Jump to content

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Verdier started his career at Finot Conq, I wonder if he was on the team that designed Seguin’s boat? In that case he can lay a claim on every boat in the top 7

Don't know about Seguin's boat, but interesting he trained at the Southhampton #10981 school (like Marcus Hutchinson). Got the idea that the Institut polytechnique de Paris was *the* school for FR engineers . .  old info, based on reading about the miserable history of the Panama Canal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, stief said:

Don't know about Seguin's boat, but interesting he trained at the Southhampton school (like Marcus Hutchinson). Got the idea that the Institut polytechnique de Paris was *the* school for FR engineers . .  old info, based on reading about the miserable history of the Panama Canal.

Mmmm, not really, first i dont think he would have had the level in maths to get Polytechnique, and it doesnt make sens anyway to get Polytechnique to become naval architect. 

And he didnt like the maths sup/maths spe neither, so Southampton was more interesting for what he wanted to become

Charlie Dalin as well graduated from Southampton.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, crashtack said:

I'm guessing this was taken some time ago because Jeremie hasn't been near Chile in a while

He's on starboard, so maybe Jan 13. Good shots, though. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not "Institut polytechnique" it's "école polytechnique"", also known as "X", been there, by the way anybody knows where is Diary Sow ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Varan said:

Looks like Burton will be first back to the Northern Ocean :ph34r:

. . . .and still pushing the hardest for weeks. Well done. Looks like his approach to the wall ahead might work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Snippets from SW:

On the latest models the doldrums are more active than expected. The critical convection zones have grown and become more numerous. The skippers need to watch the evolution and the movement of these cells which are not small isolated squalls, They can quickly and unexpectedly grow to be several tens of miles or even several hundred miles.

vd.jpg.6a3a55f3ca2f2cc48dabcdc0032aa500.jpg

And the one I like... Sam's beer thirty:

I have been in touch with Miranda (Merron) we have a little ritual to get together on WhatsApp and we have both a few beers on our boats and choose Friday nights to drink a beer together on WhatsApp.

Wouldn't it be great if all her fans could join in with beer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ever since AT retired from the race I’ve transferred my hopes for a win to Boris, he is not French, speaks English and puts out some fantastic on board clips that are very personal. Go Boris!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been covered, but could someone please explain the relationship between Boris and Yacht Club de Monaco?  Is he a member?  Are they sponsoring him?   I don't see any other imocas in the VG with yacht club burgees (maybe I missed it), so thought that was interesting. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but could someone please explain the relationship between Boris and Yacht Club de Monaco?  Is he a member?  Are they sponsoring him?   I don't see any other imocas in the VG with yacht club burgees (maybe I missed it), so thought that was interesting. 

There was something near the beginning of the thread, but doubt it would be easy to find

https://yachtclass.mc/en/boris-herrmann-et-malizia-ii.html seems similar enough. Looking forward to much better answers

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stief said:

Pip anticipates getting near the spot where she started her Vendee journey 11 years ago.

Jeezus. Says when she left Uruguay for the UK  single-handed, it was her first time sailing solo at night, first ocean voyage solo. She clearly had/has  balls the size of watermelons (compliment intended in the most gender-neutral way).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cwinsor said:

Jeezus. Says when she left Uruguay for the UK  single-handed, it was her first time sailing solo at night, first ocean voyage solo. She clearly had/has  balls the size of watermelons (compliment intended in the most gender-neutral way).

Yup. If she was closer to the front, she'd easily catch the standard from Alex and Sam for The Great White English Hope ;) (to continue the fun mixing metaphors). She is tough.

More seriously, I think she finished an Ironman marathon Three Peaks Race with a broken foot (can't find the link quickly).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lat update on Sebastien Destremeau on the FR side of the VG website (DeepL translated):

This morning, after weeks of struggling valiantly against serious damage, Sebastien Destremau threw in the towel. The skipper of Merci has been heading since this morning to the port of Dunedin, in the South Island of New Zealand, or to Christchurch, which is easier to access and where he will find the equipment to repair.

