest regards. With Best Wishes, Alan.”

Ayres wrote a lengthy reply. “To be frank, I’ve found the behaviour of Sailing Australia (sic) appalling,” he confided to Jones. “In my view, it has done the sport an incredible disservice in NSW.”

Australian Sailing had failed to follow his advice and apply for various grants and had then turned on him in the media, Ayres wrote.

“I play politics as hard as the best of them but I’ve seen more professionalism at the Cambridge Park under 8s Rugby League team,” he wrote. “As you can see I’m quite frustrated with their behaviour and lack [of] willingness to follow any advice we provided them.”

Australian Sailing said it had no comment other than to note that it enjoyed a strong relationship with the NSW government.

In the face of Jones’s interest, Ayres said he would “talk to Matt Allen [president of Australian Sailing, who retired recently] about the steps they should take to repair the situation and be better placed to secure funding for their facilities and events.

“I’ll keep you informed of how I go with Matt. Regards, Stuart.”

“Thanks for the blunt reply,” Jones wrote back. “That’s why you are a very good minister. And you are on top of things. Keep me informed. I won’t say anything to Matt Allen until I hear back from you. Is everything okay in the electorate? Yell out if I can help. Kindest regards. With best wishes, Alan.”

Any news yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just 4 TP52's

3 boats in IRC/AMS

I wonder what it is about the rating series that makes everyone decide to go for the cruising instead? can't be the extra $70 entry fee. Perhaps just the 4 v 7 race series?

There are many S2H, M2H, ORCV winter series competitors just doing the cruising.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to SA, I’ve now met and spoken with a few persons that have had similar , nay, much worse, experiences to mine, and it’s fucking fantastic to hear I did nothing wrong and the problem, or the common denominator are Royal Qld Yacht Squadron and Australian Sailing.

The stupidity of the situation is best summed up by this;

In all cases to date, the abused party was open and willing to assist by investing time and effort in resolving whatever procedural issues or abuses occurred. 
In other words, working towards the betterment of the sport. 
In my world, those offers are fundamental to attraction and growth of the sport. In multiple ways.

Yet those we entrust with the caretaker responsibility, for whatever reason, respond negatively, either going so far as to work actively to ensure such willingness is derided and scorned., or as a minimum to ignore the systemic abuses.

So , I’ve realised now you can’t help people that don’t want help . If Australian Sailing and RQYS have it running so well they can ignore grassroots engagement , the worst outcome for the sport would be for members to take their bat and ball and go and play elsewhere .

And that co-incidentally  is a fantastic outcome for the member. Why the fuck should members be the whipping boy for their failings?

So now, I’m happy. The irony of leaving them with their poisoned position holders and unethical behaviour is they’ll continue to fuck people over and cause the sport, and themselves, enormous damage.  


RQYs and Australian Sailing have allowed personal fiefdoms to corrupt the sport. Shooting whistleblowers  is a sign they proactively discourage engagement and growth, the complete opposite of their reason for existence.

Thats the dying throes of integrity and  sportsmanship. They’re welcome to their delusions and self congratulatory pats on the back  of a job well done, I’ll  quietly cross the street and keep a wide berth, smiling and excited to be going sailing again. 
Dirty laundry doesn’t clean itself, eventually the soiled clothes become visible for all to see. 
My parting message? Do your own laundry from now on. Another willing and enthusiastic scullery boy  has left the basement and it feels fantastic.
 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 10:32 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Just 4 TP52's

3 boats in IRC/AMS

I wonder what it is about the rating series that makes everyone decide to go for the cruising instead? can't be the extra $70 entry fee. Perhaps just the 4 v 7 race series?

There are many S2H, M2H, ORCV winter series competitors just doing the cruising.  

 

I believe Ichi Bum is going straight to Adelaide and giving Geelong a miss so only 3 TP52s

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that don't understand ....the Geelong Festival of Sail is a drinking event, interrupted by some social sailing....which explains the entries and divisions. The organisers like to dress it up as otherwise, but the entries (and bar takings) tell the story! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why dont people realise that geelong is as unrealistic as the rest of the aussie  52 's in the real world except that they cant even keep up with the real wealthy who replace their boats annually on the euro circuit and serve their off casts to aus

Geelong  gouge the local owners and crews and they do nothing but pander to the unrealistic nsw 1% of 'ocean racers' who couldnt give.a fuck about  the rest of the world, and who then ruin the experience for everyone else.

