1 hour ago, Boink said:

This is exactly how the sport gets killed.

Too much oversight, using safety as the battering ram, that actually destroys the entire Castle (Sport of Sailing) you are trying to take control of......    

But weasel marketing will somehow always spin an actual negative into a much hailed success.

Eventually it will be one boat per class, but dressed up as "everyones a winner"......

As it turns out you could not be more correct. I just found out that there were 5 entries but only 3 started and one of them pulled out after a few hours leaving ...one in the two handed division and one in the fully crewed division! Not only that they went ahead with the prize giving - each boat got huge trophies for line honours and overall in each division.

You can not make this shit up.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what's wrong with an Opti kid being awarded the Rolex Male athlete of the Year?  Here's what  Shirley Robertson had to say: "Marco is undoubtedly a great talent, and I'm sure in time we will s

It's strange where one can gain motivation, sometimes in the unlikeliest of places. Mrs Octopus, stumbled a bit and has misrepresented the facts. Curious by comparison just appears to be  misinformed,

That's an awesome set of rose-coloured glasses you've got on! Yes, I prefer the discourse be public as other anarchists are interested also in the discussion.  You must be puzzled by the disconne

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

As it turns out you could not be more correct. I just found out that there were 5 entries but only 3 started and one of them pulled out after a few hours leaving ...one in the two handed division and one in the fully crewed division! Not only that they went ahead with the prize giving - each boat got huge trophies for line honours and overall in each division.

That must have been a real well attended & fun prize giving party....... 

But the upside is........ Plenty of chairs available for the postprandial activities

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Interestingly there have been two Wolf rock races (don't ask why) held over the past month here is SE QLD. Both were billed as S2H Qualifiers. One was jointly run by several clubs and didn't not require a sail pass. It had 22 entries. The other was run by everyone's favourite Royal club (Who claim they 'own' the Wolf rock race) and did require a sail pass for each crew member. It had 5 entries.

Do they both use the same RRS ?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Abbo said:

I heard a rumour the yacht "Dream" sank not long after the start of the 1st race after a collision... Can anyone confirm this? 

Abbo,

So what Port / Starboard or Starboard / Port rule were they using ?

Were they  racing out of the Lotta fishing and fight club ? if so they would off been using the Starboard / Port Morton Bay Local rules.

Maybe we need GRS to come and explain this local rule and how it replaces the normal rules and how it's only for the rich and shameless and the invited few of the Lotta fishing ad fight club who drink / buy red wine with and for GRS.

Pulpit

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Xtasea said:

Please update your sailsys details in order to take part in this thread. Please register for each thread that you wish to take part in. Registration must be complete 72 hours before taking part in any thread.

I’m not participating in this thread. I’m just a passenger…

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

I’m not participating in this thread. I’m just a passenger…

So instead of getting screwed by Australian Sailing.........

Your getting screwed by the Owner.

But Choice and Consent is important. ;)

No one could argue that Consent is granted in the former.........

• Like 2

Sadly, it appears that sailing is not the only sport in Australia that is administered by a bunch of uncaring, self-serving assholes.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-08/olympic-swimmer-maddie-groves-says-she-was-sexually-abused/100669340

I read the ABC article and, even though the sports are so different, the attitudes are the same.  It's depressing.

18 hours ago, Abbo said:

I heard a rumour the yacht "Dream" sank not long after the start of the 1st race after a collision... Can anyone confirm this? 

Dream was in a P/S a few weeks ago. Nasty bow shaped hole in the port side. Didn’t think it would be out sailing again yet, so doubt it went out & sunk. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, LB 15 said:

We had to DNS because our poor owner got pinched for rigging which he wasn’t expecting as the boats only 6-7yrs old from new! So had to get that sorted instead of that. We are going out overnight this weekend instead + sailing to Syd the following week. 

17 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Do they both use the same RRS ?

15 hours ago, pulpit said:

Abbo,

So what Port / Starboard or Starboard / Port rule were they using ?

