• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

":A 2h18 heure française, le team PRB a été informé du sauvetage de Kevin Escoffier par Jean Le Cam. " Kevin has been rescued.  

Give it a rest chaps. HB was another attempt at evolution, and they should be applauded for spending a fuck ton of money to do so. If you want to try and be innovative you run the risk of breakages al

VG sailors at sea in the rough A translation: JLC: Damien can you receive me ? DS: Yes Jean I can (garbled)... I don't think you're receiving me that well but I receive you very well. JL

Posted Images

Unf@cking believable. Hope everyone is okay, or that it was a fishing net. Seems likely since he is continuing on and not rendering assistance. 

Edit... maybe a big ass fishing boat that didn't even feel it.

At 1950hrs UTC this evening while racing in third place, some 90 miles from the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne German skipper Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer-Yacht Club de Monaco) was in collision with a fishing boat. He reports damage to his starboard foil and some other damage but he is unharmed and has secured the boat and is proceeding towards the finish line at reduced speed.

1 minute ago, maxfunner said:

I speak some german so the translation:

9:27 pm
An obvious a drama involving Boris Herrmann!
The Hamburg skipper may have rammed a fishing boat. He seems uninjured, but has lost speed massively.

Was about to post the same. "may" is much less certain, but the the dashboard . . . 

We'll see if Boris Hermann can still make the line in time to be in front of Louis Burton... even if Hermann can do only 7-10 kts Louis needs to cross the line about 45 - 60 nm ahead... Louis better keep pushing

10 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Someone call these commentators and alert them, for heaven's sake they are going on  and on

Will is the Co Skipper. He was aware, but not saying anything til confirmation came through.  Alex put Will in a bad spot and asked for a quote and Dee shut him down, the are still assessing the situation so how about calming down and allowing the team to make sure both Boris, the boat and the fishing boat are all right before we get updates.

I guess if Yannick finishes fast enough, at least this won't have cost Boris the overall win.  And if Boris can get in within 6 hours of Burton, it won't cost him a podium.  It just might cost him the difference between second and third on Dalin.  And that might have been iffy anyway...  It's possible he would have been third regardless.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just now, JoeBleaux said:

Boris at 20knts now?

You're seeing the speed on the main tracker, from 16:30 UTC...  Pre-incident.  The 5-minute update is showing 7.6.

If Dee and Will were told they had to withhold the news, or that it was withheld from them, look out.

Good on the two of them keeping their cool in such a miserable situation. 

And way better than too many other such stories, (like Spindrift's )

The live commentators were talking about boats being sold before the finish.  Kind of mean, but I can't help wondering whether anyone bought Seaexplorer yet.  They might be regretting it?  Revised advert?  Did we say 2.7 million euros?  Now available at thelow low price of 1.7:unsure:

Tjeez Boris ran into a fisherman. Luckily no one dead or injured. Seen that go deadly wrong in the VOR previous edition. Not completely strange in the dark as the sea before the finish is full with fishermen, see Marinetraffic

image.thumb.png.48fbad66bf57c49ce864d611cb515fa1.png

1 minute ago, Corryvreckan said:

The live commentators were talking about boats being sold before the finish.  Kind of mean, but I can't help wondering whether anyone bought Seaexplorer yet.  They might be regretting it?  Revised advert?  Did we say 2.7 million euros?  Now available at thelow low price of 1.7:unsure:

Gotta figure deals made involving boats still on the water have clauses for that kind of thing...

2 minutes ago, Corryvreckan said:

I bet the contract requires a survey (and consequently a price change or repairs) before the sale is final.

1 minute ago, Chasm said:

Not cool.
I wonder if the jury will have to say something about this...

Like what? Cannot give redress for the actions of a French fisherman or otherwise.....it’s just tough luck....

8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I guess if Yannick finishes fast enough, at least this won't have cost Boris the overall win.  And if Boris can get in within 6 hours of Burton, it won't cost him a podium.  It just might cost him the difference between second and third on Dalin.  And that might have been iffy anyway...  It's possible he would have been third regardless.

and he should be fast on starboard tack again, right? ca. 50 miles to sail on starboard and ca. 70 miles on port

Just now, Chasm said:

Not cool.
I wonder if the jury will have to say something about this...

Good point, but doubtful. You're thinking about Vincent Riou who was awarded third after losing his mast  since it related to the rescue in 2008?

Change course to maximize port foil usage?

1 minute ago, stief said:

Good point, but doubtful. You're thinking about Vincent Riou who was awarded third after losing his mast  since it related to the rescue in 2008?