Go back to the real corinthian fun race events and stop bull shit wank pro race week formats which no one wants clearly judging by emtries and get a grip.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Shooting whistleblowers  is a sign they proactively discourage engagement and growth, the complete opposite of their reason for existence.

Shaggy it is far fucking worse than that.

To be a "whistleblower" firstly requires public disclosure of their existence, secondly issues put to a impartial arbitrator and finally their findings made public.

Get rid of all the above and it's only a "disrupter" who has been shot, not a "whistleblower."

I'm sure you are not the first and won't be the last in their sights.

I believe in Karma, though at times a lady that shows up late and often from an unexpected direction. 

Stay safe.

1037740.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Couta said:

For those that don't understand ....the Geelong Festival of Sail is a drinking event, interrupted by some social sailing....which explains the entries and divisions. The organisers like to dress it up as otherwise, but the entries (and bar takings) tell the story! 

Like Airlie beach RW - very few millionaires paying pros to help buy them trophies. Possibly why these events are so popular. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, huwp said:

Why dont people realise that geelong is as unrealistic as the rest of the aussie  52 's in the real world except that they cant even keep up with the real wealthy who replace their boats annually on the euro circuit and serve their off casts to aus

Geelong  gouge the local owners and crews and they do nothing but pander to the unrealistic nsw 1% of 'ocean racers' who couldnt give.a fuck about  the rest of the world, and who then ruin the experience for everyone else.

Go back to the real corinthian fun race events and stop bull shit wank pro race week formats which no one wants clearly judging by emtries and get a grip.

Or come to ABRW and have some fun. We had 10+ 40 footers crossing tacks all day in our div this year. Great racing on the water, great fun on the beach and no one gives a fuck about the results.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Ichi Ban is not the entry list for Festival of Sails. 

Ambition (now Celestial so assume won't be there) Frantic, Secret Men's Business, Zen & Quest are the TPs entered.

Hughie H is delivering Ichi Ban direct to Adelaide from Hobart and she will sit there until Ad - Lincoln and Lincoln Race Week. Ichi did not want to do the Passage Race, just the TP 52 Class Racing stuff in G-Town. (Not sure why because IB is not a true TP 52 anyway with her taller rig and deeper keel) Apparently the Regatta organisers wouldn't accept an entry on that basis so she is a non starter. 

Looking at the entry lists with a bit over a week to go to the regatta and official entries closing today, this regatta continues its downward spiral from once dizzy heights of participation. Many years of food, beverage and accommodation price gouging is taking its inevitable toll.

Those who go will still have fun but the burning questions are, of course, will Bundy & Coke top $10 a can and what vigorous new strain of STIs will be served up at Lambies this year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 10:06 AM, LB 15 said:

Or come to ABRW and have some fun. We had 10+ 40 footers crossing tacks all day in our div this year. Great racing on the water, great fun on the beach and no one gives a fuck about the results.

Many of our crew at ABRW hadn't done much racing before the event.  They were pleasantly chuffed ( both English....) when we managed to win a race as it was their first.  Only had 1 'strayan on the boat. 

We called him "Token"

Good fun

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, wal' said:

Many of our crew at ABRW hadn't done much racing before the event.  They were pleasantly chuffed ( both English....) when we managed to win a race as it was their first.  Only had 1 'strayan on the boat. 

We called him "Token"

Good fun

 

It was mate and I look forward to catching up again this year. But what are these 'results' you refer too...?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh didn't I tell you we won a race?  Well... we won a race.  Apparently this is a 'good thing'

Apparently.....

 

But really it's a great regatta.  Always nice to go somewhere a bit warmer than here in August.  I'd spent so much time on preparation for it ( I bought some new shoes ) that the first day out I had no idea where we were  "...... are we in the Whitsundays?...really?     ..oh....... nice....."    Blissful ignorance

I'd do it again in a flash  (and not care about the 'results')

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to encourage participation, AS!

