• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what's wrong with an Opti kid being awarded the Rolex Male athlete of the Year?  Here's what  Shirley Robertson had to say: "Marco is undoubtedly a great talent, and I'm sure in time we will s

It's strange where one can gain motivation, sometimes in the unlikeliest of places. Mrs Octopus, stumbled a bit and has misrepresented the facts. Curious by comparison just appears to be  misinformed,

That's an awesome set of rose-coloured glasses you've got on! Yes, I prefer the discourse be public as other anarchists are interested also in the discussion.  You must be puzzled by the disconne

Posted Images

The truly amazing thing about this post about sail is that it will maybe November before a boat to which it applies actually starts a race.

At least we have plenty of time to prepare.

Here is idea that will actually help.

How about AS waives 1/2 of all club dues as the clubs will not be offering services to their members for at least 1/2 year.

Why should I pay the roughly $350 through club fees to AS when I can't go sailing and buying an IRC ct is of no utility.

Commercial tenants I deal with are seeking rent abatement.

3 minutes ago, lydia said:

Here is idea that will actually help.

How about AS waives 1/2 of all club dues as the clubs will not be offering services to their members for at least 1/2 year.

Why should I pay the roughly $350 through club fees to AS when I can't go sailing and buying an IRC ct is of no utility.

Commercial tenants I deal with are seeking rent abatement.

lydia, what you are suggesting is sensible, appropriate helpful to all AS members.

HOW DARE YOU!

Will never happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grs said:

Hi All,

You also should be aware of changes ahead to the rules about sail numbers. Info is at https://www.sailingresources.org.au/news/changes-to-sal-number-rules/. Not really a problem on off the beach boats, but a few in the big boat community will need to change numbers on sails.

Regards

The new CEO Ben Houston seems to have abdicated control over his staff.  I say this with no malice, the more you post Grs the more you further re-enforce the perception Australian Sailing are rudderless and viewed to be arrogant and out of touch.

It's a shame I went to all the trouble of engaging CAS to mediate and assist you with your issues. Otherwise you could sit back and bitch about how members just moan and don't ever get off their backside and try and help fix issues. But I know you wouldn't do that, that would be two-faced. 

But when you openly admit there are fundamental issues with the rules or Australian Sailings implementation of such, and then you refuse CAS' mediation to try and help?  That's pretty telling.

It does however explain the arrogance you are attempting to infer by your post.    

2 hours ago, grs said:

Hi All,

You also should be aware of changes ahead to the rules about sail numbers. Info is at https://www.sailingresources.org.au/news/changes-to-sal-number-rules/. Not really a problem on off the beach boats, but a few in the big boat community will need to change numbers on sails.

Regards

Sail number? I don't even bother having a registration number.

FKT

2 hours ago, grs said:

Hi All,

Regards

So an organisation funded by taxpayer funds and private membership dues tacitly approves of one of it’s employees openly treating the members of the organisation with mocking contempt on a social media forum frequented by many of those members.

Interesting PR strategy.

• Like 3

Love the leadership from the CYCA

seriously this is clever 

If I have this right you pay your annual subscription but 1/2 of it for each month the club is closed is credited to your house account to be spent when the club reopens

winners all round

prue gold

Our house account credits expire after 6 months (not that I am ever in credit for long). I'm assuming the CYCA is similar and this would need to change to start with.

I think a lot of people would rather have the cash in hand at the moment.

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Love the leadership from the CYCA

seriously this is clever 

If I have this right you pay your annual subscription but 1/2 of it for each month the club is closed is credited to your house account to be spent when the club reopens

winners all round

prue gold

And we're selling off the booze inventory to members. I’m cherishing my CYCA membership this month. It’s clear, decisive and timely action by the board.

16 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

How does your house account have credit??? 

We get pre-charged $200 each half year to be used across the bar and such to stimulate people coming into the club house rather than treating it like a marina.

• Like 2

This just in from the President to Clubs ... its actually very fair, very transparent and very welcomed by our little community club...

