• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what's wrong with an Opti kid being awarded the Rolex Male athlete of the Year?  Here's what  Shirley Robertson had to say: "Marco is undoubtedly a great talent, and I'm sure in time we will s

It's strange where one can gain motivation, sometimes in the unlikeliest of places. Mrs Octopus, stumbled a bit and has misrepresented the facts. Curious by comparison just appears to be  misinformed,

That's an awesome set of rose-coloured glasses you've got on! Yes, I prefer the discourse be public as other anarchists are interested also in the discussion.  You must be puzzled by the disconne

Posted Images

7 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Done..

Sayonara dude. Don't forget to turn your watch back 25 years. Oh, and happy anniversary...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Done..

Not quite sure if that is moving up or down!

As it's North I guess that's one version of up.

Done..

Not quite sure if that is moving up or down!

As it's North I guess that's one version of up.

4 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Sayonara dude. Don't forget to turn your watch back 25 years. Oh, and happy anniversary...

But at least he can now  buy clothes that are not black!

Enjoy your single digit nights Melbournites we have 24 degree days this week. We also have Moreton Bay with two of three largest sand islands in the world. Overnight sail to the largest sand island & one more night & the southern Great Barrier Reef. Terrible place to be if you want to sail in board shorts all year round really. 

Just now, SCANAS said:

Enjoy your single digit nights Melbournites we have 24 degree days this week. We also have Moreton Bay with two of three largest sand islands in the world. Overnight sail to the largest sand island & one more night & the southern Great Barrier Reef. Terrible place to be if you want to sail in board shorts all year round really. 

And home to the 2032 Olympic sailing. Guess LGFF&FC would be really upset they gave up the world class Deanbilla Bay Sail Training Centre

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

And home to the 2032 Olympic sailing. Guess LGFF&FC would be really upset they gave up the world class Deanbilla Bay Sail Training Centre

It's all going to be in Airlie Beach according to my sources.... 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

For club racing I don't think anywhere in Aus can beat Melbourne. You don't have to worry for the most part about draft (TP52's and bigger have issues, but they are not really club racers) and you have a large open expanse of water for many clubs to play with not much traffic. Also you can have a decent length passage races (40nm). 

But that is where the good stuff ends.

My move here did change my focus from stripped out racers to a racer with a little bit of comfort for the family. Also knowing that the family will use it much more for day trips & weekends around Morton Bay plus longer holidays or race/holiday trips allowed me to break free of the original $80k with family encouragement :D 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Abbo said:

It's all going to be in Airlie Beach according to my sources.... 

That will be interesting. Summer Olympics, so stingers, crocodiles and tiger sharks. Oh, and stone fish at the launching ramp

Wind and kite surfers should have fun.

That video of a paraglider having a shark jump out of the water and bite off his legs should be played on a continous loop at the sailing centre just to put some spirit in them

29 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

For club racing I don't think anywhere in Aus can beat Melbourne. 

Grasshopper, you have many tings still to rearn. 

I see some of the 2032 Olympic swimming squad is already in training...

With that sort of motivation we should see records tumble. The proposed new Medal categories are Gold, Silver and Deceased

Qld Trip Aug 09 1 191.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Yawwwn; the Olympics are so 1956...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I see some of the 2032 Olympic swimming squad is already in training...

With that sort of motivation we should see records tumble. The proposed new Medal categories are Gold, Silver and Deceased

Qld Trip Aug 09 1 191.jpg

Might be a few new contenders in the Paralympics too.

6 hours ago, SCANAS said:

going to be a heatwave tonight - 13 deg minimum. And it's blowing a gale

• Like 2
4 hours ago, snoopy said:

Anyones club offering 50% discount on IRC citification? or know of it happening? 

I think AS were offering a 50% discount for some clubs for ORCc for the first year in Vic. DSS in Hobart are doing something but I think its a sponsorship arrangement and only for their members. Its kinda confirms that IRC is a bit pricy compared to AMS and ORCc which are producing good results.