Sébastien Destremau will have gone to the end of his adventure, with amazing patience and perseverance. Setting off on the race after obtaining additional time to get his boat up to speed, the skipper of Merci worked until the last hours before the start, installing a cardboard cap that was to protect him from the liquid breakers on his boat. It's well known that trouble flies in squadrons and, for the occasion, an entire fleet went over his makeshift cap. Gone with the intention of going piano, to the extent of the imperfect preparation of his Thank you, the Toulon native had not been at sea for two days that he was already climbing the mast. On his way, he encountered "routine problems" (a faulty lazy jack, flooding, electronics failure), keel hydraulics, anemometer problems and, from the southern seas, much more worrying problems: his autopilot, infernal soap opera for a solo sailor, then again his keel and steering systems, both primary and secondary. Several times, the last of the 2016-2017 Vendée Globe announced his intention to give up and, several times, he found the resources to go on. Until this Saturday, when Seb Destremau made the observation that he could no longer continue his route without putting himself in real danger in the Pacific waters.

The sailor from Toulon has been heading for New Zealand since this morning. With the race direction, which is looking after his safety, he was still hovering between Dunedin and Christchurch for refuge. A hairy depression is descending along New Zealand; there is an urgent need for shelter, but it is in Christchurch that he will find the right pontoon and shipyards.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stief said:

There was something near the beginning of the thread, but doubt it would be easy to find

https://yachtclass.mc/en/boris-herrmann-et-malizia-ii.html seems similar enough. Looking forward to much better answers

Thanks, Stief.  Very interesting. With his performance so far, and his participation in the Kevin rescue, i would say that Boris has more than earned a dinner at the Yacht Club (world renowned restaurant from what I understand) with his friends, and a few stiff drinks at the bar. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GER 100 said:

That Dashboard is just so cool. Watch Boris crossing the equator.

Cool. Charlie 1st, Louis 59 m later . . .and Boris <30 nm behind on the 2100 sked.

edit: how did you get the position dash? Can't find it from my usual link https://exocet.cloud/grafana/d/bsbc_5MGz/malizia-public-dashboard?orgId=15

found it https://exocet.cloud/grafana/dashboards

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crashtack said:

I'm guessing this was taken some time ago because Jeremie hasn't been near Chile in a while

It must be earlier than that. As soon as he rounds the Horn he is in Argentina's rescue zone and Chile would not be operating there.

I don't think the Armada de Chile would be impressed with being referred to as the Army either ! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

MERCI seems to be heading into Dunedin. Guess he doesn't fancy getting a hammering from the two systems coming in over the next couple of days. Don't blame him I don't like to see triangles on my wind gribs either! 

 

Merci.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stief said:

Pip explains for her friends the odd little jog in her track. 

 

I really hope we get to see Pip in the next Vendee.  She's an amazing story teller, clearly a fantastic sailor, and the amount of heart, energy and honesty that she brings to the game is just awesome. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tDot said:

I really hope we get to see Pip in the next Vendee.  She's an amazing story teller, clearly a fantastic sailor, and the amount of heart, energy and honesty that she brings to the game is just awesome. 

Well, she's certainly been a credit to her Pacific NW first time sailing sponsor Smartsheet. Cool if they get her on the West coast for a TransPac or Vic-Maui this summer, or at least one of her "bespoke events." 

 Her Premium members (GBP 5000) get "access to Pip, her incredible race boat, exclusive events and powerful media content."

1609899567_ScreenShot2021-01-16at4_08_39PM.thumb.png.1b4007ec7eafc363190c0a7b49f6f4b9.png

43197421_ScreenShot2021-01-16at4_09_45PM.thumb.png.f1aad9b3971e007b381cc557c0922e69.png

(aside: no idea if this is typical for sponsor commitments, or if something is unique to Pip's campaign)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

Or A few rounds in the sauna - the sweat will push it out of the pores. 

Well that'll be the doldrums then :lol::lol:

2 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but could someone please explain the relationship between Boris and Yacht Club de Monaco?  Is he a member?  Are they sponsoring him?   I don't see any other imocas in the VG with yacht club burgees (maybe I missed it), so thought that was interesting. 

He has mentioned it in the past, if I remember correctly he is a member himself but also one of his backers sponsors him using the name, (e.g its another member of the yacht club sponsors him in the name of the club) but I have no links to back that up, just my faulty memory 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The ITCZ does not look to very light right now. Charlie playing the inside (easterly) line gives him a bit of an edge over Louis and looking ahead over the next nine to twelve hours has him with a bit better pressure and angle.

vendeeapivia.JPG

vendeebureau.JPG

vendeetrackup.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cortosam said:

Charlie Dalin as well graduated from Southampton.