36ed62e8-cfeb-4372-a2f1-e0e7fa60b7f0.jpg

Guidance on 2020/21 Australian Sailing Club Affiliation fees

The speed with which the COVID-19 crisis has hit the community is unprecedented. We recognise the impact it is having on sailing clubs is also substantial - whether it is the cancellation of regular club racing, regattas, training courses or off water activities.

We also acknowledge that many sailing clubs around the country are going to face significant financial and operational challenges in the coming months. It is our goal to support and guide clubs at this time to ensure long-term sustainability and to ensure you are in a position to re-engage your local sailing community on the other side of this crisis. This has a real, human impact and our thoughts are with the many families that have been affected.

In the normal course of business, this is the time of year when Australian Sailing (AS) sets affiliation fees for the upcoming financial year and communicates this to clubs. This is obviously not an ordinary year.

Australian Sailing has taken (and will need to make) a number of tough decisions to substantially reduce our cost base in an effort to limit the financial impact of this crisis over the next twelve months. This includes cancelling a number of courses & events, restricting travel and accessing our cash reserves.

We recognise that many clubs are facing significant and similar challenges, both now and in the months ahead. We are in dialogue with the Federal and State government agencies, advocating for the need to support community sporting clubs through this challenging period.

We understand that membership underpins clubs - from a financial as well as participation and social perspective. Similarly, affiliation fees from clubs also underpin Australian Sailing.

In recognition of the challenges ahead and to ensure we are able to provide cashflow support to clubs, Australian Sailing has made the following decisions with respect to club affiliation fees for the upcoming year:
  • Club Fees for 2020-21 will not be set until we have more clarity on the financial impact on both clubs and Australian Sailing
  • Club Fees for 2020-21 will not be set before the end of September 2020
  • Invoicing of fees will therefore be deferred 6 months until after 1st January 2021
  • Payment plans will be available for the January - June 2021 period
The fee review mechanism remains in place for clubs suffering financial hardship. However, given the advice provided above and that it is 8 months until any new fees are due, we will be temporarily pausing access to the financial hardship mechanism until after 1st January 2020.

For clubs that still have current fees outstanding (2019/ 2020), you are encouraged to contact the finance team to discuss payment plans. Please email Brian Chalmers at brian.chalmers@sailing.org.au.

These are testing times and we are determined to support clubs so that they can emerge from this crisis on their feet and return to more normal operations. We have provided guidance to clubs on Coronavirus and this will continue to be updated on our website. If you wish to discuss this letter or need further assistance, I encourage you to contact your Regional Manager in the first instance.

Sincerely,
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, KC375 said:

Why the Neutron bomb when you have c-19 all the pros of a neutron bomb, casualties with no structural damage and you can point the finger at the crowds on bondi

Well, I don’t have confidence in the efficacy of a mere virus when applied to such vermin as seem to infest your NA.  Secondary effect is it would sanitize the place. 

• Like 1
On 3/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, greasy al said:

So an organisation funded by taxpayer funds and private membership dues tacitly approves of one of it’s employees openly treating the members of the organisation with mocking contempt on a social media forum frequented by many of those members.

Interesting PR strategy.

greasy al, 

I think that you left out a very important word in what you said “Bullying”. The said employee regularly comes across as very forceful and if you disagree with him he uses his job role to bully his way into getting what he wants. Like most bullies he goes and bullies behind closed doors and not in public so as to look like he is doing a fair investigation and treating the members fairly.

Its very sad I think. 

Pulpit

On 3/27/2020 at 5:44 PM, Stanno said:

This just in from the President to Clubs ... its actually very fair, very transparent and very welcomed by our little community club...

The speed with which the COVID-19 crisis has hit the community is unprecedented. We recognise the impact it is having on sailing clubs is also substantial - whether it is the cancellation of regular club racing, regattas, training courses or off water activities.

