bigrpowr

Vendee Globe 2020

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Pretty sure, Kate will want him to go again, if that is what Alex decides. 

I can’t imagine loving a person whose entire professional adult life has been about one event and that person just trying to turn that focus/aspiration off on such a note and being content/happy without a significant transition period... it is fundamentally part of who they are. 

• Like 3

LEGEND! come back in 4 years and keep flying high for the wealth and uprise of our sport... BOSS!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, tDot said:

I hope you're right, but it isn't just the man we have to consider.  He has a wife, kids and I'm sure others who will affect his decision.  Who knows how that will play out.  Who knows what promises were made to allow him to play for this long.  

He'll be back with the same boat.  12 month refit/rebuild then 3 year promotional / racing / testing campaign in the lead up to the next race.  

24 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Who has participated in the most VGs?

Jean Le Cam I think has finished 3 and retired in 2 others. Alex Thomson has also entered 5 and finished 2 , IIRC.

19 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

He'll be back with the same boat.  12 month refit/rebuild then 3 year promotional / racing / testing campaign in the lead up to the next race.  

Yeah. He'll be back, but with a brand new, Hugo Boss. Clearly, the current one ain't strong enough.

18 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Jean Le Cam I think has finished 3 and retired in 2 others. Alex Thomson has also entered 5 and finished 2 , IIRC.

And they’re both such great personalities. I remember the 2008 cycle and Hugo Boss (I think now possibly time for ocean) got rammed by that boat outside the locks - if that didn’t destroy him then? I don’t see why he couldn’t endure this now (provided the sponsors stay). 

I don’t think the current one is irreparably flawed - they admit not being able to do more mods on her; they still put in 20,000nm on her; gather all the data from Charal, other programs that’ll share - hack the bow off & put in a scow, beef it up with a better understanding of the forces at play. The concept is solid. He was fast. And bring more rudders. 

The champions don’t wallow in self-pity about owe is me, life isn’t fair, what did I do to deserve it. They regroup. Analyze. Work the problem.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Who has participated in the most VGs?

Jean Le Cam is at his 5th participation... He has finished 3 of them so far.

Alex Thomson participated 5 times as well, but finished only twice. But twice on the podium, mind you...

Skippers with 4 attempts (including the current edition) are the following (number in parenthésis is the number of finishes):

Bertrand de Broc(1)

Marc Thiercelin(2)

Mike Golding(3)

Dominiquee Vavre(3)

Vincent Riou(2)

Jean-Pierre Dick(3),

Arnaud Boissières(3)

Jérémie Beyou(1)

Armel Le Cléac'h participated "only" 3 times, but 3 finishes... and 3 podiums...

Arnaud Boissières is on his 4th participation and has the particularity to have always finish his VG attempts (like Armel Le Cléac'h), but not on the podium.

If Arnaud and Jean finish this edition, they can start a very elite club: the 4TFVG: the four-times-finishers-of-the-Vendée-Globe. And then Arnaud would have the extra recognition of 100% finishes...

And NO, I do not know all that shit by heart...

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendée_Globe#Palmarès

• Like 9

Just read Sail-World. Most of it is about the upcoming AC races, but it includes a brief mention of the VD, with a brief discussion of Kevin's Escoffier's rescue by Jean Le Cam and Kevin's boat sinking. Name of boat not mentioned, but Gladwell inaccurately says it was a return favor by Kevin as Kevin rescued Le Cam previously. Also no date of that rescue given. I sent Gladwell an email mentioning Vincent Riou was the rescuer previously. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Just read Sail-World. Most of it is about the upcoming AC races, but it includes a brief mention of the VD, with a brief discussion of Kevin's Escoffier's rescue by Jean Le Cam and Kevin's boat sinking. Name of boat not mentioned, but Gladwell inaccurately says it was a return favor by Kevin as Kevin rescued Le Cam previously. Also no date of that rescue given. I sent Gladwell an email mentioning Vincent Riou was the rescuer previously. 