8 hours ago, Rambler said:

That will be interesting. Summer Olympics, so stingers, crocodiles and tiger sharks. Oh, and stone fish at the launching ramp

Wind and kite surfers should have fun.

That video of a paraglider having a shark jump out of the water and bite off his legs should be played on a continous loop at the sailing centre just to put some spirit in them

Winter. Thant's why its not in Brisbane. Too light.

For club racing I don't think anywhere in Aus can beat Melbourne. You don't have to worry for the most part about draft (TP52's and bigger have issues, but they are not really club racers) and you have a large open expanse of water for many clubs to play with not much traffic. Also you can have a decent length passage races (40nm). 

But that is where the good stuff ends.

My move here did change my focus from stripped out racers to a racer with a little bit of comfort for the family. Also knowing that the family will use it much more for day trips & weekends around Morton Bay plus longer holidays or race/holiday trips allowed me to break free of the original $80k with family encouragement :D 

Nah you'll never get an Hobartisn agree. Eastern shore has endless sunshine, Tassie has the best beer and wine in the world and a massive harbour with plenty of water. All YC are within staggering distance of good restaurants and club memberships are relatively cheap. We have the best water to sail.in but I have to admit we dont use it as well as we should.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, jeff said:

Nah you'll never get an Hobartisn agree. Eastern shore has endless sunshine, Tassie has the best beer and wine in the world and a massive harbour with plenty of water. All YC are within staggering distance of good restaurants and club memberships are relatively cheap. We have the best water to sail.in but I have to admit we dont use it as well as we should.

i have sailed in tassie during summer and it took years to get my nuts back out......

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Rum Monkey said:

i have sailed in tassie during summer and it took years to get my nuts back out......

Hope we'll see you this summer if we can ger covid to bugger off. I'll take you for a midweek sail but please leave your nuts in. Theres a few rules about that. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rum Monkey said:

Toughen up princess. The Blokes World Sportsboat crew from QLD won the 2012 nationals in Hobart at Easter. The last day was about 10 degrees, snow to 500m, and 30 knots. They spent about 20 minutes on their side in the piss.

They were honorary Tasmanians. Even if they did drink XXXX Gold.

I sailed on a QLD Mumm 30 at Airlie 2005. Day 1 was the Armit Double Cone race. 15 degrees and 20 knots. The skipper refused to believe that it could get cold and sailed in shorts and shirt. Tasmanians (like Norwegians) know that there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. I read the forecast. I wore thermals and wet weathers. The skipper was huddling (disturbingly) into my side to avoid hypothermia.

When I got back to my unit that night I found that there was no heating. I had to turn on all the hot plates on the stove, and open the oven door, to warm the place up.

So I don't think Queenslanders lose their nuts in the cold but certainly have lost their brains before it gets cold.

10 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Toughen up princess. The Blokes World Sportsboat crew from QLD won the 2012 nationals in Hobart at Easter. The last day was about 10 degrees, snow to 500m, and 30 knots. They spent about 20 minutes on their side in the piss.

They were honorary Tasmanians. Even if they did drink XXXX Gold.

I sailed on a QLD Mumm 30 at Airlie 2005. Day 1 was the Armit Double Cone race. 15 degrees and 20 knots. The skipper refused to believe that it could get cold and sailed in shorts and shirt. Tasmanians (like Norwegians) know that there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing. I read the forecast. I wore thermals and wet weathers. The skipper was huddling (disturbingly) into my side to avoid hypothermia.

When I got back to my unit that night I found that there was no heating. I had to turn on all the hot plates on the stove, and open the oven door, to warm the place up.

So I don't think Queenslanders lose their nuts in the cold but certainly have lost their brains before it gets cold.

I remember that day well, The coldest day in the Whitsundays in 50 years, or so the local paper said.  Everybody went looking to by warm clothing but nothing suitable was available in Airlie.  Bloody cold.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, Rum Monkey said:

But we all know you are soft.

Last time I went racing with Pirate we almost missed the start because of the delay in waiting for the tow truck to clear the road of the cars that had driven off the road to the yacht house in the snow before we could get to the boat.