We also acknowledge that many sailing clubs around the country are going to face significant financial and operational challenges in the coming months. It is our goal to support and guide clubs at this time to ensure long-term sustainability and to ensure you are in a position to re-engage your local sailing community on the other side of this crisis. This has a real, human impact and our thoughts are with the many families that have been affected.

In the normal course of business, this is the time of year when Australian Sailing (AS) sets affiliation fees for the upcoming financial year and communicates this to clubs. This is obviously not an ordinary year.

Australian Sailing has taken (and will need to make) a number of tough decisions to substantially reduce our cost base in an effort to limit the financial impact of this crisis over the next twelve months. This includes cancelling a number of courses & events, restricting travel and accessing our cash reserves.

We recognise that many clubs are facing significant and similar challenges, both now and in the months ahead. We are in dialogue with the Federal and State government agencies, advocating for the need to support community sporting clubs through this challenging period.

We understand that membership underpins clubs - from a financial as well as participation and social perspective. Similarly, affiliation fees from clubs also underpin Australian Sailing.

In recognition of the challenges ahead and to ensure we are able to provide cashflow support to clubs, Australian Sailing has made the following decisions with respect to club affiliation fees for the upcoming year:
  • Club Fees for 2020-21 will not be set until we have more clarity on the financial impact on both clubs and Australian Sailing
  • Club Fees for 2020-21 will not be set before the end of September 2020
  • Invoicing of fees will therefore be deferred 6 months until after 1st January 2021
  • Payment plans will be available for the January - June 2021 period
The fee review mechanism remains in place for clubs suffering financial hardship. However, given the advice provided above and that it is 8 months until any new fees are due, we will be temporarily pausing access to the financial hardship mechanism until after 1st January 2020.

For clubs that still have current fees outstanding (2019/ 2020), you are encouraged to contact the finance team to discuss payment plans. Please email Brian Chalmers at brian.chalmers@sailing.org.au.

These are testing times and we are determined to support clubs so that they can emerge from this crisis on their feet and return to more normal operations. We have provided guidance to clubs on Coronavirus and this will continue to be updated on our website. If you wish to discuss this letter or need further assistance, I encourage you to contact your Regional Manager in the first instance.

Sincerely,

Of course you could just choose to no longer be affiliated with a peak body that is more interested in itself than its clubs

2 hours ago, Factor said:

Of course you could just choose to no longer be affiliated with a peak body that is more interested in itself than its clubs

Well we could, but we prefer to work by bending the AS world to our aims and goals as a club ... and letting the rest wash over and around us .... plus we have a pretty fantastic State club officer who works pretty hard down out our level ...as do the HP crew who do the best with what little they have.....

On 27 March 2020 at 10:07 AM, grs said:

Hi All,

Regards

AS addressing that MASSIVE problem of lack of visibility of sail numbers? Do I smell smoke and hear the sound of a fiddle playing?

• Like 1
On 3/27/2020 at 6:44 PM, Stanno said:

A week before that one Stanno, we also published this.
https://www.sailing.org.au/news/support-for-australian-sailing-affiliated-clubs/
The article is a compilation of government assistance for clubs that was available at the time of publishing.

Latest on Mr Stanaway's Facebook page, noting that he didn't post it here:

https://www.sailingresources.org.au/news/decision-to-race/

AS spitting in the face of members again.

Check out the comments on FB, free for all, don't have to be a friend. Then maybe read an earlier post on the Sail Numbers change where a senior employee of a Royal yacht club in Tasmania refers to, "tight-arse" boat owners. Those would be the owners that pay his wages. Complete arrogance. Any coincidence that he was the RO who made the call to start the race in the conditions.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

Latest on Mr Stanaway's Facebook page, noting that he didn't post it here:

https://www.sailingresources.org.au/news/decision-to-race/

AS spitting in the face of members again.

Check out the comments on FB, free for all, don't have to be a friend. Then maybe read an earlier post on the Sail Numbers change where a senior employee of a Royal yacht club in Tasmania refers to, "tight-arse" boat owners. Those would be the owners that pay his wages. Complete arrogance. Any coincidence that he was the RO who made the call to start the race in the conditions.

