3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

So it can be done - we sailors CAN collectively walk and create a new body to represent us. It just needs someone to organise it. It can work because I doubt that apart from a handful of acolytes you could find any end user of the sport of sailing that have anything but contempt for AS and the Taxes they collect.

Exactly the point I've been hammering on for ages.

If you don't like the organisation and you can't change it and it won't change by itself, LEAVE!

Else STFU because you're just being co-enablers.

And don't get on my case for pointing this out because the reason for my posts and your resulting hostility is - you won't change what you're doing.

They have small clubs locked in because they provide public liability insurance? And you can't find an alternate insurance at any affordable cost? Have you looked?

What @LB 15 says makes a hell of a lot of sense. A new organisation with voting membership restricted to boat owners or at minimum a veto vote for boat owners. Just make sure the articles of association are bulletproof.

FKT

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what's wrong with an Opti kid being awarded the Rolex Male athlete of the Year?  Here's what  Shirley Robertson had to say: "Marco is undoubtedly a great talent, and I'm sure in time we will s

It's strange where one can gain motivation, sometimes in the unlikeliest of places. Mrs Octopus, stumbled a bit and has misrepresented the facts. Curious by comparison just appears to be  misinformed,

That's an awesome set of rose-coloured glasses you've got on! Yes, I prefer the discourse be public as other anarchists are interested also in the discussion.  You must be puzzled by the disconne

Posted Images

It does sound like need should have two sailing bodies here. One for the "elite" olympic/international classes and a second who's focus is on the club sailors. 

But one organisation who can focus on both without resorting to detrimental policies impacting one group to inflate numbers to gain better funding for the other group, would be best. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Livia said:

So Glen, is any AS money going to enrich the life of the AS coach that got a head sentence of 13 years yesterday.

Flowers for his cell maybe.

So this one doesn’t sink without a trace... 13 years is a pretty hefty sentence?

I know we've been here before...but I thought I'd refresh my memory on the results from SA's own performance survey sent to clubs...

The latest one I found is from 2019....

The key question (8) was on the value clubs placed on the provision of services from SA.

Here's the summary of the 210 clubs that bothered to answer.....and the percentage that had a Neutral to Negative opinion of the value.

Provision of:

Participation Services. ~55%

Online Services ~42%

Competition & Regattas ~52%

Marketing & Communications ~70%

Performance Programs ~65%

Sports Policy Frameworks ~55%

Advocacy Services ~60%

So, before getting too engrossed in self congratulation, the AS should perhaps have a serious session in the room of mirrors....before employing an outplacement agency. And remember, this survey is from the clubs.....the membership would be even more scathing. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Wow, if you had an employee that got that result in a performance review you would probably sack them

Bill E,

The problem we have here in Oz is you can't sack an employee for a bad performance unless you have given them a chance to improve with some good mentoring and help.

AS is rotten to the core from the top 50% down. How can we get the mentoring that they need to improve  without starting again and without the same useless management and ego's  being employed in any new national body ?

It's time some AS employees did the right thing and handed in their resignations  over their shameless performances and behaviours of the club level sailor's they are meant to represent. 

Pulpit

4 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

So this one doesn’t sink without a trace... 13 years is a pretty hefty sentence?

Yes it is. And it's not for murder or drug trafficking....

Can someone please link to the judgment or a relevant news article.

That is not defamatory or in any way a problem

30 minutes ago, pulpit said:

AS is rotten to the core from the top 50% down. How can we get the mentoring that they need to improve  without starting again and without the same useless management and ego's  being employed in any new national body ?

It's time some AS employees did the right thing and handed in their resignations  over their shameless performances and behaviours of the club level sailor's they are meant to represent. 

Pulpit

True this !!!!!

But the problem is that AS does not think that they represent the sailors but rather the clubs.  That is the problem.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, DtM said:

True this !!!!!

But the problem is that AS does not think that they represent the sailors but rather the clubs.  That is the problem.

You guys are deluded.

Clubs are members of AS.  Change that first, then piss and moan like little bitches if they don't do what you want. 

Right now it is you that look stupid for not understanding how it works.

EDIT: So DtM, what do you do for your club?

1 hour ago, Abbo said:

Yes it is. And it's not for murder or drug trafficking....

There’s a special place in hell for people who do that....

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

There’s a special place in hell for people who do that....

