• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Looking at Herrmann's dashboard I noticed he had one slow down that sticks out, from 20kn consistently outside gybes to 10kn, around 20:00. TWA and TWS are constant through the slowdown.AWA goes to 100 to 150. There is a change in TWD at the same time, heel angle goes down to 0, it looks like 10 when his boat is fully powered. Water temp, I am not kidding, drops suddenly half a degree and recovers most of it as speed picks up, There's also an air temp drop followed by a recovery. He appears to be on port before and after. Port generator output drops to 0, starboard runner drops 1t, foil load drops 4t. To sum it up, a wind shift results in Herrmann sailing de-powered for about an hour. May have cost him 10nm or half an hour, huge given how tight the podium is. Sorry if I missed someone else's explanation, the flow of comments is fast.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, hydrobalus said:

Looking at Herrmann's dashboard I noticed he had one slow down that sticks out, from 20kn consistently outside gybes to 10kn, around 20:00. TWA and TWS are constant through the slowdown.AWA goes to 100 to 150. There is a change in TWD at the same time, heel angle goes down to 0, it looks like 10 when his boat is fully powered. Water temp, I am not kidding, drops suddenly half a degree and recovers most of it as speed picks up, There's also an air temp drop followed by a recovery. He appears to be on port before and after. Port generator output drops to 0, starboard runner drops 1t, foil load drops 4t. To sum it up, a wind shift results in Herrmann sailing de-powered for about an hour. May have cost him 10nm or half an hour, huge given how tight the podium is. Sorry if I missed someone else's explanation, the flow of comments is fast.

Well spotted. J2-load is also up and bobstay a flatliner. Maybe a very time consuming sailchange...

52 minutes ago, Laurent said:

During the daily French live show, another small funny nuggets from Maximue Sorel, currently 10th, with Armel Tripon on L'Occitane. L'Occitane is a brand of nature oriented cosmetics, soaps, etc.

"We have a very strong LP system arriving on us, at the same time than when we get to the line. I am wondering if we should slow down to let it pass in front. But I have Armel right behind me, and sailing really fast.

I am starting to smell lavender... "

I don't think Tripon will catch Sorel.  He's consistently sailing 1.5 - 2 kts faster, but Sorel is soaking it down much better.  Tripon is sailing steeper angles.  Check out the 6-hour hitch he took recently on port, while Sorel never gybed.  Tripon looks great on raw speed vs. Sorel, but not so great on average VMG, unless the wind comes forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

10 minutes between Charlie and Boris .. still fully open !

This is just insane ... I mean 10 minutes. On the scale of a circumnavigation of the globe. They should level out the podium by quarter of an hour or so.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, GER 100 said:

This is just insane ... I mean 10 minutes. On the scale of a circumnavigation of the globe. They should level out the podium by quarter of an hour or so.

Whoever wins, this race has been great advertising for the vendee, imoca and sailing in general.

Phantastic show.

• Like 1

(aside). Good stuff from Pip

I am a great believer in the acknowledgement and ownerships of our mistakes. This is how we learn and we move forwards and I know that the last two weeks I have not sailed tactically well. I made poor decisions and this has had a big impact on my race result. All of this is banked, I've made notes about what I did when and I will be keen to sit down with a couple of people on my return and analyse the problems gaining an external opinion on what I could have done and learning from this experience so I will not make the same mistakes again. Because we will be back in 2024.

more in a much longer article at https://mailchi.mp/2d1f70f85936/pip-hare-vendee-globe-campaign

• Like 3

On equipe TV, they just said that after passing the line Charlie will leave his boat outside and go onshore in a commitee boat (with a line of welcome people on the jetty).

But he will go back on his boat tomorrow morning, and the first 4 or 5 boats should come in a "parade" tomorow morning through the channel at the same time (in the official win order I guess).

The wheather should be quite shitty tomorrow morning but that should make a good show nonetheless !

• Like 3

Weather in the next 9 hours is good for Yannick. He is the only one in the top 5 that I see finishing without a jibe and with good strong winds all the way to the line.

• Like 1

Last gybe for Dalin towards the finish just now. 22 nm / 18 kts = 1 hr and a bit sailing remaining for line honors.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Weather in the next 9 hours is good for Yannick. He is the only one in the top 5 that I see finishing without a jibe and with good strong winds all the way to the line.

Looks to me like the winner. He can finish now within his time allowance.

4 minutes ago, Varan said:

Dang it! I have a meeting in a few minutes. Screw it. This seems more important than work at the moment. Last gybe for Charlie. Finish line is just ahead. 

I pushed a Zoom meeting from 1pm to 3 pm. Just told them I was not available. 

• Like 2
Just now, Hitchhiker said:

My you tube says 28 mins again!!?? anyone else?

Yup. My cruising friends are going to be pissed with the links I sent them earlier today.

38 m  · 

Vendée Globe
ETA arrivées et classement selon position à 17:30
Routage Arôme + MyOcean IBI
ETA Les Sables-d’Olonne
1. Charlie le 27 à 20:32
2. Louis le 28 à 00:00
3. Boris le 28 à 01:56
4. Thomas le 28 à 02:58
5. Yannick le 28 à 03:55
Classement Vendée Globe
1. Yannick
2. Boris à 02:16
3. Charlie à 02:52
4. Louis à 06:20
5. Thomas à 09:59
1 minute ago, Varan said:

It's back to watching dots jump around every 5 minutes. 

And flipping back and forth between the dashboard, tracker, here, with the FR for background sound.