No surprises there. Richard makes shit up all the time about the AC! ;-)

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Can't see him hanging up his sea boots quite yet. Too much unfinished business.

I hope your right but I feel he isn't capable of out sailing the younger guys like Dalin etc. 

1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

I hope your right but I feel he isn't capable of out sailing the younger guys like Dalin etc. 

Well. Alex had a pretty handy lead in this race, before Hugo Boss started falling apart. Not so sure, Charlie would be leading if, Charal and Hugo Boss had continued 100% operational, at this time.

No disrespect to Charlie intended. He was my pick to win this go-around, after all. ;-)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

"Just one breakage so far can clearly be attributed to a failed foil." 

Then add AT's from 2016 (the inaugural outing and higher probability with 6 foilers where 2 retired other breakages) and then only 2 foil failures.

I know AT said UFO but hey.....a clean break and no box damage? :rolleyes:

Remembering also of the 6 foilers in 2016 AT was the flattest more conventional (with less continuous RM)? Hence maybe why we was able to continue and still do well.

Then remember Ruyant's LinkedOut is a 'L' type foil like Charal etc, NOT the more retractable 'C' type like Arkéa-Paprec, 2020 HB etc.

So ONLY TWO FOIL FAILURES out of twenty six foilers after one and bit races so far.  That looks pretty bloody good to me. 

Seb Josse (Gitana) retired due to foil failure in 2016.

1 hour ago, tDot said:

Sad to see Alex 30 miles from Cape Town.  Seems like an end to an era and may be the last timw we see him race.   I for one genuinely hope he chooses to come back and race again.  This isn't a satisfying end to his Vendee Globe story. 

"I for one genuinely hope he chooses to come back and race again."

God has given the world only ONE WISH on who they want back in 2024.

AT.

OR

Trump.

Rest easy. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

AT.

OR

Trump.

Rest easy. 

So that's a win win!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

AT.

OR

Trump.

Rest easy. 

Yeah. It'll be rigged. Trump will be robbed again... ;-)

• Like 1

AT will be in cape town harbor soon. Hopefully he moors somewhere accessible. If that the case, it would be cool if there is somebody in the forum based in cape town who can take some photos of the rudder area.

• Like 1

Just now, nasil2nd said:

AT will be in cape town harbor soon. Hopefully he moors somewhere accessible. If that the case, it would be cool if there is somebody in the forum based in cape town who can take some photos of the rudder area.

Fairly good security in most places suitable in Cape Town. But perhaps somewhere in the V&A basin where somebody could get a look . 

1 hour ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Imitação Muito original... pobre cachorro, todavia ainda sem patrocinador :lol::lol:

2 hours ago, 3to1 said:

Monitor, I worked there in high school. bought a 470 with the money.

So we move to the best of the stone age. :lol:

The traditional  Pendulum Servo System being 1960's English ARIES which inspired design of those Californian MONITORs you made.

I was only a short time user of a vane being an early adoptee of an electric AP. Often toyed, but not very long with thought of vane as a unpowered spare, but the space required is a killer.

IMG_20201204_180604.jpg

56 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:
6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

"Just one breakage so far can clearly be attributed to a failed foil." 

Then add AT's from 2016 (the inaugural outing and higher probability with 6 foilers where 2 retired other breakages) and then only 2 foil failures.

I know AT said UFO but hey.....a clean break and no box damage? :rolleyes:

Remembering also of the 6 foilers in 2016 AT was the flattest more conventional (with less continuous RM)? Hence maybe why we was able to continue and still do well.

Then remember Ruyant's LinkedOut is a 'L' type foil like Charal etc, NOT the more retractable 'C' type like Arkéa-Paprec, 2020 HB etc.

So ONLY TWO FOIL FAILURES out of twenty five foilers after one and bit races so far.  That looks pretty bloody good to me. 

Seb Josse (Gitana) retired due to foil failure in 2016.