Jas, I don't think hell is good enough for this pathetic excuse of a human being.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DtM said:

Can someone please link to the judgment or a relevant news article.

That is not defamatory or in any way a problem

Hasn't hit the news yet.... not really sure why?

1 hour ago, random. said:

You guys are deluded.

Clubs are members of AS.  Change that first, then piss and moan like little bitches if they don't do what you want. 

Right now it is you that look stupid for not understanding how it works.

EDIT: So DtM, what do you do for your club?

Randumb, you make another unjustified assumption.

I am not a member of any club.

Everyone understands how it works. You do not have a mortgage on that piece of the puzzle.

As usual you bluster away with nothing to contribute. No one needs your "help".

25 minutes ago, Abbo said:

Hasn't hit the news yet.... not really sure why?

In the Sunshine Coast Daily, two days ago.

Just be a bit sensitive as the story will identify the victims.

13 years is right up the range in severity.

7 minutes ago, DtM said:

I am not a member of any club.

tenor.gif

17 minutes ago, Livia said:

In the Sunshine Coast Daily, two days ago.

Just be a bit sensitive as the story will identify the victims.

13 years is right up the range in severity.

I just read the article... I feel sick...

18 minutes ago, Abbo said:

Link?

• Like 1

AS is like a body corporate. Most of the owners (club members) in the building don’t give a shit unless it affects them but they are happy to whinge about the committee (the club) and say the committee & strata (AS) only care about themselves :-) 

13 minutes ago, random. said:

Link?

Like Lydia said, the article basically identifies the victims so I won't be posting a link here sorry.

Just now, Abbo said:

Like Lydia said, the article basically identifies the victims so I won't be posting a link here sorry.

I got it.

58 minutes ago, Abbo said:

Yep, that is the reaction of good people.

One person you and know told me when he heard about it walked outside and vomited.

7 hours ago, Abbo said:

I spent a fair bit of time in his company when our kids were younger, never took to him - he always came across as a strange, dumb cunt. I hope he spends the entire 13 years on all fours on the shower room being chocked by every large handed pacific islander in there.

I wonder how many of the kids he coached got abused...I only hope they are not scared by the actions of this piece of shit.

7 hours ago, SCANAS said:

AS is like a body corporate. Most of the owners (club members) in the building don’t give a shit unless it affects them but they are happy to whinge about the committee (the club) and say the committee & strata (AS) only care about themselves :-) 

Well at one particular club the committee did only care about themselves. Hopefully that perception will now change, but that can only happen if the new committee loudly distance themselves from those that have gone before.

There are some very valuable and worthwhile issues raised here. 

I find it telling that GRS is seemingly deaf to all points raised, there is no listening or encouragment of dialogue. Instead his position is all defence and justification.

There's your evidence that's its broken.  A Trumplike display of blind ignorance. 

More fool me, I funded his existence for over 25 years. Not anymore.   

• Like 3
6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Well at one particular club the committee did only care about themselves. Hopefully that perception will now change, but that can only happen if the new committee loudly distance themselves from those that have gone before.

Between Jan & July I was only there three times so not much affects me.  Looking forward to B2HI & Airlie & possibly Hobart (50/50 it goes ahead) but as far as weekend sailing down there goes, I did three full years in a row & now I’ve lost interest. 

6 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Between Jan & July I was only there three times so not much affects me.  Looking forward to B2HI & Airlie & possibly Hobart (50/50 it goes ahead) but as far as weekend sailing down there goes, I did three full years in a row & now I’ve lost interest. 

I would rather shoot myself in the cock than go racing there every weekend.

4 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

I find it telling that GRS is seemingly deaf to all points raised, there is no listening or encouragment of dialogue. Instead his position is all defence and justification.   

Shaggy, rather than defence and justification, I find most of his responses to be supercilious - he doesn't (usually) bother to defend or justify.  The rose-coloured glasses post was an exception.  Maddening, especially when you consider where his salary comes from.

@grs, could I ask that you either treat posters with some respect or quit the platform, but please don't continue to act in a manner unbecoming to a conversation between adults, such as liking posts that are critical of AS while refusing to address the substantive issues raised.  Thanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

@grs, could I ask that you either treat posters with some respect or quit the platform, but please don't continue to act in a manner unbecoming to a conversation between adults, such as liking posts that are critical of AS while refusing to address the substantive issues raised.  Thanks.

While I have expressed my issues with AS, I prefer to play the issues not the man.