Vincent damaged his boat hitting Jean's boat during the rescus, nothing to do with Boris' situation

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

And if Boris can get in within 6 hours of Burton, it won't cost him a podium

Rough calcs Burton finishes in 3.5 hours, Boris in 11, Thomas in  8.5 based on VG tracker. Boris gets 6 for rescue - so he will earn a 3rd on corrected time if able to maintain current speed?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Bebmoumoute said:

nothing to do with Boris' situation

Waaaaay less, but not "nothing". As I said, doubtful. I doubt Boris would even ask the jury.

1 minute ago, Cwinsor said:

Rough calcs Burton finishes in 3.5 hours, Boris in 11, Thomas in  8.5 based on VG tracker. Boris gets 6 for rescue - so he will earn a 3rd on corrected time if able to maintain current speed?

"IF" Louis finishes in 3.5 and Boris in 11, that's a 7.5 difference, Louis would be 3rd

3 minutes ago, Cwinsor said:

Not if Yannick is on the podium.

I swear down there’s a curse on non French people winning this race. 

2000: Ellen MacArthur

2007: Mike Golding

2016: Thomson

2020: Hermann/Thomson

And I’m sorry, but the fishing boats KNOW these boats are in the area, they KNOW we can’t see them very well on primary radar. They KNOW they’re on ais, that these skippers probably haven’t slept in the past week or so, that they’re fucking tired and for some haven’t eaten properly in a day or two. Fishing boat needs to take the blame for this. Even if single handed yachts don’t completely satisfy colregs that is a known quantity.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ant1 said:

"IF" Louis finishes in 3.5 and Boris in 11, that's a 7.5 difference, Louis would be 3rd

Louis will finish in less then 2 hours....

1 minute ago, ant1 said:

Boris is not laying the finish, Burton is.

Boris has closer to 100nm to sail so is not going to make the podium.

Linkedout is nearly laying and will probably beat Boris to the finish by more than 6 hours if Boris cannot improve his VMG.

It's a really cruel fate for Boris I'm afraid.

11 minutes ago, stief said:

More along the lines of "SI 11.1.3 Cause injury or damage, range 2, 2-24h penalty".
Boris said in his message that he hit the fishing boat.
Next question is of course if the boat was engaged in fishing or not. - We'll find out soon enough.

SI:

11.1.3 A boat that causes injury or serious damage or that obtains a significant advantage in the race as a result of his breach may ask the committee for a time penalty instead of having to retire from the race. (This changes RRS 44.1(b)). The request must be made as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

No redress for colliding with a fishing boat of course. DSQ more likely in short races, here might be a time penalty.

Edit: Hope not. Really gutted for him

1 minute ago, Raptorsailor said:

And I’m sorry, but the fishing boats KNOW these boats are in the area, they KNOW we can’t see them very well on primary radar. They KNOW they’re on ais, that these skippers probably haven’t slept in the past week or so, that they’re fucking tired and for some haven’t eaten properly in a day or two. Fishing boat needs to take the blame for this. Even if single handed yachts don’t completely satisfy colregs that is a known quantity.

No, I do not think so. Boris as most others killed their AIS some 6? hours ago. VG boats dart with 20+ kn, fishing boats approx. 5 kn. They can trust that everybody keeps a good lookout. Usually you see fishing boats on the radar which probably was not running (no sea+watt generators engaged since hours at Boris). Same issue Volvo Ocean racer darting into harbours or reefs. So lets wait for the full story - we will get to know.

2 minutes ago, Chasm said:

More along the lines of "SI 11.1.3 Cause injury or damage, range 2, 2-24h penalty".
Boris said in his message that he hit the fishing boat.
Next question is of course if the boat was engaged in fishing or not. - We'll find out soon enough.

Got it--thanks.

Just now, Knut Grotzki said:

No, I do not think so. Boris as most others killed their AIS some 6? hours ago. VG boats dart with 20+ kn, fishing boats approx. 5 kn. They can trust that everybody keeps a good lookout. Usually you see fishing boats on the radar which probably was not running (no sea+watt generators engaged since hours at Boris). Same issue Volvo Ocean racer darting into harbours or reefs. So lets wait for the full story - we will get to know.

I stand corrected. 

10 minutes ago, Raptorsailor said:

Dude...most fishing men are not out at sea at night in january cause they are filthy rich..That fishing boat is their income and they will definitely NOT like it if  somebody doing a bit of sport plows into their primary source of income.

• Like 5

Boris's AIS has been out of order for a long time... JLC complained about it a little when they were all sailing within visual range in the indian, because a dead AIS makes it a little more complicated for those around you, so its at least since the indian...

3 minutes ago, Knut Grotzki said:

Why the hell would they turn off their AIS?