But the 20cm of ice in the cockpit floor of the T7 melted by the start.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Livia said:

Last time I went racing with Pirate we almost missed the start because of the delay in waiting for the tow truck to clear the road of the cars that had driven off the road to the yacht house in the snow before we could get to the boat.

Geez you were lucky. Back in my day, we had to sail 5 miles barefoot uphill both ways breaking ice with our bare hands just to get to the course….. :P:D

• Like 1

RM, being the former boat builder that you were, it is cold when the epoxy fairing bog applied on a high humidity Qld November day has enough moisture in it to freeze expand and crack the cockpit coaming.

image.png

2 hours ago, Livia said:

It was 20cm wide, not 20cm thick. Here's a piece. Livia slipped on his arse on the frost. After the race!

Screenshot_20210812-223450.png

On 8/12/2021 at 8:10 PM, Livia said:

ice is ment to be in your rum not on the floor

12 minutes ago, Rum Monkey said:

But it saves you time in not having to go to the ice box for it

6 hours ago, Rum Monkey said:

It's there in case you spill the rum!

On 8/12/2021 at 10:43 PM, (p)Irate said:

It was 20cm wide, not 20cm thick. Here's a piece. Livia slipped on his arse on the frost. After the race!

Screenshot_20210812-223450.png

Livia slipped over on your boat?? i hope you didnt get a letter from his solicitor LB 15.....

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently golf clubs are experiencing a near 50% upswing in membership due mostly to their national body getting on the front foot and getting in place protocols and lobbing the govment so they are allowed to continue operations. Meanwhile over at Australian Failing?????

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rawhide said:

So apparently golf clubs are experiencing a near 50% upswing in membership due mostly to their national body getting on the front foot and getting in place protocols and lobbing the govment so they are allowed to continue operations. Meanwhile over at Australian Failing?????

Yes indeed - they are down to groups of 2 playing, so getting a booking is very hard! My brother plays at 3 or 4 courses near Wollongong - always one has a hit off time!

There should be some ability to have races if no gathering at clubs. Particularly if vaccinated.

5 minutes ago, mccroc said:

races if no gathering at clubs

wot you talkin 'bout willis 

be like a steak sandwich without steak .

Just now, Mid said:

wot you talkin 'bout willis 

be like a steak sandwich without steak .

Yes well I did think about that, but maybe after so long in lockdown, anything to get on the water..

• Like 1
20 hours ago, mccroc said:

Yes indeed - they are down to groups of 2 playing, so getting a booking is very hard! My brother plays at 3 or 4 courses near Wollongong - always one has a hit off time!

There should be some ability to have races if no gathering at clubs. Particularly if vaccinated.

Groups of 2 you say? So 2 handed yacht racing (assuming MA approves), maybe it will catch on and just about every dinghy?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Irrelevant because he won't approve.

Is that because he has to pay the crew in order to have someone sail with him and make him look good ? 

I wonder if as a kid his mother had to tie a chop around his neck just to get the dog to play with him ?

Pulpit

• Like 4

Reading this topic, and ruminating on why we have AS, or more how did the clubs allow AS to happen, I have asked an old mate of mine (96) when he remembered things changing from club focussed to organisation focus, and he thought from the 1950s onwards.

So my club SASC turns 150 next year. I have been going through the abridged minutes since 1872 up to 1972, and a few things stick out. In 1872 they started with their own Racing Rules (which are very similar to the current RRS, except clearer).

In 1898 SASC joined the Sydney Sailing Council, but resigned to join NSW Amateur Sports Club in 1901. They joined the Sydney Yacht Racing Association in 1921, and made application to join the British Yacht Racing Association.

Fast forward to 1950 and YA NSW is formed, and everything gets bad. Firstly YANSW wants SASC to stop using the "A" prefix on sails Response from SASC - no.

In 1952 they want money to support Olympic sailing - £3000 per annum, and therefore levy each member - SASC says no. So YANSW try again in 1953 and 1954 and each time SASC disagrees.