Were they  racing out of the Lotta fishing and fight club ? if so they would off been using the Starboard / Port Morton Bay Local rules.

Maybe we need GRS to come and explain this local rule and how it replaces the normal rules and how it's only for the rich and shameless and the invited few of the Lotta fishing ad fight club who drink / buy red wine with and for GRS.

Pulpit

The OA was not the Lota dining and chair throwing club, it was another. However the boat that was on port is a member of that esteemed club so there may have been some confusion over the P/S rule.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Oy, you guys are still fighting this lost war? 

Still going. One has to recognise the tenacity, at least. Thought it ran out of puff a couple of months back but I was mistaken.

14 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Oy, you guys are still fighting this lost war? 

2 hours ago, Boink said:

Is that you, Australian Sailing......?!?!?

Wondered when you'd make an appearance

36 minutes ago, grs said:

Still going. One has to recognise the tenacity, at least. Thought it ran out of puff a couple of months back but I was mistaken.

You mean you had hoped it had run out of puff......

So that the Carpet could be fixed up

• Like 1
2 hours ago, grs said:

And there it is.

For anyone wondering how chronically tone deaf Glen is, or how poor his ability is to read the room - he never fails to astound, amaze and disappoint.

• Like 9
18 hours ago, Boink said:

So instead of getting screwed by Australian Sailing.........

Your getting screwed by the Owner.

But Choice and Consent is important. ;)

No one could argue that Consent is granted in the former.........

At least the owner buys me dinner and a nice bottle of Shiraz before #crewing me? And that’s NOT a typo…

• Like 2
6 hours ago, grs said:

I think the reality of what is happening in 24 days is starting to dawn on people who previously didn't think about it. Certainly a big source of angst at the club prize giving last Sunday.

I don't think the battle will go away - the pressure will be on the clubs to right their wrong of agreeing to a totally insane prescription.

If I have referred to the wrong battle, then of course there are the other ones that again will only heat up when decisions are published.

21 hours ago, grs said:

Wow. And there is our representation. Pay your money and go away.

Instead of recognising our tenacity, how about recognising our concerns.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Mad Mac said:

Wow. And there is our representation. Pay your money and go away.

Instead of recognising our tenacity, how about recognising our concerns.

"The dogs bark, the children cry but the AS circus caravan rolls on...."

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

"The dogs bark, the children cry but the AS circus caravan rolls on...."

FKT

And that's because the clubs are the members of AS not the individuals. So all AS has to do to keep the status quo is to keep the big clubs happy (after all the votes of only a few big clubs carry enough weight to pass anything at AS level).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

Well, at least one AS sponsor has been here and read the thread. 

Funny how there is no response from AS about the “Which Way to go” front page article.

It raised some fair questions.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Livia said:

Funny how there is no response from AS about the “Which Way to go” front page article.

It raised some fair questions.

A response from them may suggest wrongdoing by their star pupil, fat rats arse chance of that happening. 

On 12/8/2021 at 2:52 PM, greasy al said:

Good to see I’m paying you to fart about on social media during work hours.

In fairness there would be more outcry if he didn’t respond. It’s just “community engagement” 

40 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

In fairness there would be more outcry if he didn’t respond. It’s just “community engagement” 

I agree that engagement is worthy. Essential even.

Most corporate organisations have a strict or closely controlled media policy to keep communication on message and within their stated objectives. Only a few individuals are trained and authorised. The vast majority of staff have a zero media engagement clause in their employment contract. Certainly has been in my experience.

But having reviewed his comments around SA, many are a complete Liability to both himself and Australian Sailing.

It's difficult to believe that he is both media trained and authorised.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:22 AM, LB 15 said:

Interestingly there have been two Wolf rock races (don't ask why) held over the past month here is SE QLD. Both were billed as S2H Qualifiers. One was jointly run by several clubs and didn't not require a sail pass. It had 22 entries. The other was run by everyone's favourite Royal club (Who claim they 'own' the Wolf rock race) and did require a sail pass for each crew member. It had 5 entries.