I'm okay for you all to read and comment on my FB page, the free for all there isn't too different to what one experiences here.

With regards to not posting it here... I had already posted today linking to AS information about government assistance for clubs, and am inclined to let one thing settle before putting up more.

That said, we get criticised not doing stuff of value to stakeholders, I get criticised when putting up links to stuff up that shows what we do of value to stakeholders, I get called out and criticised for not replying, I get criticised when I do reply... I get criticised when I suggest that people just give me a call so we can discuss it (and the two of you from this thread who have called me, and one regularly, I do appreciate that), and now I note that I get criticised when I don't put up a link to an article that no-one here was particularly asking about just now...

This is very confusing.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:29 PM, Jason AUS said:

And we're selling off the booze inventory to members. I’m cherishing my CYCA membership this month. It’s clear, decisive and timely action by the board.

Winning!

BCB69FF0-E376-455A-98DA-475D47D5986E.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, grs said:

I'm okay for you all to read and comment on my FB page, the free for all there isn't too different to what one experiences here.

With regards to not posting it here... I had already posted today linking to AS information about government assistance for clubs, and am inclined to let one thing settle before putting up more.

That said, we get criticised not doing stuff of value to stakeholders, I get criticised when putting up links to stuff up that shows what we do of value to stakeholders, I get called out and criticised for not replying, I get criticised when I do reply... I get criticised when I suggest that people just give me a call so we can discuss it (and the two of you from this thread who have called me, and one regularly, I do appreciate that), and now I note that I get criticised when I don't put up a link to an article that no-one here was particularly asking about just now...

This is very confusing.

So in short a lot of criticism.....

I do not know you, essentially have no skin in the game, although....

I sail a lot, am member of a Qld club, pay me fees, but....... I am not sure what AS does for me?

What exactly do I get for my contribution to AS? please explain to me?

Your opportunity to convince me of the value of AS.

From my point of view, if there is criticism, maybe there is a need for an adjustment of behaviour?

Applying the common denominator theory.

9 hours ago, grs said:

A week before that one Stanno, we also published this.
https://www.sailing.org.au/news/support-for-australian-sailing-affiliated-clubs/
The article is a compilation of government assistance for clubs that was available at the time of publishing.

Yeah that one wasn't as helpful as the one I quoted.  But keep 'em coming!

6 hours ago, DtM said:

Had they run out of Corona ?

Hat, coat ...

I’d asked for a case of Stark and Dormy and a case of Gin & Tonic. The G&T’s were all gone... what does that say about the demographic of the membership?

9 hours ago, grs said:

This is very confusing.

Here is a little thought experiment.

Imagine that instead of this being about Sail Australia, it was about a company on whose board you sat or you had a controlling ownership position in.

Now imagine that a senior executive of your company just wrote the above poste to a forum of customers.

What action would you take next?

• Like 1

What I dont understand is why is AS and race officials so adversarial to owners? I get it AS have identified a problem that race officals are having with sail numbers. But instead of talking to owners they have clanged the rules and then inform owners after ward.  

Some of the comments by race officals show how little regard they have for owners. This is a direct consequence of Clubs being members of AS and owners/sailors being ignored. 

Owners and sailors deserve better from AS.

22 hours ago, grs said:

This is very confusing.

Glen  you sent an email out asking all Tasmanian IRC owners asking for them to enter the AYC. I replied to you that I would enter on three conditions

1 that the divisions be set before the event

2 that the courses be IRC compliant

3 that you have a PRO who is experienced in running a IRC compliant event 

and that the event should be run by the IRC event guide lines. I gave you reasons for all these conditions. none of these things were done. The event was a financial disaster for the host club and obviously had issues on the water.  I never got a reply, and now see puff peaces about how its not the OA fault. 

This is very confusing.  

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, snoopy said:

What I dont understand is why is AS and race officials so adversarial to owners? I get it AS have identified a problem that race officals are having with sail numbers. But instead of talking to owners they have clanged the rules and then inform owners after ward.  

