• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

Boris at 92 miles and 16 kts (by latest tracker) is ... 5.76 hrs, but he'll have a gybe to do, and that'll add a few extra miles.

Will be tough. He would need current and wind to cooperate

I guess there's no way Burton will do better than 4th, unless Yannick or Boris has a problem...  Hopefully he can be content with that.  He sailed a great race.

Congrats for line honours. Exceptional!

5 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

In the flyover pics from near Cape Horn they were visible too

Not that close, and he did not dare to cut them in the last sprint...
He was my race favourite, and maybe he will win :)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LeoV said:

Not that close, and he did not dare to cut them in the last sprint...
He was my race favourite, and maybe he will win :)

In the live video feed you can see the foil tip moving vertically as it loads and unloads through the waves. I had Charlie and Thomas as my top two, part of the Mini Alumni 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, haribo said:

8 tons on bobstay? speed 7kn something brocken?

5 minutes ago, stief said:

Looks like it. merde merde merde. 20 mins so far.

3 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Who?

Boris... probably dropped the stick ;)

https://exocet.cloud/grafana/d/bsbc_5MGz/malizia-public-dashboard?orgId=15&from=now-24h&to=now&theme=dark&kiosk&refresh=5m

• Like 1
Just now, haribo said:

boris,

the true wind direktion moved at the same moment 20° in best case only the windvane is broken?

Yeah he'll get back to you in a few. 

5 minutes ago, stief said:

No reaction from Will Harris on the Live yet. Hope it's just a glitch in the Malizia Matrix.

Has he said anything on the live recently?  He may have slipped out if there's an issue to deal with.

Update: wait, there he is.

6 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

If that was the case the loads would have went to zero once it broke. 

They have not. 

Chill out. 

If the halyard lock of the zero broke and the sail is in the piss....

1 minute ago, trimfast said:

As much as I understand the times for redress for the rescue, the image they played of the tracker kind of makes me feel like this should still go to Charlie.

Unless Le Cam makes a miracle comeback :blink:. But I do hope Charlie can keep his win.

1 minute ago, DtM said:

Or keeping quiet for the final run home.

What advantage could that give him? Decisions have been made.

Good news is that Will and Dee are calmly discussing the race and still excited about Herrmann's chances, and no bad news elsewhere.

So, no news is good news. (I hope)

Just now, stief said:

Good news is that Will and Dee are calmly discussing the race, and nothing elsewhere.

So, no news is good news. (I hope)

Yea, if there's a problem with Boris, either they haven't told Will, or he's keeping it under his hat.

2 minutes ago, JeronimoII said:

all data lost on Boris dashboard. Either connection problem, or major fuck up

Perhaps just crashed under the weight of refreshes from concerned SA readers? ;)

Hope he’s OK and can get back up to speed promptly though. Can’t imagine how devastating it would be to have a serious issue so close to the finish.  

• Like 2

Boris has major problems, dashboard finally reloaded and speed way down and loads way down.

3 minutes ago, haribo said:

half an our, slow speed no load at stb runner, chaos at bobstag, but strait on curse 25°

than nothing, this is not

dashbord270121.png

Speared a whale? Hopefully not another boat.

Just now, micha571 said:

German TV coverage says Boris has hit a fishing boat...

fuck

Just now, micha571 said:

Fuck. 

So close to the finish. 

Hope all are safe, this is absolutely sickening 

4 minutes ago, Varan said:

Speared a whale? Hopefully not another boat.

The fact he’s continued making way at 6-8kn with no deviation from course gives hope it’s not a serious collision. But definitely something wrong. :(

ETA - posted before I saw the updates about a fishing boat. Shit. 

5 minutes ago, micha571 said:

Any chance of mistranslation? 'Has hit or 'might have hit'?

3 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

WTF!!??

Hang on. How is German TV coverage getting that news?  

@micha571, Just read.

They only said on the german news livestream that Boris has send a short message that he did hit a fishing boat. Only that, no more details.

Lots of orange fishing boat icons out there. And as noted earlier, for some reason no AIS from the yachts.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 2.42.37 PM.png

Just now, k-f-u said:

"rammed" (literaly) a fishing boat, port foil damaged, Boris ok, tries to get to the finish

https://www.ndr.de/sport/mehr_sport/Nacht-der-Entscheidung-Vendee-Globe-jetzt-live,segeln1178.html

Whew--he's OK. Thanks for that, but oh merde. Such sad news for such a great effort.

Really hope it was a fishing boat that's OK, but from a country far, far, away.

Boris now seems to be getting 5 min interval position updates, despite being outside the 60nm bubble. 

Still tracking on previous course at 7.5kn - maybe foil or rig damage and he’s had to depower?

Whatever’s happened, how bloody cruel. Just when you thought you’d seen it all in this race... :o

2 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Hang on. How is German TV coverage getting that news?  

I guess cause Boris is German, not difficult IMO

His data shows that he changed course all of a sudden and then continued slowly in the right direction....

German TV-comment said they are not sure because they didn't have detailed infos from Boris...shhh...fffu....

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-27 um 21.35.29.png

1 minute ago, stief said:

Whew--he's OK. Thanks for that, but oh merde. Such sad news for such a great effort.

Really hope it was a fishing boat that's OK, but from a country far, far, away.

European union is unravelling!

Someone call these commentators and alert them, for heaven's sake they are going on  and on

• Like 1

Der Hamburger Skipper hat möglicherweise ein Fischerboot gerammt, ein Foil, also einer der Tragflügel, soll defekt sein. Er scheint unversehrt, hat aber massiv an Geschwindigkeit verloren.

The skipper from Hamburg has probably hit a fishing boat. A foil should be broken. He seems unhurt, but has a major speedlos

That's all at the moment.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, yl75 said:

Holy shit ! Any more details ?

the commentators in the livestream said: "rammed" (literaly) a fishing boat, port foil damaged, Boris ok, tries to get to the finish.

But a few minutes later, they are reluctant to speculate since they don't have any official info from the team. But sounded like they got a whatsapp - probably directly from Boris. In the EN live a couple of days ago, they were joking how active Boris still is in the whatsapp groups.

https://www.ndr.de/sport/mehr_sport/Nacht-der-Entscheidung-Vendee-Globe-jetzt-live,segeln1178.html

8 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

"rammed" (literaly) a fishing boat, port foil damaged, Boris ok, tries to get to the finish

I speak some german so the translation:

9:27 pm
An obvious drama involving Boris Herrmann!
The Hamburg skipper may have rammed a fishing boat. He seems uninjured, but has lost speed massively.

Unf@cking believable. Hope everyone is okay, or that it was a fishing net. Seems likely since he is continuing on and not rendering assistance. 

Edit... maybe a big ass fishing boat that didn't even feel it.

At 1950hrs UTC this evening while racing in third place, some 90 miles from the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne German skipper Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer-Yacht Club de Monaco) was in collision with a fishing boat. He reports damage to his starboard foil and some other damage but he is unharmed and has secured the boat and is proceeding towards the finish line at reduced speed.