Ultimately GRS is constrained in what he can say by the source of his income (and that's reality, not a criticism of him). At least he does engage (on some issues) and we assume reads our posts; maybe even conveys stories of the restless natives back to AS. Better that than chase him away because he doesn't satisfy our needs for full engagement and debate as much as we might like it.

I, no less than anyne else would like to know why they had to destroy club LTS programs and inflict upon us rule 46 changes; other than for KPI purposes.

And I was at the "consultations" for both and even for the LTS changes, the so called discussions and debates. And yet, really in the end it all came down to "this is what is going to happen" and that from the people on the front line of AS's dealing with the issue.

I can hardy expect GRS to do better.

In any case, AS probably regard us as a smal troop of non typical complainers; even if we believe or know better.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

liking posts that are critical of AS while refusing to address the substantive issues raised.  Thanks.

If you want pursue substantive issues with AS I really dont think this the place.  Sailing Anarchy is infamous for bullshit and mud slinging.  Take it up directly with AS though their website.  You are asking too much to expect thoughtful, structured answers here.  And to think that the negative posters on this thread are representative of all clubs members is a huge stretch.

4 hours ago, Rambler said:

While I have expressed my issues with AS, I prefer to play the issues not the man.

Ultimately GRS is constrained in what he can say by the source of his income (and that's reality, not a criticism of him). At least he does engage (on some issues) and we assume reads our posts; maybe even conveys stories of the restless natives back to AS. Better that than chase him away because he doesn't satisfy our needs for full engagement and debate as much as we might like it.

I, no less than anyne else would like to know why they had to destroy club LTS programs and inflict upon us rule 46 changes; other than for KPI purposes.

And I was at the "consultations" for both and even for the LTS changes, the so called discussions and debates. And yet, really in the end it all came down to "this is what is going to happen" and that from the people on the front line of AS's dealing with the issue.

I can hardy expect GRS to do better.

In any case, AS probably regard us as a smal troop of non typical complainers; even if we believe or know better.

Fair enough Rambler, but I do try to remain respectful while hoping that grs is authorised by his employer to engage here to an extent - much like Jen was when she posted here as a representative of the IRC office.  I try to encourage grs to explain to us the reasons behind the various AS policies to which some of us take umbrage.  If indeed he is not authorised to do so, perhaps you are right that it's still better that he is here than not - I'd just like to encourage more meaningful engagement if that's not asking too much.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, trt131 said:

If you want pursue substantive issues with AS I really dont think this the place.  Sailing Anarchy is infamous for bullshit and mud slinging.  Take it up directly with AS though their website.  You are asking too much to expect thoughtful, structured answers here.  And to think that the negative posters on this thread are representative of all clubs members is a huge stretch.

I appreciate the point you are making trt, and not looking for an argument, but in my view posting here, where other disaffected Australian sailors are also involved, is probably more effective than a single lonely voice in the wilderness trying to sway AS.  They have shown they are consistently able to ignore such bleatings and proceed with their plans despite any grumbles from the masses.

And while SA is somewhat notorious, it also is a forum that is ignored at the ignorer's peril - not everything here is irreverant or irrelevant, and there's a reason grs is here.  The posters in this thread are mostly thoughtful, sensible, experienced sailors, competitors and yacht club administrators - not a bunch of ratbags.  The message is the important thing, not the forum in which it is aired.  IMHO, anyway (maybe I'm being unrealistic?).

• Like 6

I’m curious about the participation rates of Australian Sailing itself. How many of the listed staff race regularly? Or indeed... can sail at all?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

I’m curious about the participation rates of Australian Sailing itself. How many of the listed staff race regularly? Or indeed... can sail at all?

Well according to their individual FB pages at least 1 does

I watched a few minutes of the Laser racing in Tokyo and was bored shitless. Just watched McKeon win her 3rd gold and realised how we can fix AS.

Aussies mostly only care about swimming, so I think that the government should cut funding to all sports except Swimming at the elite level. Then AS will only get funding for juniors and will feel obliged to work for the club sailors who will be providing most of their funding.

15 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Some sail do they!

On 7/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, grs said:

This is incorrect. Absolutely no club or member affiliation fees are used to find any part of Australian Sailing's High Performance programs. 100% of HP funding for Enoshima comes from government grants, sponsors and patrons. Nonetheless, we can be proud of them too.