Some of the comments by race officals show how little regard they have for owners. This is a direct consequence of Clubs being members of AS and owners/sailors being ignored. 

Nobody forces you to turn up and put up with the crap, you know.

Not in any way defending AS - if I had my way there'd be no public money going to any sporting organisation unless it was going to juniors in the say 5 years to 18 years age range and with a cap of say 20% for admin overhead.

As for the AOC - fuck them. Get the Govt to pass an act allowing a lottery with the profits going to the Olympic Games if they want money.

FKT

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Nobody forces you to turn up and put up with the crap, you know.

Not in any way defending AS - if I had my way there'd be no public money going to any sporting organisation unless it was going to juniors in the say 5 years to 18 years age range and with a cap of say 20% for admin overhead.

As for the AOC - fuck them. Get the Govt to pass an act allowing a lottery with the profits going to the Olympic Games if they want money.

FKT

agree. But I am too heavily invested to just walk away. It never used to be like this.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, snoopy said:

agree. But I am too heavily invested to just walk away. It never used to be like this.

In that case you need to get elected to a position of power in your YC. Or make sure that the person who deals with this stuff represents your interests and that the club is prepared to dis-affiliate if AS isn't representing your interests.

Without that leverage (money) you have no leverage.

Matter of interest - what is the annual capitation (member) fee paid to AS by the YC and is it optional? Reason I ask is, as a cruising person, I may well want to join a club to get access to some facilities but am certainly not interested in supporting AS with any money or having them able to count me as part of their support when they take the begging bowl to Govt.

FKT

• Like 1

I love sailing...racing, cruising, deliveries, Offshore, off the beach.....sabots to pocket maxis...I've had the pleasure and privilege of having done so all around the world at pretty much every level, in so many classes.....and.... I'm sorry to say....I'm done..over it. I'm over the overblown self importance of the administration, I'm over the parents who push their little darlings to be lympians at 10, I'm over the overprotective and over regulated (and over litigated) club scene, I'm over the dominance of "country club" membership replacing grass roots sailing.....I'm over the focus on the High tech and elite at the expense of participation and fun......I'm over it.

So I'll keep surfing and finding ever more challenging places to ride my growing collection of bikes, I'll do more multi-sport events with fun focussed like minded fairly fit people who enjoy getting "out there"...I'll continue to do ocean ski paddling, bush walking and bike packing and enjoy the FREEDOM these sports offer...'cos freedom has been sucked out of the sport I once loved. So my sailing from now on will only be with mates and only to explore places that offer the freedom I love so much...Bass Strait, Tassy, Fiji...that's where I'll be sailing....

• Like 4
1 hour ago, snoopy said:

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN  LIKE THIS.

As a catamaran sailor from the early days we were pretty much ignored ( and worse) .Changed slightly when Brian Lewis  and Warren Rock won Silver. 

Never had any time for AS and never will.

54 minutes ago, snoopy said:

Glen  you sent an email out asking all Tasmanian IRC owners asking for them to enter the AYC. I replied to you that I would enter on three conditions

1 that the divisions be set before the event

It was for this reason that I vowed never to do another IRC nationals after the one at CYCA. 

9 hours ago, snoopy said:

Snoopy, 

AS and WS have a thing about sail numbers and it’s hard to work out why. When I was the Australian measurer for the Optimist class I asked the then head of the classes Technical Committee, Jurgen if we could change the rules for sail numbers to open up the tolerances between the number. Optimist sails only ever failed measurement in the sail numbers. 

The response that I was given was it was a performance issue and it couldn’t be done. I then ask him about another issue in the class that was a performance issue and was told it wasn’t a problem. So go figure. 

The problem is common sense in AS or WS just isn’t that common and they only care about the top end of the fleets. 

To build a fleet you need to work and encorage the back 1/3 of the fleet and forget the top 1/3. AS and WS just don’t have a clue anymore and GRS and other AS employees just live in fairy land and have forgotten about the real reasons most people sail. Just look at couta who is walking away from the sport he loves because of the red tape and bad management of our sport. 