My bad it is 3 out of 25. 

Forgot completely about EdR's being a soft foil failure. Sebs long tour to Australia stuck in brain more closely.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So we move to the best of the stone age. :lol:

The traditional  Pendulum Servo System being 1960's English ARIES which inspired design of those Californian MONITORs you made.

I was only a short time user of a vane being an early adoptee of an electric AP. Often toyed, but not very long with thought of vane as a unpowered spare, but the space required is a killer.

IMG_20201204_180604.jpg

yup, neat concept, but pretty chunky.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Try telling Le Cam about age limitations :-)

• Like 3

Looks like some interesting routing decisons to be made due to the big bulge in the last ice limit change. 

lanes.PNG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

In cycling they say old age and treachery will beat youth and skill...

• Like 1

for the comments upthread re Boris "going dark"

“Boris has had to switch off some of the onboard electronics like the dashboard data to save power as we lost both hydro generators in the night – this wasn’t from hitting something but just from the pressure surfing on a wave. No other damage and he will fix these with spares which we have on board in the coming days when the sea state is lighter – but just a heads up not to worry if you don’t see data coming off the boat :-)"

https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/vendee-globe-2020-blog/day-26-0920-boris-lost-both-hydro-generators/

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, tallyho said:

for the comments upthread re Boris "going dark"

“Boris has had to switch off some of the onboard electronics like the dashboard data to save power as we lost both hydro generators in the night – this wasn’t from hitting something but just from the pressure surfing on a wave. No other damage and he will fix these with spares which we have on board in the coming days when the sea state is lighter – but just a heads up not to worry if you don’t see data coming off the boat :-)"

https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/vendee-globe-2020-blog/day-26-0920-boris-lost-both-hydro-generators/

He mentions in one of his videos the hydros cavitating and having to go and mess with them.

I've really enjoyed following the stuff he's sending out. Hope he gets things sorted.

2 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

129326904_10159175958283255_2705037055164958969_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=wPB_OVnsFgUAX-L1V1Y&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel7-1.fna&oh=404267758b627029822ff6eb39532196&oe=5FEDAC5F

Easy spot to acess but tricky to see the rudders :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3to1 said:

IMG_20201204_180604.jpg.18943416e1d8cf9fef03ce1c47d2e5b2.jpg

yup, neat concept, but pretty chunky.

She looked slim to my eye. :lol:

There are 12 systems in principle.

3 system types now dominate the market:

1. Auxiliary rudder systems (types 3, 4, 5 and 6)

2. Servo-pendulum systems (types 9, 10 and 11) ie. Aries and your Monitor.

3. Double rudder systems a combo (type 12) which is the Windpilot.

The cruisers debate their choices to death. That seems to favour 2 over 3 and 1 forget.

I can hear thread drift police warming their engines.

IMG_20201204_193909.jpg

1 hour ago, tallyho said:

Boris has had to switch off some of the onboard electronics like the dashboard data to save power as we lost both hydro generators in the night

This FIRST hydro issue reported only speed related, not UFO or fish? 

If so that is an improvement over the past.

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

This FIRST hydro issue reported only speed related, not UFO or fish? 

If so that is an improvement over the past.

AFAIK these hydro generators are kick-up style and "fused" somehow.

Miranda Perron just reported this is some smaller type of Dyneema as fuse that has blown last night.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/20787/miranda-merron-keel-problems

Well, looking on the SWL of even 2mm Dyneema the triggering forces are ....quite nice :-)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Butenbremer said:

AFAIK these hydro generators are kick-up style and "fused" somehow.

Pretty sure Maitre Coq's Yannick Bestaven's company Watt & Sea supplies everyone.

There was talk of 2 retractable in-hull turbines early but I don't think anyone persevered with it due to foiling. The only other is electric auxiliary engines with hydro combo. Only Alex or did he finally go diesel??