Hey GRS does AS publish its accounts somewhere?

On 7/31/2021 at 8:46 PM, Jason AUS said:

I don't have stats, but most staff do. Looking at the people who head up our interactions with clubs, all do. In that mix there's mid-fleet club level racers, twilighters and cruisers, through to people who've been to the Olympics or the Cup. Many are, or were also coaches and instructors engaged in everything from entry level beginners through to national teams representing overseas. A good bunch of people who understand the sport inside out. In my small team, we both race regularly.

There are of course jobs in AS where staff don't and it really doesn't matter, as in any sport. These are the roles where the function doesn't require that level of empathy, or subject matter knowledge, or where they can get the job done by relying on the inputs from other people who do have the knowledge. Just remember, there's many a male obstetrician.

Nonetheless, its a good question and one that many sports grapple with.

40 minutes ago, grs said:

I don't have stats, but most staff do. Looking at the people who head up our interactions with clubs, all do. In that mix there's mid-fleet club level racers, twilighters and cruisers, through to people who've been to the Olympics or the Cup. Many are, or were also coaches and instructors engaged in everything from entry level beginners through to national teams representing overseas. A good bunch of people who understand the sport inside out. In my small team, we both race regularly.

There are of course jobs in AS where staff don't and it really doesn't matter, as in any sport. These are the roles where the function doesn't require that level of empathy, or subject matter knowledge, or where they can get the job done by relying on the inputs from other people who do have the knowledge. Just remember, there's many a male obstetrician.

Nonetheless, its a good question and one that many sports grapple with.

When you refer to ‘the Cup’ I assume you mean they have been to the Melbourne Cup?

1 hour ago, grs said:

A good bunch of people who understand the sport inside out. In my small team, we both race regularly.

That is complete bullshit, as how many are running their one design or keelboat with their own after tax dollars.

Changes your perspective trust me!

37 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

When you refer to ‘the Cup’ I assume you mean they have been to the Melbourne Cup?

The St Helena Cup.

The Lota fighting and fishing club has just canned the Kepple and Hammo races. Chances of ABRW and Hammo going ahead range from buckley's to zero.

3 minutes ago, Abbo said:

The Lota fighting and fishing club has just canned the Kepple and Hammo races. Chances of ABRW and Hammo going ahead range from buckley's to zero.

The Sydney peeps were fucked weeks ago for Airlie and Hammo, but a week or so ago we were having breakfast on the beach at Hervey Bay and I watched 4 boats heading north, all with black sails.  It appears that the SEQ lockdown is likely to have the same effect on a lot of Qld sailors.

7 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

The Sydney peeps were fucked weeks ago for Airlie and Hammo, but a week or so ago we were having breakfast on the beach at Hervey Bay and I watched 4 boats heading north, all with black sails.  It appears that the SEQ lockdown is likely to have the same effect on a lot of Qld sailors.

Yep. NSW is in for the long haul I'm afraid.  I would estimate Sydney/NSW entries are at least 50% of total so if you also lose either Qld or Vic it is all over.

ABRW may still run like last year as the costs are so much lower and probably half the fleet is there already.

1 hour ago, Abbo said:

funny that the Race director was this morning only saying "the races will definitely going ahead"

too funny

Abbo, not so much the fleet already being there but there will be a lot of crews that will probably not make it.  I think there is a high chance of SE Queensland being locked down for another two weeks and then they are likely to restrict travel after that.  Interesting times.

2 hours ago, Livia said:

That is complete bullshit, as how many are running their one design or keelboat with their own after tax dollars.

Changes your perspective trust me!

A bit harsh. @grs regularly sailed on a Sportsboat in Hobart. It just happened to be the slightly slower one.

If everyone ran their own boat what the hell would we do for crew? It's hard enough as it is.

20 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Abbo, not so much the fleet already being there but there will be a lot of crews that will probably not make it.  I think there is a high chance of SE Queensland being locked down for another two weeks and then they are likely to restrict travel after that.  Interesting times.

Kinda my point. If Airlie does run it will be a local derby.

1 hour ago, (p)Irate said:

A bit harsh. @grs regularly sailed on a Sportsboat in Hobart. It just happened to be the slightly slower one.

If everyone ran their own boat what the hell would we do for crew? It's hard enough as it is.