Rule 46 of the Racing Rules of Sailing currently has a prescription that after three races, all crew of any race shall be a club member; and that Australian Sailing was reviewing the requirement.

From 1 January 2021 the Australian Sailing prescription to the rule will be amended to require that all crew of any race are members of an affiliated club; and also registered with Australian Sailing- regardless of the number of races they have competed in.

 

So no, you can't take a mate for a ride in a race to give him some experience.  You can't take the kids' friends from school along for a ride in a local dinghy club race to give them a thrill.



 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is designed purely so that people have to buy ‘day memberships’. AS then trot of to the government with the begging bowl out claiming they have grown participation in the sport by 40%. This bullshit was in the annual report linked up thread. Who the fuck is going to police this- the clubs?  Are they going to refuse to accept a boats entry because one of their crew hasn’t paid his $25? Will the skipper who races without crew having paid face a rule 69 report? Anything is possible in the this whacky new world of sailing administration. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a RRS 69.

Goes to the heart of administration of the sport.

Local clubs can even have their own hearings.

No, wait that has not worked out so well, in Queensland at least!

And besides in Queensland you only need the allegation of RRS 69 breach so you have a hearing on the allegation you introduced someone new to the sport.

YCMTSU

Link to post
Share on other sites

And a best part is that you join the club and now can't sail until the club has registered you with AS.

About time AS ditches the club and goes with direct capitation from individuals

Just sign up on the AS app and go sailing.

Quick clean and done on your phone.

Have a pass on the phone like the airport check in.

Wave it at some reader as you pass and go sailing.

Not sure anyone at AS would be smart enough to model the economics

Bet you AS would be better off save that a few people in club services might need to find another job.

All clubs of whatever type are dying save for a few small very focused specialist clubs which are thriving and very very large clubs usually through gambling.

Time for AS to ditch them too and engage directly with individuals.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lydia said:

And again on the YCMTSU page today.

My local club has just mandated Cat 5 safety compliance for Etchells.

 

Are you going with an outboard or in board diesel?

3.24.3 Inboard engine to SR 3.24.1, OR outboard engine with tanks, fuel supply; all securely fastened

Only benefit of Cat 5 is that now they can send you "prudently" into Storm Bay with a forecast of 40 knots.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lydia said:

Time for AS to ditch them too and engage directly with individuals.

Hey Lydia...the last thing AS wants is to engage with individuals...they can be cantankerous and demand value. Better for them to deal with another level of bureaucracy and avoid accountability!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lydia said:

And a best part is that you join the club and now can't sail until the club has registered you with AS.

About time AS ditches the club and goes with direct capitation from individuals

Just sign up on the AS app and go sailing.

Quick clean and done on your phone.

Have a pass on the phone like the airport check in.

Wave it at some reader as you pass and go sailing.

Not sure anyone at AS would be smart enough to model the economics

Bet you AS would be better off save that a few people in club services might need to find another job.

All clubs of whatever type are dying save for a few small very focused specialist clubs which are thriving and very very large clubs usually through gambling.

Time for AS to ditch them too and engage directly with individuals.

 

 

 

JEEEEEESUS.

You mean like this...

https://www.sailing.org.au/nsw/crewclub/

 

About Crew Club

Crew Club membership allows you to gain compliance with Rule 46 and provides Personal Accident insurance cover. Australian Sailing does not advocate membership of Crew Club and prefers you to join and support your local sailing club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Couta said:

Hey Lydia...the last thing AS wants is to engage with individuals...they can be cantankerous and demand value. Better for them to deal with another level of bureaucracy and avoid accountability!

Simply reality is that if they don’t they will not survive as someone will come along who does

in modern speak a disruptor

more profitable as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping someone else would start this discussion (pure cowardliness on my part), but I was incredibly disappointed by the speech of the former president of AS reported on the front page of Sailing Anarchy. All about the Olympics, America's Cup and TV reporting of the Olympics. Not a mention of club level sailing. It's like we don't exist. Just a nuisance appendage to sailing; who unfortunately happen to be the overwhelming majority of their members.