Still, not as tense as the APs in the last big AC race.

• Like 1

Just don't see how Boris can save his time on Charlie, especially if he has to throw in a gybe. Yannick looks far enough North to avoid a gybe, with the breeze going more South over the next few hours.

Further Distance Covered in 24 Hours[edit]

Edition Year Skipper Boat Name nautical miles/24h
1 1989–1990 Titouan Lamazou Écureuil d'Aquitaine II 304
2 1992–1993 Alain Gautier Bagages Superior 339
3 1996–1997 Yves Parlier Aquitaine Innovations 374
4 2000–2001 Dominique Wavre Union bancaire privée 430
5 2004–2005 Roland Jourdain Sill et Veolia 439
6 2008–2009 Michel Desjoyeaux Foncia 466
7 2012–2013 François Gabart Macif 534
8 2016–2017 Alex Thomson Hugo Boss 536
9 2020–2021 TBC    

For this edition, unless Charal does something extraordinary, the 24 hour record will likely remain Ruyant at 515.3 nm, first time lower. Will we remember this as a 2020 thing?

12 minutes ago, cms said:

1. Charlie le 27 à 20:32

Merde. I have a Zoom meeting with friends at 20:30. I think I will be a bit late :rolleyes:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snowden said:

This finish line doesn't look fun. At 20 knots you have 3 minutes before you cover 1NM and are on the beach

The finish line has been extended south and has a length of 1,9 NM currently.

image.thumb.png.0c0a1ed174e7f8d147821b6bf2cdb8a4.png

• Like 2
Just now, Knut Grotzki said:

thats why it is called shore crew

I resemble that remark! Extra points for Charlie if he can get Apivia on the beach right below the awesome Sand Art we saw earlier.

59 minutes ago, GER 100 said:

And here is the german live, to be started at 1900 CET. Disclaimer: Posted several times here, so just for your convenience.

https://www.ndr.de/sport/mehr_sport/Vendee-Globe-Das-Finale-gleich-im-Livestream,segeln1178.html

Commentator is Tim Kröger

Looks like the webpage is down...there seem to be a few people wanting to watch :D

back up, sorry

8 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

Charlie and Louis will diembark on ribs for a press conference on land, and will ba back on their boats for the parade in the night.

Yes, and for those who do not know the area, this is due to the tide. IMOCA with their huge draft can go in and out of Sables d'Olonne harbour only around high tide. I heard on Vendée TV that it will not be before 1:00AM that they can sail in.

4 minutes ago, Snowden said:

still looks like a 'flare through the kite' job

He will have shore crew via RHIB coming onboard to help him, no worries

Just now, Herman said:

He will have shore crew via RHIB coming onboard to help him, no worries

That will be interesting at 18 knots boat speed and 2 meter waves...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SaltyPuppy said:

Looks like the webpage is down...there seem to be a few people wanting to watch :D

back up, sorry

Well we have heard Tim Kroegers vita already - hope they get the video going. The rest is secondary

9 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Yes, and for those who do not know the area, this is due to the tide. IMOCA with their huge draft can go in and out of Sables d'Olonne harbour only around high tide. I heard on Vendée TV that it will not be before 1:00AM that they can sail in.

Not only due to the tide, on l'Equipe TV, they said Charlie will go back tomorow morning on his boat, and the 4 or 5 first boats should enter the Harbour channel in a parade (and in the official win order I presume).

• Like 1

Argh!

Are we there yet?!

And a very big THANK YOU! to all of you feeding this thread with insight and inside info anf of course the routing! :) 

• Like 1

A procession of 5 IMOCAs from 4.30 am Thursday 28 January
just as there has never been a finish with next to no public to welcome the skippers back into the Channel, there will be an unprecedented wait for four other skippers to finish before the actual podium is decided. 

Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer - Yacht Club de Monaco) is scheduled between midnight and 0100hrs UTC on the finish line, Thomas Ruyant (LinkedOut) and Yannick Bestaven (Maître CoQ IV) between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. 

Only after Bestaven finishes will the sums be done to compute who will be crowned the winner of the Vendée Globe according to the bonuses established by the International Jury of the Vendée Globe following the rescue of Kevin Escoffier, 10hrs 15mins, for Yannick Bestaven  and six hours for Boris Herrmann.

Then five IMOCAs will all enter the legnedary channel before 5:30 am under a grandiose fireworks display!

The reception of 300 volunteers and Les Sablais locals on their balconies along the channel and the music for the finishers will resonate in the heart of the Vendée town. 

Source

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Bestaven by 30 minutes on corrected time. Any takers?

Yes, I believe that too.

With 160 miles out at 1900 UTC, he has 10:15 h to cover that. Best angle and wind that will probably remain in direction and speed, > 16 knots VMG seems absolutely doable.

9 minutes ago, stief said:

Looks like the wind is dropping quite a bit and is turning south... Otherwise we can't complain - he has been really sending it and pushing the boat hard over the day. Might be the fuckup earlier in the morning might cost him dearly.

1 minute ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

I'm telling you, cross the line, park it on the beach and walk to the nearest bar!

18:00 curfew, gonna be an expensive trip ashore if the gendarmes catch you!

6 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

HIs nav lights have got water in them and aren't working!

True? Charlie wo lights, Louis has no AIS. Quite scary, considering Charlies route near Finisterre.

5 minutes ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

I'm telling you, cross the line, park it on the beach and walk to the nearest bar!

It was, somewhat in jest. Either way, the guy deserves a beer, and I hope the Shore Crew are right in there too!