Careful, there are two different Naval Architecture courses in Southampton:

  • What used to be called Southampton Institute and now Solent University. This is a BEng course (i.e. 3 years), some would say equivalent to a French BTS degree, focused on small yachts. Most of the French naval architects from the 90s came from there.
  • University of Southampton. This is a 4 year MEng course, pretty much equivalent to a French Diplôme d'Ingénieur. This is not focused on yachts;
  • The University of Southampton also offers MSc courses, which is a 1 year course for people that already have a BEng or people that come from other universities and want to specialise in their last year of their Masters degree.

Charlie Dalin is a graduate from the University of Southampton MEng course.

Guillaume Verdier did the Solent Uni course, but completed it with a 4th MSc year at the University of Southampton.

 

In France, the most famous Naval Architecture course is at ENSTA Bretagne (former ENSIETA) in Brest. You have to do two years of Prep in maths and physics first, then pass a competitive exam (Mines-Ponts) and depending on your ranking you may or may not get in.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

The ITCZ does not look to very light right now. Charlie playing the inside (easterly) line gives him a bit of an edge over Louis and looking ahead over the next nine to twelve hours has him with a bit better pressure and angle.

Thanks again Hitch. Sorry for the question, but Mark 0 =  . . . somewhere about 400 nm ahead? Thought it was set for Les Sables, but confused by DOG (distance over ground)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks again Hitch. Sorry for the question, but Mark 0 =  . . . somewhere about 400 nm ahead? Thought it was set for Les Sables, but confused by DOG (distance over ground)

Oops.  My bad.  Did not advance the mark for track update! Good catch.  Tried to edit, but Sailing Anarchy so, you know.  Here is the corrected.

vendeetrackup.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tDot said:

I really hope we get to see Pip in the next Vendee.  She's an amazing story teller, clearly a fantastic sailor, and the amount of heart, energy and honesty that she brings to the game is just awesome. 

Definitely someone I'd enjoy sitting down and having a chat with. Plucky, capable, indefatigable. Go Pip GO!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Did not advance the mark for track update!

I get confused easily, so first assumption is I misread. Based on too much experience.

Check, please, for my illiterate Expedition translation?

"MCoQ at the 2100 sked sailed north over the ground at 25ºT, covering 415.1 nm at an average speed of 13.3 kts (which will bring her 395nm closer to her actual goal at Les Sables at an average of 16.52 kts). She still has 3346.01 nm to go which is 111.05 nm more than Apivia.  MCoQ end up loses 14.82 nm  against Apivia, whereas Bureau actually gains 106.22 nm."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, stief said:

I get confused easily, so first assumption is I misread. Based on too much experience.

Check, please, for my illiterate Expedition translation?

"MCoQ at the 2100 sked sailed north over the ground at 25ºT, covering 415.1 nm at an average speed of 13.3 kts (which will bring her 395nm closer to her actual goal at Les Sables at an average of 16.52 kts). She still has 3346.01 nm to go which is 111.05 nm more than Apivia.  MCoQ end up loses 14.82 nm  against Apivia, whereas Bureau actually gains 106.22 nm."

You are really on the ball @stief.  I had an additional poll in for Bureau which the others did not have (I need to stop multitasking!).  My final submission!

 

vendeetrackup.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Sorry if this has been covered, but could someone please explain the relationship between Boris and Yacht Club de Monaco?  Is he a member?  Are they sponsoring him?   I don't see any other imocas in the VG with yacht club burgees (maybe I missed it), so thought that was interesting. 

 

Pierre Casiraghi, son of Caroline of Monaco (sister of  Prince of Monaco Albert), is founder of Team Maliza (Seaexplorer), president of the YC Monaco and and co-skipper of the boat at multi-handed events. The boat was bought by a German businessman working in real estate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yl75 said:

It's not "Institut polytechnique" it's "école polytechnique"", also known as "X", been there, by the way anybody knows where is Diary Sow ?