IMG_20201204_203210.jpg

Message from Sébastien Destremeau (Merci) received on the night of December 3 to 4 who went up the mast for a third time to fix an anemometer problem.

"After a long conversation with my brothers last night, we found that the joke had gone on long enough and we said to ourselves that we weren't going to beat about the bush.  Basically, we concluded that the best thing would be lie the boat down on its side to make the climb easier. In other words, to set the sails against the sea and let the keel hang as much as possible. This morning there were 25/30 knots, so it was not possible, but by the evening the wind dropped below 20. 

The sea was still choppy and it was going to be rough up there but the idea was to go up on the mainsail and not by the mast which is extremely dangerous to get knocked about on..

As a result, with the boat lying down it was a bit like walking on the mainsail which was above the water. It was quite impressive, but it worked very well. I was able to reach the top without hurting myself too much and discovered that the anemometer wasn't broken but just disconnected. So, I reinforced it and came down almost as if on a slide down the mainsail. I am so happy that this job done and to celebrate had good meal of beef and carotts."

---------------
Reminds me of why it became the rule to have your liferaft in fixed position, one mini guy used to hoist his raft so it laid down easier (pre canting keel).

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Message from Sébastien Destremeau (Merci) received on the night of December 3 to 4 who went up the mast for a third time to fix an anemometer problem.

"After a long conversation with my brothers last night, we found that the joke had gone on long enough and we said to ourselves that we weren't going to beat about the bush.  Basically, we concluded that the best thing would be lie the boat down on its side to make the climb easier. In other words, to set the sails against the sea and let the keel hang as much as possible. This morning there were 25/30 knots, so it was not possible, but by the evening the wind dropped below 20. 

The sea was still choppy and it was going to be rough up there but the idea was to go up on the mainsail and not by the mast which is extremely dangerous to get knocked about on..

As a result, with the boat lying down it was a bit like walking on the mainsail which was above the water. It was quite impressive, but it worked very well. I was able to reach the top without hurting myself too much and discovered that the anemometer wasn't broken but just disconnected. So, I reinforced it and came down almost as if on a slide down the mainsail. I am so happy that this job done and to celebrate had good meal of beef and carotts."

---------------
Reminds me of why it became the rule to have your liferaft in fixed position, one mini guy used to hoist his raft so it laid down easier (pre canting keel).

wow is this a joke or? thought it's (mast walk) only being made for high budget advertising campaign

1 minute ago, steinbrenner said:

wow is this a joke or? thought it's (mast walk) only being made for high budget advertising campaign

I know this was a method that Pete Goss used, but he was significantly younger, and the eqpt less available...

Mast walks are old news, the diving in was new, suited up.. or with a kite :)
I walked laser masts just to have fun...or jump into friends ones... the fun of have been a dinghy sailing instructor, you can mess with boats.

After irreparable rudder damage put a stop to his quest for victory in the Vendée Globe, British sailor Alex Thomson has arrived safely in Cape Town, South Africa.

It took the skipper almost seven days to make the 1,800nm journey to port, sailing his IMOCA racing yacht with just one rudder. Thomson began the journey on Saturday (28th November), after he was forced to cease racing, 19 days into the solo, non-stop, unassisted round-the-world yacht race.

Speaking today from Cape Town, Thomson said: “I’m certainly relieved to be back on dry land but I have very mixed emotions today. I’m still coming to terms with what’s happened, and I’m obviously utterly devastated that this is how the race has ended for us.

“But, as I’ve said before, it’s in our toughest moments that we find our greatest strength. Now we have to pick ourselves up and move forwards, and I’ve no doubt that we can do that together as a team”.

The 46-year-old sailor from Hampshire was one of 33 skippers to begin the Vendée Globe from Les Sables-D’Olonne in France on 8thNovember. The ninth edition of the iconic race, which takes place just every four years, has already seen a number of boats suffer technical failures, collisions or fall victim to the tropical storms and changing weather conditions.