Why do you think 2 handed is booming, except with AS of course

12 minutes ago, Livia said:

Why do you think 2 handed is booming, except with AS of course

Actually you might be onto something. If the only members of AS are the clubs not the individual sailors, isn't it then incumbent on the clubs to provide us with the boats? Or we could lease the boats to them. I'm happy to negotiate a fee.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Abbo said:

Was that Fisting ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, (p)Irate said:

Actually you might be onto something. If the only members of AS are the clubs not the individual sailors, isn't it then incumbent on the clubs to provide us with the boats? Or we could lease the boats to them. I'm happy to negotiate a fee.

I got the quote from B&G for the new H5000 set up with the auto driver, AS and the CYCA is trying to ban.

As they are trying to ban it , it must be good, so I thought I would get one.

But then all the other advantages came to mind.

Never have to make sure 7 other people had paid up members of AS

Never after the setting the boat up have to drive back to the front gates of the club to escort non member crew through the grounds at the Lota fishing and fighting club (because a couple of doctors and lawyers cannot be trusted not to interfere with the youth squad on the way)

I am way ahead.

But wait, the autopilots are a huge threat to club revenue.

So GRS you have no choice, to support your clubs you are going to have charge a new fee for each smart auto pilot used in racing.

That will keep you in a job

Hope it works better than Sailpass though

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Livia said:

I got the quote from B&G for the new H5000 set up with the auto driver, AS and the CYCA is trying to ban.

Never after the setting the boat up have to drive back to the front gates of the club to escort non member crew through the grounds at the Lota fishing and fighting club (because a couple of doctors and lawyers cannot be trusted not to interfere with the youth squad on the way)

I am way ahead.

So GRS you have no choice, to support your clubs you are going to have charge a new fee for each smart auto pilot used in racing.

Now the logic behind pending approval of electric drives becomes clear. you guys will need to carry the equivalent of galley slaves to produce the electrickery needed to run your fancy plotters etc and have them available to paddle home again after the battery goes flat and the crew can't peddle fast enough to get the charge up.

Brilliant.

FKT

16 hours ago, Livia said:

I am way ahead.

I find this whole CYCA vs autopilots kerfuffle completely stupid, and it only shows their ignorance. In the SSAA , we always said that autopilots were allowed (of course) but you couldn't interface them with a plotter - you could have wind or compass, but you couldn't get the pilot to steer to waypoints controlled by the plotter. That was the rule.

Obviously, like most things in sailing, it is up to the competitors to do the right thing.

The other thing that the CYCA hasn't realised  is that (particularly with tiller steered yachts), you cannot buy a drive that is long enough to exert the amount of helm you need to control the yacht, downwind under spinnaker, no matter how good your pilot is.

If you have a Class 40 or an IMOCA 60, then a whole different thing, but even then, how many times do these yachts lose control?

I have always said I sailed solo because I have no friends, but now I can say I can't afford to buy my crew AS memberships..

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mccroc said:

The other thing that the CYCA hasn't realised  is that (particularly with tiller steered yachts), you cannot buy a drive that is long enough to exert the amount of helm you need to control the yacht, downwind under spinnaker, no matter how good your pilot is.

Not convinced about that one. You can hook a tillerpilot up to a windvane and get the windvane to do all the heavy lifting, don't need anywhere near as much travel or power that way.

2 of my friends have this setup, of course neither of them are racers so NFI if this breaks any rules.

But it works pretty well provided you don't break anything. I had to drive over to Triabunna one time to deliver a couple spare bits I'd made when my friend broke something a bit under-strength getting out of Storm Bay.

FKT

9 hours ago, mccroc said:

I find this whole CYCA vs autopilots kerfuffle completely stupid, and it only shows their ignorance. In the SSAA , we always said that autopilots were allowed (of course) but you couldn't interface them with a plotter - you could have wind or compass, but you couldn't get the pilot to steer to waypoints controlled by the plotter. That was the rule.

Anyone doing serious shorthanded racing offshore would want a better setup than a tillerpilot. 

So its seems Australian Sailing gets about 8 million a year for the Olympic High Performance team, so $40 million in grants to give us 2 gold medals !!!!! 

Great return on investment

Snouts in the trough

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Not convinced about that one. You can hook a tillerpilot up to a windvane and get the windvane to do all the heavy lifting, don't need anywhere near as much travel or power that way.

2 of my friends have this setup, of course neither of them are racers so NFI if this breaks any rules.