Weird, the girl properly vanished 3 days ago....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Careful, there are two different Naval Architecture courses in Southampton:

  • What used to be called Southampton Institute and now Solent University. This is a BEng course (i.e. 3 years), some would say equivalent to a French BTS degree, focused on small yachts. Most of the French naval architects from the 90s came from there.
  • University of Southampton. This is a 4 year MEng course, pretty much equivalent to a French Diplôme d'Ingénieur. This is not focused on yachts;
  • The University of Southampton also offers MSc courses, which is a 1 year course for people that already have a BEng or people that come from other universities and want to specialise in their last year of their Masters degree.

Charlie Dalin is a graduate from the University of Southampton MEng course.

Guillaume Verdier did the Solent Uni course, but completed it with a 4th MSc year at the University of Southampton.

 

In France, the most famous Naval Architecture course is at ENSTA Bretagne (former ENSIETA) in Brest. You have to do two years of Prep in maths and physics first, then pass a competitive exam (Mines-Ponts) and depending on your ranking you may or may not get in.

Heard Centrale Nantes with the double degree is not bad as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

0800 UTC: It's not over yet. Thomas Ruyant has been the fastest and closed the gap to some extend. Let's see @1100 how it goes.  In the meantime, use the Windy plugin, switch between GFS and ECWMF Models, check out the Satelite, Rain, thunder or Clouds Layer. It is so cool, to have access to all this information so easily. Check Boris Dashboard if he is still going nicely or parked up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, stief said:

Don't know about Seguin's boat, but interesting he trained at the Southhampton #10981 school (like Marcus Hutchinson). Got the idea that the Institut polytechnique de Paris was *the* school for FR engineers . .  old info, based on reading about the miserable history of the Panama Canal.

Polytechnique is the school for French bureaucrats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Polytechnique is the school for French bureaucrats!

For many things in fact... 

A lot in finance these years, but also some in pure science research

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Miranda just about to pass Cap Horn.........Clement not far behind.  Only Alexia and Ari racing to go ,with Sam leading them  ...Sebastien heading from off Dunedin to Christchurch in a doable windspeed 10-15k but the system is building. Then the Southern Ocean will be free of Vendee sailors and their boats..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GER 100 said:

0800 UTC: It's not over yet. Thomas Ruyant has been the fastest and closed the gap to some extend. Let's see @1100 how it goes.  In the meantime, use the Windy plugin, switch between GFS and ECWMF Models, check out the Satelite, Rain, thunder or Clouds Layer. It is so cool, to have access to all this information so easily. Check Boris Dashboard if he is still going nicely or parked up.

1100 UTC: Still not over yet. At least for Boris, who is in a really light patch for quite some time. His repositioning to the west might not pay off as expected. Thomas gained more miles and is now just 4 miles behind 3rd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yl75 said:

For many things in fact... 

A lot in finance these years, but also some in pure science research

Yes, but they are more mathematicians than engineers and not many lower themselves to do some actual engineering...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GER 100 said:

1100 UTC: Still not over yet. At least for Boris, who is in a really light patch for quite some time. His repositioning to the west might not pay off as expected. Thomas gained more miles and is now just 4 miles behind 3rd.

1700 UTC:  still in the doldrums, Seaexplorer has been the slowest boat, crawling along the whole day at 5 kts... The more experienced and wisely of you have taken a day off the thread, ;-) This will not be done until tomorrow. LinkedOut in 3rd, also Yannick has gained a lot on Boris. While I write this, Seaexploirer is getting more wind, hopefully not just a squall...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking ahead  looks like another big park up in a couple of days time with a difficult transition onto some big downwind conditions. Looks pretty complicated,  but a fair chunk of it on starboard which would help CD and TR

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boris comments on the doldrums. "I totally underestimated them this time." Hoping his prayers will be answered. Doesn't know if it will be over in 6, 12, or 24 hrs.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pip worried about "boat breaking conditions." (some keel controls and reaching pole broken). Goal now is to finish.
What a contrast with Herrmann's conditions.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Miranda Merron had a fairly smooth Cape crossing, despite the islands.

[aside] Several years ago I read that Prince Philip aboard Brittania had such a calm rounding that he ordered a launch and rowed around the Horn. Haven't been able to find the citation since. Anyone recall that story or better yet, have a source? TIA

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BrickTopHarry said:

Have any previous Vendee Globe had anything remotely like this pack of 7 or so boats within 100nm of the lead going up the final leg?

"Unprecedented" (for the VG) is what I keep hearing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Herrmann's playbook for the finish: very stable routes, both GFS and ECMWF. "Fantastic outlook, really."

