Cursing like a sailor

apophenia

I’ve been engineering software for 20 years, book-ended with dinghy sailing in college and SF Bay beercans for the last two years.

One thing perplexes me: what happened to cursing like a sailor? I feel like I tone it down a lot on the Lyft ride from the office to the dock.

What is this, the post-Wagnerian opera?!

What the fuck are you talking about?! 

Tell the Lyft driver to hit the goddam gas, put the joint down and drive like she’s going to an ExtinctionRevolution protest. 
But don’t use foul language on the course. Your boat might get protested by a PC boat near you. Happens more than not.

There's cursing and then there's cursing. Endlessly saying "fuck" and "shit" is low-class.

Generally sailors have good reasons to curse.

As for getting protested, fuck that shit. Those goddam faggots wanna complain about cursing can suck my dick.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Tell the Lyft driver to hit the goddam gas, put the joint down and drive like she’s going to an ExtinctionRevolution protest. 
But don’t use foul language on the course. Your boat might get protested by a PC boat near you. Happens more than not.

Funny you should mention PC. One of the easiest ways to build team unity, I’ve found, is to wait until the new woman on the team lets slip something like: “WTF, this goddamn spec is completely wrong!”, and then looks embarrassed. After a pause, I reply with: “I’m glad to hear you use proper engineering terms!” Everyone has a laugh, tensions are reduced and shit gets done.

Maybe I just need to step up from beercans to more serious racing?

Like other things, cursing seems to ebb and flow with changes in culture. I remember talking with my dad and my uncle about how they had to "re-train" after returning from WWII. One was in Europe in the army and the other in the navy in the Pacific. My uncle said "we were used to saying 'pass the fuckin' potatoes' at mealtime."

Cursing is useful for emphasis, and in comedy, irony. 

This summer, I found myself working on the engine on a hot afternoon tied up at a public dock. We were with good friends on this trip, and while the girls went off to get provisions, my buddy was standing by on the pier while I did what I needed to do in the heat below decks. A ticklish Volvo problem required me to repetitively remove the alternator and regularly mash my fingers. The sweat rolling off me made it worse, fogging my reading glasses.

Meanwhile a passerby had started chatting with my buddy, who never seems to meet a stranger. But this stranger was particularly annoying, as from my cramped position below, I was forced listen to his bullshit. He had owned this and that boat, had a mansion in Virginia Beach, etc. The sound of his voice smacked of puffery, but my friend is too nice to be impolite and continued the small talk. At one point I managed to really pinch my forefinger good (nail still black as I type this), and I let loose with a reverberating GOD-DAMN-IT!!  The visitor quickly moved on, and I was able to complete the repair in quiet.

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Welle fuckeng saide!                                          :)

:)

I think it was in the foreword to The Caine Mutiny where the author said he left out all the "casual cursing of the sailors", calling it "merely a sort of verbal punctuation".

I once worked with a guy who did it more than anyone I've ever met. Literally every third word was "fuck".

"I fuckin' drove the fuckin' wheels off that fuckin' truck all the fuckin' way to the fuckin' dump then I fuckin' unloaded the fuckin' shit I had to fuckin' get rid of - it was fuckin' hard fuckin' work".

he literally spoke like that - I fuckin' shit you not.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I think it was in the foreword to The Caine Mutiny where the author said he left out all the "casual cursing of the sailors", calling it "merely a sort of verbal punctuation".

I once worked with a guy who did it more than anyone I've ever met. Literally every third word was "fuck".

"I fuckin' drove the fuckin' wheels off that fuckin' truck all the fuckin' way to the fuckin' dump then I fuckin' unloaded the fuckin' shit I had to fuckin' get rid of - it was fuckin' hard fuckin' work".

he literally spoke like that - I fuckin' shit you not.

I worked with a guy like that. In every sentence there were multiple curse words, no matter how short the sentence was. After a few months of hearing him swearing, I told him Enough!

Well he stopped and I started.  A number of years later I was given that list of Why I Swear by an elderly lady who couldn’t listen to me anymore. I do come out with some cuss words on occasion, but it is not that often.

8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Golly gosh, gee wizz why the heck  would anyone need to use potty mouth language to get "there" point across. Dang this site has gone downhill.

58 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Golly gosh, gee wizz why the heck  would anyone need to use potty mouth language to get "there" point across. Dang this site has gone downhill.

Don't let the door hit you in your ample arse on the way out, cup cake.

And shut the door after you leave. We don't want any other children wandering in here.