Anyone know which of the two,,,, fleets,,, were required to have their keelbolt inspections done?

or is this only for 2022 onwards

Just in...

Subject: AS Special Regulations Amendments | Grab Bags

Dear Competitor

Australian Sailing have published a number of Amendments to the Special Regulations. These can all be found here.

I would like to draw your attention to the amendment regarding grab bags (attached). These are now mandated for each life raft and a list of contents to be considered is provided. We appreciate this is a very last minute change and thank you for your understanding.

Please note you will be spot checked on the grab bags, however, we will not specify the contents.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Apart from requiring all competitors to spend an additional 3-4 grand 16 days before the start of the countries biggest race WTF does "Please note you will be spot checked on the grab bags, however, we will not specify the contents.' mean? If they are not specifying the contents then what will they be inspecting? That you have a orange bag with the boats name on it?

Good luck finding 100 odd SARTS in the country in the next two weeks.

2FED9354-9B4A-4708-AC51-FD718A22733D.jpeg

94A53BCD-146B-403A-AFB0-199971587B17.jpeg

16 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Just in...

Dear Competitor

Australian Sailing have published a number of Amendments to the Special Regulations. These can all be found here.

I would like to draw your attention to the amendment regarding grab bags (attached). These are now mandated for each life raft and a list of contents to be considered is provided. We appreciate this is a very last minute change and thank you for your understanding.

Please note you will be spot checked on the grab bags, however, we will not specify the contents.

Apart from requiring all competitors to spend an additional 3-4 grand 16 days before the start of the countries biggest race WTF does "Please note you will be spot checked on the grab bags, however, we will not specify the contents.' mean? If they are not specifying the contents then what will they be inspecting? That you have a orange bag with the boats name on it?

Has there been a course change Sydney to Hobart (via the Three Great Capes)? 

57 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Just in...

Dear Competitor

Unbreakable spectacles for any crew member needing them?

Jesus. Why not also specify a tube of KY jelly and a 12 pack of condoms for each grab bag just in case things get particularly sporty?

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Jesus. Why not also specify a tube of KY jelly and a 12 pack of condoms for each grab bag just in case things get particularly sporty?

Don't give them ideas

Smart move to release this 16 days before the race

26 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Don't forget sand....

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Many wont need the spare spectacles; they're quite capable of making a spectacle of themselves as annually witnessed at the Cuss House.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, JasonL said:

Anyone know which of the two,,,, fleets,,, were required to have their keelbolt inspections done?

or is this only for 2022 onwards

Just had out of water inspection for insurance renewal.

No one would do the AS inspection.

Too much risk and no insurance.

49 minutes ago, Livia said:

So AS mandate a requirement for CAT 1 safety that nobody can comply to, as there is nobody willing to sign off on it.

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Just in...

Dear Competitor

Whilst everyone else is getting rid of plastic bags AS is mandating them!

2 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Whilst everyone else is getting rid of plastic bags AS is mandating them!

Shhussh.......

Don't you know?

AS are eggspurts in everything to do with our Sport........

Oh, and Zero Accountability....... 

Now bend over, this is gonna hurt you a lot more than it hurts them.

1 hour ago, Boink said:

Shhussh.......

Don't you know?

AS are eggspurts in everything to do with our Sport........

Oh, and Zero Accountability....... 

Now bend over, this is gonna hurt you a lot more than it hurts them.

THAT’S why lube and condoms aren’t mandated…

61E04073-3FCF-449B-8914-3743B7A58DA5.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Livia said:

My boat was recently out of the water and got my AS keel inspection done. 

For the edification of my fellow posters, the Invitation race for the Hobart Classics Regatta was yesterday - gusting 30, so race abandoned, but we had a full main up (before reefing) and close reaching across the Harbour, when a well known Hobart winning blue boat whose skipper we all love comes down on us from windward. I expect they will keep a good distance, but no, they cross our stern within 3 metres or so - in 30 knots on an empty Harbour. My call was "fuckwits", once or twice as well as "you didn't need to come so close" - their response was to laugh and say I should have called windward.