Lots of good benchmarks for validating routing projections.

"9d 23 hrs" GFS routing to finish (he chuckles)
-"huge arc in the west, passing the Azores"
-"lot of downwind running, basically 4 days reaching, 4 days running and a little bit in between."
-"It's speed race until the Azores high, 
-"then a strategic play with the downwind run hooking into cold fronts and low pressures where you have a lot of options where you can gybe earlier or later, probably 5 - 10"
-"you can also negotiate different strategies around the Azores and Finistiere with the wind shadows."

In German, different vid. Sounds like he's hearing "please don't let the foreigner win"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stief said:

In German, different vid. Sounds like he's hearing "please don't let the foreigner win"

Here is the transcript of his words, translated:

"Yes, some people are already getting a bit excited. Some of the French - by the way, I find it extremely remarkable - they contact me via WhatsApp and wish me that I should win, accelerate, go all the way to the front. Yes, also congratulations to the position so far, to the race so far, from some of the French sailing legends and the best, also favorites from this Vendee Globe, which are now further behind due to misfortunes.

And I think they all have a little bit of hope that if it is not themselves who win, then please let the foreigner win who is not from around their own camp, not the direct competitor who lives in the neighboring street, who you see every day. Not a Frenchman but an international one. Of course, this would also help the race to gain a bit more international profile. In the 30 years of history of the Vendee Globe, no non-Frenchman has ever managed to win this race.

Nevertheless, I am superstitious - I don't want to speculate about victory myself, it's not on the agenda. But the reactions of French colleagues are sometimes touching, of course motivating and quite remarkable."

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Uh-Oh...

Strange trajectory for Yannck Bestaven; I thought he was out of the Doldrums, maybe not. Otherwise, is something wrong?

 

image.png.649df2b634f53fecb8ac91bab887777a.png

Very weird, he gave away some miles to to position himeslf east (better angle at the exit) and then suddenly gives away this hard earned investment for no reason? I think that he either broke something or found a very nasty squall!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tDot said:

What overlay did you select from Windy?  I've not seen a satellite graphic with colour like that. Is the colour representing rain.

 Satellite view, infra+ option on the slider, temperature (https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-satellite?satellite,4.204,-32.498,6,m:dHMafoS)

(I haven't tried to use the "500mb stuff" that someone mentioned a few days ago as also being very useful for  finding routes through the doldrums)

906714562_ScreenShot2021-01-17at4_34_45PM.thumb.png.71dae593b1d62caa62e5605909addd2a.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stief, you are doing a great lot of work and a great favor for all of us. Keep it up !

Thanks

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GER 100 said:

Here is the transcript of his words, translated:

"Yes, some people are already getting a bit excited. Some of the French - by the way, I find it extremely remarkable - they contact me via WhatsApp and wish me that I should win, accelerate, go all the way to the front. Yes, also congratulations to the position so far, to the race so far, from some of the French sailing legends and the best, also favorites from this Vendee Globe, which are now further behind due to misfortunes.

And I think they all have a little bit of hope that if it is not themselves who win, then please let the foreigner win who is not from around their own camp, not the direct competitor who lives in the neighboring street, who you see every day. Not a Frenchman but an international one. Of course, this would also help the race to gain a bit more international profile. In the 30 years of history of the Vendee Globe, no non-Frenchman has ever managed to win this race.

Nevertheless, I am superstitious - I don't want to speculate about victory myself, it's not on the agenda. But the reactions of French colleagues are sometimes touching, of course motivating and quite remarkable."

 

I think that lot of Frenchmen are rooting for him. It is funny because he appears more restrained in his sailing than the French guys, yet he's in a position to win.

This is the first time the Vendée Globe finishes with many boats in a position to win, this is going to be painful for the boats and the skippers. I used to do some club level competitive rowing and remember when 500m from the finish boats are perfectly level and you start to think "this is going to hurt badly" as you have been already digging deep and know well that the last big push 200m from the finish will determine the winner, I think that this is how they feel. The French guys are going to take risks and finish at "wide open throttle", he needs to keep up, I suspect that his boat is in a better state than others' so we might see him finish ahead after others broke their boats in the last sprint!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

The French guys are going to take risks and finish at "wide open throttle", he needs to keep up, I suspect that his boat is in a better state than others' so we might see him finish ahead after others broke their boats in the last sprint!