In 1955 YANSW levy 5/. per member , but SASC replies that until you tell us what the money is to be used for, the answer is still no, but we will open a voluntary subscription list. YANSW lobbies for our support for a compulsory levy because there aren't enough voluntary contributions (I wonder why?).

1957 YANSW ask SASC where their 1956-57 levies are - again they're told if you tell us how you are spending the money we'll pay it to you.

1969 the 18footers agree to race under IYRU rules, and the same year YANSW try to make changes to their Constitution that would increase costs to members, so finally in 1970 a revised Constitution was adopted.

So a short history that shows it all started to go bad when YA was formed in 1950.

I have two pdfs if anyone is interested - one with the 1872 racing Rules, and another one with all the bullet points from 1872 to 1972.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, mccroc said:

...I have two pdfs if anyone is interested - one with the 1872 racing Rules, and another one with all the bullet points from 1872 to 1972.

I'd love to get a copy of the 1872 racing rules.

Grant Simmer named to the board of AS for a two year term.

I wonder if that's in addition to the Team Ineos duties...

• Like 1

https://www.sailing.org.au/events/111844/

Australian Sailing hosting the NSW and ACT Wednesday Webinar Rules Series. Three questions come to mind:

1. Does Australian Sailing not realise that there's a whole country outside of NSW?

2. Are the rules different in NSW and the ACT? 

3. Does their interweb not extend past their closed COVID borders?

13 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

https://www.sailing.org.au/events/111844/

Australian Sailing hosting the NSW and ACT Wednesday Webinar Rules Series. Three questions come to mind:

1. Does Australian Sailing not realise that there's a whole country outside of NSW?

2. Are the rules different in NSW and the ACT? 

3. Does their interweb not extend past their closed COVID borders?

I know the Rules are different in Qld.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Livia said:

I know the Rules are different in Qld.

I know in TAS that motor boat operators don't realise that overtaking sailing vessels have to give way to them and continually turn into your path when you're trying to avoid them at 17 knots under kite. But maybe he was a blow-in from NSW where the rules are different?

• 1 month later...

Time to get everyone ready for next weeks news!

Will GRS be sent to Perth?

Will the Appeal Panel have to overrule previous decisions?

Will the CEO retire?

Will Aust sailing have to take a stand on the acceptance of race entries by clubs?

Will Australian Sailing ever find the Mould 11 certificate?

Will anyone everyone get to read the Canting Keelgate Report.

It is the start of a new year afterall.

53 minutes ago, Livia said:

Time to get everyone ready for next weeks news!

It is the start of a new year afterall.

I was beginning to wonder if you'd run out of puff.

22 minutes ago, grs said:

I was beginning to wonder if you'd run out of puff.

GRS

Just giving the heads up of what is headed towards your desk in the next few weeks.

Besides seems like a whole new round of stupidity just kicked off.

And anyway, the Australian Sailing Queensland Yachting Championships are coming up and that always gives rise to some protests and appeals.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DtM said:

What is happening in the "poor me I was so hurt in my "employment"" complaint?

I think he means the CEO's complaint.

Going too be a big few weeks otherwise!

Clearly one of the most disgraceful episodes in the history of Australian Sailing.

Looks like there is a new front opening as well.

Last time AS entered local club politics , it ended up with the RQYS v. Oceans and Fusion decisions.

Not good for AS or the sport as it gave away control of a big part of the sport to the clubs.

I am not seeing Mark Hipgrave's entry (Mister Lucky) in the Hobart yet.

Inquiring minds might know more.

I should have Mccroc's attachment above.

In my view, this reflects very badly on the CYCA and those for whom it professes to speak.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DtM said:

I should have Mccroc's attachment above.

In my view, this reflects very badly on the CYCA and those for whom it professes to speak.

Don't worry it gets even better!

24 minutes ago, DtM said:

Maybe he has been banned for life by the CYCA in secret and more will follow from ArSe. Truly pathetic.

Thanks to GRS and his mates, clubs do not have to give any reasons when rejecting a competitor from entering or participating.

Even completely unsubstantiated and untested and undetermined suspicion of misconduct is sufficient to prohibit participation and without any requirement to give reasons.