The interesting point to me is that had we collided at that speed, both yachts may have sunk. I think a classic Fife would be missed. 

Great display of seamanship.

Oh and in a way ironic that a harbour race for Hobart yachts is called off for 25 knots plus. Not criticising the call, just noting the irony. I think Kialoa II, Fidelis, Maris etc could have handled a run up to Manly and back!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rum Monkey said:

who is the person that does the inspection?

Who is a ‘qualified’ Inspector to conduct this visual inspection?
The range of Inspectors has been kept broad since the inspections are visual and no specialized equipment or techniques are required. Inspectors could be marine surveyors, naval architects or engineers, or shipyard mechanics with a minimum of 5 years’
experience working on yacht mechanical systems or composite materials. The Owner or persons directly employed by the Owner is not considered suitable. Some countries may require additional certification in order to undertake yacht inspections. Each MNA will have to determine if they will require additional qualifications.

3 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

So presume you now have a document that states your keel wont fall off ?

I think the inspection certificate has to be stuck to the keel no further aft than 1.8 times maximum freeboard from the midgirth. It also has to be in a colour that is easily spotted by SAR.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Jethrow said:

Who is a ‘qualified’ Inspector to conduct this visual inspection?
The range of Inspectors has been kept broad since the inspections are visual and no specialized equipment or techniques are required. Inspectors could be marine surveyors, naval architects or engineers, or shipyard mechanics with a minimum of 5 years’
experience working on yacht mechanical systems or composite materials. The Owner or persons directly employed by the Owner is not considered suitable. Some countries may require additional certification in order to undertake yacht inspections. Each MNA will have to determine if they will require additional qualifications.

Hmmm, visual inspections and no specialised equipment or techniques by a boatyard kid who's worked for at least 5 years. Definitely makes ME feel safer!

32 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Hmmm, visual inspections and no specialised equipment or techniques by a boatyard kid who's worked for at least 5 years. Definitely makes ME feel safer!

I'd hate to be the first person who did one of these thorough visual inspections on a keel that falls off.

• Like 1

I note in the other ‘Safety’ updates in what appears to be an attempt stamp their ‘Green Credentials’ onto the sport is AS’s total lowering of the safety standard bar to accomodate electric engined yachts.The previous rules appear to mainly accomodate diesel powered yachts which had a sensible recommendations for a average 50 ft yacht with a 50 hp engine to carry 111 litres of fuel at the start.Assuming what my Tech teachers taught us decades ago is still relevant that fuel burn for a diesel is approx .8 a litre per hour per 10 hp means about 28 hours of motoring at 7 knots gives a range of around 200 nm which should be enough to get you back to shelter if you were dismasted etc going in the Hobart Race.If you have a Electric Powered 50 foot yacht this is dumbed down to 5 Hours motoring at 7 knots i.e. only35 nm range.A look at past trackers on the great Hobart site and you very rarely see any yacht within 35 miles of land 12 hours into the race.Maybe they are banking on a yet to installed ‘Fast Charging Station’ on a moored pontoon in Bass Strait.A highly experienced ocean racing yachtsman who I am privileged to call a friend reckons the problem is now going to be compounded by now AS recently not having Trisails mandatory thus losing one of the key key tools to Jury Rig the yacht in case of a dismasting.Flame gently if my numbers are out.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

I note in the other ‘Safety’ updates in what appears to be an attempt stamp their ‘Green Credentials’ onto the sport is AS’s total lowering of the safety standard bar to accomodate electric engined yachts.The previous rules appear to mainly sensibly accomodate diesel powered yachts which had a sensible recommendations for a average 50 ft yacht with a 50 hp engine to carry 111 litres of fuel at the start.Assuming what my Tech teachers taught us decades ago is still relevant that fuel burn for a diesel is approx .8 a litre per hour per 10 hp means about 28 hours of motoring at 7 knots gives a range of around 200 nm which should be enough to get you back to shelter if you were dismantled etc going in the Hobart Race.If you have a Electric Powered 50 foot yacht this is dumbed down to 5 Hours motoring at 7 knots i.e. only35 nm range.A look at past trackers on the great Hobart site and you very rarely see any yacht within 35 miles of land 12 hours into the race.Maybe they are banking on a yet to installed ‘Fast Charging Station’ on a moored pontoon in Bass Strait.A highly experienced ocean racing yachtsman who I am privileged to call a friend reckons the problem is now going to be compounded by now AS recently not having Trisails mandatory thus losing one of the key key tools to Jury Rig the yacht in case of a dismasting.Flame gently if my numbers are out.