When I met my to-be wife she already knew how to sail (had her own boat), offered to lend me tools, and after a while told me she was glad I cursed, 'cause it reminded her of her dad. It seems like there are several levels of cursing, and some can be pretty vile. OTOH, I do find that it helps relieve tension and eases pain to let loose a "cock-sucker-mother-fucker" when I split open a knuckle while wielding a wrench, pinch a finger with pliers and get a nice big blood blister, drop a winch handle on my toe, etc. I fully respect the right of those within earshot to take offense, considering me to be some sort of cretin with no redeeming qualities. Fuck 'em.

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I think it’s “their” point for fucking, fuckity fuck sake

I meant “they’re” . I hate autocorrect correcting my attempts at humor 

11 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Or as my wife likes to say: " there is nothing in this world that can't be solved with a good 'fuck'!"

Plesae PEM herre contacte info to me..... thack you.                                 :)

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

Or as my wife likes to say: " there is nothing in this world that can't be solved with a good 'fuck'!"

You married extremely well.

"What the fuck was that?" Mayor of Hiroshima

"Where did all these fucking Indians come from?" General Custer

"Where the fuck is all this water coming from?" Captain of the Titanic

"That's not a real fucking gun." John Lennon

"Who's gonna fucking find out?" Richard Nixon

"Heads are going to fucking roll." Anne Boleyn

"Let the fucking woman drive." Commander of Space Shuttle

"Any fucking idiot could understand that." Albert Einstein

"It does so fucking look like her!" Picasso

"How the fuck did you work that out?" Pythagoras

"You want what on the fucking ceiling?" Michaelangelo

"Fuck a duck." Walt Disney

"Why?- Because its fucking there!" Edmund Hilary

"I don't suppose its gonna fucking rain?" Joan of Arc

"Scattered fucking showers my ass." Noah

"I need this parade like I need a fucking hole in my head." John F. Kennedy

9 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

"What the fuck was that?" Mayor of Hiroshima

"Where did all these fucking Indians come from?" General Custer

"Where the fuck is all this water coming from?" Captain of the Titanic

"That's not a real fucking gun." John Lennon

"Who's gonna fucking find out?" Richard Nixon

"Heads are going to fucking roll." Anne Boleyn

"Let the fucking woman drive." Commander of Space Shuttle

"Any fucking idiot could understand that." Albert Einstein

"It does so fucking look like her!" Picasso

"How the fuck did you work that out?" Pythagoras

"You want what on the fucking ceiling?" Michaelangelo

"Fuck a duck." Walt Disney

"Why?- Because its fucking there!" Edmund Hilary

"I don't suppose its gonna fucking rain?" Joan of Arc

"Scattered fucking showers my ass." Noah

"I need this parade like I need a fucking hole in my head." John F. Kennedy

"Thackes fiorre the appelle Mr. Snacke"      Eve

7 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Don't let the door hit you in your ample arse on the way out, cup cake.

And shut the door after you leave. We don't want any other children wandering in here.

Why thank you kind sir for being so concerned with my bum  way creepie

BTW saw you responded to little o me  in anutter thread within minuets of this one. Whats dat word oh yea OWNED hahahahayuck yuck 

1 hour ago, VWAP said:

Why thank you kind sir for being so concerned with my bum  way creepie

BTW saw you responded to little o me  in anutter thread within minuets of this one. Whats dat word oh yea OWNED hahahahayuck yuck 

How was school? 

We all know that you can't swear on the VHF. 

Heard over Ch 16 "Yankee Foxtrot Delta Charlie, Yankee Foxtrot Delta Charlie, Yankee Foxtrot Delta Charlie, this is Yacht Whatever, Yacht Whatever. Over."

Discovered in the bar later that YFDC stood for 

You. Fucking. Dirty. Cunt.

Priceless.

8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

How was school? 

Why thanks for asking. It went well as usual. My professor in  yesterdays  Cyber security law and policy course brought in a guest speaker. Very informative. Oh and the professor mentioned my recent paper was exceptional. 

10 hours ago, VWAP said:

Oh and the professor mentioned my recent paper was exceptional. 

Really? So he isn't concerned about spelling or grammar?

17 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Really? So he isn't concerned about spelling or grammar?

Or even intelligence and maturity.

"Exceptional" can have a couple of meanings.

Just like "extraordinary"

10 minutes ago, Boink said:

Fuck Card.jpg

You really should do something about those finger nails. And that is either a really big card or mate, we have bad news for you...

Sis in Law was driving one day with cherubic little 2 yo son strapped in his car seat

Someone pulled out in front of her.  Brief pause.........

fukfukfukfukfuk!!!!! explodes from cherubic little 2 yo

Mother thinks "wonder where he got that from"

Looks in the mirror.......

My GF ( now wife) and I lived together in a place that shared a common (thin) wall with a well known & liked priest.....we assumed he could hear most of our conversations....as a result we used our own code....GFYMFC! was a favourite...the Y stands for you....

The neighbour ended up marrying us...and we let him in on the code...he doid larf!!

Archived