But it works pretty well provided you don't break anything. I had to drive over to Triabunna one time to deliver a couple spare bits I'd made when my friend broke something a bit under-strength getting out of Storm Bay.

FKT

Another reason why your opinion is not relevant to the actual debate.

11 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Another reason why your opinion is not relevant to the actual debate.

So you're saying that you can't hook a tillerpilot up to a wind vane steering gear?

That'll surprise a few people.

FKT

41 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

So you're saying that you can't hook a tillerpilot up to a wind vane steering gear?

That'll surprise a few people.

FKT

You two only live 20 miles apart, can you get a room!

16 minutes ago, Livia said:

You two only live 20 miles apart, can you get a room!

More like 600+ NM at the moment - I'm bored, stuck in Sydney and supposed to be doing a software upgrade for the NSW Dept of Health. Then was supposed to be going to Qld to fix/upgrade their system but they can fuck off, as soon as they release the Sydney lockdown I'm out of here and back to Tasmania.

Anyway, I actually sympathise with you guys. I just can't resist throwing some rocks in the pond because the discussion here goes something like this:

AS is being nasty to us - they're insisting on X (SailPass for example).

<Lots of agreement WRT AS being nasty & unreasonable>

Someone asks why you don't tell them to FOAD.

Response - we have no direct say, only clubs have a say, and they make us comply.

Someone asks why you don't insist your club tells AS to FOAD.

Subject usually dropped at that point. My conclusion then being that the majority of the club membership is either happy with what AS is doing, apathetic about it, or agree with you but there's some overriding reason to not do what you want. Seems public liability insurance may be an issue if a club dis-affiliates. Regardless, you guys can't get a critical mass to force change at the club level.

I also get that most people just want to pursue your sport and not get involved in club/AS politics.

So you can't get your club to listen to you and/or your club gets ignored/outvoted by other clubs so there's no leverage on AS to stop doing whatever they're doing that you object to.

Then I ask why don't you set up your own club and run with your own rules outside AS and the response runs from <crickets> to my getting told to FOAD. Obviously that's not a goer either.

Seems to me that your only remaining path to force change is political ie start/keep pestering your MP's so they put pressure on AS. Are any of you doing that?

So, other than venting about how AS is making your lives miserable - something I totally agree is occurring - what in hell are you actually trying to accomplish, and what's your plan for getting there? In nice simple, dot-points please.

You may find that, instead of throwing rocks in the pond, I aim them at a different target, because I totally agree with you WRT getting the rough end here. I simply cannot see what if anything you're trying to achieve. I'd help you if I could because while I don't give a toss about sailboat racing myself, I'm not at all hostile to it and we all have a lot of other boat stuff in common.

Yeah yeah I know - fuck off and die, stop being a smart-arse. That's the response I anticipate. Whatever.

FKT

21 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Anyone doing serious shorthanded racing offshore would want a better setup than a tillerpilot. 

Yes possibly, but if you have a transom hung rudder, so therefore no quadrant, not much else you can do.

I am not talking about a ST1000!

1 hour ago, mccroc said:

Yes possibly, but if you have a transom hung rudder, so therefore no quadrant, not much else you can do.

I am not talking about a ST1000!

Perhaps it's better to skip a tillered transom hung rudder boat if you want to shorthand race offshore

Above deck

46401742_1960216390682158_5359543200228835328_n.jpg.6e5687fe6096ab892fb3dd5c4d1ea67d.jpg

my boat

IMG_1080.thumb.jpg.3de0868c4f5756b88834929ba028afa7.jpg

14 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Perhaps it's better to skip a tillered transom hung rudder boat if you want to shorthand race offshore

Someone should have told me that 22 years ago when I started short handed racing offshore!

• Like 1

For the racers,

just had confirmation, Hamilton Island Race week is cancelled for 2021, 

follows on from cancellations of Brisbane to Airlue and Brisbane to Hamilton races

21 minutes ago, JasonL said:

For the racers,

just had confirmation, Hamilton Island Race week is cancelled for 2021, 

follows on from cancellations of Brisbane to Airlue and Brisbane to Hamilton races

Cancelled completely? Website is saying its been "scaled back"...

From the website......

Update about Hamilton Island Race Week 2021

Due to the continually evolving situation with interstate lockdowns, and our belief that border restrictions may extend for longer, our Race Committee and Events Team have made the difficult decision to scale back the event.