Yeah but as long as you carry two of those plastic paddles you get from K-Mart with the kids blow up dinghy you should be able to paddle back to shore from 200nm off!!!!

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Rotnest Express said:

Only compliant if the Plastic is recycled.

Nonsense, like plastic straws have been replaced by paper straws, plastic is not a permitted material for paddles

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

I hope that gave you a warm fuzzy feeling that AS have your best interests at heart

A tingle in my loins actually

12 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

So presume you now have a document that states your keel wont fall off ?

Yeah, I know, total BS from AS. 

I want to do some races that require it. At least I did it when the boat was out of the water for a bottom job. I’d hate to have to haul out just to satisfy AS’s requirements.

11 hours ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

I'd hate to be the first person who did one of these thorough visual inspections on a keel that falls off.

perhaps they can sue AS. 

The AS attitude is contagious...just got a reminder from SYC that the upcoming Sail Sandy event is now taking entries..... Their big selling point? Enter now or cop the pain of the late entry fee!! FFS!! When are these people gunna start delivering a value proposition rather than more penalties? The recent Mordialloc Sailing Club's Victorian Dinghy Champs offered a similar event at a third of the price and with no late fees to encourage last minute entries....and threw in free sausage sizzles and a beverage!! And you could park!!! Some clubs are just up themselves and losing whatever touch they had with their constituencies...Time to call it out!

• Like 4
On 12/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

Many wont need the spare spectacles; they're quite capable of making a spectacle of themselves as annually witnessed at the Cuss House.

I usually share it around and make a spectacle of myself at Shippies & the POW too!

On 12/10/2021 at 12:16 PM, Jason AUS said:

I think from memory, the safety at sea training calls that keeping warm.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:49 AM, mccroc said:

For the edification of my fellow posters, the Invitation race for the Hobart Classics Regatta was yesterday - gusting 30, so race abandoned, but we had a full main up (before reefing) and close reaching across the Harbour, when a well known Hobart winning blue boat whose skipper we all love comes down on us from windward. I expect they will keep a good distance, but no, they cross our stern within 3 metres or so - in 30 knots on an empty Harbour. My call was "fuckwits", once or twice as well as "you didn't need to come so close" - their response was to laugh and say I should have called windward.

The interesting point to me is that had we collided at that speed, both yachts may have sunk. I think a classic Fife would be missed. 

Oh and in a way ironic that a harbour race for Hobart yachts is called off for 25 knots plus. Not criticising the call, just noting the irony. I think Kialoa II, Fidelis, Maris etc could have handled a run up to Manly and back!

So they missed you…… why bang on about it. Bone head. 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:49 AM, mccroc said:

58 minutes ago, oneiron said:

44 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Feelings were hurt, obviously. 

So do we need to get GRS involved to help sort this out and take control ?

After all we could sort out this problem out and maybe get a rule 69 as well as make GRS feel better   again ?

GRS doesn't care about anyones feels as long as he's OK and AS can look like they are taking control of sailing again and that Poster boy GRS looks great again.

Now Anyone  have some free red wine to say thanks / bribe our poster boy ? It just helps  to keep him on side for the next time we may need him and remember to say "thank you Don Corleone" and kiss his ring.

Pulpit 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

GRS doesn't care about anyones feels as long as he's OK and AS can look like they are taking control of sailing again and that Poster boy GRS looks great again.