The biggest problem that we have is we could close down AS tomorrow and the next replacement governing body would end up having the same  Skumbags working for it and we would just end up in the same place with the same skumbags running the show. 

It’s very sad 

Pulpit

• Like 2
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

The biggest problem that we have is we could close down AS tomorrow

We could close down AS and sailing in Australia will continue. Club racing and ocean racing will continue as usual. Training of juniors will continue at clubs and clubs will have more money.

The elite will have to fend for themselves.   

10 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I don't see why clubs and their members should be supporting an organisation that gives nothing back to the clubs. If AS's overriding priority was to support and  encourage junior sailing, creating potential future club members, then I would support the concept of affiliation fees.

My club could do a lot more for juniors if we did not have to throw away 53k per year to a lost cause. 

• Like 2

I thought twice bankrupt was an essential criteria a for AS international judges

Dont pay your tax either

That way you can on behalf of AS exercise moral authority over those competitors that come before you who do happen to pay their tax

of course AS could actually do something but are too gutless

betting that they have few too many on the list

isn’t funny how AS never ask you declare that you are fit and proper person to be an international official and even when you renew you are not asked

Be a simple thing to do Glen

1 hour ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Gee you really are a GRUBBY LYING CUNT.

Altering quotes now  I see.

Rushing off to the mods like a winey bitch now I see.

2 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Gee you really are a GRUBBY LYING CUNT.

Altering quotes now  I see.

Nothing stings like the truth does it? Don't think you are getting your lure back without cutting him open LB.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

That's a bit rough didn't LB15 sit on the RQYS committee?

Agree, some of them are ok, but too many of them are happy to clap and cheer along as the ship goes down.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, greasy al said:

Interesting PR strategy.

Bringing the sport into disrepute Al???

On 3/30/2020 at 11:36 AM, Couta said:

I love sailing...racing, cruising, deliveries, Offshore, off the beach.....sabots to pocket maxis...I've had the pleasure and privilege of having done so all around the world at pretty much every level, in so many classes.....and.... I'm sorry to say....I'm done..over it. I'm over the overblown self importance of the administration, I'm over the parents who push their little darlings to be lympians at 10, I'm over the overprotective and over regulated (and over litigated) club scene, I'm over the dominance of "country club" membership replacing grass roots sailing.....I'm over the focus on the High tech and elite at the expense of participation and fun......I'm over it.

So I'll keep surfing and finding ever more challenging places to ride my growing collection of bikes, I'll do more multi-sport events with fun focussed like minded fairly fit people who enjoy getting "out there"...I'll continue to do ocean ski paddling, bush walking and bike packing and enjoy the FREEDOM these sports offer...'cos freedom has been sucked out of the sport I once loved. So my sailing from now on will only be with mates and only to explore places that offer the freedom I love so much...Bass Strait, Tassy, Fiji...that's where I'll be sailing....

I'm truly sorry you feel that way Couta. I know how you feel. I felt/feel the same.

Thankfully someone put me on to Blokarts and I haven't been near a yacht club since.

I still maintain my membership of a sailing club, in a different state to the one I live in (mainly to support  a great club which targets kids and learners) and I object to paying affiliation fees to AS for no service. And AS rarely represents MY interests with their public utterences.

I had hopes that the new president and vice president would remember what it WAS like back in the day.

At least AS has taken a position on Covid 19 membership payments.....

But I fear the horse has well and truly bolted.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:36 AM, Couta said:

Came to that position about a decade ago now.

rather spend my money on restoring timber shitters and cruising is southern climes than put money in a new race boat

of course I don’t need to pay to sail AS to sail these around yet

CDBD8E5A-0F55-4C8B-B842-1304E15C550B.jpeg

BDF3B9DC-A0CF-47A9-8B46-F6C8BD1B157C.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lydia said:

Of course AS nowadays do not understand that this is the competition

50405150-EEE4-4123-8287-0B318326578D.jpeg

Shut up shut up shut up.