“Over the past week or so we’ve been reminded of just how difficult this race is. I’ve said it time and time again but there really is no sporting challenge in the world as tough as the Vendée Globe. I have such admiration for any skipper who takes on this race. My thoughts go out to those who, like us, have had their races cut short. And I wish the remaining skippers a safe passage and a good race. I’ll be watching closely.

“My arrival here in Cape Town marks our retirement from the race. To everyone who has sent messages – a huge thank you. I’ve been overwhelmed by the support we’ve received. It means so much to us, it really does.

“Right now, I’m looking forward to a shower, some sleep and getting home to my wife and my beautiful children”.

from here https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/blog/2020/12/04/alex-thomson-arrives-safely-to-cape-town-and-formally-retires-from-the-vendee-globe/

• Like 4

Just now, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Sátira. O Stanislas agora está na Classe 40, com o antigo barco da Miranda Merron.

Parabens! e boa sorte ok.png.40611f5ee902977d99adbe6aefcf3b69.png

21 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:
21 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

“But, as I’ve said before, it’s in our toughest moments that we find our greatest strength. Now we have to pick ourselves up and move forwards, and I’ve no doubt that we can do that together as a team”.

from here https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/blog/2020/12/04/alex-thomson-arrives-safely-to-cape-town-and-formally-retires-from-the-vendee-globe/

That's the most hopeful sign so far ATR will be back in the next VG: "WE" 

Been wondering about all the reflections and conversations Alex has been having this last week. 

Dee's comments on today's EN Live will be watch worthy

• Like 1

Hercynian folding, PRB and Ruyants case tied together.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-comment-expliquer-que-prb-se-soit-casse-en-deux-3e97fda6-3545-11eb-81a6-8b526d3bb254

Laurent Cordelle is therefore not at all surprised to see a certain number of damage during the Vendée Globe. “ I recall that four years ago already, on the basis of photos that I studied, the 60-foot Imoca Le Souffle du Nord for the Imagine project by Thomas Ruyant, experienced (off New Zealand, editor's note) a Hercynian folding (used in geology) which for me is exactly to my knowledge a scenario quite similar to PRB. While it has been said almost everywhere that Thomas Ruyant struck a container or a wooden log, there was no trace of impact on the area, but a Hercynian folding (deformation by compression, note) on the perfectly symmetrical deck, about forty centimeters in front of the mast and from one sheer to another. The bridge was bent. In other words, the boat was in a situation very close to that of PRB . And as the latter (PRB) was perhaps more rigid, did not have a Hercynian kink, and broke in two. "

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stief said:
23 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:
23 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

That's the most hopeful sign so far ATR will be back in the next VG: "WE" 

Been wondering about all the reflections and conversations Alex has been having this last week. 

Dee's comments on today's EN Live will be watch worthy

That is indeed a nice catch. Didnt notice it but as you say it seems likely that all the team is on the same page

Voiles et Voiliers says Seb Simon / Arkea Paprec is retiring.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Miffy said:

The Oracle billionaire used to race personally then realized he wanted to live longer and stopped. 

He did S-H once and never sailed again. He's a bit of a bitch.

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Yeah. He'll be back, but with a brand new, Hugo Boss. Clearly, the current one ain't strong enough.

I really don't think so. He might be back but the mood music was all about "this was it" before the race. 

If Hugo Boss are game for another, it won't be in a new boat. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nasil2nd said:

That is indeed a nice catch. Didnt notice it but as you say it seems likely that all the team is on the same page

Doesn't mean Alex goes again. Plenty of roles on the team other than Skipper. But does seem like good news for keeping an non-French team going.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

the mood music was all about "this was it" before the race

Yes, heard the same.  That reinforced the interview (couldn't find last week) sometime around the finish of the last, where he said it was up to his wife. Tough to read which way the winds will blow in the doldrums.