 

And if what you guys say about the amendment to RRS46 is correct, really? Haven't they ever been inside a moderately sized yacht club (one without the 'R' prefix) on a race day. How do you think you get new people into sailing except by volunteering to invite into your crew for the day randoms who turn up at the club wanting to find out what sailing is all about. Are they really that divorced from reality? How do we clean out these guys and start again?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

JEEEEEESUS.

You mean like this...

https://www.sailing.org.au/nsw/crewclub/

 

About Crew Club

Crew Club membership allows you to gain compliance with Rule 46 and provides Personal Accident insurance cover. Australian Sailing does not advocate membership of Crew Club and prefers you to join and support your local sailing club.

They are getting rid of Crew Club.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

JEEEEEESUS.

You mean like this...

https://www.sailing.org.au/nsw/crewclub/

 

About Crew Club

Crew Club membership allows you to gain compliance with Rule 46 and provides Personal Accident insurance cover. Australian Sailing does not advocate membership of Crew Club and prefers you to join and support your local sailing club.

I can see now why you are so upset cupcake. Never fear you will find another. NTTIAWWT.

“Crew Club closing in Logan Circle”

“The Crew Club, which has operated as a gym, sauna and bathhouse for gay men in the nation’s capital for 25 years, will close its doors for good at its Logan Circle area location on February 29, according to its founder and co-owner DC Allen.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rambler said:

I was hoping someone else would start this discussion (pure cowardliness on my part), but I was incredibly disappointed by the speech of the former president of AS reported on the front page of Sailing Anarchy. All about the Olympics, America's Cup and TV reporting of the Olympics. Not a mention of club level sailing. It's like we don't exist. Just a nuisance appendage to sailing; who unfortunately happen to be the overwhelming majority of their members.

 

And if what you guys say about the amendment to RRS46 is correct, really? Haven't they ever been inside a moderately sized yacht club (one without the 'R' prefix) on a race day. How do you think you get new people into sailing except by volunteering to invite into your crew for the day randoms who turn up at the club wanting to find out what sailing is all about. Are they really that divorced from reality? How do we clean out these guys and start again?

A certain club in Queensland brought in a 'Day membership' some time back to get around licencing laws, inflate their true membership numbers and to rip off their members who have to pay it. Yes that means that any grub can walk in, slap their money down and enjoy the run of the place - just like those that pay $1000 a year to be a member and spend 10 x that each year on mooring fees, race entries and bar sales. Those dining in the restaurant get it free. They also charge $25 for back packers to be put on members boats for a beer can race. Yes that is right they charge what is essentially a charter fee to put them on a boat to go sailing on a boat that does not have a commercial skipper nor is commercial survey. and if anything goes wrong it will be the poor skippers who fronts to court. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

They also charge $25 for back packers to be put on members boats for a beer can race. Yes that is right they charge what is essentially a charter fee to put them on a boat to go sailing on a boat that does not have a commercial skipper nor is commercial survey. and if anything goes wrong it will be the poor skippers who fronts to court. 

Why would any skipper take the assignment of some random crewperson? Have to be truly desperate.

All good info though - next time I'm up there maybe I'll buy a day membership just to (ab)use the facilities...

FKT

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is to stop members ( owners ) sailing with non member crew and taking the DSQ at the end of each race.

If the rule is that odious that club members don't want to conform, then don't.

Its all about having fun.

I'm sure one of the non conformists can rustle up a pickle dish for the winner.

The club can shove its silverware.

Time to take affirmative action ( Maybe ask Greta for pointers )

 

Asking for a friend.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fuck up. It will be the death of Wednesday afternoon style racing (club yacht racing is all but dead up here anyway). You don't have to be a member of a golf club to play a round of golf, you don't have to be a member of a cycling club to go on a social fun race - and you don't have to be a member of a triathlon club to compete in a triathlon. You don't have to me a member of a bowls, tennis or fishing club to compete in most competitions. Australian Sailing has run its course. It is time for a new model to administer our sport. One run by the sailors, not self interested clubs, over paid pen pushers and giant egos. The new organisation needs to truly represent the best interest of its members not just itself and its sponsors and must afford its members true procedural fairness when dealing with them. You can see why the commercial sailing school industry told YA to shove it where the sun don't shine back in 2014 and went with the RYA. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

What is to stop members ( owners ) sailing with non member crew and taking the DSQ at the end of each race.