Do you *want* the place overrun with mainlander blow-ins?

Moreton Bay is *far* better. Just ask LB 15.

FKT

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Shut up shut up shut up.

FKT

Please be sure to call back in July when we are sailing north in shorts & you are putting beer in the water to thaw it out.

Sydney scene looks fun, I mean I could put up with a lot of shit if I was sailing a TP against other TP’s. Brisbane scene is a bit boring & inbred and has more factions & stakeholders than a Labor party national convention. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Please be sure to call back in July when we are sailing north in shorts & you are putting beer in the water to thaw it out.

Why would I do that? I usually spend the winter in Sydney & Brisbane, courtesy of your respective Governments' payments to my toy fund.

This coronavirus might put a damper on that - we'll see.

Regardless I have a nice Dickinson diesel heater for my boat and it has 60mm of polystyrene insulation in the hull. Might get cold on deck but inside it's lovely & warm.

OTOH you still have Moreton Bay and its mudflats (and mosquitoes, dugongs and crocodiles) all year.

FKT

11 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Why would I do that? I usually spend the winter in Sydney & Brisbane, courtesy of your respective Governments' payments to my toy fund.

This coronavirus might put a damper on that - we'll see.

Regardless I have a nice Dickinson diesel heater for my boat and it has 60mm of polystyrene insulation in the hull. Might get cold on deck but inside it's lovely & warm.

OTOH you still have Moreton Bay and its mudflats (and mosquitoes, dugongs and crocodiles) all year.

FKT

Have you done a flammability test on that polystyrene insulation? I recall a certain vessel belonging to a financial advisor on the DSS slip a few years ago that went up in a ball of flames, though may have had something to do with welding the hull and forgetting what was behind that steel plate .......

35 minutes ago, 42 South said:

Have you done a flammability test on that polystyrene insulation? I recall a certain vessel belonging to a financial advisor on the DSS slip a few years ago that went up in a ball of flames, though may have had something to do with welding the hull and forgetting what was behind that steel plate .......

Yeah I very carefully made sure I used the house rated non-flammable stuff - 30mm thick with foil on both sides. And furthermore, I tested samples of it myself to make sure it *was* what I was paying for. There are a lot of buildings around the world where the owners wish that had been done with the aluminium composite cladding....

I know the man you're referring to - got offered the burnt out hull for some nominal price, might have been free for the taking. I passed.

There's a lot to be said for having someone with a fire extinguisher standing fire watch inside while any welding is going on, too. I have a few more bits I plan on welding to my boat, fortunately a couple of them are in the 2 areas of deck I didn't insulate (bow fwd of frame 1 and the lazarette locker area). I'll have a fire watch with decent extinguisher just in case.

FKT

2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah I very carefully made sure I used the house rated non-flammable stuff - 30mm thick with foil on both sides. And furthermore, I tested samples of it myself to make sure it *was* what I was paying for. There are a lot of buildings around the world where the owners wish that had been done with the aluminium composite cladding....

I know the man you're referring to - got offered the burnt out hull for some nominal price, might have been free for the taking. I passed.

There's a lot to be said for having someone with a fire extinguisher standing fire watch inside while any welding is going on, too. I have a few more bits I plan on welding to my boat, fortunately a couple of them are in the 2 areas of deck I didn't insulate (bow fwd of frame 1 and the lazarette locker area). I'll have a fire watch with decent extinguisher just in case.

FKT

I spent two weeks on fire watch in the anchor locker of a super yacht in Florida in my youth. I sweated out some mighty hangovers in there. 

19 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Shut up shut up shut up.

FKT

Well, you’ve closed the bloody border! So my retirement plan is fucked. The bloody tenant can probably claim Squatter’s rights....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Well, you’ve closed the bloody border! So my retirement plan is fucked. The bloody tenant can probably claim Squatter’s rights....

You can still sail in - nobody checks that. Anchor down in Recherche Bay then come up the Channel.