Guess Mr Hipgrave will doing the Melbourne Hobart.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mccroc said:

Considering Mark Hipgrave's request for assistance I reckon that @Livia should consider some pro bono work.

I've been seriously fucked over by jealous and pretentious pricks in my profession on the basis of pure spite and jealousy. But, fuck me, this situation is about a sport, with no money to win or lose, let alone any prestige that anyone in the real world values.

I reckon that AS is the type of cancerous organisation that if Hipgrave won a 2-handed world championship they wouldn't even acknowledge it.

This week is World Education Week celebrated by the Global School Showcase. Out of 100 schools world wide five Australian schools are featured. No, there isn't one from Tasmania. Because people like those opposed to Mark Hipgrave said no.

• Like 2
On 10/3/2021 at 10:01 PM, (p)Irate said:

This week is World Education Week celebrated by the Global School Showcase. Out of 100 schools world wide five Australian schools are featured. No, there isn't one from Tasmania. Because people like those opposed to Mark Hipgrave said no.

Can you post a link to the successful schools please.

Google only seems to produce results of a year or more ago.

1 hour ago, Rambler said:

Can you post a link to the successful schools please.

Google only seems to produce results of a year or more ago.

The five Australian schools. Not sure which one was subbed in for the TAS one.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

The five Australian schools. Not sure which one was subbed in for the TAS one.

An interesting list.

Not the expected schools.

6 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

What were you expecting?

Not a big deal. Just curiosity. [And OT]

I was actually wanting to see if a new local school running on a novel basis was in there (it recently was the subject of an ABC show).

But otherwise thought it might have been well known private schools.

But I don't know what the criteria were. 

On 10/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Well, that worked well, your mates can’t be far behind.

Meanwhile…………

Dance monkey dance.

bwahahahaha

Sorry Mrs Octopus. I declined the offer to sail in the St Helena Cup today and flew home to Tassie instead. The mere thought of being anywhere near your tentacles was disturbing.

Anyone know how to contact the "Upper Cabbage Tree Creek Yacht Coub"

or the details on the club, , who here knows, or is, a member?

curious!

9 hours ago, JasonL said:

Anyone know how to contact the "Upper Cabbage Tree Creek Yacht Coub"

or the details on the club, , who here knows, or is, a member?

curious!

Peter H is commodore for life. If you PM me I can give you his number.

On 10/6/2021 at 5:58 PM, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Well, that worked well, your mates can’t be far behind.

Meanwhile…………

Dance monkey dance.

bwahahahaha

Well look who time out is over...Did you use your time wat to do something useful like learning to sail?

12 hours ago, MRS OCTOPUS said:

What’s a “time wat”

On 10/6/2021 at 5:58 PM, MRS OCTOPUS said:

Dance monkey dance.

bwahahahaha

Seeing as WA now allow electronic flares will they be able to replace the Pyrotechnic ones in our safety regs

Water users will also be able to swap out pyrotechnic flares for an electronic night signalling device, if they are also carrying or wearing a GPS enabled EPIRB.

An electronic night signalling device emits a red light which can be seen at night up to two nautical miles away.

It has a battery life of up to 12 hours, as opposed to regular flares, which burn for just a few minutes.

56 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

Seeing as WA now allow electronic flares will they be able to replace the Pyrotechnic ones in our safety regs

Water users will also be able to swap out pyrotechnic flares for an electronic night signalling device, if they are also carrying or wearing a GPS enabled EPIRB.

An electronic night signalling device emits a red light which can be seen at night up to two nautical miles away.

It has a battery life of up to 12 hours, as opposed to regular flares, which burn for just a few minutes.

I certainly won't be in any rush to make that change.... 2 miles is pretty pathetic compared to a red handheld flare.

Considering our club mandates flares for Cat 7, I'd be all for having them as an alternative, especially if it worked out cost neutral. I'd even go for them if they were a bit more expensive as I hate disposing of flares every few seasons.

• Like 2

In my Safety at Sea course, we played with both types, and they were equally bright. 

If it were me, I'd carry one of each and be double safe...