If the rule is that odious that club members don't want to conform, then don't.

Its all about having fun.

I'm sure one of the non conformists can rustle up a pickle dish for the winner.

The club can shove its silverware.

Time to take affirmative action ( Maybe ask Greta for pointers )

 

Asking for a friend.

Gosh your 'Tribe' won't like that attitude Acheingpussy. You might find yourself on the outer, socially shunned, and you might loose your job, have to sell your boat and start driving an Uber. You might even get accused of being in breach of rule 69.

I advise you to keep your head down or at least keep wearing that gay helmet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Gosh your 'Tribe' won't like that attitude Acheingpussy. You might find yourself on the outer, socially shunned, and you might loose your job, have to sell your boat and start driving an Uber. You might even get accused of being in breach of rule 69.

I advise you to keep your head down or at least keep wearing that gay helmet.

Oh dear,

Still BUTTHURT I see.

Hows the apology  to the volunteers going?

Not sure why you are so twisted about club activities when you aren't a member.

Or is it that spiteful abusive streak surfacing again?

BWAHAHAHA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

What a fuck up. It will be the death of Wednesday afternoon style racing (club yacht racing is all but dead up here anyway). You don't have to be a member of a golf club to play a round of golf, you don't have to be a member of a cycling club to go on a social fun race - and you don't have to be a member of a triathlon club to compete in a triathlon. You don't have to me a member of a bowls, tennis or fishing club to compete in most competitions. Australian Sailing has run its course. It is time for a new model to administer our sport. One run by the sailors, not self interested clubs, over paid pen pushers and giant egos. The new organisation needs to truly represent the best interest of its members not just itself and its sponsors and must afford its members true procedural fairness when dealing with them. You can see why the commercial sailing school industry told YA to shove it where the sun don't shine back in 2014 and went with the RYA. 

https://sicyc.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28&Itemid=101

FKT

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Oh dear,

Still BUTTHURT I see.

Hows the apology  to the volunteers going?

Not sure why you are so twisted about club activities when you aren't a member.

Or is it that spiteful abusive streak surfacing again?

BWAHAHAHA.

Yes that pretty much covers everything I was expecting. Now run along and cry to the mods again fruitcakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 3:38 PM, duncan (the other one) said:

Way to encourage participation, AS!

Rule 46 of the Racing Rules of Sailing currently has a prescription that after three races, all crew of any race shall be a club member; and that Australian Sailing was reviewing the requirement.

From 1 January 2021 the Australian Sailing prescription to the rule will be amended to require that all crew of any race are members of an affiliated club; and also registered with Australian Sailing- regardless of the number of races they have competed in.

 

So no, you can't take a mate for a ride in a race to give him some experience.  You can't take the kids' friends from school along for a ride in a local dinghy club race to give them a thrill.



 

What a pack of moronic money grabbing grubs. 

So when my nephew is visiting from Switzerland and comes along on a Friday night Twilight and asks what to bring I have to say a 6 pack and join a yacht club and pay $25 for a bunch of idiots so they can pretend to be boosting participation in the sport and he wonders why he has to join a yacht club and pay $25 for an hours cruise around the harbour.

How are they going to police it anyway, guess twilight racing will become organised twilight cruises

Link to post
Share on other sites

What?  Australian Sailing want to charge $25 when I invite a friend to come for a sail on MY boat?  They can get fucked.  They are just guaranteeing their own salaries.

I say again, they can get fucked!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian Sailing at thier best late last week

so Noosa river sailing club is very successful small boat and trailer sailer club

it is not affiliated as Aust sailing offer them nothing for the money

some members enter the annual Surf to city race hosted by the Qld Cruising Yacht Club and which is big deal for the trailer boats

as I understand things the response from AS was to threaten QCYC for accepting an entry from NRSC

would be better to offer some services that might cause NRSC to want to affiliate

QCYC solves problem by offering memberships on eve of race

but this not a long term solution really is it as it is just demanding money with menaces really and everyone calls bullshit

On my quick look at the various websites only about one third of sporting organisations that call themselves sailing clubs actually affiliate with Australian Sailing now in Queensland

I suppose that  you have exort as much as you can out the third which are left 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 3:38 PM, duncan (the other one) said:

Way to encourage participation, AS!