39 minutes ago, TPG said:

Seriously?  How many people died in that particular SH?  I'll admit it's really hard to be a LE fan and I'm not one, but dude....  I think that experience would seal it for me on LD offshore racing too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Seriously?  How many people died in that particular SH?  I'll admit it's really hard to be a LE fan and I'm not one, but dude....  I think that experience would seal it for me on LD offshore racing too. 

Then he probably shouldn't have gone for the ride then. How many were in that race and got back on the horse after that weren't multi billionaires able to build whatever boat they want? I thought he "hated to lose and never gave up"? At least that's what he said about the AC.

Good stuff from Servane Escoffier, Team manager and wife of Louis Burton on the Live, but no Dee today. I must have misunderstood (edit:she'll be with Conrad Humphreys)

https://youtu.be/dKuSEICOPGo

Edited by stief

Jean le Cam interview here: https://www.letelegramme.fr/voile/jean-le-cam-les-foilers-ne-sont-pas-adaptes-au-vendee-globe-video-04-12-2020-12667361.php

It must be strange to sail a solo race with two people, how are you dealing with Kevin’s presence onboard?

Well, I am used to it! When Vincent Riou picked me up in 2009, we sailed round the Horn together. This time it is the other way round and it’s all fine. I have a personal assistant – after the rescue, we spent the whole day on the phone and Skype.

The rules say Kevin is not allowed to help you, how is this working out?

My roommate manages to stay busy, he talks on the phone, he eats. Food-wise, we each do our own thing. We talk a lot, tell each other our sea stories.

“You capsized once !”

“Never did that”

Kevin didn’t remember I once capsized with Eric Tabarly so I told him the story. He tells me his Volvo stories, and they’re good.

(Note: Le Cam was teaming up with Tabarly on a trimaran. Tabarly was helming and the boat capsized. Le Cam had a proper go at him and is probably the only person that ever got to do that on a boat)

When and where are you going to drop Kevin off? Kerguelens?

Not at the Kerguelens, I am going to be milles off. I still don’t know for sure. This is being discussed with Jacques Caraes. They have something in mind, but I am not really aware of the details. We will adapt ond do as we are told.

(Note: the option of the French frigate Nivose is being discussed at the moment. She left the Kerguelens to meet “Yes We Cam” and could pick Kevin up North of the islands).

Are you keen to start racing again?

We are racing and it is going well. There are a few boats around. Since the start, the weather has not been easy, it’s low pressure after low pressure and rarely below 25 knots. We are trying to stay away from the rough weather. When you look at Louis Burton, he just goes for it. He is cutting the corner so he is doing well on the ranking, but it must be tough for him.

It must a bit surrealist to talk to the president via Skype in the roaring 40s and hear he is a “Yes We Cam” fan?

It sure is. The communication as also excellent, as if the satellite was following presidential orders. It was crazy and I would never have imagine he was a fan of me.

Even the NY Times wrote an article about the rescue…

You know, we just did what we had to do: Kevin was in deep shit, we tried to get him out and we did it.

There has been a lot of breakages on foilers since the start, what is your take on this?

I have never sailed on a foiler, so it is interested to hear what Kevin has to say on this. These boats can go really fast, but it is either on or off with them. It looks very tricky to handle. For me, they are not the right boats for the Vendee Globe, they are not adapted to what we are doing. It is a casting error. Flying around the world, only people on land can say that.

Does this mean the new foilers are too extreme, too fragile and not right for the Vendee Globe?

Yes, they are not the right boats for a Vendee Globe. At some point, you need to face things, 15 days after the start, I was in the lead, are we dreaming here? Naval architects say “my boat can go at 30 knots”. Ok, but I haven’t seen many of them go that fast. We had 10 days of reaching, and I was still 3rd! We should really ask ourselves questions, unless we just ignore it but I don’t think this is the solution.

Foil size should be reduced, or even foil should be banned then?

Non, we can’t go backwards but have to keep going forwards. Going forwards doesn’t necessarily mean you refuse the bad decisions we made.

How could you make these boats less extreme?