1. They know there's lots of fishing boats around so it would be utterly stupid

2. AIS can be picked up from about 12 NM away. Nobody's that close to each other so there's no point. 

3. It's compulsary to have it on according to VG racing rules I believe so they could get a penalty if caught.

Interesting that know one states one obvious fact, this was not serious enough to warrant Boris from having to stop and render assistance.  That would mean no one on the fishing vessel was seriously hurt or that Boris was injured.  It is interesting his continuing immediately only because in such an incident it would not be typical to do a "hit and run" so I do wonder if the fishing vessel waved off Boris for the damage was more to the sailing vessel and not the fishing vessel.

the story on this incident will be something.  I do agree that with these boats screaming along at 20 kts, in the dark, with tired skippers the RC could do something avoid such a moment?  the man is a short distance from a finish after sailing around the world, not how it should be.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Love a good double flare....... Shame for them that the crowd is limited...... but still awesome

Is anyone else getting nervous the way Charlie keeps popping the cap of the flares, then glancing 'down the barrel'?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bucc5062 said:

Interesting that know one states one obvious fact, this was not serious enough to warrant Boris from having to stop and render assistance.  That would mean no one on the fishing vessel was seriously hurt or that Boris was injured.  It is interesting his continuing immediately only because in such an incident it would not be typical to do a "hit and run" so I do wonder if the fishing vessel waved off Boris for the damage was more to the sailing vessel and not the fishing vessel.

the story on this incident will be something.  I do agree that with these boats screaming along at 20 kts, in the dark, with tired skippers the RC could do something avoid such a moment?  the man is a short distance from a finish after sailing around the world, not how it should be.

I've been wondering similar...  Makes me wonder how big the fishing vessel is.  If it's a beastly 120-ft steel hull thing...  Then maybe they had little to no damage, were aware of the race, and told him to go ahead and plan to sort it out later.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, stief said:

re assistance, see  #12005

Well that was also speculative and like I said, if it had been serious he would not have continued.  Words spoken in the heat of the moment may be cooler later on.'

edit:  I read the wrong number

At the back of my beer felt and after a bottle of wine;

Dalin finished 19:35 CET, line honors

Burton 39/17= 2 hrs sailing ETA 28th 00:20

Herrmann 83/7=12 hrs sailing ETA 28th  10:20 -/- 6 hrs = 04:20

Ruyant 108/16,5= 6,5 hrs sailing ETA 28th 04:50

Bestaven 125/18=7 hrs sailing ETA 28th 05:20 -/- 10,25 = 27th 18:55

So when extrapolating Bestaven 1st, Dalin 2nd, Burton 3rd, Herrmann 4th, Ruyant 5th. 

So the collision could have cost Hermann a possible 3rd ranking.

Delta time between Dalin and Bestaven currently estimated at 40 minutes.. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, haribo said:

le Cam 390sm/18kn-16.25=5.4h

boris 83sm/7kn-6=5.8h from now

go boris! clac clac is on his way

So if Boris' boat starts taking on water. JLC picks him up, redress is applied,... oh nevermind, just dreaming.

• Like 4

Ruyant and Bestaven coming in at speed, they will likely finish before Boris now, unless he is okay when on port foil once he gets to their trajectory and gybes, which I somehow doubt

1 minute ago, Knut Grotzki said:

And that is pretty much where I wonder if the International Jury will hand out a (token?) penalty to reinforce that collisions with outsiders are not ok. Esp. if the fishing boat was fishing. It does not seem to change the winner, so no major reason not to do it.
Or if they don't if someone if further up in the hierarchy of the sport will decide to adjust the rules. Obviously not now but for future races. - Working from the assumption that nobody wants a repeat of the Vestas incident.
Worst case a normal court will make an decision sooner or later. And depending on jurisdiction that would be no fun at all. Thinking back to Vestas there was a lot of uncertainty in play for a while.

Just now, TheDragon said:

Ruyant and Bestaven coming in at speed, they will likely finish before Boris now, unless he is okay when on port foil once he gets to their trajectory and gybes, which I somehow doubt

I was wondering about this. If Boris didn’t think he could do better on starboard, wouldn’t he have been better off bearing away and trying to soak downwind straight to the line, rather than attempt to sail a crippled boat at VMG angles? 

Maybe clutching at straws, but hoping it’s a sign he thinks he can go a bit faster again after gybing...

21 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Changing topic, and apologies for all those who think covid is just a little flu, watching this live feed he is shaking hands, hugging, and talking closely with maskless people. YIKES, does he really want to catch covid now?

• Like 3

Dee and Will making good points about Charlie coming back especially to COVID challenges.

And tacking up the ramp :) 

Good job reporting a tough finish.

(now where's that vid of the COVID wine smell-taste test that @Herman might like to try)

• Like 1