Rule 46 of the Racing Rules of Sailing currently has a prescription that after three races, all crew of any race shall be a club member; and that Australian Sailing was reviewing the requirement.

From 1 January 2021 the Australian Sailing prescription to the rule will be amended to require that all crew of any race are members of an affiliated club; and also registered with Australian Sailing- regardless of the number of races they have competed in.

 

So no, you can't take a mate for a ride in a race to give him some experience.  You can't take the kids' friends from school along for a ride in a local dinghy club race to give them a thrill.



 

So next year when I want to take my six year old on a twilight race to introduce her to the sport I love... she’ll need to be a club member?

 

And when I travel to other Freo and SA members kindly offer to take myself and the missus for an afternoon race on the river (where is Poodle?) then my wife also has to have club membership?

 

That’s officially fucked.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t wait for the flag officers to be walking up and down the docks with a eftpos machine collecting the money

guess I will be getting a few rrs 69 hearings for knowing and wilful breach of rrs 46 every time I take my family members sailing on Wednesday afternoon fun race

What a great sport we now have

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lydia said:

I can’t wait for the flag officers to be walking up and down the docks with a eftpos machine collecting the money

guess I will be getting a few rrs 69 hearings for knowing and wilful breach of rrs 46 every time I take my family members sailing on Wednesday afternoon fun race

What a great sport we now have

Either agitate to get the club to tell AS to FOAD or change clubs to one that refuses to play this stupid game.

As per usual if enough people simply decline to comply the whole thing will get quietly dropped and go away. Or you all can be good little sheep.....

FKT

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it should like Uber

length of race dictates the race fee for each person sailing 

All charged through your phone

clubs could even quote against each other

But some flag officers of clubs are more experienced than others with Uber I understand

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lydia said:

 

But some flag officers of clubs are more experienced than others with Uber I understand

 

OK....

Pitchfork..... check

Tar................check

Feathers.......check

WTF has UBER got to do with anything.

We  really want to pile on with yet another one of your slimey little smear campaigns.

But.....

Stop talking in riddles.

Man up.

More information required.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

So next year when I want to take my six year old on a twilight race to introduce her to the sport I love... she’ll need to be a club member?

 

And when I travel to other Freo and SA members kindly offer to take myself and the missus for an afternoon race on the river (where is Poodle?) then my wife also has to have club membership?

 

That’s officially fucked.

My club sells quite a few day passes every twilight. Three of my former crew used day passes and then became members. Two joined their families and their kids became important members of our junior team. There is no way they would have joined any sailing club if they didn't get a chance to try racing on the day pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are all making this too hard - you just need to ensure your clubs have liberal family membership policies.

Somedays I sail with my son

Other days I sail with my female partner

Nice sundays I sail with my boyfriend Steve

Wednesdays, my girlfriends Carol and Georgie come along. Sometimes Georgie brings my stepson Pete.

No one seems to want to ask about my domestic tranquility.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, 

So my insurance company (Nautilus) is more than doubling my insurance premium rate this year. I've had good experiences with Nautilus in the past so I asked them why my rate was doubling. Nautilus said that they have lost their relationship with Australian Sailing which apparently subsidized their insurance policies in the past making them cheap for the quality.

I wrote Australian Sailing and they confirmed what Nautilus said, but didn't say anything about what new insurance company they may be switching to. Does anybody have insider knowledge on what insurance company(s) have relations with AS? If not, can anybody recommend an insurance company for off the beach classes which they've had good experiences with in the past? 

Thanks in advance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting as I just got a quote from Nautilus for a new policy and it was over 3 times the price I got cover for with another insurer.

I just figured it was type of boat and age that made the policy so high so that was fine as it is their assessment of risk.