Talk to smart people that don’t have a big ego, put all of them round a table with a specification. And then take real decisions.

What decisions do you have in mind?

We need to take these by committee with wise people. New boats currently cost a fortune – 6 to 6.5 M€ - which means they are not accessible to young skippers or small companies. They also have a high risk. At some point, we need to face the reality and say things. Before the race, you can do all the media you want when you are Charal, Hugo Boss or Corum, they all broke.

So far, older boats with daggerboards are doing well. What are you hopes for the final ranking?

I don’t know, I am happy where I am. Malizia is sailing near us, and he is not 3 knots faster. We just did a 27 knots ride. The foiler can go at 35, but there is no guarantee how it will end at the end of the surf.

Foils in the southern oceans are useless for you?

Foilers are designed for flattish seas, without too many angle of attack variations for the foils as we still don’t really know the consequences of these. We need to have a proper think before we send people round the world with unproven and unvalidated systems. Foielrs don’t work in the storm. When you have rough seas in all directions, it is very tough. You don’t send a Formula 1 on the Paris-Dakar, they would struggle in the dunes.

Do you know what time redress you will get for the rescue?

I don’t know. I guess it will be the time I spend there. We’ll see.

• Like 18

Ugh, prepare for armies of trolls quoting JLC about how foilers are bad. 

How could you make these boats less extreme?

Talk to smart people that don’t have a big ego, put all of them round a table with a specification. And then take real decisions.

Isn't that how the IMOCA class works? Or is he accusing them all of having big egos? Kevin, who is on his boat is on the board of IMOCA. I don't think you can find many classes, at least of boats like this "of the sailors by the sailors".

https://www.imoca.org/en/imoca/about

Also interesting that he mentions Corum when its the rig that fell down, the one design rig that he was part of the group that made that decision on.

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/the-new-imoca-class-measurement

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TPG said:

Ugh, prepare for armies of trolls quoting JLC about how foilers are bad. 

Laughing. And Theta being evidence of Alex pushing too hard. And the JuanK h8ers

• Like 2

Andi trolling about Burton (???)  the Welshman on the Live at 18:44

20 minutes ago, stief said:

Good stuff from Servane Escoffier, Team manager and wife of Louis Burton on the Live,

She is great. 

Big balls them pre purchasing BankPop B4 2016 start then limited budget so minimal expenditure incl same foils and some sails going around a second time. The problems of them being out of the action at St Marlo etc.

If he can hang onto the next LP he (and Charlie) might get a big jump on the fleet starting towards the end of next week.

Really hope this skinny money team does well.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

With a brand new Manuard designed scow.

• Like 1

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

She is great. 

Big balls them pre purchasing BankPop B4 2026 start then limited budget so minimal expenditure incl same foils and some sails going around a second time. The problems of them being out of the action at St Marlo etc.

If he can hang onto the next LP he (and Charlie) might get a big jump on the fleet starting towards the end of next week.

Really hope this skinny money team does well.

Low Hanging capabilities is beating out "when's the  next train?"  

Too, her discussion about What's App and comms poses an interesting grey area for privacy monitoring rules. Wife and husband video chat vs Team Manager and Skipper chat. Will watch for changes in next editions NOR ;) 

55 minutes ago, RobbieB said:
1 hour ago, TPG said:

The big boats like his Sayonara that got into and across Bass Strait early and so relatively speaking got through unscathed. I don't recall her even incurring any sail damage....maybe his dress got torn?

It was those behind him who got smashed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

The rules say Kevin is not allowed to help you, how is this working out?

My roommate manages to stay busy, he talks on the phone, he eats. Food-wise, we each do our own thing. We talk a lot, tell each other our sea stories.

“You capsized once !”

“Never did that”

Kevin didn’t remember I once capsized with Eric Tabarly so I told him the story. He tells me his Volvo stories, and they’re good.