FKT

58 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

You can still sail in - nobody checks that. Anchor down in Recherche Bay then come up the Channel.

FKT

No, don't bring your NSW virus into my neck of the woods. Stay home. FFS FKT.

2 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

No, don't bring your NSW virus into my neck of the woods. Stay home. FFS FKT.

Get a grip. How long do you think it'll take to get from Sydney to Recherche Bay at this time of year? If you spend 2 weeks in transit without going ashore before going to Dover to resupply, you've *DONE* the quarantine period.

Honestly - this is serious shit without a doubt, but think about what the rules are actually trying to achieve.

FKT

5 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

MSQ & QPS water police are intercepting at GC. Vessels are being quarantined for two weeks / no going ashore. Boats are being parked in areas that have camera surveillance. 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

MSQ & QPS water police are intercepting at GC. Vessels are being quarantined for two weeks / no going ashore. Boats are being parked in areas that have camera surveillance. 

The border shutdown is pretty fucking stupid and pointless. It's really a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted. 

The police and other resources could be better spent elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

The border shutdown is pretty fucking stupid and pointless. It's really a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted. 

The police and other resources could be better spent elsewhere.

I dunno mate. Makes sense that we would cut off NSW as they account for close to half of all cases nationwide & haven’t handled it as well as Anna “the $100bn woman” has, but that’s another topic, for another time. 

Boats will be cheaper than ever - when are you buying? I like these two, both under 30k

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/dubois-31-competitive-racer-in-excellent-condition/246143

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/hick-30/245063

14 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

I’m waiting on Lydia to sell me his boat. I think we’d agreed on a 2022 sale. If the border isn’t open by then... :wacko:

3 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

I’m waiting on Lydia to sell me his boat. I think we’d agreed on a 2022 sale. If the border isn’t open by then... :wacko:

Frank Fritz it & bundle a couple up for a discount! 

18 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

Don't have to check, the remote cameras for the cray poaching fairly numerous down that way.

3 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Be time for a new project by then!

12 hours ago, SCANAS said:

In that case they are missing some!

12 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

The border shutdown is pretty fucking stupid and pointless. It's really a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted....

So Dark Australia with 5,500 cases and a population of 25,500,000 the horse has bolted and 25,494,500 already have it coming, it's too late you say?? 

Do you know of the ICU beds in Australia that nearly half are in NSW but having less one third the population? I wonder why those states with least number of ICU beds closed their borders to say NSW which has half the number of cases?

12 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

...The police and other resources could be better spent elsewhere.

Yes exactly. By closing the border to all but essential travel and not having large resources deployed checking now smaller numbers of the stupid or those that break law deliberately, enforcement resources are then at less risk when they are not issued with PPE. Small number then enforcing can be PPE'd up or take precautions.

This for a disease that spreads like wildfire, where you can have it and show no symptoms but still spread it. So enforcement officers catching and or spreading it from the stupid the risk is reduced and the infection spread (into a state possibly less resourced) by the stupid is also reduced.

21 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So Dark Australia with 5,500 cases and a population of 25,500,000 the horse has bolted and 25,494,500 already have it coming, it's too late you say?? 

Do you know of the ICU beds in Australia that nearly half are in NSW but having less one third the population? I wonder why those states with least number of ICU beds closed their borders to say NSW which has half the number of cases?

Yes exactly. By closing the border to all but essential travel and not having large resources deployed checking now smaller numbers of the stupid or those that break law deliberately, enforcement resources are then at less risk when they are not issued with PPE. Small number then enforcing can be PPE'd up or take precautions.

This for a disease that spreads like wildfire, where you can have it and show no symptoms but still spread it. So enforcement officers catching and or spreading it from the stupid the risk is reduced and the infection spread (into a state possibly less resourced) by the stupid is also reduced.

Instead of enforcing the border closure, the police should be clamping down on things like.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8186631/Shocking-picture-shows-hundreds-packed-popular-market-ignoring-strict-social-distancing-rules.html

26795506-8186631-A_popular_farmer_s_mark