At this stage, Race Week will still go ahead for all boats who are able to enter Queensland but as we strongly suspect this will be a greatly reduced number of boats, the on-shore schedule will not go ahead as planned, with the majority of the events cancelled and tickets refunded. We are still working through the event plan, and will provide an update as soon as possible.

Whilst this is disappointing, we know that many of our fleet are well underway with their plans, and need to know information like this now. We will continue to monitor the Queensland Health Advice and update this page as new information comes to hand.

If you would like to cancel your boat entry, please email dthomp@ozemail.com.au
If you need to cancel on-shore event tickets, please email events@hamiltonisland.com.au
For accommodation enquiries, please email hirw@hamiltonisland.com.au

48 minutes ago, trt131 said:

New notice up now re HIRW

Yep, blame the nasty little virus for another event scratched from the yachting calendar. 

Here is the notice on the Hamilton Island Race Week website

Hamilton Island Race Week 2021 Update

After careful consideration, we have made the difficult decision to cancel Hamilton Island Race Week 2021.
We believe this is the right thing to do for the safety of the fleet, our island community and our guests.

We share in your disappointment, especially given Race Week 2021 was set to be a record year.

We will be sending more detailed information directly to our fleet shortly.

To our competitors around Australia and to our Race Week sponsors and partners, we thank you for your exceptional support.
We look forward to being in touch in the not too distant future, with information on Race Week 2022.

If they lift lockdown for Brisbane this Sunday afternoon I predict a mass exodus of about 100 boats from Manly Harbour about 5.01pm...

2 hours ago, Abbo said:

If they lift lockdown for Brisbane this Sunday afternoon I predict a mass exodus of about 100 boats from Manly Harbour about 5.01pm...

Cases increasing each day. Not likely to come out of lockdown this weekend. We were told 2 weeks to start with in Sydney.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rumpig said:

Cases increasing each day. Not likely to come out of lockdown this weekend. We were told 2 weeks to start with in Sydney.

Agreed. Bugger all chance, but I have an owner who just coughed up for a new suit of 3Di's so I am trying to remain optimistic for his sake.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:32 PM, Abbo said:

Agreed. Bugger all chance, but I have an owner who just coughed up for a new suit of 3Di's so I am trying to remain optimistic for his sake.

Are you allowed on the water if it's within your 10km?

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Are you allowed on the water if it's within your 10km?

Only if your are fishing for "essential food" whatever the hell that means. But basically no, no recreational boating of any kind. I've been down at RQYS marina a few days this week on a boat with a flybridge so ?I could see over the rock wall. I've never seen the bay so empty. No one out there at all despite some pretty nice weather.

I think that it's now looking promising for lockdown to lift but there is no way they are going to open everything back up quickly. I can easily see there being a travel restriction on SEQ residents... like 50k's or something like that for at least another week or two. 

8 hours ago, Abbo said:

Only if your are fishing for "essential food" whatever the hell that means. But basically no, no recreational boating of any kind. I've been down at RQYS marina a few days this week on a boat with a flybridge so ?I could see over the rock wall. I've never seen the bay so empty. No one out there at all despite some pretty nice weather.

I think that it's now looking promising for lockdown to lift but there is no way they are going to open everything back up quickly. I can easily see there being a travel restriction on SEQ residents... like 50k's or something like that for at least another week or two. 

I have 13 day home quarantine to enjoy. A wonderful "Welcome to Queensland".

Looking forward to the day I can head out to Manly to perhaps hitch a ride on a sister ship whilst my boat is still stuck in NSW.

The first lockdowns in Vic were strict on sailing, but later they became more sensible and allowed you to sail with household members for "exercise"

So looking forward to seeing SEQ Port-Starboard rules in action.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Looking forward to the day I can head out to Manly to perhaps hitch a ride on a sister ship whilst my boat is still stuck in NSW.

The first lockdowns in Vic were strict on sailing, but later they became more sensible and allowed you to sail with household members for "exercise"

From what I can gather reading here the SEQ Pt-Stb Rules are just a mirror image of what is the norm globally.Thinking the quickest way to acclimatise would be to face the stern rather than the bow when determining Pt-Stb.Hope that helps and yields results in the Protest Room.You should be on the same page as the Committee if you adopt that recommendation.

Good luck in your move and relocation.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Well least we like you and we told you about them.
People we don't like we don't tell.