(Note: Le Cam was teaming up with Tabarly on a trimaran. Tabarly was helming and the boat capsized. Le Cam had a proper go at him and is probably the only person that ever got to do that on a boat)

^^^ Would love to see some videos of these conversations between Kevin and JLC.

22 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Are you keen to start racing again?

We are racing and it is going well. There are a few boats around. Since the start, the weather has not been easy, it’s low pressure after low pressure and rarely below 25 knots. We are trying to stay away from the rough weather. When you look at Louis Burton, he just goes for it. He is cutting the corner so he is doing well on the ranking, but it must be tough for him.

Maybe I am missing something, but why would the reporter think JLC hadn't resumed racing.  He has been going very well since the rescue.  In any event, great answer!

23 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

It must a bit surrealist to talk to the president via Skype in the roaring 40s and hear he is a “Yes We Cam” fan?

It sure is. The communication as also excellent, as if the satellite was following presidential orders. It was crazy and I would never have imagine he was a fan of me.

Another great answer.

And thanks for the translation!!!

You might like the take of Monsieur and Madame Le Cam on foilers in the VG, the englishtranslation barely makes it justice...

Le Cam’s take on foilers, translated from French interview:

"I've never sailed on a foiling IMOCA so it was interesting to have Kevin’s take on it. These are boats that can go very fast, but it's "on" or "off" . It doesn't look easy to deal with. For me, they are not boats made for that (VG), they're not adapted to what we're doing here. There is a casting mistake. This “Flying around the world thing”, only guys on land can talk about it."

His wife Anne is a lot less diplomatic:

"Jean was the first to sail on the Hydroptère (of SA fame), he knows foilers by heart. The youngsters can’t tell him he's the rearguard (as opposed to avant-garde ndrl). He was among the first to build very fast boats. He was Formula 40 champion, you had to see what it was like at the time (Formule 40 was the 80's ORMA of 40’ catamarans ndrl). He was a multihull sailor, he knows what it's about, but he also knows the sea. He knows what the Indian Ocean is like, four to five meter-waves, nasty, hard and broken seas, he knows it all. Just as he knows when he can launch himself into a low-pressure system off the Iberian coast."

At the beginning of the race, he was surprised to see the young sailors going around the obstacle his wife continues: "They all went around the first low-pressure system screaming ''Mommy, help!” to themselves. Nobody went in there except the two old dudes Alex Thomson and Jean... At that moment he was surprised "wait, what are those guys gonna do in the South? »

I’d love to have them around for a house party, they sound fun !

• Like 14

1 minute ago, WLIS Jibing said:

why would the reporter think JLC hadn't resumed racing.  He has been going very well since the rescue.  In any event, great answer!

The iJ will wait until the pickup has been finalized before thy can pinpoint when JLC is back on full racing. So, right now he's  kinda racing, but in delivery mode. 

• Like 2

The foilers will get their own back on Jean when they get to the Pacific.

4 minutes ago, Sebyseb said:

You might like the take of Monsieur and Madame Le Cam

I do. The partner/ partner theme in this race is becoming watchworthy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

The foilers will get their own back on Jean when they get to the Pacific.

Likely, but the naysayers will fall back to the rescue defense.

3 hours ago, CARBONINIT said:

Is there a reason why Imocas have not used a single canting T Foil?

Only two degrees of freedom allowed and you would need 3 to make a solution competitive with Dali foils.  Rudder elevators will be the next step.

42 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Most important conclusion by Jean je Cam:

Foils in the southern oceans are useless for you?

Foilers are designed for flattish seas, without too many angle of attack variations for the foils as we still don’t really know the consequences of these. We need to have a proper think before we send people round the world with unproven and unvalidated systems. Foielrs don’t work in the storm. When you have rough seas in all directions, it is very tough. You don’t send a Formula 1 on the Paris-Dakar, they would struggle in the dunes.

Same in this tweet:
975356868_JeanleCam.PNG.69e7e63f5dee02437a52e7517579c796.PNG