Now Anyone  have some free red wine to say thanks / bribe our poster boy ? It just helps  to keep him on side for the next time we may need him and remember to say "thank you Don Corleone" and kiss his ring.

Hang on… wasn’t it a bottle of red that saw Barry O’Farrell “step down” as Premier of NSW?

It’s an idea…

• Like 3
16 hours ago, oneiron said:

You may have missed the background - mccroc was entrusted to sail another person's boat, a classic Fife, with the owner not aboard.  That circumstance would make most people more nervous than sailing their own boat where the risk and responsibility is more certain.  Unnecessarily coming into close quarters in windy conditions isn't generally the hallmark of good seamanship when not racing, and I suspect that was the gist of mccroc's complaint.  I have no difficulty in empathising with his position, I would likely have been annoyed also.  

Calling him a "bone head" probably didn't ruin his day, but it doesn't reflect well on you - wait, will GRS lodge a complaint against me for saying that? 

• Like 10
On 12/11/2021 at 8:51 AM, Jethrow said:

The Owner or persons directly employed by the Owner is not considered suitable.

So you can not pay the inspector for the inspection?

• Like 1
On 12/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, Couta said:

The AS attitude is contagious...just got a reminder from SYC that the upcoming Sail Sandy event is now taking entries..... Their big selling point? Enter now or cop the pain of the late entry fee!! FFS!! When are these people gunna start delivering a value proposition rather than more penalties? The recent Mordialloc Sailing Club's Victorian Dinghy Champs offered a similar event at a third of the price and with no late fees to encourage last minute entries....and threw in free sausage sizzles and a beverage!! And you could park!!! Some clubs are just up themselves and losing whatever touch they had with their constituencies...Time to call it out!

VALUE PROPOSITION could be good boat name. 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, Couta said:

have you mixed up sail sandy with sail melbourne? one is $50 entry and the other is $150

6 hours ago, Rum Monkey said:

have you mixed up sail sandy with sail melbourne? one is $50 entry and the other is $150

You're absolutely correct Rum Monkey...and my apologies to SYC...I've crossed my lines!  My ire's targeted at AS and their so called sponsorship of Sail Melbourne!

AS affiliate with Sail Sydney & Sail Melbourne to market their support of grass roots OTB sailing back to the Govt. It's a promo of lympix classes in an ongoing attempt to secure govt money for AS Lympix medals....Sail Sandy, Vic Dinghy Champs...$50. Sail Sydney & Sail Melbourne.....$150. Only difference is AS is behind the Syd & Meld events!

6 hours ago, Couta said:

AS affiliate with Sail Sydney & Sail Melbourne to market their support of grass roots OTB sailing back to the Govt. It's a promo of lympix classes in an ongoing attempt to secure govt money for AS Lympix medals....Sail Sandy, Vic Dinghy Champs...$50. Sail Sydney & Sail Melbourne.....$150. Only difference is AS is behind the Syd & Meld events!

Sail Sydney this year ... $380 for a 29er and Nacra 15, $320 for Laser Radial and Standard, $240 for laser 4.7 ... breathtakingly gobsmackingly expensive ... 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stanno said:

Sail Sydney this year ... $380 for a 29er and Nacra 15, $320 for Laser Radial and Standard, $240 for laser 4.7 ... breathtakingly gobsmackingly expensive ... 

$120 early bird entry with $140 standard entry for all classes at sail brisbane this year for a 3 day regatta.

2 minutes ago, Rum Monkey said:

$120 early bird entry with $140 standard entry for all classes at sail brisbane this year for a 3 day regatta.

Clearly AS doesn't value Brisbane!! :D

Or maybe the club didn't take the opportunity to gouge.....still, $140 for a single handed class is still a bit rich...

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Clearly AS doesn't value Brisbane!! :D

Or maybe the club didn't take the opportunity to gouge.....still, $140 for a single handed class is still a bit rich...

Not really when you think about the cost of putting an event on (especially a dinghy event) and Laser sailors only eat bananas and drink water so the age old argument of 'they will spend money at the bar' doesn't hold water anymore.