Suspect that's true for all, and hate seeing any race end that way--there have been too many. Still, there will be 32 losers (not counting all those who lost before the start), and all their teams, families, and fans. 1000s.

Besides, the one winner knows better than anyone just how lucky he or she has been :P

So, much more rewarding to appreciate all the struggles. (IMHO, unless you've lost many many times, you can never 'deserve' to win.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 4:03 AM, yl75 said:

Verdier has six boats in the top seven, not too bad !

The 4 quasi sisterships from 2016 (all with their original foils except for Boris)

The 2 new 2020 boats (the only 2 from him on this edition)

And this shows what an amazing performance Damien is putting with his 2007 Finot Conq.

 

Agree..... Damien is not mentioned much and deserves to be

 

On 1/17/2021 at 4:44 AM, JL92S said:

Verdier started his career at Finot Conq, I wonder if he was on the team that designed Seguin’s boat? In that case he can lay a claim on every boat in the top 7

Interesting

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stief said:

Suspect that's true for all, and hate seeing any race end that way--there have been too many. Still, there will be 32 losers (not counting all those who lost before the start), and all their teams, families, and fans. 1000s.

Besides, the one winner knows better than anyone just how lucky he or she has been :P

So, much more rewarding to appreciate all the struggles. (IMHO, unless you've lost many many times, you can never 'deserve' to win.)

I said break their boats but that was a bit hyperbolic, more likely breaking stuff and limping to the finish than "doing a Kevin".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Panoramix said:

I think that lot of Frenchmen are rooting for him. It is funny because he appears more restrained in his sailing than the French guys, yet he's in a position to win.

This is the first time the Vendée Globe finishes with many boats in a position to win, this is going to be painful for the boats and the skippers. I used to do some club level competitive rowing and remember when 500m from the finish boats are perfectly level and you start to think "this is going to hurt badly" as you have been already digging deep and know well that the last big push 200m from the finish will determine the winner, I think that this is how they feel. The French guys are going to take risks and finish at "wide open throttle", he needs to keep up, I suspect that his boat is in a better state than others' so we might see him finish ahead after others broke their boats in the last sprint!

I dont know.

I think was Bestaven was really unlucky in this Vendée, Boris was too conservative in the race to attract me any favour.

You have to win with "panache" or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that view Hitch. WAG: No lead change, but DTL down to 4. (Doubt Louis can make up 10.4 nm DTL, when Apivia has the 'inside track' and only slows for a few hours out of the past 7) :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Apivia extended by 10 over Bureau, and Damien now on the ranking podium. Well done. Opposite to my guess.

Boris really did get trapped. Now ranked 7. Ouch. 

Good on Pip making it onto the line ahead of the 3 western chasers, but ridge not looking good for them in the days ahead. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stief said:

Great shot! Thank you.

 

OK, now I will play the dumb one and ask the question that everybody else knows how to answer... except me.

How do you overlay the Windy.com picture and the tracks of the IMOCAs? I can see the windy.com infra red picture as above. I can see the tracks on the Vendée Globe website, but not both together.

Please enlighten me.

Thank you!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Laurent said:

OK, now I will play the dumb one and ask the question that everybody else knows how to answer... except me.

How do you overlay the Windy.com picture and the tracks of the IMOCAs? I can see the windy.com infra red picture as above. I can see the tracks on the Vendée Globe website, but not both together.

Please enlighten me.

Just go to https://www.windy.com/plugins and load the Regadata plugin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 6:45 AM, stief said:

Thanks

(had just finished doing the same - yours is better.

@staysail It's a pain - and sometimes the 'payoff' is a waste of time or a sneer - having to split it into 4 parts and paste the overlapping translations, trim out the headings, work around the 5000 char limit in the free gtrans and deepl. Try it sometime). 

Was worth the effort to find not much new, other than the comment about the media landscape and a Patagonia / Antarctica sailor

Yea he runs charters to the Antarctic Peninsula with a Cigale 16 (spelling?). Great guy on the circuit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stief said:

Boris comments on the doldrums. "I totally underestimated them this time." Hoping his prayers will be answered. Doesn't know if it will be over in 6, 12, or 24 hrs.

Ouch, looks like worst case scenario right now. It's a real pain to look at his dashboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites